Travel Insurance for someone over 70

ukrules

My mother's coming to Thailand for just under two months and I'm wondering what her options are for travel insurance.

She's getting a 60 day tourist visa so there's no problem there as the trip is less than 60 days.

I believe things change for insurance once you hit 70 years old, her 70th birthday was this year and she's finding that most of the insurance quotes she can find only provide cover for one month or they are much more expensive than she's paid before.

For example she went to India at the start of the year when she was 69 years old and the insurance amount was pretty cheap.

One website (Saga I think) quoted her about £270 for a trip to Thailand which will be less than two months, only about £30 cheaper than their annual multi trip policy.

The flight only cost about £450 with Lufthansa when she booked it a few months ago so it seems a little unusual that the insurance would cost so much.

She doesn't like wasting money and probably isn't going to do much in the way of travelling for the rest of the year.

Does anyone have any ideas where a 70 year old can get a good quote for travel insurance for a trip which is just under 60 days in length ?

Edited by ukrules

My mother's coming to Thailand for just under two months and I'm wondering what her options are for travel insurance.

She's getting a 60 day tourist visa so there's no problem there as the trip is less than 60 days.

I believe things change for insurance once you hit 70 years old, her 70th birthday was this year and she's finding that most of the insurance quotes she can find only provide cover for one month or they are much more expensive than she's paid before.

For example she went to India at the start of the year when she was 69 years old and the insurance amount was pretty cheap.

One website (Saga I think) quoted her about £270 for a trip to Thailand which will be less than two months, only about £30 cheaper than their annual multi trip policy.

The flight only cost about £450 with Lufthansa when she booked it a few months ago so it seems a little unusual that the insurance would cost so much.

She doesn't like wasting money and probably isn't going to do much in the way of travelling for the rest of the year.

Does anyone have any ideas where a 70 year old can get a good quote for travel insurance for a trip which is just under 60 days in length ?

Does she have travel insurance through her bank account? Most banks offer this now, If she does ask them to extend the insurance because this is only for 30 days. I will get in touch with inlaws they are both 70 and are travelling to Thailand for same length of time in January and I will ask who they use.

Or tell her to go on compare the market this will bring up best deal.

• Like 1

She has no bank related insurance, I asked her about that when we last spoke.

I checked out compare the market and it does bring up a few options which are much cheaper.

I'd appreciate any feedback on good policies for the over 70's.

I always read the smallprint and some of them exclude pretty much everything that could go wrong if you've even been to a doctor or consultant recently. She saw a consultant who sent her for an MRI for a back pain issue. This is not something which will suddenly cause an issue, it's more of an annoying pain thing. However, reading the small print I suspect that if she fell down some stairs and broke her back this would be excluded due to visitng a consultant during the past 6 months for a back related issue.

Some of the exclusions I've read about would leave a lot of people with almost zero cover apart from random accidents.

Most of my pensioner UK chums, have taken out RBS/Nat West premium bank accounts to cover their travel insurance.

No age limit, and valid for up to 6 months travel in any year.

Premium -Just increased to £15 per month.

As usual, any medical history has to be declared when signing up.

Getting insurance when you have turned 70 is a night mare. I have tried many times and they hit you with so many conditions I never can get insured, I am 73 next month, had a bypass over 20yrs ago and pass all test's but never get covered for any thing related to the heart. If you have had a problem with anything they do not pay if you have a problem that they can find that would come close to that pervious problem.

I never bother.

Thanks for the replies. I'm only 42 so this has been an eye opener for me.

If you're 70 or over things are certainly tightened up - they don't want to pay for anything.

I have come to the conclusion that if you had high blood pressure, uncontrolled cholesterol and left it untreated and undiagnosed you will get cheap comprehensive cover which will pay for treatment of all forms of illness. The more reckless and irresponsible you are over the years the more cover you get and the cheaper it is.

If on the other hand you've been careful, had regular medical checkups and sought treatment for things like high blood pressure, etc over the years you no longer have cover for a heart attack or stroke. Even if the high blood pressure has been successfully treated so that it's not actually high any more and hasn't been any higher than the normal levels for decades - you're considered a higher risk and excluded from lots of issues.

I've come to the conslusion that people should take out some kind of permanent cover when they're young and keep it up throughout their lives whether they really need it or not, this is the only way to preempt 'existing conditions' which can sneak up on you over time.

Also the less your doctor knows about you the better, once something goes in your file it looks like it will be used against you at every opportunity by the insurance industry.

One major problem here is that a lot of people in the UK don't have any permanently ongoing private health insurance due to the NHS so most people take out policies only when they need them which leaves them without the cover they need. This whole industry in the UK is pretty screwed up.

I checked out compare the market and it does bring up a few options which are much cheaper.

I always read the smallprint and some of them exclude pretty much everything that could go wrong if you've even been to a doctor or consultant recently. She saw a consultant who sent her for an MRI for a back pain issue. This is not something which will suddenly cause an issue, it's more of an annoying pain thing. However, reading the small print I suspect that if she fell down some stairs and broke her back this would be excluded due to visitng a consultant during the past 6 months for a back related issue.

Some of the exclusions I've read about would leave a lot of people with almost zero cover apart from random accidents.

Do your mother living in germany?

No, she's in the UK. She decided to go with the 'Thai Tourism Authority' offering for now, it appears to be a policy issued by Allianz.

When you read the policy documents they're all very similar to each other.

No, she's in the UK. She decided to go with the 'Thai Tourism Authority' offering for now, it appears to be a policy issued by Allianz.

Allianz is the biggest insurance company in europe very serious, is not the cheapest but had never trouble when I needed them.

Als long I know zhey having a relation with ayuttahya bank in thailand.

Any cna you tell me what 7ß+ costs for 60 days?

Allianz is the biggest insurance company in europe very serious, is not the cheapest but had never trouble when I needed them.

Als long I know zhey having a relation with ayuttahya bank in thailand.

Any cna you tell me what 7ß+ costs for 60 days?

On the website is says they offer insurance from 1 year old to 70 years old so I think once you're over 70 there's no insurance available.

Person age between 1-70 years is insurable

I guess that means a 70 year old will qualify for the policy

Here's the prices, they have two plans depending on what cover you want : http://www.tourismthailand.org/ThailandTravelShield/

Wandering off slightly, I noticed you said your Mum will have a 60 day tourist visa. Now that the 30 day visa waiver stamp entry can be extended a further 30 days, why bother with the visa?

She's coming for more than 30 days (about 50 in total) with no side trips outside Thailand so the airline could refuse travel without a visa - as crazy as it sounds that's what the immigration rules say.

A single entry visa will cover her whole trip and she won't need to bother going to the immigration office at all.