Thailand: Push for more European tourists

webfact

What? After giving the developed world the two fingers and chasing Chinese and Russians, they want to now get their quality tourists back?

Amazing Thailand.....

Judging from the article,they seem to rate them not much different than Cambodian tourists ... this is just one small part of tourism efforts. Beyond Russia, the top ten tourist arrivals by country this year probably won't include a European nation. Despite record breaking tourist numbers and revenue last year, the UK was 10th last year with less visitors than Australia and about 1/5th of that of China. Of the 26 Million visitors last year less than 3 Million were from Europe (excluding Russia)and remember how so many here love to say these numbers are not accurate because of border runs. Point being is I am sure they would love to see a higher increase than they saw last year with European tourists but it is just a piece of the pie. They were right to focus on China as they were able to capitalize on economic timing and increase Chinese visitors about 3 fold in as many years. While UK visitors over the last 10 years has been fairly steady with just a slight increase in this period. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Top_20_arrivals_by_nationality

Goodness that was a boring post,,, thank you for your "internet assembled" summary, I have no idea what your point is. So, the way I see it is pretty clear, if EU tourists stay nearly twice as long as other tourists then a significant amount of revenue is generated.

The problem I see is simpl the things we have all been reading,,, death of 2 Brits on Kao Thao Island, political unrest, scams, corruption, dodgy Police and overall terrible publicity for Thailand. This is going to have a big impact on travellers coming into the country for sure.

I have been stopped by the Police 3 times on bangkok over the past 10 days, each time a nonsense reason for the ticket being issued. Each time I was asked if I wanted to "go to the police station?" Bas--cially giving me the opportunity to cross the palms of the bib with a few hundred baht. Personally I would not recommend Thailand to anyone for a holiday break this year at least.

• Like 2

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been stopped by the Police 3 times on bangkok over the past 10 days, each time a nonsense reason for the ticket being issued. Each time I was asked if I wanted to "go to the police station?" Bas--cially giving me the opportunity to cross the palms of the bib with a few hundred baht.

I simply don't believe that you were stopped by the police three times. It was almost certainly tessakit (city inspectors). The uniforms are similar, but their powers aren't. They can't arrest you and it's safe to ignore them. (They don't have guns.)

What? After giving the developed world the two fingers and chasing Chinese and Russians, they want to now get their quality tourists back?

Amazing Thailand.....

"...they want to now get their quality tourists back?"

No they want Europeans. Preferably not the ones that the police have to capture for extradition or who fiddle with children or who beg on the streets (and then spend their donations in Pattaya bars).

"Quality" is not synonymous with race or nationality.

cardsfan-593x356.jpg

You've misread this one. He's a quality tourist. Can you see the position of his head? If he vomits it SHOULD clear his face and stop him from choking to death meaning less paperwork and guessing for the RTP. Now, that's quality!

---EDIT---

...and you will notice that he is up off the pavement leaving more space for vendors. Another quality tick!

Edited by draftvader

Thailand needs more European tourists - they actually spend money.

That said, of course, it helps to try to work with the highest socio/economic groups.

Turquoise Holidays most certainly don't seem to aim in that direction. They're prices and packages are amazing. If you make Thailand as cheap as the Costa Brava, of course people will come, but whether that constitutes high-quality, high-yield tourism , is a whole other matter.

I do, though, massively congratulate Turquoise Holidays in, clearly, having talked sense into some Thai hoteliers over room rates.

Edited by Runamile

Tell us another one.

I like the way this James Bell geezer thinks that tourist decline is only due to the coup.

He couldn't be more wrong. There are many contributing factors.

Murder, corruption, bad security for tourists (no interest), crimes against tourists being released ever more regularly. Appalling human trafficking record now world news.

There are lots of things that contribute to people shying away from here. There are thousands of places to choose from to travel to. They just need to be made aware of these places through the travel agents authorities worldwide. That is what put Thailand where it was.

They didn't help themselves when two reps from the Australian Association of Travel Agents were attacked and one murdered a couple of years ago.... These are the things you can not reverse. Once you lose support from these organizations, it is game over.

And how many thousands of tourist come to Thailand and have a great time and go back home to tell their friends about how wonderful Thailand is. Some posters here just cannot get over the negative bent of their minds.

