New rule limiting the number of 30 day visa exemption entries to six only

Immigration has a procedure they have to follow in order to deny entry and put the stamp in your passport stating it is under section 12 and which clauses of it was for.

There is even a form you have to fill in and sign.

So yes you would be given the chance to show financial proof.

At a border crossing it is the same but many people mistakenly just turnaround and go back to the other country after the officer does a verbal denial.

Interesting posts....I landed a few days ago and got pulled aside after the counter officer asked if I had visa and I said no. The senior officer asked why I come here a lot and what work do I do and why I not get a visa. My replies were my girlfriend lives here, I like it here, I don't want to get married and I work on a computer, the laptop and internet is my office, trading currency and stuff. She also asked how much cash I had on me and how much in my accounts, I said I was a millionaire in USD and showed her all my cards and Amex gold card and she laughed. I said I never had problems before with coming in and out of Thailand and never overstayed ever for 7 years....she said the law had changed from last year that on 30 day exempts then the person can only stay a maximum of 90 days per year. I totally exceeded that off course since for years I have been coming here, stay 30 days plus extension and then go HK or Tokyo or Singapore for a few weeks then come back and stay another 30 days plus extensions......

The officer was really nice though and she said ok I let you through this time but next time please get a visa. So now I don't know how easy it is to get tourist visa since my passport is full of stamps. Has anyone been in a similar situation like me and had no issues getting a tourist visa after all these exempt stamps that are only a few weeks apart? Or was I just unlucky with the immigration officer?

Last year I was seriously thinking about the 15k USD Thai Elite Card....I guess I have to take that option now? Or whatever options do I have if I don't want to get married and 10 years off retirement age? I really like it here!!

Was it not a little dodgy to tell the officer that you effectively had your office with you so could work from anywhere (including Thailand)!

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this just happened to me when arriving at Don Muang.

I was told that I was allowed 6 entries within a year. The IO told me that I need to get a visa next time or else I would be blocked. He said that it came up on the computer that I had exceded the 6 entries. I only have 4 entries with 2 extensions in the last year. They are not back to back, nor have all my stays been the full 30 days. I've just been traveling around SE Asia for the last year or so.

Any new info on this obstacle?

As said before in the topic there is no rule that they can use to deny entry for having more than 6 entries. Only if you cannot meet the financial proof or suspicion or working here under section 12 of the immigration act can they deny entry. Having the equivalent of 20k baht in cash will take care of the financial proof. Proof of employment outside the country or proof of money from outside the country will take care of the working suspicion..

UbonJoe what about this stated on the Thaivisaservice site?

You are allowed a total of 90 days under visa exempt per calendar year. Valid for ASEAN, Westerners, Russian and Japanese. Time spend under Tourist Visa or Non Immigrant or extensions are not counted towards that 90 day allowance.

Does this only apply to land crossings? Also does it mean only 3 entries are allowed or is it possible to get a 30 day extension on each entry therefore totalling close to 180 days on visa exempt + extensions

Edited by darrendsd

The 90 day rule is only for doing out/in crossings at certain land border crossings. In those cases they will not allow you to leave the country.

At a border crossings they do not always follow the official procedures needed to deny entry.

At airports they have to follow the procedures to deny entry and one of those is a stamp that mentions section 12 and the clause(s) of it used. There is also a form they have to complete for you to sign.

The 90 day rule is only for doing out/in crossings at certain land border crossings. In those cases they will not allow you to leave the country.

At a border crossings they do not always follow the official procedures needed to deny entry.

At airports they have to follow the procedures to deny entry and one of those is a stamp that mentions section 12 and the clause(s) of it used. There is also a form they have to complete for you to sign.

Ubon. We all rely on your info. I for one spent first 2 years on mixture of MANY visa exempt stamps with few tv. Personally I exit los every few weeks and stay in other countries for maybe a week. Are you suggesting I someone could do this ongoing. Meaning fly out for say a week stay elsewhere and fly back in to obtain another stamp.,??

Ubon. We all rely on your info. I for one spent first 2 years on mixture of MANY visa exempt stamps with few tv. Personally I exit los every few weeks and stay in other countries for maybe a week. Are you suggesting I someone could do this ongoing. Meaning fly out for say a week stay elsewhere and fly back in to obtain another stamp.,??

I don't want to answer in place of Ubonjoe . What I know is that there is no published rule prohibiting that but from multiple, coherent reports at some point you will be given a secondary interview, pressured and possibly stamped on your passport to not make any more visa exempt entries.

Edited by paz

whistling.gif As far as I know there is no limitation on how many visa exempt entries you can obtain, but you probably Will be questioned after your 6th entry.

The question will be of the nature on WHY you keep entering on visa exempt entries. and exactly WHY you can not obtain a tourist visa instead of continuing to use visa exempt 30 day entries all the time..

While there is no direct prohibition on number of visa exempt entries the computer will FLAG you as being suspicious for questioning on your 6th entry, and you may very well be delayed until you answer their questions to their satisfaction.

