New rule limiting the number of 30 day visa exemption entries to six only

Flew in to Don Muang last night from KL and was told by immigration officers that a new rule was introduced last month, restricting the number of entries on a 30 day visa exemption to six only. Was told that this is for the life of the passport which I find hard to believe.

I have many visa exemption stamps in my passport with actual stays ranging from one day to the full 30 days. Flew into Swampy on 25th October and got a visa exemption with no problems them flew out again to Malaysia on 29th October.

The immigration officer at the desk spoke no English at all so the conversation was conducted in Thai which I speak well enough to understand what I was being told. The officer called her supervisor who confirmed everything above. It looked to me like something on the computer screen prompted her, as she was about to stamp my passport when she read something and frowned.

At the end of the discussion I was told that I should consider myself lucky that I was being granted entry this time. I must get a visa for my next visit and I can *never* enter Thailand again on a 30 day visa exemption. At least for the life of my current passport.

I am pretty well behaved visitor who works off shore and spends my down time in Thailand. Have solutions to the problem but just wanted to share and warn people.

• Like 1

As far as I know no such rule exists.

It would be absurd to say it was for for the life of the passport. It would have to be over a fixed period of time.

My understanding also which is why I questioned them closely about when the rule was introduced I was told last month. I also questioned closely about how long I would have to wait before I could enter on a thirty day exemption and they said you cannot enter again.

What I mean to be precise is that you joined this forum 1 hour ago and nothing like this ever happened. If such a policy was being enforced Thaivisa would be full of posts concerning it from members.

I myself arrived at BKK on Thursday for 5th time
in 2014 alone on visa exemption, nothing was said.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
derogatory comment

What I mean to be precise is that you joined this forum 1 hour ago and nothing like this ever happened. If such a policy was being enforced Thaivisa would be full of posts concerning it from members.

I myself arrived at BKK on Thursday for 5th time

in 2014 alone on visa exemption, nothing was said.

<removed>

Yes I joined the forum one hour ago because of exactly what you say, I am interested to see if this has happened to anyone else.

What form of proof do you require that this really happened? More that happy to provide whatever you want.

• Like 1

Did they mark anything in your passport to the effect that you can no longer enter on a visa exempt?

I find that truly remarkable, especially for a person in your situation (rotation?) working for O&G where it would be difficult to get a visa for each of your off-periods.

Hope they have got it very wrong, especially for yourself and the many others that are in your situation.

Did they mark anything in your passport to the effect that you can no longer enter on a visa exempt?

I find that truly remarkable, especially for a person in your situation (rotation?) working for O&G where it would be difficult to get a visa for each of your off-periods.

Hope they have got it very wrong, especially for yourself and the many others that are in your situation.

They marked nothing in my passport but said it would be in the system. I was left with the feeling that there may have been some sort of update to their system that has given them new capabilities.

I used your argument with them that I would not have time to apply for a tourist visa sitting my trips away but the senior officer was insistent that this was the only way I could enter Thailand again.

Since November last year I have really entered a lot since my stays here can be quite short and my trips away also quite short. Maybe that triggered the different treatment.

Edited by mngmn

In 2014 alone I have entered Thailand with 30 day visa on arrival more than 20 times, I speak Thai well and have never been told what the OP was told. My last entry was 6 Nov......nothing said!

Until last night my experience was identical to yours. So this has left me somewhat stunned. Was your most recent entry through Don Muang?

Since the initial consensus seems to be either that of disbelief or that this has never happened before. Does anyone have constructive advice on what I should do.

Ignore the conversation and attempt to enter again as a visa exemption?

Contact immigration for clarification?

Suck it up and get a tourist visa?

In 2014 alone I have entered Thailand with 30 day visa on arrival more than 20 times, I speak Thai well and have never been told what the OP was told. My last entry was 6 Nov......nothing said!

Until last night my experience was identical to yours. So this has left me somewhat stunned. Was your most recent entry through Don Muang?

No, I entered through Swampy

I had no problems when I entered on the 25th October through Swampy!

I've entered about a dozen times this year and 50+ at a guess on my current passport and not had a problem. At both Swampy (mostly) and DM.

As per the post of mine you responded to in another thread it has recently happened to my mate at Swampy. No idea why but he says they told him he was tagged as a visa runner - which we assume is because he has had a few 2-3 day trips to neighbouring countries. But he doesn't live here, and he's never here that long anyway.

