Any one else heard Nov 12th marks the return of chairs?

steelepulse

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Ok with it if it's regulated and the money goes into improving the place. Not enriching a select few.

Sent from my LG-D858

"if it's regulated and the money goes into improving the place. Not enriching a select few." - so, you are really not "ok with it" then, because it will evenually become same same as before. biggrin.png

• Like 2

Yes, I heard there was going to be a meeting on the 12th to discuss allowing businesses back on the beach. My Thai friend told me. He and his partner lost their bar/restaurant on Kamala Beach in the cleanup. Understandably he is very hopeful that they can return to business.

Oh well, another Thai crackdown that fades to a memory.

Already lots of venders on the beach, 2 surfboard rental stands and the jetskis are still parking on the beach and I freaking hate the jetskis bah.gif.

• Like 1

That's good news. Although the beaches look great now, it's not practical, especially for tourists. Remember, phuket is a beach destination, and nobody wants to be humping chairs and umbrellas down from where ever they're staying, to the beach, coupled with the fact that staying down the beach for even half a day with no shade would be impossible for families. I agree with hansgruber, it should be regulated as best possible though. No need for rows and rows either. Let's keep it simple. We will see if it works.

• Like 2

If the beach chairs will emerge during this high season it's a big lose of face for the army who cleared the beaches in the name of the public good.

I don't think they would allow that to happen.

farangs the lovely shade of pink they are cant vacation void of shade,. chairs will be back.

its simply a thai way of thinking with a farang twist=remove the chairs when nobody rents them, then when tourist come back they can bring them back, not that this isn't practical its just thais being practical by default and you long term 63 year olds on pensions having it ruin the last 8 weeks of low season causing you to loose sleep over beach longers .. awww humans, how do u bare that Andaman sea at sunset knowing behind you resides... chairs and people selling beer and coconuts....?

Edited by Leviathan

They should have thought it through before getting rid of them in the 1st place. Do you really think it's practical for families and other tourists to just sit out there in the heat on a towel? The sand will be hot btw.

Chairs and umbrellas will be back 100%. If you don't like it then bugger off to any of the other beach areas in Thailand that is quieter.

• Like 1

Yesterday I had a discussion with guests of mine who went to Goa/India a number of years in a row. They said all the beach restaurants there only have a limited number, at the most 10, of chairs on the beach.

If it can be worked out in India, where the pressure to make money from enterprising families/corrupt officials will even be bigger than in Thailand, than it should be possible to work it out in Thailand for sure.

good luck to Thailand this year in the tourism sector, esp Phuket, double average inflation rate, price hikes and currency exchange still with many western countries down 25 percent to the baht, murder, rape's, 3k bar girls, visa nonsense.. and lets keep it real if it doesn't end up a bumper year its probally the lack of chairs fault

Holy moley. 3K bar girls? That alone will drive away millions of quality tourists every year. (They may not even need the chairs)

Edited by impulse

good luck to Thailand this year in the tourism sector, esp Phuket, double average inflation rate, price hikes and currency exchange still with many western countries down 25 percent to the baht, murder, rape's, 3k bar girls, visa nonsense.. and lets keep it real if it doesn't end up a bumper year its probally the lack of chairs fault

Holy moley. 3K bar girls? That alone will drive away millions of quality tourists every year. (They may not even need the chairs)

Bar girls also implement Thai Business 101 - "money go down - put price up." :)

You take the piss out of the "sex tourists" but many of them do spend up big on their 10 nights of debauchery here, and let's not forget, it was the original sex tourist (American soliders - Vietnam War) that kicked off tourism in Thailand, which caused it to expand, rapidly, over decades.

You take the piss out of the "sex tourists" but many of them do spend up big on their 10 nights of debauchery here, and let's not forget, it was the original sex tourist (American soliders - Vietnam War) that kicked off tourism in Thailand, which caused it to expand, rapidly, over decades.

But they're still sex tourists. Selling a nation's daughters to increase GDP is not what I call quality tourism. No matter how much sweaty money they leave behind.

"But they're still sex tourists." - does that mean they do not spend? Does that mean they have criminal records? Does that make them bad people?

