Fried Rice

mrbojangles

Mrs BoJ had a bash at making Fried Rice the other day, she is a great cook but she's never made fried rice, only normal or sticky.

It turned out to be a squelchy mess. Anyone got any tips?

Someone told me yesterday that they boil the rice but don't fully cook it. They then rinse it in cold water and put it in the fridge (this helps to keep it seperated apparently). Then get the Wok really hot and throw it in with whatever else you want.

So, how do you cook yours :o

Yeah, cold rice from the day before or, rinsed in cold water sometimes does.

Hot wok, (smoking) then throw in a beaten egg, keep moving/separating while it stiffens, then the rice.

I always use ground nut oil with a little spot of sesame oil to your taste.

Once I mastered this way, anything you want (within reason) will go into it and, tastes better and cleaner than your local Chinese.

redrus

*This may be a daft question but is it OK to use Rice from the day before? Someone (probably knowing how useless i am at cooking) told me not to eat old rice blink.gif

* I never had a problem with this, prob to do with the really hot oil.

Edited by redrus

The problem that I have always had was cooking the rice itself...wot a palav-our.

Finally solved the burnt offerings when I bought my first rice cooker and since then no bother...hot.smooth and fluffy...

...as above... to do fried kao...day old -ok...hot oil ....wack in an egg (eFR)maybe some onions -spring or otherwise/peppers...touch of corri/cayenne/nam pla/soi sauce and flame it ......when it sizzles quick wrist movement ..and toss it onto a plate..... :o

I cook the onion, garlic and chicken before I start. Make wok hot, some oil, then goes in the egg, stir, quickly add the chicken, garlic, onion, veggies, soi sauce. I always add chilies to my fried rice, but don't see anyone do this. I do the same to fried noodles as well, obviously changing the rice for noodles, egg noodles that is. hmm, i'm getting hungry!

There have been threads on day old rice and the ptential dangers posted before (search for these if you like).

However, in a nut shell, cook rice properly, drain properly, cool at room temp, store in a large container so that the rice is not packed too deep, when properly cold, refrigerate.

You will not have any probs.

There have been threads on day old rice and the ptential dangers posted before (search for these if you like).

However, in a nut shell, cook rice properly, drain properly, cool at room temp, store in a large container so that the rice is not packed too deep, when properly cold, refrigerate.

Cheers Suega. :o

BTW. We tried the above methods last night. Worked a treat. Aroi mak mak :D

Cheers Suega. :o

BTW. We tried the above methods last night. Worked a treat. Aroi mak mak :D

I'm glad it worked. Fried rice is the ultimate in fast food, except it's tasty and good for you!

Hey

How ironic, I have just cooked dinner (Fried Rice, Butterfly Shrimp, Mushrooms and Traffic Light Peppers). I always use 1 day old rice, which I don't fully boil, wash/drain and place in the refrigerator overnight. With a dash of Soy Sauce in the Wok, it always tastes excellent and nice consistency.

One of the keys to success, is definately a very hot Wok.

Just FYI for readers in the USA I have bought many food items from Mail Order Thai Produce Good service and reasonable prices.

Back to my dinner and a further look through the forum.

Kind regards

Peter

Cheers Everyone,

As to the rice we use a rice cooker and it is great,but then again we eat rice with almost every meal.The left over rice we just leave in the cooker until the next day when we will use it.Never any problem with that.If we are going to make khao phad (fried rice) we make the rice the day before and place in the refrigerator.When we use it the next day for khao phad we take it directly from the "frige" and cook it while it is cold.The trick is to use" day old and cold".Use a combination of Healthy Boy Brand thin soy sauce and Gold Mountain Brand soya sauce.This will give you a balanced flavor with little salty taste.It is "up to you"what you would like for the veg or meat.But cook them alone before adding the "day old and cold".Use an almost burning temperture and cook fast.Add bean sprouts,green onions and cilantro after removing from the heat otherwise they will cook to much,if you use them.Enjoy :o

You guys forgott one thing.....add a little msg - about half a teaspoon. It really does make a difference.

sarcastic??

just plain rice and seeing my face ...jummier :o:D

seriously i dont think MSG makes food jummier ..

when i cook , i dont add MSG...It isn't necessary ... Some people use sugar instead (ohh yahh farang guys think it's silly for adding sugar in food)

PS. or maybe i have got enough MSG from fish sauce,soya sauce ... :D

Edited by BambinA

You guys forgott one thing.....add a little msg - about half a teaspoon. It really does make a difference.

sarcastic??

when i cook , i dont add MSG...It isn't necessary ... Some people use sugar instead (ohh yahh farang guys think it's silly for adding sugar in food)

I agree, never add MSG, it's poisonous!

Where did you get that? I mean that it's poisonus..... I remember when I was in Thailand some westerner not wanting food with msg in it. I didn't know why. Anway, I recently read that it isn't harmful. And it does add to the dish or make it jummier as was said. I add a little sugar too....

Where did you get that? I mean that it's poisonus..... I remember when I was in Thailand some westerner not wanting food with msg in it. I didn't know why. Anway, I recently read that it isn't harmful. And it does add to the dish or make it jummier as was said. I add a little sugar too....

