Video of row on Skytrain spurs debate

Lite Beer

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Toot also said: "Please don't talk about sexual preference. It doesn't matter if you are lesbian, gay or straight. Flirting in public is not cool."

Please lets not go back to the days where in Thai custom simple hand holding was generally not acceptable in public (nor kissing). Kids (the Z Generation) do it today in Thailand but you wont see their parents (or anyone older) holding hands. I'm not saying that throwing a leg over should be acceptable, but a certain simple display of affection should be tolerable to adults. I like to see kids respect each other (AC or DC). Its up to Thais to work this out.

What did she say? Falangs do that, but we are Thais. Right?

The tomboy said farang also do it and she shouldn't discriminate people based on race.

The angry women replied that that is the business of the farang.

She said that she is in Thailand and has never seen farang hugging and she now sees Thai people doing it, and everyone around is Thai and speaks Thai.

To me it's all bullshit, the irritated woman that is trying to defend the Thai culture is a hypocrite.

She is criticizing the people with a loud aggressive voice and publicly blaming them.

In the in end, the one that is the least Thai in this story is the angry irritated woman.

The "least Thai"?

I do not know a similar expression in the US. If this were an American mass transit and two Americans were in this conversation I cannot conceive of ones behavior being called less American.

The content of their conversation is quite enlightening as it demonstrates Thai perception and opinion of farang habits. Thanks for the translation.

From an early age, Thais are taught "Thainess" at school. Part of the curriculum states, not to show acts of sexual nature in public.

Things are changing, 20 years ago I never saw any Thais holding hands(even in Bangkok) but today I do. There will always be old fuddy duddies like Mary Whitehouse in all societies.

Neither of them is the "perfect Thai" and each have a right to their opinion. They should also have their "sapaw neeranam" protected and not be shared all over cyberspace.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

It's a normal thing for Thais to say. I've overheard mothers talking to their kids saying things like, "where's your manners, you're not a farang". Racist but the way it is. I've no noaubt that some farang parents say, "don't do that, you're not Thai".

Some thais obsession with farangs is funny and quite interesting. I think its a confused one with envy, admiration, resentment and much more all piled together.

As for kissing and giving handjobs or whatever on the skytrain, have at it.

Edited by Kaalle
  • Like 1

The tomboy said farang also do it and she shouldn't discriminate people based on race.

She said that she is in Thailand and has never seen farang hugging and she now sees Thai people doing it, and everyone around is Thai and speaks Thai.

To me it's all bullshit, the irritated woman that is trying to defend the Thai culture is a hypocrite.

She is criticizing the people with a loud aggressive voice and publicly blaming them.

In the in end, the one that is the least Thai in this story is the angry irritated woman.

The "least Thai"?

I do not know a similar expression in the US. If this were an American mass transit and two Americans were in this conversation I cannot conceive of ones behavior being called less American.

The content of their conversation is quite enlightening as it demonstrates Thai perception and opinion of farang habits. Thanks for the translation.

From an early age, Thais are taught "Thainess" at school. Part of the curriculum states, not to show acts of sexual nature in public.

Yes, and Thainess includes also to hide emotions. Just smile and play the happy guy. I believe, this is a reason, why Thais explode sometimes and do some drastic things like stabbing, shooting and so on. It seems, it's hard for many Thais to let their accumulated aggression in a controlled way out.

• Like 1

well, if nothing else, we should be grateful for the introduction of a new word to the english language - toleration

Ridiculous and misplaced.

If you are talking about sexual orientation or gender identification, it is already present in both cultures.

If you are talking about toleration in a public space then the best approach is for everyone to behave properly and save their romance for the privacy of their home.

Its worked great like that for centuries.

• Like 1

well, if nothing else, we should be grateful for the introduction of a new word to the english language - toleration

If you are talking about sexual orientation or gender identification, it is already present in both cultures.

If you are talking about toleration in a public space then the best approach is for everyone to behave properly and save their romance for the privacy of their home.

Yo CC,

You do realize that the word "toleration" in fairly archaic compared to the word "tolerance", right?

I'm pretty sure that's what HooHaa is getting at.

