Russia seeks closer defence cooperation with Thailand

webfact

Got to love Russian bashing.

Let's see who should thailand be friends with? Someone who offers friendship or someone who dictates the terms of it

Someone who is closer or further

Someone whose nationals invest more in 1 year than any other nation

Someone who has close ties with another 3 neighbouring countries or someone who threats sanctions.

Hard choices there.i wonder what Thailand would chose especially since last words of "condemnation "

Russia had many "friends" in Eastern Europe after WW2. Why Russia even redrew the borders of their countries for them, and stationed lots of military there to 'protect them".

How many want to be friends with them now?

Amazingly they all want to join the EU and NATO.

Can you think why that might be Comrade?

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

Not only have to Russkees dumped all their Vodka laden " tourist " on Thailand by the millions,

now they want to dump their dilapidated arms and military equipment on Thailand as well,

and i's sure, as the day is long, that they will find a "sympathetic" general whom they will persuade

to by the surplus junk from them...

I remember in the first Gulf war. The Iraqi army had some up to date Russian armor and were thought formidable. The American and British tanks went through them like dose of salts. Norm the Storm was worried it was so easy. The Iraqi soldiers were blames at first, then it was realized how crap the Russian equipment was. They go in for quantity, not quality. Odd exceptions of course.

Another step away from the USA and a bigger step closer to Russia and China . . . not so sure that's such a great idea . . .

What strategic value does Thailand have that Russia wants?

Safe go go bars? attachicon.gifhot-stuff-for-love_1619359i.jpg

The opportunity to take over all the go-go bars in Pattaya? Seems like they are halfway there tho . . .

Thailand is also a growing market for Russian tourists, so I expect to see free visa's soon etc etc, same as with the Chinese.

And let's not forget the real estate business also . . .

On one hand, we have parts of Thailand turned into a giant Russian slum. On the other, it's being made into an extension of the great Chinese sweatshop. Bright days are indeed on the horizon.

your forgot to mention the us, aussies and gb slums as the greatest slumsin thailand.

Just waiting for the day when we see the Russian fleet arrive in Pattaya and the Russian air forces Su-30M2, Su-30SM, and Su-35S and the Tupolev TU -142 along with a few Ilyushin Il-78 heavy transports and an assortment of attack helicopters operating out of the U-Tapao Rayong air base.biggrin.png

Don't forget the Tu-95 "Bear" and the Tu-160 "Blackjack" Strategic Bombers stopping for some R&R after a Long-Range Pacific Ocean training mission.

Just waiting for the day when we see the Russian fleet arrive in Pattaya and the Russian air forces Su-30M2, Su-30SM, and Su-35S and the Tupolev TU -142 along with a few Ilyushin Il-78 heavy transports and an assortment of attack helicopters operating out of the U-Tapao Rayong air base.biggrin.png

Don't forget the Tu-95 "Bear" and the Tu-160 "Blackjack" Strategic Bombers stopping for some R&R after a Long-Range Pacific Ocean training mission.

I never read much about the TU-160 flying somewhere, only the TU-95. Don't know why. China is interested in the TU-160, I read.

On one hand, we have parts of Thailand turned into a giant Russian slum. On the other, it's being made into an extension of the great Chinese sweatshop. Bright days are indeed on the horizon.

your forgot to mention the us, aussies and gb slums as the greatest slumsin thailand.

What country do you come from?

Jealous you don't have a slum of your own here?

• Like 1

Not only have to Russkees dumped all their Vodka laden " tourist " on Thailand by the millions,

now they want to dump their dilapidated arms and military equipment on Thailand as well,

and i's sure, as the day is long, that they will find a "sympathetic" general whom they will persuade

I remember in the first Gulf war. The Iraqi army had some up to date Russian armor and were thought formidable. The American and British tanks went through them like dose of salts. Norm the Storm was worried it was so easy. The Iraqi soldiers were blames at first, then it was realized how crap the Russian equipment was. They go in for quantity, not quality. Odd exceptions of course.

The Iraq equipment was 30 years old and the USA controlled the air. On the tanks, the modern American tanks could shoot a lot more far and terrain was flat and open.

That doesn't mean anything beside that the Iraqi Generals were idiots. Modern Russian equipment is more or less equal, or at least not far behind. See Georgia.

Old Man River post # 26.