To avoid all this unpleasantness I would highly suggest you purchase a single entry 60 day tourist visa to avoid the hassle.

Your problem is that you are triggering alarms by appearing to be a illegal worker working in Thailand without a visa or work permit by those repeated visa exempt entries.

Your problem is that you are triggering alarms by appearing to be a illegal worker working in Thailand without a visa or work permit by those repeated visa exempt entries.

With their hassling of repeat visa exempt users, Thai immigration is well beyond the simple suspect of working illegal. They question people that with simple evidence (e.g. oil workers coming to Thailand one week every 2 months), or because of their age are are clearly not violating any labour law.

My opinion is that since the regulation limiting visa exempt stay was repealed, they eventually made their own version in the form of an unpublished "computer warning".

Edited by paz

According to the OP you are entitled to only six exemption stamps over the life of the passport. That is six over 10 years. It’s not much is it? Is this the correct information?

No

I think that it will reset after a period of time.

The 6 entries number is just an alert to inform the officer that a person has a number of exempt entries so that he can review those entries to see if they are out/in entries.

According to the OP you are entitled to only six exemption stamps over the life of the passport. That is six over 10 years. It’s not much is it? Is this the correct information?

No

I think that it will reset after a period of time.

The 6 entries number is just an alert to inform the officer that a person has a number of exempt entries so that he can review those entries to see if they are out/in entries.

" I think that it will reset after a period of time "

any guess as to what that period of time is likely to be?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. I am in BKK now. 60 year old from USA.

I am retired and come here to visit my GF and enjoy the country. I was stopped yesterday at DMK for my 6 entries this year. All my entries/exit are always back to USA for at least one month before I come back to Thailand.

I was told I need to get a Visa next time.

Like others have said, there does not appear to be any written rule on this from what I can find. Correct? The officers (3 of them) told me it is a brand new rule just instituted.

Also, just to clarify, there is no 180/90 rule any longer?

I guess anther question is what is the one year rule? Will they consider 2016 a start of a new year? smile.png.

I am leaving here on Xmas back to the USA and coming back in 16 days. With the holidays I don't think I be able to get a Visa anyway before my return. I plan on chancing it at Suvarnabumi. Is there a chance I will be denied entry? I assume there is some sort of notation in my file now thatI was warned about the Visa.

Thank you for any input.

I am retired and come here to visit my GF and enjoy the country. I was stopped yesterday at DMK for my 6 entries this year. All my entries/exit are always back to USA for at least one month before I come back to Thailand.

Like others have said, there does not appear to be any written rule on this from what I can find. Correct? The officers (3 of them) told me it is a brand new rule just instituted.

I guess anther question is what is the one year rule? Will they consider 2016 a start of a new year? smile.png.

I am leaving here on Xmas back to the USA and coming back in 16 days. With the holidays I don't think I be able to get a Visa anyway before my return. I plan on chancing it at Suvarnabumi. Is there a chance I will be denied entry? I assume there is some sort of notation in my file now thatI was warned about the Visa.

Thank you for any input.

There is no "Rule" but the Immigration Service is keen to eradicate abuse of the visa exempt entry which some attempt to use as a means of living/working in Thailand. I believe the "six" entry flag is a rolling, ongoing alert system

It is doubtful that you would be barred from entry at the Airport. You may well be questioned again as to what , exactly, you are doing in Thailand.

You should have 20,000 Bht(or equivalent in $) CASH as proof of having adequate funds.

You should in future obtain a visa .

There are three choices , single entry tourist visa, multiple entry tourist visa or an O/A visa all easily obtained in the States.

Edited by expatbrit

Thank you for any input.

You could avoid any further problems by getting a multiple entry non-o visa for being 50 or over from one of the honorary consulates in the states. It would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

The consulate in Portland has been reported as being the best one. List of all of them is here: http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

I am sure you could get one in the 16 days that you are back in the states.

You could avoid any further problems by getting a multiple entry non-o visa for being 50 or over from one of the honorary consulates in the states. It would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

The consulate in Portland has been reported as being the best one. List of all of them is here: http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

I am sure you could get one in the 16 days that you are back in the states.

Agreed. At least at the the honorary consulate in Houston the 'O' visa was done within 30 minutes of me handing them my application. Summer 2014.

Hey guys, I am an o&g worker on a 21/21 roster, have been coming to Thai for 2 years now on visa exemption, 4 or 5 trips ago I was stopped in Phuket and asked what I was doing, where am I working why am I coming here without a visa, simple replies led to them letting me through no problems, the following trip I enterd through swampy not even a blink of an eye I was through. The following trip again I had my Mother with me and they pulled me aside and told me he wasn't going to let me in as I had no visa and was warned the previous time, explaining I worked offshore, told them was bring my mum over for her birthday so he let me pass again, during that stay is when I went to two immigration offices in Phuket where I was told there is no such law and as I am exiting for a period of time and returning without overstaying I can continue on visa exemption, So last month as I enterd (think it was the same supervisor) was yelling at me saying you don't have a visa we tell you last time, I explained I went to immigration in Phuket town to that he got even more heated ( I remained polite and calm as I always do) and tried asking him what visa I need to enter for short periods of time and that he would not answer me, after speaking to my girlfriend on the phone he let me in warning me that it's the last time, he is putting a block against my name on the computer. Returning to the immigration offices with my girlfriend hoping to achieve receiving something in writing they said no if you have money you don't need a visa. I exited at Swampy and I as the IO about returning on exemption he looked on the computer he said no problems at all.

