10 new bridges to span Chao Phraya

webfact

10 new bridges to span Chao Phraya
By Coconuts Bangkok

bridge.jpg
ABOVE: The 4.3-kilometer Tha Nam Non Bridge crosses the Chao Phraya River north of city center in Nonthaburi province. It cost about THB4 billion and is nearly completed.

BANGKOK: -- During the next two decades 10 more bridges will be erected to span the mighty Chao Phraya.

Expected to cost about THB50 billion, most of the new spans to cross the river in Bangkok, Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi provinces will begin construction in 2017 for completion by 2021, according to Deputy Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith.

In addition to the nearly completed Tha Nam Non Bridge in Nonthaburi, plans are being approved for the Kiakkai, Rama II, Ratchawong Thadindaeng, Lat Ya-Maha Pruektharam, Chan-Charoen Nakhon, Pathum Thani, Sam Khok, Samut Prakan, and Sanam Binnam bridges [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/11/07/10-new-bridges-span-chao-phraya

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-11-07

I keep seeing reports of the slowing Thai economy and these aren't planned to begin construction until 2017, so I won't hold my breath. Let's see when they break ground on these bridges.

And I have to agree with apetley...I wish the BMA would budget 50 billion baht to build more roads within Bangkok proper to help alleviate the horrid traffic conditions. Or maybe 50 billion baht on a program to teach Thais how to drive in such traffic at least (i.e. it isn't acceptable to merge and then cross 4 lanes immediately, there are actual rules of the road that give specific cars right of way, driving a particular model of car DOES NOT automatically give you right of way, creating your own lane to turn is unacceptable, using the far left lane as a parking zone is unacceptable, etc etc. I won't even begin to touch on motocy driving infractions as the list would take me the rest of the evening to write and I want to enjoy my evening.

Great! Lots of new spaces to park my cars when the next floods come. smile.png

Well then we can start writing articles this way > New bridge construction will commence over the feeble Choa Phraya River.

Lately there has been feeble flooding in Bangkok due to the feeble water torrents that have accrued ETC ETC

• Like 1

More traffic routes into an already near gridlocked city.

Hope BMA also have a Plan B.

Yeah, but since there will be more bridges available traffic will spread and therefore there will be less traffic jams during rush hour.

You've been here too long...starting to think like a Thai. There are still the same inadequate roads leading to the bridges, so traffic will simply bottleneck at the bridges. Of course Thais don't really care about the delay, or so my wife tells me. All mai bpen rai and just the way that it is.

The Chao Phraya Bridge was first conceived in 2001 and opened in November 2007 – about a six year timeframe from conception to completion. If that serves as any guide, for a new bridge to be opened by 2021 over the same river, design would have to begin in 2015. And that wouldn’t take into account any logistics problems associated with designing ten bridges simultaneously. The budget for design would also have to be approved by the NLA for the 2015 fiscal year (10-01-2014 to 9-31-2015).

But I don’t recall any mention of a design budget for ten bridges over the Mighty Chao Phraya River being included in the Junta’s 2015 budget proposal. So the planned completion date appears unrealistic.

The Prayuth government is relying on substantial government spending for FY 2015 to kick-start the economy at the sacrifice of not providing enough future government stimulus in FY 2016 to sustain that growth. Looking ahead to 2015 there is a moderate risk of little or no economic growth. So I think that makes 2016 even untenable for budgeting purposes.

As a side issue. other than governmental bragging rights for the completion of ten bridges by 2021 over the river, there seems to be a complete lack of traffic, environmental, and socio-economic planning that would justify all these bridges.

• Like 1

I have to say, the amount of cynicism on this thread is rather shocking and pathetic.

crane collapse, more cars in Bangkok, place to park my car during floods.... bla bla

Projects like this should be lauded as they do help alleviate traffic problems greatly and they create jobs. Thailand's logistics costs as a percentage of GDP are extremely high due its poor road and motorway network. Any efforts to address this huge problem are a step in the right direction.

And it won't lead to more cars coming into Bangkok. Those cars are already going into Bangkok and are stuck in traffic jams because there aren't enough bridges.

• Like 2

I have to say, the amount of cynicism on this thread is rather shocking and pathetic.

crane collapse, more cars in Bangkok, place to park my car during floods.... bla bla

Projects like this should be lauded as they do help alleviate traffic problems greatly and they create jobs. Thailand's logistics costs as a percentage of GDP are extremely high due its poor road and motorway network. Any efforts to address this huge problem are a step in the right direction.

And it won't lead to more cars coming into Bangkok. Those cars are already going into Bangkok and are stuck in traffic jams because there aren't enough bridges.