Look back in history and even the recent few years indeed there is no love lost twixt Russia and China,. Thailand could be an important strategic base for the Russians in times of strife.

Well, thanks to Obama Russia and China cooperate well now. Some border issues are cleared a few years ago by Putin. They were once joking, that they aren't friends, but share the same goals so they cooperate. As more they are threatened as closer they'll stick together.

"He pointed out that Russia is a democracy and, hence believes that all problems in Thailand should be resolved in a democratic manner" as they do in Russia: state controlled media, lock up any potential political opponents. They do share many common values. They understand corruption and payoffs in similar vein. And similar view of what 'democracy" means.

Amazing they can claim Russia does not interfere in other countries domestic disputes.... just like to vacation in Ukraine, Take over Crimea for the beaches, put base in Moldova and refuse to leave. Ukraine should have never trusted Russia signing treaty stating would respect Ukraine's integrity when Ukraine unilaterally nuke disarmed... Russian government is group of thugs. Should do quite well with Thailand.

Got to love the russian haters, they sht bricks just at the mention of cooperation between two countries. Why expanding a NATO is a good thing and when the counterpart does the same thing you scream foul play? I mean it's not like rednecks were sharing candy to Afghans,Iraq, Libya, Syria, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Korea, Yugoslavia and many more for the past half a century.

Another step away from the USA and a bigger step closer to Russia and China . . . not so sure that's such a great idea . . .

Safe go go bars? attachicon.gifhot-stuff-for-love_1619359i.jpg

The opportunity to take over all the go-go bars in Pattaya? Seems like they are halfway there tho . . .

Thailand is also a growing market for Russian tourists, so I expect to see free visa's soon etc etc, same as with the Chinese.

Those relate to economics. They seem to want a closeness on the military side. Maybe it's just arms purchases...

Got to love Russian bashing.

Let's see who should thailand be friends with? Someone who offers friendship or someone who dictates the terms of it

Someone who is closer or further

Someone whose nationals invest more in 1 year than any other nation

Someone who has close ties with another 3 neighbouring countries or someone who threats sanctions.

Hard choices there.i wonder what Thailand would chose especially since last words of "condemnation "

Russia had many "friends" in Eastern Europe after WW2. Why Russia even redrew the borders of their countries for them, and stationed lots of military there to 'protect them".

How many want to be friends with them now?

Amazingly they all want to join the EU and NATO.

Can you think why that might be Comrade?

They all want to join EU? the failing EU or the falling apart EU?

Yes Russia still has many friends and just made a few news ones, who all happen to be growing economy's while "others" are busy keeping friends from falling apart economy'sthumbsup.gif

"He pointed out that Russia is a democracy and, hence believes that all problems in Thailand should be resolved in a democratic manner" as they do in Russia: state controlled media, lock up any potential political opponents. They do share many common values. They understand corruption and payoffs in similar vein. And similar view of what 'democracy" means.

Amazing they can claim Russia does not interfere in other countries domestic disputes.... just like to vacation in Ukraine, Take over Crimea for the beaches, put base in Moldova and refuse to leave. Ukraine should have never trusted Russia signing treaty stating would respect Ukraine's integrity when Ukraine unilaterally nuke disarmed... Russian government is group of thugs. Should do quite well with Thailand.

But you forgot to mention that Ukraine before had a coup and wanted to forbid the Russian minority to speak their language and forbid Russia friendly parties. And you forgot to mention that over 90 % voted for Russia in the Krim with over 80 % voter turnout. So not only the Russians voted to leave Ukraine also a fair share of Ukrainian.

Just typical of the p!$$ing contest between Putin and the yanks. coffee1.gif

However, I did appreciate the quick-fire jokes...

" It is Russia's national character to not interfere with other countries' domestic affairs," Barskiy told Nation Multimedia Group chairman Suthichai Yoon in a recent interview. "Only the people of Thailand know best what to do and how to do it."

It's the way I tell 'em....every one's a cracker.

Obviously he hasn't been reading world press reports on Russian interference in Ukrains' domestic affairs.

Old Man River post # 26.

Look back in history and even the recent few years indeed there is no love lost twixt Russia and China,. Thailand could be an important strategic base for the Russians in times of strife.

That is kind of what I was afraid of. The US focuses on VN, and a few short months later the Russians fill the void.

