Home Perimeter Security

We had an intruder on our property the other evening, early. He climbed over the 2.5 meter wall, a neighbour saw him, yelled something, and the intruder left by jumping up and climbing over another section of the wall. We did not actually see the intruder but clearly saw muddy scuff marks where he climbed the walls.

Now that I know the wall can be breached, I want to beef up security. I'm considering an alarm system on the perimeter, along the fence/walls, using PE beams (photo electric) hooked up to a sound alarm and some lights. That and a dog.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Alarms are passe - 720P CCTV (IP) cameras that can see in the dark are only around 1000B each now, Add a few more K Baht for a DVR and some hard drives, and the next time this happens, you have it all on tape smile.png

That said, our 5 dogs are the best doorbell / alarm / deterrent I've ever encountered ;)

Edited by IMHO

Get a dog ! Best alarm system and deterrent for Thailand. Thais are generally scared of dogs, especially ones they dont know, a barking dog will stop most incidents and they are also great at warning you of snakes etc too.

i have 3 and wouldnt be without them.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the good suggestions. Yes, a dog or two seems to be the best you can do.

One worrying, and sad, caveat about dogs: they can be poisoned.

How do you avoid that? I've heard that with a lot of determined training and a smart dog, you can train it not to eat anything except what he is trained to eat. I.e. not to eat meat thrown over the fence.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. Yes, a dog or two seems to be the best you can do.

One worrying, and sad, caveat about dogs: they can be poisoned.

How do you avoid that? I've heard that with a lot of determined training and a smart dog, you can train it not to eat anything except what he is trained to eat. I.e. not to eat meat thrown over the fence.

Just feed them well and they'll never take food from anyone else. A well fed dog eats only twice per day (morning/night), and has no interest in food inbetween.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Broken Glass mortared onto the top of the wall. or some razor wire. Dog, ducks, geese all great ideas . incorporate a few very cheap ones. all together they will work very well. Get Female dogs and get them fixed one big one and a couple of the little ankle bitters that love to bark.

Edited by ToddinChonburi

Post #3 is spot on. I've had zero break in attempts since I built my wife a home in 2007. I see the virtue in a dog, but my pet cats are not of the same open mind. The Electric Fence topping which is safe, legal and easy to maintain was installed by the professional team of wasp security in 2007. On a video monitor I've seen shady characters with full helmets riding no license plate motorbikes drive up to our home during a carnival event, and take one look at the fence and WASP sign in Thai and then do an abrupt departure down the road. I know several neighbors in more sensible homes who have had daytime and night time break ins. Even homes with all the windows having security bars. The police were not able to solve those burglaries at both Thai residencies and Expat residences in our small town and nearby villages. The broken glass top on a fence is one option a neighbor selected. The electric fence is attached to 3 perimeter walls which are concrete blocks and one wall which has a not inexpensive stainless steel fence and two stainless steel gates. That stainless steel people gate is never used by our guests or family. A decent quality Medeco padlock might be a step up in actual physical security and key control, from most padlock brands sold in Thailand. I believe it is very worth while for the OP to contact a quality electric fence installer such as Mike Rust of Wasp Security. There may be several other electric fence installation companies in Thailand, but this firm gave me a fair bid in 2007 and excellent service and advise for the past eight years.

post-20604-0-58011000-1415531720_thumb.j

post-20604-0-54939400-1415531795_thumb.j

post-20604-0-33262400-1415531870_thumb.j

post-20604-0-05304000-1415532077_thumb.j

post-20604-0-94270300-1415532201_thumb.j

post-20604-0-36373900-1415532241_thumb.j

• Like 1

Post #3 is spot on. I've had zero break in attempts since I built my wife a home in 2007. I see the virtue in a dog, but my pet cats are not of the same open mind. The Electric Fence topping which is safe, legal and easy to maintain was installed by the professional team of wasp security in 2007. On a video monitor I've seen shady characters with full helmets riding no license plate motorbikes drive up to our home during a carnival event, and take one look at the fence and WASP sign in Thai and then do an abrupt departure down the road. I know several neighbors in more sensible homes who have had daytime and night time break ins. Even homes with all the windows having security bars. The police were not able to solve those burglaries at both Thai residencies and Expat residences in our small town and nearby villages. The broken glass top on a fence is one option a neighbor selected. The electric fence is attached to 3 perimeter walls which are concrete blocks and one wall which has a not inexpensive stainless steel fence and two stainless steel gates. That stainless steel people gate is never used by our guests or family. A decent quality Medeco padlock might be a step up in actual physical security and key control, from most padlock brands sold in Thailand. I believe it is very worth while for the OP to contact a quality electric fence installer such as Mike Rust of Wasp Security. There may be several other electric fence installation companies in Thailand, but this firm gave me a fair bid in 2007 and excellent service and advise for the past eight years.

What did the WASP system cost per meter?

I have ~300M of fence line - I suspect dogs and CCTV is cheaper? :)

I can not recall the exact cost of the Wasp Security Electric Fence I had installed in Buriram Province. The estimate was significantly less than a short spike of stainless steel fence topping. It has worked well for me. I would not have spent the money on Philips CCTV had I realized that a thief would just wear a full mask with a stocking face cap under the motorbike helmet while riding a motorbike with no license plate. In my observation CCTV is not a deterrent to a criminal in Thailand. A dog could be rather effective, but in my personal situation the cats overruled any dogs being added to our household.

The cost of the wasp security electric fence topping was significantly less money than any window bars I had priced in Buriram Province for the number of tempered windows I had installed. I am confident if you phone Mike Rust of Wasp Security Electric Fence in Bangkok he can give you prices and references. The cost of the wasp security electric fence was also less money than the metal security exterior doors I had priced at the Buriram Home Mart and at the Do Home in Korat.

