Koh Tao suspects to be indicted by end of month

Lite Beer

The defamation laws in Thailand make it almost impossible for a news source to practice investigative journalism, if they did they wouldn't stay in business long. In other words they only print what officialdom has given them, this makes it virtually impossible to debate this case as all the investigative work is being done via social media.

So we have the hardened posters calling "conspiracy theory" or "please provide a source" and then discredit any links rightly or wrongly from social media.

To name the Burmese two as likely suspect's however in my mind shows a naivety and a serious lack of awareness about how Thailand operates. Who did it?, none of us can really say but social media with all its faults has blown this case out of the water, now everyone can see Thailand's uglier,incompetent side. Although some apologists refuse to see it.

Spot on. If this had happened in a western country then the investigative journalists would have been all over it in days and uncovered all the necessary evidence. There are 100's of cases where this has happened, even respected outlets as the BBC, CNN all do investigative documentaries that can often lead to the real culprits.

Because of the restrictions on the media here what is left in Thailand? Facebook and forums.

CSILA tries its best and sometimes comes up with very interesting points that should be professionally investigated. But they lack the ability to do so and so it remains speculation. Other times they are obviously way off the mark. But they are out there, with hundreds of thousands of Thai people questioning and seeking justice. This is healthy and should be promoted. Unless of course the authorities do want Thailand to be like China and N Korea.

Call us conspiracy theorists go ahead, Cameron has just joined our ranks. At least we don't conspire with the RTP and its cover up.

• Like 2

The defamation laws in Thailand make it almost impossible for a news source to practice investigative journalism, if they did they wouldn't stay in business long. In other words they only print what officialdom has given them, this makes it virtually impossible to debate this case as all the investigative work is being done via social media.

So we have the hardened posters calling "conspiracy theory" or "please provide a source" and then discredit any links rightly or wrongly from social media.

To name the Burmese two as likely suspect's however in my mind shows a naivety and a serious lack of awareness about how Thailand operates. Who did it?, none of us can really say but social media with all its faults has blown this case out of the water, now everyone can see Thailand's uglier,incompetent side. Although some apologists refuse to see it.

Spot on. If this had happened in a western country then the investigative journalists would have been all over it in days and uncovered all the necessary evidence. There are 100's of cases where this has happened, even respected outlets as the BBC, CNN all do investigative documentaries that can often lead to the real culprits.

Because of the restrictions on the media here what is left in Thailand? Facebook and forums.

CSILA tries its best and sometimes comes up with very interesting points that should be professionally investigated. But they lack the ability to do so and so it remains speculation. Other times they are obviously way off the mark. But they are out there, with hundreds of thousands of Thai people questioning and seeking justice. This is healthy and should be promoted. Unless of course the authorities do want Thailand to be like China and N Korea.

Call us conspiracy theorists go ahead, Cameron has just joined our ranks. At least we don't conspire with the RTP and its cover up.

Yes, they do (want to be like China etc).

Self appointed all powerful military regimes decide on the outcome they want (eg KT) then `create` the facts to fit their desire. Truth is whatever the Ministry of Propaganda and National Enlightenment says it is. Disagree at your peril. Spot on again re free press and lack of investigative journalism. Too dangerous right now for Thai journalists and academics.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So why haven't the British police given any statements, or have i missed em ? This case, for 99.9% of people, is a stick up, setup, call it want you want... Being so, wheres the British police outcome ?

Like most professional police forces around the globe, they keep confidential information confidential.

Freedom of speech and everything concerned does not give the public the right to know everything as it happens. The word classification should be a clue.

That may surprise some people ...........................wink.png

In any case, the British police are not free to say anything until it has been thoroughly passed through the "proper" channels.

If they come out and say "The investigation is a crock of shit", then it would start a diplomatic incident, for sure.

Whatever the UK cops think, whatever they might even have discovered, will only be made public after thorough vetting by the British (and quite possibly Thai) authorities.

The British cops are not free agents; nor, for that matter is the UK ambassador to Thailand. There's no point in blaming them; it's not their fault.

Unfeeling though it may sound, there are bigger issues in the relationship between Thailand and the UK than the murder of these two poor people.