Spot on!!thumbsup.gif

My sister, my nephew and niece have just visited me. They had the time of their life, and used FB to share their very positive impression of Thailand. As you can imagine, they were not here for the sex or the cheap booze, but simply to have a good time!! Which they had!!

And yes, they had heard of Koh Tao.

i think i have seen enough Euros here to know what i am talking about. even my Euro friends agree Thailand attracts the bottom of the barrel with the Euros

The euros don,t come here for culture. They come here for two reasons. Can you guess what ? And yes Vietnam is far better for culture. Thailand has the idea cover every square inch with Euros , girly bars, foreign restaurants and resorts. Zero charm and no American or Canadian with any brain cells left, that is not already married to a Thai would think of staying or visiting here. i did not move to Thailand twenty years ago to be around millions of very questionable Euros granted not all are bad but i think the majority of Thais have had enough of the Euros, Russians and the middle east types.

As a European, please allow me on behalf of my fellow Europeans to thank you, for confirming, what we already knew about the American level of "knowledge".

What a load of BS!!bah.gif

i am also europeen and i agree with that comment from joc.

white americans should remenber that they where invaders first, and slavers too, and that their roots are most of them from europe, (poor guys, men out of jail, sent to america to colonize indians...you are immigrants...nothing else )

i worked in america, so i met many americans and it was incredible to see, talking to them that they have mainly no idea of nothing outside of america ....and this jungle jim whatever looks exactly the same, a man with no idea about what he is talking about....poor man !bah.gif

• Like 1

I have been here 8 months. I had 12 people coming to visit me from the UK on the anniversary of my arrival for a big birthday bash/holiday. None of them are now coming. Why? Well let's try Koh Tao for a start. If Thailand really wants to become the paradise they tell everyone and that in the main it is then they know what they must do. And they can start on the islands. Let's get those that are 'supposed' to set the law doing just that and get rid of those that 'think' they can. I think those that govern here think no one knows. Everyone now knows. Clean it up and they might return. Has anyone got the courage to do that? This is a great country with mainly lovely people, but.......

None of them are now coming. Why?

Maybe they don't like you and were just being polite accepting the invitation.

• Like 1

As prices keep rising, and countries like neighboring Cambodia and Myanmar open their doors, more quantity tourists will be flocking to these new "paradise" destinations.

Not just yet, I think. My guess is that the majority of tourists is attracted for one of two reasons: shopping and beaches. Neither Cambodia nor Myanmar excels in either area. I suspect that Vietnam represents the greatest threat to the Thai tourist industry.

• Like 1

Of course Thailand wants to push for more tourists from Europe.

In general, Europeans (and US and Australian) tourists on holiday in Thailand spend around € 100 in the local economy

Per day.

And stay for an average of 12 days.

Russian tourists stay around 9 days, spend around € 50 a day, but NOT in the local economy.

Most of it goes through Russian "firms".

Chinese tourists spend around 6 days in Thailand, and spend around € 10 a day in the local economy.

The rest goes to Chinese state owned companies.

Of course the European, US and Australian tourists, Thailand found out, are better for Thailand.

Even if part of the locals don't like the gwailoos.

Not so long ago a provincial Governor asked the farang audience to promote Thailand in general and the Isan in particular in their own country.

He welcomed more farang expats, because they brought all kinds of good things and wealth to the region.

Now a well known University has found out that the western expat community in the Isan brought so much wealth, work and prosperity into the region, that he reckons a cool 740,000 jobs are related to this prosperity.

I guess somewhere some insight in the reality is emerging.

Just imagine, 500,000 expats living in Thailand, bringing and spending an average of 50.000 baht a month in the country.

That is 300,000,000,000 baht a year.

And there are probably more expats.

My sister, my nephew and niece have just visited me. They had the time of their life, and used FB to share their very positive impression of Thailand. As you can imagine, they were not here for the sex or the cheap booze, but simply to have a good time!! Which they had!!

And yes, they had heard of Koh Tao.

Umm, bad news. Check the snappies on their other FB accounts... The ones they don't share with their folks- just their friends.

Typical foreigner in Thailand. And the government wants more. Ever connect the dots and maybe understand why the Thais hate us?

Amazing Thailand.....

"...they want to now get their quality tourists back?"

No they want Europeans. Preferably not the ones that the police have to capture for extradition or who fiddle with children or who beg on the streets (and then spend their donations in Pattaya bars).