I've been told that the nice shiny sharp stainless steel spikes can be defeated by a simple piece of bamboo with holes punched in or drilled at the proper spacing. I know that barbed wire is defeated by a stolen canvas tarp thrown on the barbed wire. I have seen some serious razor wire at the Korat Do Home that might be highly effective, but a challenge to install for a novice. You can not see the wires on an electric fence at night if it is dark. You do not notice the wires during the day. However a potential intruder would see the reflective sign placed on the fence that is in Thai and English. There are several electric fence installers in Thailand, but when I was in the market for an electric fence in Buriram province it was Mike Rust of Wasp Security who provided me with an estimate and service that made sense for my wife's plot of land.

post-20604-0-47901400-1415628537_thumb.j

post-20604-0-87335600-1415628570_thumb.j

post-20604-0-61491200-1415628818_thumb.j

post-20604-0-27780100-1415628844_thumb.j

I've been told that the nice shiny sharp stainless steel spikes can be defeated by a simple piece of bamboo with holes punched in or drilled at the proper spacing. I know that barbed wire is defeated by a stolen canvas tarp thrown on the barbed wire. I have seen some serious razor wire at the Korat Do Home that might be highly effective, but a challenge to install for a novice. You can not see the wires on an electric fence at night if it is dark. You do not notice the wires during the day. However a potential intruder would see the reflective sign placed on the fence that is in Thai and English. There are several electric fence installers in Thailand, but when I was in the market for an electric fence in Buriram province it was Mike Rust of Wasp Security who provided me with an estimate and service that made sense for my wife's plot of land.

Thanks for that Mike Rust KamalaBob, we will be building in Buriram in a few years, might just give you him a call..

btw, is your 'Kamala' the one near Mackay, Australia?

Edited by moojar

300M of fence line is problematic if you are wanting any sort of physical resistance to entry that is effective against determined individuals. The electrical systems if topped without any obstacles such as spikes, does not pose much of a defense, however it will keep anyone depending on stealth to skip your

property.

First things first is get your fence line under two layers of motion detectors and the associated lights. It is the least you can do.

I'm a satisfied customer of Mike Rust, but I have not seen him in several years. The Kamala was when I thought I was going to live on Phuket Island after those 14 flights to Phuket. However I was in a rental home when intruders twice in one night attempted to remove metal bars from a bedroom window. I know first hand how the police inaction and level of crime on a tourist island can determine where you will live. However back in 2004 I had no knowledge of electric fence toppings and I might still be living on Phuket Island had my landlord installed an electric fence. Buriram has plenty of building contractors and expats can now be served by at least one qualified building project manager who I believe can save quite a few hassles when building a home in Buriram Province.

I'm a satisfied customer of Mike Rust, but I have not seen him in several years. The Kamala was when I thought I was going to live on Phuket Island after those 14 flights to Phuket. However I was in a rental home when intruders twice in one night attempted to remove metal bars from a bedroom window. I know first hand how the police inaction and level of crime on a tourist island can determine where you will live. However back in 2004 I had no knowledge of electric fence toppings and I might still be living on Phuket Island had my landlord installed an electric fence. Buriram has plenty of building contractors and expats can now be served by at least one qualified building project manager who I believe can save quite a few hassles when building a home in Buriram Province.

Not the Mackay Kamala then - so you probably don't know my mate Bill from down that way. biggrin.png

Interested to hear more about this Buriram 'qualified building project manager', Bob. Is he the 'Mike Rust' you refer to?

Mike Rust is the operator and founder of WASP Security and he lives in Bangkok. When you are closer to building in Buriram please PM me and I will be happy to give you contact details of the building project managers I observe that complete houses built according to licensed Buriram architects plan, on time and on budget. I spent this morning at a housing site with 6 staff of Diamond Building Products looking at AAC block construction, and cement roof tile installations. Some home builders seem to have success with arranging to have technical teams from major building products companies send staff to house building sites in Buriram to consult with and teach local labor better building procedures. I believe that Mike Rust has trained his electric fence installation team the proper methods to install an electric fence as I have enjoyed over 7 years of peace of mind with the Wasp Security Electric Fence.

300M of fence line is problematic if you are wanting any sort of physical resistance to entry that is effective against determined individuals. The electrical systems if topped without any obstacles such as spikes, does not pose much of a defense, however it will keep anyone depending on stealth to skip your

property.

First things first is get your fence line under two layers of motion detectors and the associated lights. It is the least you can do.

You have to consider how determined the individual is. Most crime here against homes is small time stuff. If you do as Kamalabob has done they simply move on to an easier target.

300m is no problem, neither is 750m.

They technical bit comes ascertaining where the entry attempt was on a big fence.

As to the OP. Statistically a house that has already be burgled is more likely to be burgled again than a house that has not yet. Sad but true.

seen today by someone else:

fullname: O???? N???????
body_message: A few months back your team installed our electric fence and tonight for the first time it was put to test. Around midnight a group of five or six men tried to enter our property by climbing the wall and fence. The siren yelled out and the group was seen running away from the house. My wife and children were naturally shaken by the event but it proves the fence is doing its job. I work at sea and I sleep a lot better knowing that my family is safe when I'm not around. Thank you Mike, job well done!
telephone:
email: on*******@hotmail.com
security_code: 473rb

Edited by VocalNeal

We have cctv fitted around our home. 4 cameras infrared.

About 4 weeks ago we heard noise outside at 1am, opened monitor(in bedroom). saw a man near the gate looking at the camera, he turned and went away. When we had system fitted company told me we can put small cameras for you No way i want big ones so they can be seen, better thieves see cameras and go away than have a problem after they try to steal.