Disturbing numbers of Tourist deaths.

Raaraab

Why Aussies are getting in trouble overseas[/font]

4 DAYS AGO NOVEMBER 03, 2014 7:42AM486948-063492ce-60a5-11e4-bdd3-73a977145The message for all Australians is to get travel insurance. Picture: The Embassy/Nine. Source: SuppliedITS hard to believe
I feel lucky to have been born of a generation that did not believe in the self-mutilation of the body.

If that feller were to ride a motorcycle those ears would start flopping so bad in the wind they would beat him to death.

The ear lobe thing is.......... I don't know; but really?? Live and let live and all that but seriously what's the point? How many of these guys when they hit their 40's 50's will be looking for corrective surgery and thinking to themselves "what the hell was I thinking"

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Brit in Thailand is 16x more likely to die, than a Brit in a western country.

Similar stats. for Australians.

Thailand has a huge risk of death for foreigners, when compared to western countries.

Third world countries where there is effectively no law enforcement, are generally dangerous places to be, Thailand is no exception.

AOA,

You have summed it right up!

Used to see the same thing in Latin America all the time.

• Like 1

Thailand has a huge risk of death for foreigners, when compared to western countries.

thats why many people dont visit countries like thailand, vietnam and phillipines. and many of the ones that do behave in ways that they would never be allowed to do in western countries with expected results

Many,many people visit Thailand and behave in a civilised manner. That still doesn't stop some of them getting killed, poisoned, robbed, cheated, scammed etc. The original article should be made compulsory reading for the Minister of Tourism, not that I suppose she'd take any notice of it.

• Like 2

thats why many people dont visit countries like thailand, vietnam and phillipines. and many of the ones that do behave in ways that they would never be allowed to do in western countries with expected results

Many,many people visit Thailand and behave in a civilised manner. That still doesn't stop some of them getting killed, poisoned, robbed, cheated, scammed etc. The original article should be made compulsory reading for the Minister of Tourism, not that I suppose she'd take any notice of it.

do you have any statistics comparing theses crimes to similar crimes in other tourism destinations in the area??

do you have any statistics comparing theses crimes to similar crimes in other tourism destinations in the area??

It's a dangerous area, one safe country (Singapore), everywhere else are basket cases, no need to compare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Asia

Bali must attract similar numbers of aussies, a comparison there would be interesting

It's a dangerous area, one safe country (Singapore), everywhere else are basket cases, no need to compare.

there is if someone singles thailand out.

Nobody in their right mind visits any of these countries if they value their life.

Loads of us older guys don't really care, we have few ongoing responsibilities, but for younger tourists, no way I would go anywhere near them.

• Like 1

there is if someone singles thailand out.

Nobody in their right mind visits any of these countries if they value their life.

Loads of us older guys don't really care, we have few ongoing responsibilities, but for younger tourists, no way I would go anywhere near them.

i would

Its about time Thailand got off its sick excuse ridden sorry lazy arse and cleaned its country up, the corruption is a huge part of the problem and i really dont see ANY change at all, its just new pigs at the trough doing a bit more face saving.

Thai bashing...............NO THE PAINFUL TRUTH

so in 2012,

Thailand:150 deaths out of 948,000 visits equals 1 death for every 6320 visits

Philipines: 68 deaths out of 191,150 visits equals 1 death for every 2811 visits

Vietnam: 54 deaths out of 290,000 visits equals 1 death for every 5370 visits

http://en.wikipedia....the_Philippines

http://en.wikipedia....rism_in_Vietnam

Vietnam Phillipines AINT Thailand your'e worse than my Wife who when I tell her Thai driving is terrible always resorts to "NO, is worse in India"

Its about time Thailand got off its sick excuse ridden sorry lazy arse and cleaned its country up, the corruption is a huge part of the problem and i really dont see ANY change at all, its just new pigs at the trough doing a bit more face saving.

so in 2012,

Philipines: 68 deaths out of 191,150 visits equals 1 death for every 2811 visits

Vietnam Phillipines AINT Thailand your'e worse than my Wife who when I tell her Thai driving is terrible always resorts to "NO, is worse in India"

just pointing out that anyone singling out thailand is being disengenuous. but thats normal for thai bashers

• Like 1

so in 2012,

just pointing out that anyone singling out thailand is being disengenuous. but thats normal for thai bashers

Are you calling me a basher?.............go right ahead

I don't quite see all the danger here, but my friends back in the US apparently do. Here is an email I received this morning.