Yeah, i've never heard that before. My Mrs puts the stuff in everything and fish / squid / oyster and whatever else sauce. Surely they wouldn't sell it in the UK, like Wing Yip if it was poisonous :o

P.S. Had Fried Rice again last night, yummie. She's getting better at it all the time. And before anybody slags me off for being a chauvenist, my mrs has tasted my cooking and i have been given a ten year restraining order from going within 10 feet of the kitchen. Unless for emergency coffee :D:D

MSG is a flavour enhancer, like salt I suppose but, stronger. Asians seem to slap it in anything and everything though. Like salt, too much makes the taste bad and is not good for you.

Too much MSG makes you well thirsty too, I watch out for this in any restaurant as my first experience of it was in Cyprus. Around 5 pints of Coke, my stomach was pretty <deleted>, the ex wasn't best pleased either.... :o

redrus

Edited by redrus

MSG is a flavour enhancer, like salt I suppose but, stronger. Asians seem to slap it in anything and everything though. Like salt, too much makes the taste bad and is not good for you.

Too much MSG makes you well thirsty too, I watch out for this in any restaurant as my first experience of it was in Cyprus. Around 5 pints of Coke, my stomach was pretty <deleted>, the ex wasn't best pleased either.... :o

redrus

The moral of the story is....don't drink 5 pints of coke in one sitting! :D

Edited by Hadrian1

Sorry, I meant poisonous metaphorically. MSG is just like salt, yes, it makes you well thirsty and if you have alcohol with your meal you increase the chances of a hangover. I always have an adverse reaction to it. There was a thread discussing it some time back, search for it.

See what Bambi says above, not all Asians use it. Thai food uses tasty ingredients, many of which are flavour enhancers - fish sauce, galangal, garlic, etc, so MSG IMHO is never needed.

redrus

The moral of the story is....don't drink 5 pints of coke in one sitting! :D

I didn't have a choice, such was the amount of MSG used.... :D

Sorry, I meant poisonous metaphorically. MSG is just like salt, yes, it makes you well thirsty and if you have alcohol with your meal you increase the chances of a hangover. I always have an adverse reaction to it. There was a thread discussing it some time back, search for it.

See what Bambi says above, not all Asians use it. Thai food uses tasty ingredients, many of which are flavour enhancers - fish sauce, galangal, garlic, etc, so MSG IMHO is never needed.

:D:D:D Wahey........ :D

redrus

sarcastic??

Bloody oath! half or a teaspoon of sugar makes all the difference. :D

Thai cooking uses a balance of flavors, and adding a little bit of sugar seems to bring out the other flavors. Sugar also cuts acidity, in things like Som Tom that use lime juice. I always use a bit of sugar -a tablespoon or two to a pot- in my chili con carne to bring out the flavors and to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.

My favorite kind of fried rice is not Thai but Filipino, and is called Garlic fried rice. Lots of garlic and onions, no egg or meat in the fried rice. Served with a couple of eggs and fried Thai sausage slices it makes an aroi maak semi-Western, semi-Asian breakfast.

Thai cooking uses a balance of flavors, and adding a little bit of sugar seems to bring out the other flavors. Sugar also cuts acidity, in things like Som Tom that use lime juice. I always use a bit of sugar -a tablespoon or two to a pot- in my chili con carne to bring out the flavors and to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.

My favorite kind of fried rice is not Thai but Filipino, and is called Garlic fried rice. Lots of garlic and onions, no egg or meat in the fried rice. Served with a couple of eggs and fried Thai sausage slices it makes an aroi maak semi-Western, semi-Asian breakfast.

How about writing the recipe down? A slight digression. You mentioned Chili Con Carne. I found a recipee which says to put some Cocoa powder into it. It's the best Chilli I have ever made and I have tried quite a few.......

• 2 months later...

:o I like to start my fried rice with a little chopped bacon. when it's fried but not crisp, I'll add my garlic and onion and chicken. Right before the chicken is done I'll splash it all with fish sauce, and finish cooking the chicken. Then add rice and fry. I like mine dressed with lime juice, fish sauce garlic and thai hot pepper mixed together. Fried egg strips are good in there to.

Take care

Chung

sarcastic??

I agree, never add MSG, it's poisonous!

As Bambi points out, pretty much all sauces commonly used in cooking Thai food contain monosodiumglutamate - as does instant noodle flavouring and potato crisps. The substance code is E621.

Glutamate, which is what gives MSG its 'unami' flavour occurs naturally in your body - it is a non-essential amino acid, i.e. a building block of protein ('non-essential' means the body can produce it by itself), and is produced when digesting various foods - meat, fish, vegetables or grain products in the protein-bound form and in tomato, milk, potato, soy sauce, as well as many kinds of cheese in the free form.

Tests have shown that no matter how much glutamate you consume, only about 4% is absorbed by the body - the rest is used by the intenstines as part of the digestion process.

No clinical studies have been able to establish a connection between MSG and headaches, dizziness and other neurological problems - these were declared to occur due to the increase of sodium and the lack of enough moisture in the body (‘hangover effect'). No clear scientific relation with the intake of MSG and symptoms could be established.

http://www.food-info.net/uk/intol/msg.htm