"Quality" is not synonymous with race or nationality.

cardsfan-593x356.jpg

You've misread this one. He's a quality tourist. Can you see the position of his head? If he vomits it SHOULD clear his face and stop him from choking to death meaning less paperwork and guessing for the RTP. Now, that's quality!

---EDIT---

...and you will notice that he is up off the pavement leaving more space for vendors. Another quality tick!

• Like 1

The euros don,t come here for culture. They come here for two reasons. Can you guess what ? And yes Vietnam is far better for culture. Thailand has the idea cover every square inch with Euros , girly bars, foreign restaurants and resorts. Zero charm and no American or Canadian with any brain cells left, that is not already married to a Thai would think of staying or visiting here. i did not move to Thailand twenty years ago to be around millions of very questionable Euros granted not all are bad but i think the majority of Thais have had enough of the Euros, Russians and the middle east types.

As a European, please allow me on behalf of my fellow Europeans to thank you, for confirming, what we already knew about the American level of "knowledge".

What a load of BS!!bah.gif

i am also europeen and i agree with that comment from joc.

white americans should remenber that they where invaders first, and slavers too, and that their roots are most of them from europe, (poor guys, men out of jail, sent to america to colonize indians...you are immigrants...nothing else )

i worked in america, so i met many americans and it was incredible to see, talking to them that they have mainly no idea of nothing outside of america ....and this jungle jim whatever looks exactly the same, a man with no idea about what he is talking about....poor man !bah.gif

Vincent, as difficult as it might be for you to believe, those "many Americans" you met were not interested in you and where you came from because you and your country were probably just not important enough for them to notice.

i never pretended to be the center of the world like USA use to do, so i was not talking about myself or my country normaly, i was talking about general knowledges..like art, geography, history, writers etc, ETC..!

ahh...funny that in america all best restaurant are europeen like french,italien,spanish or asiatic (my country is one of them and the first visited in the world) ... you get it?

even in gastronomy you are poor in america, so please dont make it worse.coffee1.gif

What can one say?

More European tourists ????? you could have fooled me with all the hoops you have to jump through to get a Visa in the first place. In Pattaya Immigration they have for some time got a checker watching the checker and still money passes over the counter. Corruption going down ????? I don't think so

Tell us another one.

I like the way this James Bell geezer thinks that tourist decline is only due to the coup.

He couldn't be more wrong. There are many contributing factors.

Murder, corruption, bad security for tourists (no interest), crimes against tourists being released ever more regularly. Appalling human trafficking record now world news.

There are lots of things that contribute to people shying away from here. There are thousands of places to choose from to travel to. They just need to be made aware of these places through the travel agents authorities worldwide. That is what put Thailand where it was.

They didn't help themselves when two reps from the Australian Association of Travel Agents were attacked and one murdered a couple of years ago.... These are the things you can not reverse. Once you lose support from these organizations, it is game over.

In my opinion he's spot on. The other things you mentioned have always happened here but it hasn't put off European tourists in the past. Martial law however is a different kettle of fish, people aren't put off by soldiers with big guns but by the fact that they can't get travel insurance. If it was me, the risk of maybe having to pay out huge hospital bills would tend to make me choose another distination, after all, there are plenty to choose from with democratic government.

• Like 1

Hope they are successful, with so many ordinary Thais dependant on the tourist-industry for their livelihood!!wai2.gif

No they deserve utter failure until they clear Koh Tao murders and get honest police

So you think that Somchai, Chang, Lek, Mok and Pom and small business-operators should pay the price for the failure of Thai politicians??

Doesn't make sense to me!!coffee1.gif

The way to get better politicians is to let their voters feel what crap they caused so they will get a desire to get rid of those politicians

• Like 1

Thailand would attract more tourists if they gave everyone the same lax visa requirements and perks they give the Russians and Chinese...

"Discovering Thainess"...is not necessarily going to have foreigners flooding into the country...in fact...it might cause them to go elsewhere...

Quick question, because I have read conflicting information from various sources...

If a European applies for travel insurance for Thailand, will it be approved, or denied because of martial law?

Approved, certainly no problem purchasing travel insurance for Thailand from the UK

DailyExpenditure.gif

Europeans spend the least per day but they stay longer than other countries ... an average of 16 1/2 Days compared to about 7 Days by Asians and a total average of 10 Days for all countries. So yes, overall they leave the most money here.