Good point, Blues. In Malaysia the religious police forbid unmarried couples from holding hands etc, and many, including myself view this as too conservative. So, where do we 'draw the line', should the public learn to accept others expression or should we shun the evolution of social behaviour and wear black on Sundays......

The unfortunate fact is that many countries, my home country of the US included, have allowed extreme religiosity to inform their cultural values. I have zero problem with anyone having, and exercising, their own religious beliefs. Where I draw the line is when others want to force their religious or moral values on me, or anyone else. The thing about culture is that it is constantly evolving, or at least it should be if the culture is to adapt and be accepted by the rest of the world, and not result in a country being ostracized by the global community. What was the norm a generation ago is not going to be the norm a generation from now. This is naturally uncomfortable for those who derive their "security" from the status quo. I still remember being derided and "advised" that I should "Get a haircut" when I was young. Seems I was a "filthy, disgusting hippy"...and I took a bath every day, wore clean clothes, and even brushed my teeth, lol! My two cents? If it makes you uncomfortable, but it's not illegal...don't look. Just go back to doing something that's actually constructive...like playing "Candy Crush Saga". And even if it is illegal, depending on the activity, maybe it's time to reassess our values, especially if that activity isn't harming you, or anyone else.

• Like 2

Yo CC,

You do realize that the word "toleration" in fairly archaic compared to the word "tolerance", right?

I'm pretty sure that's what HooHaa is getting at.

And your very first post .

Now I feel extra special that you got an account just to tslk to me.

Welcome.

Make yourself at home.

And you're going to have to work with me here.

The first poster is saying its a new term to the english language and now you're saying its archaic.

Maybe you and he better have a powwow to figure out which word you mean.

;-)

Edited by ClutchClark

Good point, Blues. In Malaysia the religious police forbid unmarried couples from holding hands etc, and many, including myself view this as too conservative. So, where do we 'draw the line', should the public learn to accept others expression or should we shun the evolution of social behaviour and wear black on Sundays......

The unfortunate fact is that many countries, my home country of the US included, have allowed extreme religiosity to inform their cultural values. I have zero problem with anyone having, and exercising, their own religious beliefs. Where I draw the line is when others want to force their religious or moral values on me, or anyone else. The thing about culture is that it is constantly evolving, or at least it should be if the culture is to adapt and be accepted by the rest of the world, and not result in a country being ostracized by the global community. What was the norm a generation ago is not going to be the norm a generation from now. This is naturally uncomfortable for those who derive their "security" from the status quo. I still remember being derided and "advised" that I should "Get a haircut" when I was young. Seems I was a "filthy, disgusting hippy"...and I took a bath every day, wore clean clothes, and even brushed my teeth, lol! My two cents? If it makes you uncomfortable, but it's not illegal...don't look. Just go back to doing something that's actually constructive...like playing "Candy Crush Saga". And even if it is illegal, depending on the activity, maybe it's time to reassess our values, especially if that activity isn't harming you, or anyone else.

I don't understand Thai so I don't know if the women on the bus were talking about religion but it had not been mentioned previously.

How exactly does religion come into play here?

And haircuts?

Thanks

Hey, I got a very nice skimpy speedo that I swim laps in. Its been so hot some days in BKK that I have had a real hankerin' to just wear that little ol' piece of nylon and my flip-flops as I go about my daily routine.

I was worried it would be taken as impolite to society but your words have given me personal encouragement to let my freak flag fly (as was a popular saying maybe 40 years ago).

Cheers

And how is that an expression of emotional feeling towards another? After all that is what these people were doing.

Some might say you are deliberately comparing two things that are not alike and are even talking nonsense for reasons of your own.

Not me though.

Ohh...emotional feeling? Is that what you are calling this scene?

About as emotional feeling as two dogs humping.

I was referencing your statement: "Let people express themselves and be who they are." In my Speedo scenario.

Nope.

Kissing is not "humping"

It's kissing.

Let me try to clarify this even further for you. This was not a public display of affection--that can be accomplished by holding hands or giving a quick peck.

What this was is the more base behavior of sexual desire.

