Foreign tourists can be assured of safety in Thailand, says Kobkarn

webfact

Seriously, you'd have to be dumber than dumb to say what she said.

But there is no recourse for her stupidity when the next tourist is stabbed or raped.

How does someone so dumb get into a position of power like this?

Then again, it's not the first time a completely inept woman, with zero experience (besides shopping) besides a family connection was put into power.

...and that worked out well.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were going to issue "real-world" travel advisory for Thailand, it would be the following:

Real World Travel Advisory for All Tourists in Thailand

• Don't ride a motorbike unless you know what you are doing
  • Don't ever cause a Thai man (or any Thai person) to lose face, especially publicly, because retribution will be certain, will come as a surprise, and will be way out of proportion to what you would ever expect
  • Don’t ever get into a fight with a tuk tuk or motorbike taxi driver, a ladyboy, or a young Thai man . . . if you do then you will be fighting a minimum of 5 people within seconds, most with weapons of some sort (a ladyboy’s high heels being the most lethal)...basically just never get into a fight in Thailand, because you will not win.
  • Don't do anything stupid that you wouldn't do in your home country

Special Advisory for Female Travelers in Thailand

These precautions should be SOP for ladies traveling anywhere in the world, not just in Thailand:

• Don't wave your handbags around when walking on the street
  • Don't get in taxis, tuk tuks or on motorbike taxis alone late at night
  • Don't wander isolated places alone anytime at night
  • Keep an eye on your drink in tourist areas so nothing gets slipped into it
  • Don’t get extremely drunk unless you’re in the company of more than one good friend, and
  • Don’t box yourself into a situation alone with a man that you can’t get out of

Special Advisory for Male Travelers in Thailand

• Don't ever go into a Thai karaoke joint--the kind with ladies out front (I'm not talking about Beer Bars, those are fine if you observe the previous rule) without a good Thai friend . . . and even then, don't go
  • Keep an eye on your drink in Bar Beer areas (the ones with ladies), or anywhere you go with a lady from these bars, to make sure you don’t get slipped a Mickey (I would bet that a vast majority of the balcony leaps and men who go to sleep and don't wake up come from this).

If you follow these rules, then I believe Thailand is safer than almost any other country you could visit, including my home country for sure. I personally have very little fear for my safety at any time of the day, in any area of Thailand . . . as long as I follow my own rules (which I don't always do and have learned the hard way why I should).

I know this because I have traveled extensively for long periods of time in "third-world" and "developing" countries, and because I have cumulatively spent more than a decade in Thailand

• Like 2

And he had the nerve to say this while in London on a travel fare!!!!!! Best he visits the FO while he's there and tries to tell that to them

SHE is clearly not the only one confused!! Khun Kobkarn is a lady!!rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Let's be fair, Thailand is a very safe country for the vast majority of tourists. Dare I say one of the safest tourist destinations.

However, I had to laugh when I saw the mention of clean disabled toilet access.

Tourism may be the main source of foreign currency earnings for Thailand, and no doubt it's very important in places like Phuket etc. But Tourism does not represent a major part of Thailand's GDP, most foreigners overestimate the importance of tourism to Thailand's economy.

. ...

"In the WTCC Travel & Tourism Economic Impact 2014, the council said the industry contribution to GDP was 20.2% in 2013. The council calculated the GDP that is generated directly by the travel and tourism sector, plus its indirect and induced impacts, that cover spending by foreign and local in both business and leisure spending and supplychain effects" QUOTE

No we don't overestimate the importance of the tourist $$!! A 5th of the total GDP!!

For years we have been listening to the Thai nonsense, about how little impact our visits here, meant to the total economy!! Pure Thai arrogance!!

Why do you think, they are out with the begging-bowl now??

As for the safety aspect, I agree with you!!

• Like 1

Did Kobkarn win her position at TAT at this place: http://www.thailuckydraw.com ?

If you'd like to know more about Ms Kobkarn, check out this link to an interesting article about her.

http://khonkaen.ws/minister-of-tourism-and-sports-kobkarn-wattanavrangkul

You'll find the typical qualifications for a ministerial post such as this, no experience in the tourism sector for starters.

Thailand is surely safe, she said so. Maybe she hasn't had time to read the Newspapers too much? Apart from the now epic police work on KT and the countless Aussies and Americans who have been beaten, murdered, conned etc (not forgetting the young woman from Cambridge who was murdered on KS she should take time out and look at things like this for starters; http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2820905/Savagely-attacked-Thailand-betrayed-NatWest.html? This was well concealed and probably wouldn't have made the news if not for Natwest and their black-hearted attitude towards the girl

Here we go again !!!

This is part of the problem .... They keep telling tourist that this country is safe and not to worry. Then tourist come and drop their guard and get raped, mugged or murdered.

