Pink Floyd Just Made History One Last Time

Lite Beer

All those great albums listed at the beginning of the article were, in a large part, written and created by Roger Waters. IMO Pink Floyd ended a couple of decades ago when he left the band.

The post Waters albums, were, again IMO of course, just hollow, a bit empty and boring attempts to keep the fame and cash flow alive.

I thought the band was much better without Waters, he had become a total ar$hole, yes he wrote some great songs but he was never ever bigger than the rest of the band. Oh and yes he can't sing IMO. But having said all that, I wish I was a baht behind him.

If you took the time to listen to the solo work of Waters verses Gilmores, you would have to admit (maybe) that Waters was Pink Floyd. Yes Waters was a bit of an arse when they split. but the fact is Pink floyd never produced anything close to their music when Waters split from the band.

Even on "the Wall" Gilmore is not creditied with any input, it was all Rogers work. The story goes that Gilmore tried to stop the publication of the wall so he could make adjustments to some of the tracks so as to be creditied with its creation.

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All those great albums listed at the beginning of the article were, in a large part, written and created by Roger Waters. IMO Pink Floyd ended a couple of decades ago when he left the band.

The post Waters albums, were, again IMO of course, just hollow, a bit empty and boring attempts to keep the fame and cash flow alive.

The Floyd ended with Sid. Then after a while we got a new Pink Floyd with Waters and Gilmore.

I agree that it looks like it was all Roger Waters, but what has he done after leaving that compares to the things he did back then?

I think all the great stuff was made by Roger Waters and David Gilmore together and that the rest of the band including the sound engineers had a major part in creating all that great music. I really think R.W. and D.G. where better together then that they have been on their own. Just an opinion. wink.png

Again, I am kind of a Roger Waters fanboy, but in saying that I found that his albums Radio K.A.O.S and Amused to Death are equal to most of his Pink Floyd related stuff.

Amused to Death was very good, I also thought Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking was great.

• Like 1

Black Dog is probably the band's most underrated song. Rock on, Bonzo!

I think you mean the song Dogs by Pink Floyd.

Led Zeppelin did Black Dog.

Yes.

And John Bonham's nick name was Bonzo...

thumbsup.gif

Don't you mean Nick Manson's nickname was Bonzo!giggle.gif

I think he meant what he wrote.

Tull's Locomotive Breath & Savoy Brown's Hellbound Train just sprung into my mind along with....

Savoy Brown! Still gets the award for Most Obnoxious Lead Singer of All Time. What ever became of their promising young guitarist?

"See Emily Play" is part of the soundtrack of my teenage years, if not for the nascent FM stations at the time I'd have never heard it.

Waters has been mouthing off about Israel, I'm expecting something to happen that will shut him up.

Tull's Locomotive Breath & Savoy Brown's Hellbound Train just sprung into my mind along with....

Savoy Brown! Still gets the award for Most Obnoxious Lead Singer of All Time. What ever became of their promising young guitarist?

"See Emily Play" is part of the soundtrack of my teenage years, if not for the nascent FM stations at the time I'd have never heard it.

Waters has been mouthing off about Israel, I'm expecting something to happen that will shut him up.

I can't really answer your question regarding the guitarist because they changed members very often!

However...us geezers gotta stick together so I scarfed up a wiki link that has members & dates...hope

it helps! Kim Simmonds is still alive & kicking though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savoy_Brown

You have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to the new album, fortunately I haven't been melancholy, depressed or suicidal lately. Good elevator music though... Seriously if it wasn't for the Floyd name, this would go nowhere. Yeah I know, opinions are like....

Oz

Having listened to the whole album last night, and I do like Pink Floyd, (I the prefer the period "Dark Side through to the "Final Cut" as being their best work) not going to disagree with you

as a whole the album itself lacks a "beginning middle and end" which makes sense as one suspects most of these tracks were written as instrumental interludes between other songs, and for that reason most of the tracks also are missing a "beginning", "middle" and "end" as well, the first track is a "classic" PF intro into to an album, but after that it seems to lose its way.

Yes lots of "references" to other more famous PF tracks in this album, without knowing who it was, you would recognize it as being the "PF sound"

I know PF where never ones for writing a song along the "classic" lines of intro - verse - bridge - verse - outro, but all the tracks are "missing something"

The "strongest" track for me is final song "Nevana" but even that needed lyrics over it, I guess they never used this track because, when you hear it, its obvious the inspiration for this track is the "Nile Song"

I think this album is for the die hard PF fans only...for me, would listen to it as background music only

Edited by Soutpeel

I never get sick of listening to Animals pure genius or just a couple guys belting out their feelings?