No one is aware of any new law, the old 6 visits rule was repealed years ago and there is no obvious explanation for this, other than perhaps short side trips with visa exemption on both sides get you tagged as a visa runner? Maybe.

I'm sure you could talk to immigration while you're here and they'd likely tell you the info is wrong. In which case you'd just pretend it never happened.

Absent a rule or a copy of the "new rule" they referred to, there's not much anyone can add I suspect.

I've entered about a dozen times this year and 50+ at a guess on my current passport and not had a problem. At both Swampy (mostly) and DM.

As per the post of mine you responded to in another thread it has recently happened to my mate at Swampy. No idea why but he says they told him he was tagged as a visa runner - which we assume is because he has had a few 2-3 day trips to neighbouring countries. But he doesn't live here, and he's never here that long anyway.

No one is aware of any new law, the old 6 visits rule was repealed years ago and there is no obvious explanation for this, other than perhaps short side trips with visa exemption on both sides get you tagged as a visa runner? Maybe.

I'm sure you could talk to immigration while you're here and they'd likely tell you the info is wrong. In which case you'd just pretend it never happened.

Absent a rule or a copy of the "new rule" they referred to, there's not much anyone can add I suspect.

Thanks. Yes I think I did make a very short (two day) trip last year. Working in IT I suspect that what has happened is that they have analysed entry records and tagged people who look like visa runners. Remote possibility that the rules where not well thought out resulting in some people getting tagged who don't deserve it :)

This could be why their are only a smattering of people it happens to. This of course is pure speculation on my part.

The only thing that has come out from immigration are these guidelines. attachicon.gifImmigratioNotice4-English_PDF.pdf

Assume printing them out and referring to them just likely to get you deported.

It would be denial of entry not deportation. You cannot be deported if you are not in country yet.

I don't think they would deny entry for for showing them the document.

Not sure what you can do other than not fly into DMK. It seems Suv has a better record for not making problems for people on entry.

OK let's consider this tropic closed. As I mentioned I have a solution but now reassured that it has actually happened to other people and I am not going crazy.

Looking forward to the (now deleted) offer of a free Elite membership. Or was that just one too many breakfast Leos talking?

Working in IT I suspect that what has happened is that they have analysed entry records and tagged people who look like visa runners.

It would certainly make sense for the computer to be flagging up someone with more than six visa-exempt entries as not a normal tourist. After all, a Thai passport only last 5 years. However, unless refusal of entry would be devastating, I think it makes sense to do nothing until we here of more cases.

I suggest this thread be kept open in case there are more cases. If entries before a certain date are being ignored, it may take time for the six entries to be accumulated. Of course, there may be local instructions on not paying a lot of heed to what the computer says in this matter, and they might not have been promulgated at Don Mueang.

I had no problems when I entered on the 25th October through Swampy!

There is no such thing as a 30 day visa on arrival. Obviously you don't understand what type of stamp you have been given over the last 20 times.

Enjoy

• Like 1

Another TV Lurker with nothing better to do than be a pedant. I arrive, they stamp my passport and after the words "Visa class" the immigration officer hand writes "30". To my uneducated self that means I got a 30 day visa on arrival!

Note: This post in response to the post by Hathairat2711

Edited by midasthailand

I've read now of multiple people being told this at the airport.

It's possible that an internal letter has been circulated, possibly without mention of a time period, so to make some office interpret it's for "lilfe"!

Without seeing the written regulation we simply can't know.

Perhaps it would be a good time now for the member that have good contacts with immigration to try to access the regulation if it exists.

Edited by paz

Another TV Lurker with nothing better to do than be a pedant. I arrive, they stamp my passport and after tge words "Visa class" the immigration officer hand writes "30". To my uneducated self that means I got a 30 day visa on arrival!

It's NOT about being pedantic. It's visa exempt, not visa on arrival.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

Another TV Lurker with nothing better to do than be a pedant. I arrive, they stamp my passport and after tge words "Visa class" the immigration officer hand writes "30". To my uneducated self that means I got a 30 day visa on arrival!

It is a visa exempt entry. It is in no way a visa.

A visa on arrival gives a 15 day entry, costs 1000 baht and is only for those from certain countries.

• Like 1