I,m sorry but I just don,t believe these figures ! Having been in business here for well over 30 years, to be told that indians and <deleted> spend a lot more per day than british tourists is absolute nonsense !

Yes that was my initial thought too. Then again you forget about all those backpacker types. It's cringeworthy when hearing them brag how they can get something to eat for less than 30 baht and not be 'ripped off'.

Edited by Gotalaugh

Amazing Thailand.....

Judging from the article,they seem to rate them not much different than Cambodian tourists ... this is just one small part of tourism efforts. Beyond Russia, the top ten tourist arrivals by country this year probably won't include a European nation. Despite record breaking tourist numbers and revenue last year, the UK was 10th last year with less visitors than Australia and about 1/5th of that of China. Of the 26 Million visitors last year less than 3 Million were from Europe (excluding Russia)and remember how so many here love to say these numbers are not accurate because of border runs. Point being is I am sure they would love to see a higher increase than they saw last year with European tourists but it is just a piece of the pie. They were right to focus on China as they were able to capitalize on economic timing and increase Chinese visitors about 3 fold in as many years. While UK visitors over the last 10 years has been fairly steady with just a slight increase in this period. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Top_20_arrivals_by_nationality

Goodness that was a boring post,,, thank you for your "internet assembled" summary, I have no idea what your point is. So, the way I see it is pretty clear, if EU tourists stay nearly twice as long as other tourists then a significant amount of revenue is generated.

The problem I see is simpl the things we have all been reading,,, death of 2 Brits on Kao Thao Island, political unrest, scams, corruption, dodgy Police and overall terrible publicity for Thailand. This is going to have a big impact on travellers coming into the country for sure.

I have been stopped by the Police 3 times on bangkok over the past 10 days, each time a nonsense reason for the ticket being issued. Each time I was asked if I wanted to "go to the police station?" Bas--cially giving me the opportunity to cross the palms of the bib with a few hundred baht. Personally I would not recommend Thailand to anyone for a holiday break this year at least.

The deaths on Koh Toa are not going to have any measurable effect on tourism to Thailand. Only somebody completely ignorant would avoid a country because of a single criminal incident and would need to be even more ignorant to not know Thailand is a less developed country that has had political unrest, scams and corruptions going on longer then they have been alive. International Tourism has boomed in Thailand and nearly tripled in the last 10 years and total tourism went from accounting for about 6% of GDP to nearly 10%.

Things that can significantly impact Thailand tourism are natural disasters, epidemics and extreme political unrest. Even during the flooding a few years back, Tourist revenue increased from the previous year. And even during the 2010 riots as well as the 2011 Flooding Thailand saw big increases in international tourist arrivals.

Tourist don't generally come to Thailand because it is modern and safe, them come at least in part for adventure. If safety, control, cleanliness and 1st world nation is what they are looking for then they would go to Singapore.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

Tourist don't generally come to Thailand because it is modern and safe, them come at least in part for adventure. If safety, control, cleanliness and 1st world nation is what they are looking for then they would go to Singapore.

I'd just stay home...

I have been stopped by the Police 3 times on bangkok over the past 10 days, each time a nonsense reason for the ticket being issued. Each time I was asked if I wanted to "go to the police station?" Bas--cially giving me the opportunity to cross the palms of the bib with a few hundred baht.

I simply don't believe that you were stopped by the police three times. It was almost certainly tessakit (city inspectors). The uniforms are similar, but their powers aren't. They can't arrest you and it's safe to ignore them. (They don't have guns.)

I don't particularly care if you believe me or not,, the truth is the truth and my wallet knows it. Twice on Rama 4 road the other time on the road just before (can't remember the name). They were police not city inspectors and yes they wore guns.

The first time they could not explain to me clearly why they were giving me a ticket, it was only when I got to the station that someone explained it to me and it turned out to be a complete and utter lie, but what can you do argue with the Thai police? The other 2 times just seemed to be made up law on the spot, I just said to them give me the ticket so I can get moving and be quick,,, I will not pay on the roadside and participate in their corruption so they can line their own pockets. Make no mistake this is all about money, nothing to do with enforcing the law, you only have to watch the way the police ride their own motorbikes to know this.

If you don't believe what I say is true thats up to you,, but if you believe the police are honest and straight and only pull you over for legitimate reasons then you are delusional.