"Selling a nation's daughters to increase GDP is not what I call quality tourism." - sure, but perhaps you should direct blame at the supply, rather than the demand.

• Like 2

"But they're still sex tourists." - does that mean they do not spend? Does that mean they have criminal records? Does that make them bad people?

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand. Anyone visiting Thailand for an illegal purpose is, by definition, a criminal. (Edit: BTW, I'm not against prostitution. I'm just not in favor of offshoring the jobs)

The thread is about beach chairs, and whether they're going back in, and whether that's good for tourism (and I'll add, long term and short term "good")

And my contention is that as long as Thailand panders to mass tourism, of a largely sex and debauchery oriented nature, they'll be fighting the same issues continuously. But I'd ask, with not a single beach chair or bar girl in sight, which location do you think makes more money on their tourists, this one or the one with all the beach chairs?

There can be so much more to beach tourism... But someone has to admit that something needs to change.

post-138814-0-16526800-1415414800_thumb.

Edited by impulse

NamKangMan, on 07 Nov 2014 - 19:05, said:NamKangMan, on 07 Nov 2014 - 19:05, said:
hansgruber, on 07 Nov 2014 - 16:35, said:hansgruber, on 07 Nov 2014 - 16:35, said:

I'm Ok with it if it's regulated and the money goes into improving the place. Not enriching a select few.

Sent from my LG-D858

"if it's regulated and the money goes into improving the place. Not enriching a select few." - so, you are really not "ok with it" then, because it will evenually become same same as before. biggrin.png

I think hansgruber missed the point of the OP, it was NOT if you agree or not, whether the chairs should be back, it simply asked if anyone else had heard they will return on the 12 Nov.

Edited by MediaWatcher

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There can be so much more to beach tourism... But someone has to admit that something needs to change.

No sunbeds in the pic, good to see.

Edited by beechbum
  • Like 1

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand. Anyone visiting Thailand for an illegal purpose is, by definition, a criminal. (Edit: BTW, I'm not against prostitution. I'm just not in favor of offshoring the jobs)

The thread is about beach chairs, and whether they're going back in, and whether that's good for tourism (and I'll add, long term and short term "good")

And my contention is that as long as Thailand panders to mass tourism, of a largely sex and debauchery oriented nature, they'll be fighting the same issues continuously. But I'd ask, with not a single beach chair or bar girl in sight, which location do you think makes more money on their tourists, this one or the one with all the beach chairs?

"Prostitution is illegal in Thailand." - yes, it is.

"Anyone visiting Thailand for an illegal purpose is, by definition, a criminal." - no, they are not. They have to attempt to commit a crime, or actually commit a crime, and then be found guilty by a Court. After this, they can be called a criminal.

I take your point that Thailand could end sex tourism, and promote beach tourism, BUT, consider the loss of money from sex tourists, and the financial harship on Thai families in Issan, and I can't see it happening in my lifetime, considering its been happening for decades now, with no desire to stop it.

For me one row of beach chairs and umbrellas works well, food and drink carts as well. However chairs 3-4 deep

and permanent restaurant structures is a bridge too far. As they say if you give and inch someone always takes a mile.

We will see what comes to pass. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

NamKangMan, on 08 Nov 2014 - 11:14, said:
impulse, on 08 Nov 2014 - 10:47, said:
NamKangMan, on 08 Nov 2014 - 10:31, said:

"Prostitution is illegal in Thailand." - yes, it is.

"Anyone visiting Thailand for an illegal purpose is, by definition, a criminal." - no, they are not. They have to attempt to commit a crime, or actually commit a crime, and then be found guilty by a Court. After this, they can be called a criminal.

I take your point that Thailand could end sex tourism, and promote beach tourism, BUT, consider the loss of money from sex tourists, and the financial harship on Thai families in Issan, and I can't see it happening in my lifetime, considering its been happening for decades now, with no desire to stop it.

Kids, please, go back and play in the safety of your sand box, obviously you are not adult enough to face the facts of the really world, every country has a sex trade.....oh and in case you kids missed it, this op is not about the sex industry...start your own thread.