Releasing floating lanterns near Thai airports may be punishable by death

webfact

What happens every other year when these sky lanterns are released? I cannot remember it being a large aviation issue previously, but i stand to be corrected.

I guess two quotes would answer your question.

1. Prevention is better than the cure.

2. Better late than never.

Extreme as it is but it will surely help reducing such risks.....

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These floating lanterns could be just as dangerous as the lasers that are also mentioned. Why have the floating lanterns in Bangkok or south of the northern provinces anyway? It isn't part of the culture there, whereas in the north it is.

Despite it being part of the culture there are times when common sense should prevail and these activities could ideally take place southwest of the centres and with prevailing northeasterly winds.

But, the use of the lasers is also highly dangerous and anyone caught using them against aircraft severely dealt with - there have been some nasty incidents on Australia (and no doubt elsewhere) as a result of idiots using them.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

Surely this should read:

Selling floating lanterns near airports may be punishable by death.

How the hell are tourists going to be up to speed on the latest crack downs threatening the death sentence. Unless of course there will be an announcement at the end of the flight arriving into LOS...be aware that the releasing of lanterns near airports is punishable by death and so are drug offences etc etc.

Why are they not threatening the sellers of lanterns near airports??? Oh sorry they are Thai and must be allowed to sell the lanterns to tourists who then bare the whole responsibility for not lighting it and disposing of it safely. Ludicrous to the nth degree!

While this activity is dangerous and not just to aircraft, the death penalty will not be applied unless it is proven that someone was killed. Of course, this is Thailand and who knows but I think this was an overreaction or perhaps a translation error maybe.

Personally, this is a great initiative on the general's behalf. It's in everyone's best interests without doubt. I think though he could have, and probably should have gone harder and cancelled the whole thing. I mean seriously... what's the point anyway? It endangers all and sundry, and let's face it, it is just another party. Any thoughts on new years eve? Cancel or not? Discuss.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It happens every other year when these sky lanterns are released? I cannot remember it being a large aviation issue previously, but i stand to be corrected.

It has certainly been an issue on Koh Samui. Hotels were asked to inform guests to stop releasing lanterns anywhere near the airport. I am told it is illegal, but they are still being sold and released, so evidently the law is not being enforced.

Simple answer for the simpletons, this was not such a big problem 10-12 years ago as flights were few. But now flights are plenty and have been cancelled and monetary losses pile up, hence government looking out for big business again. Do one not get this in the day of social media?

May be tourism spenditure is up when there are no flights for a particular night. The aircrew can take a holiday, more hotel nights, less worries, more parties, more hapiness for the people. What the f...do you guys want?

Stop airtrafic for one or 2 nights and stop threatening with the deathpenalty.

The maximum penalty would seriously impact upon the 900+ already on death row the latest of which is the railway employee who raped and murdered a 13 year old girl on an overnight sleeper train whilst he was under the influence of drugs. Maybe they'd actually have to start carrying out the sentences to accommodate the sudden influx of people facing the death penalty for releasing a lantern -- there'd be tens of thousands in the queue. But of course, T.I.T.

Statistically speaking, you have a greater chance of being hit by a bird which can cause problems to an aircraft than a lantern.

...unless you're taking off or landing at an airport with a temple and/or water within a 5km radius of the flight path during the hours of darkness @ Nov full moon.

"Look Mum, Those fire flies are enormous!"

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If one day an airliner goes down and kill every passenger onboard, I think everybody's opinions will change whether punishment is too harsh or not.

I'd like to propose a little wager then...

What happens every other year when these sky lanterns are released? I cannot remember it being a large aviation issue previously, but i stand to be corrected.

---deleted----

Its going quite far of course.. however I feel that floating lanterns near an airport is a real dangerous thing. If an airplane crashes because of one many lives are lost. Making a threat with a big stick might prevent this from happening.

Just how many aircraft have crashed during the large number of years that Loy Krathong and air travel have co existed? What is the problem with doing exactly as has happened in the last few years like rescheduling flights etc? Could it be that with the junta in control, the various airlines have decided to chance their arm and are lobbying furiously so that we now end up with these knee jerk reactions?

So you want to wait for one to get sucked into a turbine and then say "Typical Thailand, they should ban the balloons around airports?" Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't or won't. This story is probably more relevant to Chiang Mai, where the Airport is in the city, and there have been issues over the last few years. From memory they banned balloon launching for a few hours during peak flight times.

The lasers around airports are also an issue.

This is why I love Thai-Visa, no matter what point is put across, the negative swine always manage to find something to whine about.

Sensationalist headline to flog crap from the owners and puppets of Thai Visa.

Shame on your once good board.

Who's a muppet?

Sensationalist headline to flog crap from the owners and puppets of Thai Visa.

Shame on your once good board.

I'm a Muppet not a Puppet!

Obviously passenger safety is a high priority but this announcement only serves to create dis-information and the frankly stupid notion that a paper lantern which ways a few hundred grams could bring down a passenger airliner weighing several hundred tons.

Just remember that passenger engines are tested in the following ways before being certified safe for use;

1) have over 4.5 tons of water are sprayed into the engine in 1 minute

2) 3/4 of a ton a hail is sprayed into an engine in 1 minute

3) the infamous frozen chicken gun - A frozen chicken is fired into a engine

4) designed to withstand the worst of a lightening strike (if that is at all possible)

All these test need to be passed repeatedly over a test period which averages at least 2 years (probably more) before the engines are used.

As a previous poster mentioned birds are more dangerous than paper lanterns to aircraft.

While I don't disagree with the content of your engine testing information, I think you are missing the point.

To not regulate the release of floating, or other flying things, into the controlled airspace near airports, really does "fly" in the face of modern day common sense and aviation safety standards. Wouldn't you agree?

Remember the threats by the residents around Swampy, upset about aircraft noise? Think it was around 2007/08 or so.

Competently agree that flying things require regulation especially around an airport . I disagree with the idea that they are 'highly dangerous' to aircraft.

Excellent. You included the word "competently" so I would ask you further, why is it that flying things, including balloons, kites and lantern releases, need to be regulated and controlled in these types of areas?

its very dangerous not just for aviation but for wooden houses and dry grass - as beautiful as they look i think its rather a stupid and selfish idea to let a flame loose into the sky.
I also think its very dangerous because it doesnt matter where they are releases they will drift and travel for many killometers.
They have wire mesh inside and if that gets sucked into a jet engine, i think it will do more damage than a pigeon.

---- deleted ------

Its going quite far of course.. however I feel that floating lanterns near an airport is a real dangerous thing. If an airplane crashes because of one many lives are lost. Making a threat with a big stick might prevent this from happening.

Just how many aircraft have crashed during the large number of years that Loy Krathong and air travel have co existed? What is the problem with doing exactly as has happened in the last few years like rescheduling flights etc? Could it be that with the junta in control, the various airlines have decided to chance their arm and are lobbying furiously so that we now end up with these knee jerk reactions?

Ah PTP logic.. no planes have crashed so its safe to light laterns around airports. I guess you think driving drunk is ok too. I mean most of the time nothing happens so its ok.

I think its a sensible thing to put a stop to an unsafe practice, the punishment is overkill but could be seen as a deterrent. (i somehow doubt it would ever put in practice )

This would make sense.... If it was actually dangerous.