Hang Dong Amphur

stament

I only just realised that Hang Dong is an Amphur not a specific place.

Can anybody tell me what is in Hang Dong - is there a good market(s) or places to eat? I'm used to the Old Town in CM so am spoilt....perhaps.....

Also what areas in Hang Dong are good and which ones should? Are some moobans better than others or closer to town/public transport, etc?

What is good about living in Hang Dong? What is frustrating?

All views welcome. I'm planning on moving there so would be good to get some info/tips before coming there and looking for myself......

Hang Dong is a district south of Chiang Mai city. Nothing special in regards of the town. But The handicraft village of Ban Tawai is a well known tourist attraction. Also Hang Dong is close to the hills national parks in the west and south. The biggest mooban is Roon Arung, where quite a few westerners live. Rentals are cheaper than in town.

Hang Dong starts just south of CNX runway, at the BigC intersection, and extends south from there. IMHO some of the best moobans are in that northern part [Mae Hia and San Pak Wan], due to close proximity to the city and major shops.

One may find better value closer to Hang Dong town centre and the refurbished Kad Farang Centre will provide better shopping ... Wine Connections is already doing well. There's another BigC just south of HD town. and Baan Tawai is close by.

• Like 1

Big undercover market in middle of Hang Dong.

Absolutely HUGE Saturday morning (8am-12.00) market just beyond San Patong, 6Km past Hang Dong town.

Drive through Hang Dong, through San Patong, then stop when you see the crowds and police in the road (Called the Buffalo market).

Big C Extra, 2Km after Hang Dong town used to be Carrefour.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Hang Dong starts just south of CNX runway, at the BigC intersection, and extends south from there. IMHO some of the best moobans are in that northern part [Mae Hia and San Pak Wan], due to close proximity to the city and major shops.

One may find better value closer to Hang Dong town centre and the refurbished Kad Farang Centre will provide better shopping ... Wine Connections is already doing well. There's another BigC just south of HD town. and Baan Tawai is close by.

And a new a sports bar and new McD .

And a new a sports bar and new McD .

I don't think either of those rated a mention facepalm.gifcoffee1.gif

Both options sound good. Are there many thai style restaurants in Hang Dong town centre? Could you recommend any moobans in the areas you suggested (Mae Hia and San Pak , ideally Wan) as well as any near Kad Farang and the town centre please? We'd be looking for a 3+ bedroom house with a garden and garage/off street parking.

Both options sound good. Are there many thai style restaurants in Hang Dong town centre? Could you recommend any moobans in the areas you suggested (Mae Hia and San Pak , ideally Wan) as well as any near Kad Farang and the town centre please? We'd be looking for a 3+ bedroom house with a garden and garage/off street parking.

Kad Farang is not in Hang Dong, but about 3Km before it.

Many of the posters here consider, the end of the airport runway as Hang Dong, it isn't, HD is another 5Km up the road.

When the road narrows to 1 lane each way, you are in HD.

• Like 1

Hang Dong starts just south of CNX runway, at the BigC intersection, and extends south from there.

Many of the posters here consider, the end of the airport runway as Hang Dong, it isn't, HD is another 5Km up the road.

Actually, Hang Dong district [amphur] begins as I stated, on southern side of ring road. San Pak Wan is our "tambon".

@ OP: Recommended moobans ... that's a difficult one, so many you really have to drive around them and see what houses are available and how they suit your lifestyle and requirements.

There's a big newish one about 500m west of Hang Dong Hospital which is nice but another 8km's out from our choice which is older and heavily treed. I have walked from Ban Wang Tan to Makro/BigC although a m/bike is preferable.

Rental houses go for ~ 12k to 15 + for basic small lot houses, ~20k upwards for something on larger lot or with pool. Plenty of choice at present.

There are so many moobans you'd spend a day just looking around off the Chiang Mai Hang Dong road.

Some useful and interesting responses on here so thanks everyone for that. Based on those responses I've done some more research and we've narrowed it down where we'd like to rent to Ban Waen and Nong Khwai.

Ideally on the left hand side of the 108 as you drive towards Hang Dong from CM. Based on that can anyone suggest any good moobans for a 3 bed house with reasonable garden? Community pool etc and gym would also be an added bonus ;-)

Hang Dong means tail of the dragon. The Dragon being downtown. When it rains it rains least or last in Hang Dong, because of the tail. Or so I was told.

According to the Thai people that live here Hang Dong means 'Edge of the Forest', another translation can be 'Tail of the Forest' but they don't use that one normally. The Village of Ban Dong, which sits behind Hang Dong means 'Middle of the Forest '.

Lived in Koolpuntville 9 for 2 years - on left just before Kad Farang. Very quiet secure mooban with large swimming pool & club house, great place for those that like to jog or walk (no traffic) Also 9 hole golf course inside of mooban. Course might be closed now as expanding to 18 holes. Nice restaurant in golf course club house area.

Where is Kad Farang exactly as I've tried google maps and it doesn't seem to know. I'm sure someone on here can give a link to it on goggle maps ;-) Is the Kad Farang Boutique village finished or still a work-in-progress?

Hang Dong means tail of the dragon. The Dragon being downtown. When it rains it rains least or last in Hang Dong, because of the tail. Or so I was told.

According to the Thai people that live here Hang Dong means 'Edge of the Forest', another translation can be 'Tail of the Forest' but they don't use that one normally. The Village of Ban Dong, which sits behind Hang Dong means 'Middle of the Forest '.

According to my "Hang Dong" neighbours its tail of the dragon, lol.

Probably means "village where silly foreigners argue on online forums". Who knows.

Edited by DaamNaam
  • Like 1