American tourist plunges to his death from 27th floor of Pattaya condo

webfact

They say a fall from even 2 meters can kill you.

Glad this guy wasn't taking any chances and went for 27 floors.

Its always got to be doubly tough to try and kill yourself only to survive a paraplegic.

I really try and discourage American males from coming over here IF they are showing any signs of mental health issues since this place only makes them worse...eventually.

Wonder if the family back home will need assistance on this end.

I have to agree with you, ClutchClark, that Pattaya is not a place to recommend for the weak hearted...

I moved to Pattaya in 2001 and have yet to see one person becoming better or saner after moving here. On the other hand I did witness a lot of sad metamorphoses.

This place somehow seems to bring out the worst in almost everyone (so many Thais also tend to change for the worst when they settle in this city). Most expats (especially the retired ones) tend to become utterly selfish, disanchanted, self-centered, bitter, racist, alcoholic, sexoholic and seemingly incapable of developing an interest in anything that is not about sex or food.

A guy I met after moving here (he left one year later) once said to me : "to survive in this place, you absolutely need to have an inner life". I think he was right. Yoga, meditation, sports, reading, writing, listening to usic or playing an instrument, learning Thai or other languages, these are all acitivities that can, and will help maintain your mental health.

But I don't see many people around here who show the slightest interest in any of those. Unless sex counts as a sport of course.

Yann,

I have reached my quota of positive votes for the day or I would certainly give you one for this insightful and spot-on observation. I have seen this same downward spiral in Latin America.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its always got to be doubly tough to try and kill yourself only to survive a paraplegic.

I really try and discourage American males from coming over here IF they are showing any signs of mental health issues since this place only makes them worse...eventually.

I have to agree with you, ClutchClark, that Pattaya is not a place to recommend for the weak hearted...

I moved to Pattaya in 2001 and have yet to see one person becoming better or saner after moving here. On the other hand I did witness a lot of sad metamorphoses.

This place somehow seems to bring out the worst in almost everyone (so many Thais also tend to change for the worst when they settle in this city). Most expats (especially the retired ones) tend to become utterly selfish, disanchanted, self-centered, bitter, racist, alcoholic, sexoholic and seemingly incapable of developing an interest in anything that is not about sex or food.

A guy I met after moving here (he left one year later) once said to me : "to survive in this place, you absolutely need to have an inner life". I think he was right. Yoga, meditation, sports, reading, writing, listening to music or playing an instrument, learning Thai or other languages, these are all acitivities that can, and will help maintain your mental health.

But I don't see many people around here who show the slightest interest in any of those. Unless sex counts as a sport of course.

moved here this year, brought my guitars, joined the gym in the mirage, tackle the language in the new year, Edited by flynn
  • Like 1

A guy I met after moving here (he left one year later) once said to me : "to survive in this place, you absolutely need to have an inner life". I think he was right. Yoga, meditation, sports, reading, writing, listening to music or playing an instrument, learning Thai or other languages, these are all acitivities that can, and will help maintain your mental health.

moved here this year, brought my guitars, joined the gym in the mirage, tackle the language in the new year,

Good on you Flynn ! You sound like good friend material !! Cheers, Yann

This was reported on national news channel this morning.

The police were trying to talk the man down, but he jumped with the cameras

rolling, and all shown on national tv.

Sickening to see, and even more sickening for a national tv channel to allow such a

tragic event to be aired.

Feel sorry for the family and friends of the deceased RIP.

Why is it sick.

This is thailand, not your own country.

The ways are different here, that is why you like it so much here.

Because if it was all the same as your home country, why would you ever come here.

Don't be a hypocrite, take it all as it comes or leave it.

And not try to pick only the good,things out of it.

For the rest,

Rip to the one who jumped, maybe he had good reasons to do so.

yeah, so if your not here for the prostitution, corruption or bribery. gggeeeeeetttt ouuutt.

• Like 1

This was reported on national news channel this morning.

The police were trying to talk the man down, but he jumped with the cameras

rolling, and all shown on national tv.

