Groan

Got my Ed Visa in Savannakhet. No problem.

Instead of going back to the hotel like a good boy I went to Sala Beer which is quite close to my hotel.

Woke up this morning without a passport. Think I left it on the table when paying my bill.

Savannakhet isn't the best place to be stuck in!

Groan...

• Like 1

The problem is getting there without a passport in the first place. Airlines won't let you board. If you do get aboard, you will be turned away at immigration, possibly detained till your identity is established and than send back to your home country.

• Like 1

Been around various government buildings at out to the airport. They're getting some document together that will allow me to travel.

But Thai immirgation might not accept it. You will need to get an emergency passport if you can't find your passport.

I would contact your embassy in Laos, if they don't have one than the one in BKK.

The travel document the Loas government issues might only be good to travel to your home country. Check this very carefully.

Emergency documents issued by your government are accepted.

https://www.dfa.ie/embassies/irish-embassies-abroad/asia-and-oceania/laos/

Diplomatic and Consular Information for Laos

We do not have an embassy in this country however you can contact the Irish Embassy, Consulate General or Honorary Consulate listed below

Diplomatic and Consular Information for Vietnam Embassy of Ireland
2nd floor, Sentinel Place
41A Ly Thai To
Hoan Kiem District
Hanoi
Vietnam
Tel: +84 4 3974 3291 Fax: +84 4 3974 3295

Similar thing happend to me back in my drunken days although the location was in the Philippines. Lost my passport during a bar hopping night. Went back myself to look for it the next day but with no results. Then sent a philippino friend back with advice to offer to pay a little for getting the passport back. And within 20 minutes the passport was back.....

In general when one comes into the rather difficult situation that the passport is gone the first thing one have to do is report it to the police. Then one have to go to the nearest embassy or consulate of the country of ones origin and explain the situation. Bring the papers from the police. They will in most cases be able to give you a so called emergency passport. This usually allow you one trip back to your country of origin.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help guys, but this story now ends with a twist.

After spending all day going to various government buildings I asked my driver to take me back to the bar I was drinking in last night so that I could offer a reward.

As we were leaving he walked over to a nearby food stall to ask them if they had heard anything. A guy gets up from his hammock, drags a cardboard box from under the counter and pulls out my passport!

Unbelievable. Such a relief.

All the best

Mick

Great news, glad you got it back. I'm sure you will be more careful the next time.

Excellent new, so glad for you that you got it back.

Now, everybody reading this thread take warning...do not going doing dumb things like leaving your passport on a bar while you're on the lash.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for the help guys, but this story now ends with a twist.

After spending all day going to various government buildings I asked my driver to take me back to the bar I was drinking in last night so that I could offer a reward.

As we were leaving he walked over to a nearby food stall to ask them if they had heard anything. A guy gets up from his hammock, drags a cardboard box from under the counter and pulls out my passport!

Unbelievable. Such a relief.

All the best

Mick

Wow! I believe this is called Divine intervention...........Universe looking out for it's own!