• Like 1

the concerns regarding torture of the suspects is rational but there's no proof that it did happen.

There is no proof it didn't happen, and before your say it, not the x-rays...rolleyes.gif

I believe petrol poured onto a person with the promise of lighting it doesn't show on an x-ray and neither does putting a plastic bag over someones head trying to suffocate them...wink.png

You cut off enough of my post to alter the meaning.

Petechial hemorrhage of the eyes doesn't go away quickly and can be observed.

I stand to be corrected but observable when the person is a corpse, and it doesn't show on X-ray either, so if you have evidence that the two where checked for this condition, then please give a source

jdinasia There is no police station on Koh Tao

Really its moved then http://www.backpackersthailand.com/index.cfm?action=destinations.kohtao_island

Here's the phone number 077 456631

To be fair, this is more likely a Police Post rather than a 'station' in the real sense. Police post's do not necessarily have any facilty for confinement. However, this is even more reason to have conducted interviews off the island and on Samui where proper facilities exist.

AFAIK, the B2 were in the safe house for a long period so there really was no justification in not moving them or are they saying the whole time they were there that they were under interview? No breaks, no sleep?

FYI. I am ex HKPF and we had many many Police Post's in and around Hong Kong on the many islands and in the remote areas around the Territory. We also had a very close relationship with RTP but mainly for Hockey Tours, they are quite good. We kept them at arms length otherwise;)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So why haven't the British police given any statements, or have i missed em ? This case, for 99.9% of people, is a stick up, setup, call it want you want... Being so, wheres the British police outcome ?

Like most professional police forces around the globe, they keep confidential information confidential.

Freedom of speech and everything concerned does not give the public the right to know everything as it happens. The word classification should be a clue.

That may surprise some people ...........................wink.png

In any case, the British police are not free to say anything until it has been thoroughly passed through the "proper" channels.

If they come out and say "The investigation is a crock of shit", then it would start a diplomatic incident, for sure.

Whatever the UK cops think, whatever they might even have discovered, will only be made public after thorough vetting by the British (and quite possibly Thai) authorities.

The British cops are not free agents; nor, for that matter is the UK ambassador to Thailand. There's no point in blaming them; it's not their fault.

Unfeeling though it may sound, there are bigger issues in the relationship between Thailand and the UK than the murder of these two poor people.

Relationship between HMG and Thailand now at its lowest ebb since WW2! Britain can boycott all Thai products (inc pineapple, Andy Hall would like that) rice, fish etc. The Eu has already halted ongoing trade negotiations with the current regime. The savage murders of two young innocent Brits, the disgusting bikini remarks, the blatantly false investigation and cover up, do really matter to Brits and their government more than whats left of dodgy diplomatic relationships. Historically the Uk does not often negotiate with tyrants. The UK does however have a duty which it takes seriously to protect the interests of its nationals overseas. That includes expats who are often hostages to fortune.

Really its moved then http://www.backpackersthailand.com/index.cfm?action=destinations.kohtao_island

To be fair, this is more likely a Police Post rather than a 'station' in the real sense. Police post's do not necessarily have any facilty for confinement. However, this is even more reason to have conducted interviews off the island and on Samui where proper facilities exist.

AFAIK, the B2 were in the safe house for a long period so there really was no justification in not moving them or are they saying the whole time they were there that they were under interview? No breaks, no sleep?

FYI. I am ex HKPF and we had many many Police Post's in and around Hong Kong on the many islands and in the remote areas around the Territory. We also had a very close relationship with RTP but mainly for Hockey Tours, they are quite good. We kept them at arms length otherwise;)

Yes possibly a post, but enough room for interviews, thats where they interviewed Chris Ware and the video was taken of Hannahs friend with her phone on the table

post-223227-0-57655400-1415456502_thumb.

Yes possibly a post, but enough room for interviews, thats where they interviewed Chris Ware and the video was taken of Hannahs friend with her phone on the table

Indeed, but the practicalities of having two suspects is that you would need two interview rooms or an interview room and a cell. Not something you would normally find in a Police Post. For the life of me I cannot imagine the B2 were interviewed together. Highly irregular if that was the case.