Good album, if you like this see if you can find the alternate version of pigs on the wing on line parts 1 & 2 , originally 1 song with a great Snowy white guitar solo between, on the final version guitar solo was cut out and the song split into 2 to serve as a "beginning" and "end" of the album

As with many great bands, performers and artists, The Floyd have been through many changes.

I was lucky enough to grow up with Piper at the Gates of Dawn. what an incredible, eclectic array of sounds it was and still is. Syd at his most whimsical and creative.

Then they set the controls for the heart of the sun, psychedelic music, but also beautiful tunes such as below:

Then it all came together on Dark Side of the Moon,, I remember walking through a department store in Bristol and hearing it over the loudspeakers,I couldn't believe it, an underground band had gone mainstream! But of course it was the early 70s and the wholesale commercialization of rock had begun, sadly.

Roger took over and whilst the tunes were wonderful, the theme was alienation and depression, what had happened to the hippy sense of laughter and fun?

But all the time there was the magnificent guitar of Dave Gilmour, soaring, roaring and hurtling here and there: to this day I have yet to hear him play a bum note,

( does anyone have an example?)

I think there are 3 geniuses present in Pink Floyd, Syd Barrett with his esoteric tunes, Roger Waters with his memorable melodies and thoughtful lyrics, and Dave Gilmour with that wonderful guitar sound, evoking all kinds of emotions from sadness to anger.

Different artists with different flavours, the synergy over the years has produced something unique.

God bless the Floyd.

For me the Syd years were a bit too 'out there' for me (I've got a bike.... kinda mad songs) maybe they was right at the time. I think around echoes was the start of the Floyd sound, that still carries through today, with or without waters, they still do have a unique sound.

Live in Pompeii was a great show.

I saw the division bell tour in Rotterdam in 94', i was 14 and totally smashed with all the legally available stuff you can find in Holland.....unbelievable show, as many have said, the best concert I have seen (by chance if anyone knows of a video from the rotterdam shows I'd be very happy?? They played a different setlist to the sold DVD from Earls court.

I agree, Gilmour is my guitar here, but as for bum notes, here's plenty (alright, it was basically a studio Jam) but I enjoyed the version anyway:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qdHdHgO7wws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tried to embed this vid, how to do it>>>??

Edited by jonw8uk

Pink Floyd without Roger Waters is just not the same. Like the Rolling Stones would not be the Rolling Stones without both Mick and Keith, or the Beatles without both Paul and John. I love Roger Waters. I love David Gilmour. By themselves, they are good. Together the total was greater than the sumo f the parts.

And Roger Waters' Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking (His first solo album after leaving Pink Floyd) was one of the greatest albums I have ever heard. (Roger Waters got Clapton to replace Gilmour). The entire album was recorded to actual time. Beautiful concept. I always thought that had it actually been recorded by Pink Floyd, instead of Roger Waters bringing on hired guns, it would have been Pink Floyd's greatest album and would have eclipsed the Wall and Dark Side of the Moon.

And yes, I know that Roger Waters could be an ass. Roger Waters has acknowledged being an ass (and being an ass to Gilmour) while in Pink Floyd. But still...not the same without him.

• Like 2

I stopped appreciating them as soon as I stopped doing large amounts of drugs and that was in the early 70s.

So true!

Gladly, i found music catering to adults.

Those of us who truly love, live and breathe rock and roll and the blues have never outgrown it and as for me personally, I know I never will.

Whether it is a song off of Meddle, Let it Bleed, Taj Mahal's The Natural Blues, the Allman Bros' Live at the Fillmore, the Doors, almost anything by Dylan or the Boss - the list goes on and on and on, the music still moves me, I can feel it in my bones, and I hope to be listening to my favorites on my deathbed and am working on a funeral service song list and it will rock!

Music catering to adults - yeah right LOL.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 1

I will get slagged of here, never mind.

Musically live, one of the most boring concerts I have ever attended in my life.

When was the last time anyone ever heard PF jam?

The only one I can think of is a song called Drift Away Blues in Montreal after the infamous spitting incident.

Yes as a spectacular sound and light experience, its awesome, musically, boring, just stay home home and listen to the albums, they all sound the same.

Boston Gardens '75 is probably the last decent Floyd concert, unheard of versions of Raving & Drooling, and You Gotta Be Crazy, that would later appear on their best album, Animals.

Listen to the album, Smokin Blues, 1970, for proper Floyd.

Listen to Japan tour '72 for a proper version of DSOTM, with the spoken version of The Lords prayer instead of Great Gig In The Sky.