Thailand hello ... This country is not safe so quit telling people it is.

Well she could hardly have said anything different. She is after all tasked with "selling" Thailand for holidays.

The question is whether there is any follow through on some of the safety items she mentioned and that is probably where the problem arises. Implementation and then sustaining action is not something the Thai authorities have a good track record in.

Of course, tourists should also be carefull to not get drunk to the extent of incapacity and avoid being alone on the streets in the early hours of the morning. That is common sense anywhere in the world.

Eliminating known criminal practices, such as jet ski scams should be a given, but it's not of course.

She has a quite impressive background...President of Toshiba here in Thailand....(don't know if she has dropped that role and I can't remember it being mentioned)....however, she does come out with some pretty dopey comments!

Not long ago it was digital wristbands for tourists......now it's that all tourists can be assured assured of their safety........

2 days ago a lady in KS road was assaulted.....there's daily bashings of tourists in Pattaya, Phuket and etc.......drownings from tourists boats.....

Maybe she needs a new script writer!

You think she actually ever managed the place or just signed the cheques and the company minutes?

She and her family is a front, a nominee, a smoother, a fixer and at the end of the day and rent taker.

She is absolutely clueless and incapable of managing the Thai tourism industry.

• Like 1

Let's be fair, Thailand is a very safe country for the vast majority of tourists. Dare I say one of the safest tourist destinations.

However, I had to laugh when I saw the mention of clean disabled toilet access.

Tourism may be the main source of foreign currency earnings for Thailand, and no doubt it's very important in places like Phuket etc. But Tourism does not represent a major part of Thailand's GDP, most foreigners overestimate the importance of tourism to Thailand's economy.

Where on earth do you get that assumption from.

It is statistically definitely not a very safe place to travel. Embassy statistics bear that out.

Tourism at a low estimate is 6 to 10% of GDP and has a huge multiplier effect. This doesn't measure the black market economy around it. If thailand would prefer, I am sure all the tourists can be encouraged to leave and never return since it it so insignificant .

Then see what happens to the economies of the eastern seaboard and the islands. Tourism feeds millions of the poorest educated in Thailand . From hotel maids, to guides, to bar girls to jet ski operators and their families would all starve because Thailand cannot provide 3 to 8mn well paying jobs to rehouse these people directly or indirectly fed by the tourism business.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

Safety for " Foriegn Tourists " ( why not every tourist ? ) is easily assured.

As the Authorities have already demonstrated with the Full Moon Parties, you herd all the Tourists into a few very small areas that has been designated by them, and then surround them with hundreds of Police Officers.

She may have said it but I don’t think she believes it because she must have an ounce of intelligence to get into her present job come to high risk Thailand and take your chances on the streets or beeches and just tell the jet ski owners where to get off if they demand more money and same as tuk tuk or taxi drivers just tell them to <deleted> of because you are completely safe here no worries.

She may have said it but I don’t think she believes it because she must have an ounce of intelligence to get into her present job come to high risk Thailand and take your chances on the streets or beeches and just tell the jet ski owners where to get off if they demand more money and same as tuk tuk or taxi drivers just tell them to <deleted> of because you are completely safe here no worries.

Or you could report them to the police and double your money.

Only way is to avoid all opportunities to be scammed and make sure that whenever dealing with any one when purchasing outside of a mall, that they know you are expat, signs are easy to give and easily recognised by would be price raisers.

Just avoid tourist areas, simple. True worldwide.

Apart from there being 16x more chance of death for a foreigner in Thailand than in a western country.

And the reported murder rate (population in general) in Thailand being 10x higher than most western countries.

About time TAT considered a new and more honest slogan ........ "See Thailand and die!"

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

The Con Artist said "Trust Me".... Would you?

Sort of on topic.

One of my air conditioning units needs repairing, top end Mitsubishi, ten years old, regularly serviced by the same local company. I was out when the maintenance crew came and they told my wife (Thai) that it was old, needed replacing and said they could offer a good deal.

When I was told this, I asked my wife to call them and tell them we no longer will use their services. I had not been given a quote for the cost of repairs versus a new appliance and should I choose to purchase a new appliance I would require quotes from several local companies. Now several locals service shops have been offered the chance to make some legitimate money , by repairing a not too ancient Mitsubishi unit, with spare parts readily available.

Yes beware of simple con artists!

Edited by buhi

Apart from there being 16x more chance of death for a foreigner in Thailand than in a western country.

And the reported murder rate (population in general) in Thailand being 10x higher than most western countries.

About time TAT considered a new and more honest slogan ........ "See Thailand and die!"

And don't forget about Thailand having the third highest gun

homicide rate in the world, only being nipped from the top

spot by South Africa and Columbia.... Not sure about tourist

gun homicide rates, I suspect those numbers are not

published. :-)

• Like 1