As I said in the previous threads - they need to prosecute, because the 84 days of detention allowed by Thai law is coming up. Even the case of KT would be dropped, they still have criminal charges for at least illegal entry - so that's the best case scenario for the B2.

Relationship between HMG and Thailand now at its lowest ebb since WW2! Britain can boycott all Thai products (inc pineapple, Andy Hall would like that) rice, fish etc. The Eu has already halted ongoing trade negotiations with the current regime. The savage murders of two young innocent Brits, the disgusting bikini remarks, the blatantly false investigation and cover up, do really matter to Brits and their government more than whats left of dodgy diplomatic relationships. Historically the Uk does not often negotiate with tyrants. The UK does however have a duty which it takes seriously to protect the interests of its nationals overseas. That includes expats who are often hostages to fortune.

What a load of nationalistic cr*p!!

• Like 1

the concerns regarding torture of the suspects is rational but there's no proof that it did happen.

There is no proof it didn't happen, and before your say it, not the x-rays...rolleyes.gif

I believe petrol poured onto a person with the promise of lighting it doesn't show on an x-ray and neither does putting a plastic bag over someones head trying to suffocate them...wink.png

You cut off enough of my post to alter the meaning.

Petechial hemorrhage of the eyes doesn't go away quickly and can be observed.

I stand to be corrected but observable when the person is a corpse, and it doesn't show on X-ray either, so if you have evidence that the two where checked for this condition, then please give a source

Petechial hemorrhage is observable while alive

The phone issue has been dealt with.

That HANNAH'S friends have not made any statement...

What a load of nationalistic cr*p!!

I believe HMG cares about its nationals overseas more than it cares about trading with this regime and that, for all its faults, the Uk stands up for justice where its own are involved. Do you disagree that relationships between Th and Uk are at their lowest ebb since WW2? On the whole I prefer a little British nationalism to the present xenophobic Thai version. .We want to see justice for innocent British victims.

Has been said that "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel". I am aware of that and do not often beat a nationalist drum but from time to time I may wave whatever flag I care to. Uk does not need Thailand ihmo.

edit sp

Edited by heyexile

Your source on the phone issue? Ah wait the INVESTIGATION exactly what part of the investigation mentions Hannah's phone on the table in Koh Tao police station, an official credible source on that is required

Where did I mention or even bring up Hannah's friends making a statement?? However she did make a statement to the local Koh Tao police, its in the video. And one would assume the same friend has also made a statement to the UK police.

Edited by thailandchilli

You are avoiding my rebuttal to your assertion that they have free speech in the following;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/774320-police-coy-over-new-probe-into-koh-tao-murders/?p=8645781

Would you care to comment with reference to you assertion above?

Murder occurred in Thailand.

Look at the memorandum regarding murder Manslaughter and Infanticide of citizens abroad.

You are avoiding my rebuttal to your assertion that they have free speech in the following;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/774320-police-coy-over-new-probe-into-koh-tao-murders/?p=8645781

Look at the memorandum regarding murder Manslaughter and Infanticide of citizens abroad.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

UK law is irrelevant?

Irrelevant.

UK law is irrelevant?

UK Inquest. Irrelevant where the murder occurred.

JD have you read the memorandum you continually reference in its entirety?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/141958/mou-fco-acpo-coroners.pdf

If you have read it in it's entirety, then its hard to understand why you would keep referencing it as you do...especially without citing sections and explaining how you think this memorandum supports your positions...because by my reading of this memorandum in its entirety, it would not help you support most if not all of the positions you use it to support.

So based on the entirety of the memorandum,

How does the fact that the murder occurred in Thailand negate sub-judice rules in England?

How does the memorandum preclude any investigation into the circumstances surrounding the murders of Hannah and David?

How does the memorandum rise to the level of "UK law" that an investigation, or anything else the UK authorities would like to do in order to determine exactly how Hannah and David were killed, would violate?

• Like 1

Irrelevant.

UK law is irrelevant?

JD I believe your dealing with a real ex British policeman who does actually know what he is talking about

So please stop playing the role of RTP's dancing farang monkey