It might have also been intentionally performed to create a stir. I can't speak for Thailand but many of these young Lesbians in the US enjoy this "in your face" aggressive type tactic towards the public at large. Sort of a "yes we are lesbians and we want to shock you".

Since you & I were not there it is impossible to say so there is little point in our continuing said discussion.

As always--the last word is your.

;-)

You are really out of date sir...

The prudishness of Thais about kissing in public or going on beaches with very little fabric on, has always made me laugh, considering what goes on in the go go bars. Ah... Miss Bigotry and Miss Hypocrisy... you two dessicated old spinsters are here to stay.

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

The prudishness of Thais about kissing in public or going on beaches with very little fabric on, has always made me laugh, considering what goes on in the go go bars. Ah... Miss Bigotry and Miss Hypocrisy... you two dessicated old spinsters are here to stay.

So you are saying you see Thailand as a huge population of go-go bars or that go-go bars represent BKK?

What does the fact there are go-go bars in a seedy part of Bangkok not frequented by more than 90% of BKK Thais have to do with standards of behavior in public places amongst the majority of Thais who go to work each day and having nothing to do with the sex worker trade?

• Like 1

^^

ClutchClark - No. It only reflects a couple of people's perception and opinion of farang habits. Let us keep that in mind...

You're dead wrong bro.

It reflects way more than "...a couple of people's perception and opinion of farang habits."

It's the majority opinion here, and with good reason.

Kissing is a sexual action. And so it is bad manners to do it in public, be in in the West or in Thailand, the same.

Every action that distracts the attention of people around too grossly is bad manners. Basta!

What and a man dressed up as a women does not attract attention to many people, you are having a laugh

Are public shows of affection a little disturbing? A hug, peck on the cheek (or quick peck on the lips) is fine. Thais should note that most of us 'farangs' see public snogging as a bit lewd. I'm not a fan and you don't know where to look.

However, if it is two very attractive females snogging on trains, then my first thought was ''allow it...in fact encourage it''. However, most of the time you end up standing up on the MRT or BTS. I don't fancy bumping my 'soldier standing to attention' on the train with other 'trouser tents'.

So, sadly we can't have sexy ladies getting it on in public.sad.png

The "least Thai"?

Yes, and Thainess includes also to hide emotions. Just smile and play the happy guy. I believe, this is a reason, why Thais explode sometimes and do some drastic things like stabbing, shooting and so on. It seems, it's hard for many Thais to let their accumulated aggression in a controlled way out.

This is not taught at schools, well not under the topic of Thainess. This is more an individual psychological affliction called co-dependency.

Tolerance is taught to be a good characteristic and if one has high tolerance others may perceive it as hiding emotions but it isn't always what it appears to be.

Maxme,

Please edit your post for proper quotes and then take a few minutes to expound on your thought as it is presently incomplete if it does not allow rebuttal.

I think it was the point. If you are going to be disturbed by two people kissing or smooching if you so wish, I suggest you relocate to a community where time is stuck in a loop, preferably one that is stuck in the 50s era. Either that or acknowledge that time changes and that you either keep up with it or just accept that it does.

• Like 1

Are public shows of affection a little disturbing? A hug, peck on the cheek (or quick peck on the lips) is fine. Thais should note that most of us 'farangs' see public snogging as a bit lewd. I'm not a fan and you don't know where to look.

However, if it is two very attractive females snogging on trains, then my first thought was ''allow it...in fact encourage it''. However, most of the time you end up standing up on the MRT or BTS. I don't fancy bumping my 'soldier standing to attention' on the train with other 'trouser tents'.

So, sadly we can't have sexy ladies getting it on in public.sad.png

Why not, is a street not a public place? and yet I see Thais do worse things than that on a some public streets, affection is affection never mind how you dress it up or do it, some countries you can not even put your hands around a women's waist without a stare or remarks, but hey it is what it is, this is the 21st century get over it

That's fair enough. I'll 'get over it' when you tell me where the line is, oh great one. Snogging? Touching up? Blow jobs?

Where is the line? I don't like seeing people eat each other's faces and getting bit touchy feely in public places. Sorry. But if you're ok with it...where is your line?

• Like 1