Edited by Old Man River

Those relate to economics. They seem to want a closeness on the military side. Maybe it's just arms purchases...

It's all connected. I didn't mention the "arms" as that was implicit in the original article, but there are numerous reasons that Thailand/Russia (and indeed Chine also) are getting a touch more chummy. I see "Asia" (especially Thailand) pulling away from the USA day by day and moving closer to China for example . . . lots of quality tourists from there to come spend their pennies in Thailand don't you know . . . whistling.gif

It's all connected. I didn't mention the "arms" as that was implicit in the original article, but there are numerous reasons that Thailand/Russia (and indeed Chine also) are getting a touch more chummy. I see "Asia" (especially Thailand) pulling away from the USA day by day and moving closer to China for example . . . lots of quality tourists from there to come spend their pennies in Thailand don't you know . . . whistling.gif

China wasn't unexpected, but Russia?

There are 10 countries in ASEAN. The US is now relatively close to 5: VN, Indonesia, Myanmar, Singapore, and The Philippines. I think they were counting on Thailand for the 6th (or 5th depending on how things go with Myanmar), so I don't think they are explicitly trying to lose Thailand. China is everywhere anyway, but if Russia throws things Thailand's way at a time when Thailand's economy needs a boost, not lectures, it will be difficult for the US to count on Thailand's vote.

but isn't it just the perfect way to piss off the Americans and the Chinese at the same time.....

I especially like the reference to energy cooperation. I am sure that Thailand would love Russia to develop their nuclear reactors , using maybe the Ukrainian safety model......

and how about some nice shiny surface to air missiles.... perfect for those pesky Malaysian airlines flying overhead and violating Thai sovereign airspace...

such huge potential... maybe a photo of Putin in a judo costume to put in every Thai home above the TV...

We expats should butt out it is up to the Thais

Remember Russia and China really care for the poor and all different type of people not like America that favors only the rich whites

Right... As a rich white American I'm deeply disturbed by your ignorance of Chinese and Russian history regarding the poor and political dissension.

Edited by Local Drunk

The Iraq equipment was 30 years old and the USA controlled the air. On the tanks, the modern American tanks could shoot a lot more far and terrain was flat and open.

That doesn't mean anything beside that the Iraqi Generals were idiots. Modern Russian equipment is more or less equal, or at least not far behind. See Georgia.

Rubbish. Iraq had very modern Russian tanks at that time. Many battles were tank on tank and at night. Their generals weren't idiots and neither were a lot of their soldiers, many of whom gave their lives. Captured ones spoke volumes about the performance of what at the time was modern Russian equipment.

If you're ever lucky enough to meet someone from the old British regiment called the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars who was there ask them. Or any American armored corps veterans, that served.

Russia has updated of course as all military have. If it does kick off, and I hope it doesn't, I'd sooner be standing shoulder to shoulder with my American cousins than some Rusky. They are patriotic and often display a thuggish mentality, sober or drunk. But, how many wars have they actually won? Bullying little countries - yep, good at that alright.

Remember Russia and China really care for the poor and all different type of people not like America that favors only the rich whites

Right... As a rich white American I'm deeply disturbed by your ignorance of Chinese and Russian history regarding the poor and political dissension.

How many millions of their own working/peasant class people have been murdered by Russian and Chinese leaders. No trials, denounced, taken away, executed.

I hope Harry was being sarcastic. Any one who thinks China and Russia care about the world's poor probably thinks communism really works.

Rubbish. Iraq had very modern Russian tanks at that time. Many battles were tank on tank and at night. Their generals weren't idiots and neither were a lot of their soldiers, many of whom gave their lives. Captured ones spoke volumes about the performance of what at the time was modern Russian equipment.

If you're ever lucky enough to meet someone from the old British regiment called the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars who was there ask them. Or any American armored corps veterans, that served.

Russia has updated of course as all military have. If it does kick off, and I hope it doesn't, I'd sooner be standing shoulder to shoulder with my American cousins than some Rusky. They are patriotic and often display a thuggish mentality, sober or drunk. But, how many wars have they actually won? Bullying little countries - yep, good at that alright.

What wars have Russians won? 2 of the 3 biggest words ever. Second world war and Napoleonic war. While Brits and Yankees were hiding behind a water channel.

• 1 month later...

Since 1978, China has lifted 500+ million of its people out of poverty. The biggest number in human history.