Colmar '74 for the 30 minute version of SOYCD is worth tracking down, live at the Beeb 70 & 71 is well worth a download, make sure to get the John Pell intro.

Seen this band many times, Hawkwind era Bob Calvert, much better.

This is fantastic. Judging by what ive heard so far of it id advise all Floyd fans to prepare to have the years roll back and memories flood in.

The day i get my hands on this album I will be spending the first full hearing with just me and The Floyd at a very unsociable sound level. biggrin.png

RIP Rick this is a wonderful tribute to a great Drummer.

Pink Floyd regardless of what era are simply legendary and live Earls Court the Wall was a moment to behold, repeated on the Division Bell tour sadly minus Waters but still epic.

I stopped appreciating them as soon as I stopped doing large amounts of drugs and that was in the early 70s.

So true!

Gladly, i found music catering to adults.

...Music catering to adults - yeah right LOL.
SpokaneAl,

you should widen your horizon...

Perhaps you would be kind enough to provide some examples of "music catering to adults" that this sheltered AC/DC loving, mid 60 year old, grey haired human is missing. Edited by SpokaneAl

This is fantastic. Judging by what ive heard so far of it id advise all Floyd fans to prepare to have the years roll back and memories flood in.

The day i get my hands on this album I will be spending the first full hearing with just me and The Floyd at a very unsociable sound level. biggrin.png

RIP Rick this is a wonderful tribute to a great Drummer.

Pink Floyd regardless of what era are simply legendary and live Earls Court the Wall was a moment to behold, repeated on the Division Bell tour sadly minus Waters but still epic.

The Endless River IS a great album. BTW....Rick Wright was Floyds keyboard virtuoso. Nick Mason is the drumer

& still very much alive.

Edited by sunshine51

Rolling Stone has a few good writeups on The Endless River. Be sure to check out the sidebars to the right...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/pink-floyd-the-endless-river-20141107

Just to roll back the years a fair bit.....if you have 25 minutes & 46 seconds to spare...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zACEJdFOpA

• Like 1

Perhaps you would be kind enough to provide some examples of "music catering to adults" that this sheltered AC/DC loving, mid 60 year old, grey haired human is missing.

Dont know where to start... maybe you could give all composers a try who are dead for 70 years and more and still interpreted/played till today on instruments who dont need to be electrical amplified.

YouTube is a great source for that. Just one example from millions:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdsyNwUoON0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Perhaps you would be kind enough to provide some examples of "music catering to adults" that this sheltered AC/DC loving, mid 60 year old, grey haired human is missing.

Dont know where to start... maybe you could give all composers a try who are dead for 70 years and more and still interpreted/played till today on instruments who dont need to be electrical amplified.

YouTube is a great source for that. Just one example from millions:

Aahhh. Nothing wrong with classical music, jazz, nor country, nor any other genre. However to imply that one grows up and away from rock and roll implies, to me at least, that one never really did enjoy it much, especially if drugs were necessary.

For what it is worth. They came from a time when everyone was before their time. Can anyone recall the 14 minute "Innagaddadevida" by Iron Butterfly? Different genre but same fortitude. Or closer to home Jethro Tull and "Broadsword".

Now I know why I feel sorry for today's youth.

We ate their breakfast, lunch and dinner.

They've got nothing left.

For what it is worth. They came from a time when everyone was before their time. Can anyone recall the 14 minute "Innagaddadevida" by Iron Butterfly? Different genre but same fortitude. Or closer to home Jethro Tull and "Broadsword".

Now I know why I feel sorry for today's youth.

We ate their breakfast, lunch and dinner.

They've got nothing left.

Not to be nitpicking but In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was actually 17 minutes and five seconds in length on the original album.

Aahhh. Nothing wrong with classical music, jazz, nor country, nor any other genre. However to imply that one grows up and away from rock and roll implies, to me at least, that one never really did enjoy it much, especially if drugs were necessary.

Nothing wrong with classical music??? It's bloody terrible!

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with classical music??? It's bloody terrible!

Well all one can say then is your level of musical appreciation is still very immature then and I am saying this as someone who enjoys everything from from AC/DC to ZZ top and all the letters in between, good music is good music irrespective of the genre,

Granted I don't like all classical music, I don't like all opera, but there are some I do really enjoy, for example someone must be a complete heathen or deaf if you don't appreciate musically something like say Nesum Dorma, for example, even if you don't like opera

By the same token I don't like everything PF have put out over the years either or AC/DC but that doesn't make them terrible

Don't forget when a lot of classical music was written, these where the rock stars of day, and the likes of Mozart would have been the Jimmi Hendrix of the day