Sickening to see, and even more sickening for a national tv channel to allow such a

Feel sorry for the family and friends of the deceased RIP.

No one's forcing you to watch. If it sickens you change the channel. Personally, I don't want my news edited or censored. Maybe if a few more people were in touch with the real aspects of committing suicide and other accidents and crimes they'd be less inclined to commit them and would be more careful and avoid reckless endangering behavior.

Change the channel?

This was on a national news channel!

How the hell are you supposed to know what they are about to show on the screen until it's

already been shown.

Not only that, but it was on at 12 noon right in the middle of the day!

Why is it sick.

This is thailand, not your own country.

The ways are different here, that is why you like it so much here.

Because if it was all the same as your home country, why would you ever come here.

Thailand is full of rubber-necked dolts of many nationalities who enjoy gaping at blood and gore.

But that isn't a valid reason to cater to them and to do so is indeed morally indefensible.

Why do I live here? Because it's fairly cheap, I pay no tax (legally), it's easy to get a long visa and I never have to wear an anorak or overcoat. But it's not because I like the way many things are done here.

• Like 2

I agree. I moved out of Pattaya a year ago and now live in Chiang Mai. It's a far better place for the soul.

Briggsy, on 05 Nov 2014 - 12:48, said:

If he had run out of money, he could have sold the condo. RIP Mr Rex. wai2.gif

How do you know he owned this condo. Just to fill you in many people rent condos in Pattaya

He could have got the deposit back. RIP Mr Rex wai2.gif

Any suicide is horrible, but this guy had to of had more issues. He stated that "he had run out of cash but he did not want to go home", so instead, he jumps out of a 27 story window/balcony... OK, there are many options he could have chosen:

1. Contact family or friends for a temporary loan.

2. If there wasn't any family or friends, then I have found that many people in Pattaya do have a heart and would have fed him and potentially even have put him up in a temporary room to sleep while he organized his thoughts and how he would proceed from that point on.

3. Contact the US Embassy and explain himself that he has no money, no passport, no family and or friends and how can they help.

These are just a few, but I'm certain that when times get tough, you go through stages...you feel sorry for yourself but eventually you come to grips with life and do something about it.

It's awful to hear of such suicides. Thailand is NOT for the weak. If you cannot control yourself, you will end up broke or worst. I stopped reading reading the paper in Pattaya or even Pattaya news sites because all you read about are rapes, suicides, murders. And the one that is found more often than not, are suicides. Tooooo many! I've never traveled through a country where I have read of so many suicides occurring so often (daily).

Very sad indeed. RIP

Anyone taking this course is a choice,their choice. We all die,we all catch up,just is there anything after it all?

Guy years ago threatened this off tall building in the UK. took quite some time for him to decide. Three machines at local station , all went out in turns with big ladders,standing by as the incident was taking some time,eventually he did jump,the static involved crew returned soon after shovelling up the remains,put them right off their lunch,more for the remaining crews.If there is a humorous moment ,that was it

RIP poor man.

But how bad is home that these guys would rather top themselves than go back home?

I'm from Australia, I love living in LOS, been here a long time and plan on staying for much longer. But if for any reason it all came to an end and I had to return to Australia then so be it. I'll enjoy life watching footy and drinking cans of VB and sharing dirty jokes with my mates around the barbi.

I'm AU.....and your point is exactly what. You love life and that's great....how's this got to do with bloke that clearly must of been in desperate state. Ta for the update on shrimp on the barbie.

Was he a resident or really a tourist?

Sorry to anyone who knew him to hear about this.

he was well known on the pattaya talk forum{Vic Vegas] totally unexpected it seems.rip.

I have suggested this before................but it got nowhere

"TV" could introduce a....."help line"..... for people at their "wits end"

Here is a case of ....."One of Ours"......who, by having a chat to one someone with a friendly ear....... may just have been given a reason to believe that there could be a......."light at the end of the tunnel"

Yes I know that there is a form of Samaritans in this country..............

But he may have felt more "comfortable" and "inclined", to reach out to one of us

RIP Vic Vegas