"Have you considered doing something safer in retirement like selling bibles to Isis members in northern Iraq?"

• Like 1

I agree that Thailand is the ultimate chance for young Aussie's (or Europeans) to do things they could never do in their homecountry's.

Driving drunk on motorbikes without helmet, openly bringing hookers home, using drugs on beachparty's, buying tranquilizers and whatever medicines they like who are prohibited back home (without doctorsprescription). They can buy themselves out of it when caught by police.

I can't blame all these kids though, they will grab any chance to do stuff they can't do at home. Before thailand they all went to Goa India to party.

In Thailand i have never seen several bouncers in bars, In Australia the popular bars have them, why would that be? whistling.gif

Also when i look at the age of many backpackers then i wonder how they got the money for a trip to Thailand. Many of them better go to Spain first for some years.

The person who comes to such an uncontrolled environment needs to have their own "code of conduct". Most appear not to have the common sense of a grasshopper. If you look at the population of foreign tourists here, probably the same percentage who get into trouble here would equally get into trouble in any other uncontrolled holiday environment. The only reason they aren't on the slab in their own country is because the rules there are enforced.

There's two options -- beef up enforcement on tourists and risk becoming a kill-joy, or accept the bad press, but maybe get better at solving the crimes so that the victims can be seen to often have been the victims of their own stupidity. angry.gif

• Like 1

the article is a dangerous piece of misinformation.

firstly, the numbers of deaths should be detailed into illness, accidental, old age, murder

secondly, these numbers should then be divided by the overall numbers of travellers from that nation (AU) to the country

thirdly, the numbers should be compared with other nationalities traveling to Thailand, and also compared with similar statistics of deaths in other countries

the article is a dangerous piece of misinformation.

firstly, the numbers of deaths should be detailed into illness, accidental, old age, murder

secondly, these numbers should then be divided by the overall numbers of travellers from that nation (AU) to the country

thirdly, the numbers should be compared with other nationalities traveling to Thailand, and also compared with similar statistics of deaths in other countries

But that would require, like, research. And the results my not be quite what we need to draw the readers in.

"Thailand about typical when it comes to the dangers of doing stupid things you can't get away with at home", just doesn't have the same pizzazz.

Gotta get on to the next 250 word blurb... Mama needs new shoes, you know.

Edited by impulse

The overwhelming majority of foreigners that die in violent and/or mysterious circumstances here were either under the influence, had a pre-existing condition, partook of something in excess of what is considered acceptable (or legal), or spent the preponderance of their social life in high-risk areas. These areas and their risks are startlingly similar to the high-risk areas in more developed countries that possibly regulate these areas of risk and probably have better legal protections than Thailand has.

If a foreign kid rents a superbike that he is legally prohibited to do in his home country, drinks twice as much alcohol as he is legally entitled to do in his home country, rents a hooker that he is legally prohibited to do in his home country and subsequently plants him, her and the motorbike ar5e-deep in a baht bus, who are we to condemn the Thai's for allowing his misfortune? You make the same stupid choices at home, the outcome is the same. There are no protections for the stupid.

"There are no protections for the stupid."

That sums it up... all over the world.

• Like 1

I agree that Thailand is the ultimate chance for young Aussie's (or Europeans) to do things they could never do in their homecountry's.

Driving drunk on motorbikes without helmet, openly bringing hookers home, using drugs on beachparty's, buying tranquilizers and whatever medicines they like who are prohibited back home (without doctorsprescription). They can buy themselves out of it when caught by police.

I don't believe any of the three killed in the last year on Koh Tao were doing any of these things.

Nor were any of the people who died in the DeathTown Inn in Chiang Mai.

Nor the couple shot by the policeman in Pai.

Should I go on?

Unless you can't walk on the beach, walk through a town center or sleep in your hotel bed in Australia.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Hard to do when the Thai police/authorities habitually lie about foreigners cause of death.

What you can do is consider the deaths of ALL foreigners in Thailand, in which the numbers become frightening.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I'm Australian. I have been coming to Thailand regularly since 1986 (Since I was twenty-something). I sky-dive ,drink, scuba dive, ride motorbikes..(obviously not at the same time)

Where are these kids going wrong?