The cynicism comes from the reality of actually living in Thailand. This project is ambitious yes, but also untenable. There is no way in h*** that 10 bridges will be built in the coming 7 years, and the fact of the matter is that Bangkok doesn't NEED 10 bridges to alleviate the traffic problems. This is nothing but a pipe dream and you can get back to me in 2021 and we'll see how many bridges have been built and how much impact they have had on traffic in the capital. What Bangkok needs is more surface level roads. Plain and simple. Instead of building more condos, office parks, and malls, land should be used to create more surface level roads. In addition, all the crap alleyways that are called roads need to be expanded as there need to be more ways to get from point A to point B. Probably never gonna happen in my life (which should last another 30 years - roughly).

• Like 1

The cynicism comes from the reality of actually living in Thailand. This project is ambitious yes, but also untenable. There is no way in h*** that 10 bridges will be built in the coming 7 years, and the fact of the matter is that Bangkok doesn't NEED 10 bridges to alleviate the traffic problems. This is nothing but a pipe dream and you can get back to me in 2021 and we'll see how many bridges have been built and how much impact they have had on traffic in the capital. What Bangkok needs is more surface level roads. Plain and simple. Instead of building more condos, office parks, and malls, land should be used to create more surface level roads. In addition, all the crap alleyways that are called roads need to be expanded as there need to be more ways to get from point A to point B. Probably never gonna happen in my life (which should last another 30 years - roughly).

During the next two decades 10 more bridges will be erected to span the mighty Chao Phraya

Two decades=20 years. Not 7!!

Can anyone explain why the Chao Praya is "mighty"?

Because it is powerful to flood the entire central part of Thailand and close airport, industrial parks, and the City of Bangkok?

Mighty Amazon, Mighty Mekong, Mighty Mississippi, Mighty Nile, Mighty Yangtze and so on... YES. Mighty Chao Phraya? At 372 km long, for me it hardly rates. Yes, it floods. But is that because it is 'Mighty', or because of poor flood planning and water management up and down stream?

• Like 1

Can anyone explain why the Chao Praya is "mighty"?

Because it is powerful to flood the entire central part of Thailand and close airport, industrial parks, and the City of Bangkok?

Mighty Amazon, Mighty Mekong, Mighty Mississippi, Mighty Nile, Mighty Yangtze and so on... YES. Mighty Chao Phraya? At 372 km long, for me it hardly rates. Yes, it floods. But is that because it is 'Mighty', or because of poor flood planning and water management up and down stream?

Geography is not your strong suit, is it? Look up the word 'topography' and then apply it to a topographical map of Thailand. Maybe you didn't hear about the flood of 2011? If you or your house were in that flood, you would know why it is called 'mighty'; it was a mighty bad flood. Nit pick, much?

• Like 1

The Chao Phraya Bridge was first conceived in 2001 and opened in November 2007 – about a six year timeframe from conception to completion. If that serves as any guide, for a new bridge to be opened by 2021 over the same river, design would have to begin in 2015. And that wouldn’t take into account any logistics problems associated with designing ten bridges simultaneously. The budget for design would also have to be approved by the NLA for the 2015 fiscal year (10-01-2014 to 9-31-2015).

But I don’t recall any mention of a design budget for ten bridges over the Mighty Chao Phraya River being included in the Junta’s 2015 budget proposal. So the planned completion date appears unrealistic.

The Prayuth government is relying on substantial government spending for FY 2015 to kick-start the economy at the sacrifice of not providing enough future government stimulus in FY 2016 to sustain that growth. Looking ahead to 2015 there is a moderate risk of little or no economic growth. So I think that makes 2016 even untenable for budgeting purposes.

As a side issue. other than governmental bragging rights for the completion of ten bridges by 2021 over the river, there seems to be a complete lack of traffic, environmental, and socio-economic planning that would justify all these bridges.

Not sure why they could not use the same design for all 10 bridges if the ground and building conditions are similar. The article says over a 20

year period. Always normal time/cost overruns with big projects. As they have already built one bridge they should be well aware of most issues.

If they had two separate crews building and as they complete there particular phase of bridge construction and move on to build another bridge

things should move along more smoothly with each bridge as they learn from challenges and mistakes. It just requires money and commitment.

If the need is there the project is worthwhile. If there is no need the money is wasted.

Edited by Ulic

During the next two decades 10 more bridges will be erected to span the mighty Chao Phraya

Two decades=20 years. Not 7!!

Third paragraph says most bridges will be complete by 2021 which is 7 years away.