I was trying to be on the safe side and apply for 6 month multiple entry visa, or even a single entry tourist visa but to do that in Australia will take them over a week which I don't exactly want to sit around and wait for. Even entering through swampy as I have had no problems there? Or wondering if you guys can give me advice on where I can fly to first to get a quicker visa?

• Like 1

Remain calm and polite and meet the bluff.

There are only very limited reasons by which you can be denied entry at the airport .

Make sure you have at least 20,000 Bht (or equivalent) in cash(as proof of adequate funds) and evidence of being employed outside Thailand.

I have a friend who works a similar rota to yourself. He comes and goes via Phuket on a regular basis using a visa exempt entry. He has been challenged but it seems they have now determined he is ok and they just stamp him in/out with no comment.

If you really want to obtain a visa the best places are Vientiane or Penang .

Yeah I will give it a go I am going to fly through suvarnibhumi anyway as I feel it will be easier even though it will add 3 hours to my journey. I always have well over 20000 with me and I will bring pay slips and itineraries to and from work also. Let's say the off chance they were to stop me, will I have the choice of arranging another flight somewhere? And will that affect obtaining a visa in the future if I have been denied entry before?

Yeah I will give it a go I am going to fly through suvarnibhumi anyway as I feel it will be easier even though it will add 3 hours to my journey. I always have well over 20000 with me and I will bring pay slips and itineraries to and from work also. Let's say the off chance they were to stop me, will I have the choice of arranging another flight somewhere? And will that affect obtaining a visa in the future if I have been denied entry before?

If they want to deny entry they have to involve a Senior Officer and complete a pile of paperwork !

It will not happen.smile.png

Ubonjoe mentioned it a few times: the perception is that immigration officers are now required to look at a passport more closely when it has six or more visa-exempt entries over the past 12 months to see whether there is cause to suspect that the traveller may be working illegally in Thailand. Perhaps a flag was added to your record to label you as being above suspicion on your previous entry and thus you sailed through without delay on your last entry.

I can understand them perusing things to see if the person is working in Thailand. But if the person just visits often for R &R, they should let them in. Of course how to determine that is a bit of a question.

Working in IT I suspect that what has happened is that they have analysed entry records and tagged people who look like visa runners.

It would certainly make sense for the computer to be flagging up someone with more than six visa-exempt entries as not a normal tourist. After all, a Thai passport only last 5 years. However, unless refusal of entry would be devastating, I think it makes sense to do nothing until we here of more cases.

I suggest this thread be kept open in case there are more cases. If entries before a certain date are being ignored, it may take time for the six entries to be accumulated. Of course, there may be local instructions on not paying a lot of heed to what the computer says in this matter, and they might not have been promulgated at Don Mueang.

6 entries in 5 years isn't many. Until I moved here I used to visit Thailand on holiday about 3 times per year. I would also often visit Laos and Cambodia meaning in a one month trip I would enter Thailand about 3 times.

Did they mark anything in your passport to the effect that you can no longer enter on a visa exempt?

I find that truly remarkable, especially for a person in your situation (rotation?) working for O&G where it would be difficult to get a visa for each of your off-periods.

Hope they have got it very wrong, especially for yourself and the many others that are in your situation.

I do not believe there computers tell them very little to the effect of how many 30 day entries you have used. I think your right and maybe the girl wanted to be a smarty. A Thai long ago told me that same thing at Cambodia border. Guess what I crossed again with another official :)

They make the rules up as they go. Although they may have introduced the new law and they never tell the public. It is poor service.

whistling.gif I haven't seen any actual reports of someone getting denied entry, but they may well stop you and question you on your fifth or sixth visa free entry.

There is no hard and fast rule, but if you show 6 visa exempt entries in a year or less you are a likely candidate to be stopped and questioned.

What they are most interested in is those who may be working in Thailand without a work permit.

It would be wise if you are close to that point to try to get a tourist visa entry before you run into the problem as a visa allays their suspicion.

I also suggested that, if possible, you try to get some type of letter from your company showing you as a shift worker that regularly enters Thailand on your shift break. Then when you here on a break get that letter translated into Thai.

Carry that letter and a copy of that letter with you just to show if you are stopped and questioned.

It might not work ,but it is worth the try.

Like the Dinosaurs.....learn to Evolve or Die.

Edited by IMA_FARANG