Butterball Turkeys

Gonzo the Face

Is there a shortage of Butterball Turkeys this year.

I have seen some in Makro, but they are just the size of large chickens. 7 kilo tops..... I need something a little larger.

Never used to be a problem in years gone by.

Also there seems to be some new policy. .... the weight and/or price is not on the tag on the turkey. You have to go to the counter and have the meatman weigh it for you

If anyone has seen Butterball Turkeys , at about the 8 - + kilo range, please let me know where and price per kilo.....Thanks G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I've noticed that Central Food Hall at Central Festival has a few huge looking turkeys, but didn't look at the weight. I noticed a few large turkeys also at Makro Mae Rim but again didn't look at the weight. Ask the clerk to go in the back and look for larger turkeys and see what he finds.

I've noticed that Central Food Hall at Central Festival has a few huge looking turkeys, but didn't look at the weight. I noticed a few large turkeys also at Makro Mae Rim but again didn't look at the weight. Ask the clerk to go in the back and look for larger turkeys and see what he finds.

Rimping meechok, yesterday . BB 199 /kilo. Norbest 195/kilo. Several in the 20 lbs range . Gonzo, what Makro did you see,the babies at? What price?

Rimping meechok, yesterday . BB 199 /kilo. Norbest 195/kilo. Several in the 20 lbs range . Gonzo, what Makro did you see,the babies at? What price?

The babies were first found at Orig. Makro on the Super.....all under 7Kg... that was about 3 - 4 days ago...... then his morning after making this thread, I went Makro in Mae Rim and Makro Hang Dong.... both cases none close to 7 kg and according to staff none larger available all were priced at 170 p/k.... Norbest about 5 baht cheaper.

Thanks for your input

G

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Saw both brands at Rimping promenada.....same prices as already mentioned.

We bought ours at Rimping Prom about three days ago. 7.5 kg, for pick up all cooked, plus stuffing plus gravy evening 24th Dec.

The lady there who speaks good English mentioned the supplier was quite late this year getting them into Thailand.

If they only have small ones buy 2,problem solved.

regards Worgeordie

It a time of thanksgiving, so I must say that your above answer makes me pause and give thanks that you are not in a position of making critical countrywide decisions.

Would 2 on a big plate not look better than one small one?,this been Thailand sometimes we have

to make compromises,if you cannot find the huge one you are looking for what will you do?have none.

regards Worgeordie

Hey Gonzo, I went to Rimping Promenada today and saw some Butterball Turkeys in the 7 to 8 kg range. Not sure on the price now as I think I saw 239 baht per kilo.

Still, its a start if youre still looking for bigger birds.... and I mean turkeys!

Wow, 239 baht per kilo for Butterballs at Rim Ping Prom? I went to Rim Ping Nim City on Thursday and was surprised to find just two Butterballs remaining in their freezer -- little 5 kgs bird. Snapped 'em both up at 290 baht/kg with Rim Ping doing the cooking. Those of us without cars can't be paying our tuk-tuk driver to run all over town looking for the best deal and Rim Ping Nim City has always done a great job cooking AND delivering to our condo exactly when I'm ready to put the feast on the table.

They had a whole flock of Norbest birds, big beasts, but we all know they're not Butterballs. The manager said she wasn't certain if they were going to get more Butterballs before Thanksgiving.

I considered myself lucky after listening to Friday evening's NBC evening news on-line. Seems there are labor problems at the ports all up-and-down the west coast of the U.S. and ships from Asia are stacking up, unable to unload containers of goods for holiday shoppers. On the flip side, goods bound for Asia aren't getting out. They interviewed a Christmas tree farmer from Oregon who will be out $50,000 this year because his fresh-cut trees won't make it to Asia. Drat -- I always loved seeing the cut Christmas tress from the U.S. on sale at Rim Ping. Never bought one. Seems even more frivolous than insisting on Butterball turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas. But, it was a nice touch of home at the Rim Ping.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Geese, esp, are large birds and roast well. Ducks good too, more greasy. I would guess that once the long neck is chopped off, few Thanksgiving diners would know what they are eating if the roasted bird approximates 'home cooking'. And following a good half bottle of Zinfandel. licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

My first time using the smileys here and learned that each smiley available has a name. That is really instructive and i thank TV for that education.

So Gonzo, if you are cooking the dinner on Thanksgiving, what time shall i bring the wine?

Wouldnt you like to be the only one offering "fresh free range turkey" for T.g and xmas next year.

You have the land so why not get thr young broilers in next august and raise a dozen or two yourself.

Great marketting strategy for yourself and who knows which big boy hotel chain customer may be coming your way.

Phew managed that without a mentioning a gobble.

Having spend a number of years buying lots of turkeys in Chiang Mai, Gonzo, i can honestly say I don't recall seeing any turkeys in Makro at more than 7Kg. and as a businessman you can only look at Makro -Rimpings prices are way higher. I always bought the largest available which were generally 6-7Kg.

• Like 1

Hey Gonzo, I went to Rimping Promenada today and saw some Butterball Turkeys in the 7 to 8 kg range. Not sure on the price now as I think I saw 239 baht per kilo.

Still, its a start if youre still looking for bigger birds.... and I mean turkeys!

I saw them at 9 kilo sizes in Rimping on the river. I believe the price you stated was the same. The 170 baht ones are probably not Butterball. As for a Turkey in a restaurant it makes a lot of sense to get the big ones. The over all choice of meat is going to be the white meat.

I saw a big one - must have been at least 8 lbs, at the Rimping in the JJ Market, today at around 3 pm. I was really surprised, as they didn't have anything I wanted. Not one loaf of bread! Can you imagine? This is a market that supposedly caters to farangs, but no bread, no rolls, very poorly stocked in the cold-cut dept. - bacon, etc. I usually shop at the Meechock Rimping but just dropped-in to this one on a whim. Last time I'll bother.

But grab that Butterball, Gonzo!

If they only have small ones buy 2,problem solved.

regards Worgeordie

It a time of thanksgiving, so I must say that your above answer makes me pause and give thanks that you are not in a position of making critical countrywide decisions.

He said "If". Why be so snide?

• Like 1

I PM'd Gonzo about these two Butterballs in need of adoption a couple days ago, but he said he'd made other arrangements. I checked today and they're still homeless. Now it's the day before Thanksgiving and two big Butterballs will probably still be in the freezer at Tops Kad Suan Kaew for the holiday. They had been marked at the astonishing price of 320 baht/kilo but today the price was slashed to 170 baht/kilo. Now we're talking Turkey! One is a little over 8.8 kilos and the other is over 8.4 kilos. A great buy for someone who has freezer space to hold 'em until Christmas.

They also have their little Butterballs at the same price of 170 baht/kilo too.

Edited by NancyL