Song Taew question

JulieM

traffic is getting so congested nowdays and ive heard that bus drivers are asking for more money if they get stuck in traffic

Maybe they should lend their support to other forms of public transportation at the next City meeting. That may help clear the traffic a bit.

how easy is it to get transport back from festival,guess thats another proplem???? traffic is getting so congested nowdays and ive heard that bus drivers are asking for more money if they get stuck in traffic,i know it took me nearly 3hours the other day just going to 41 for new sticker for car then down town by holiday inn,

to get car registered,

It's only 30 minutes to walk, why would you wait 3 hours?

how easy is it to get transport back from festival,guess thats another proplem???? traffic is getting so congested nowdays and ive heard that bus drivers are asking for more money if they get stuck in traffic,i know it took me nearly 3hours the other day just going to 41 for new sticker for car then down town by holiday inn,

to get car registered,

Well, keep in mind that Central Festival is also on the route for out-of-town yellow Songthaews to Doi Saket and back. (And San Sai / Mae Jo too I think). So that's another affordable option to get there and back for under 20 baht.

(The original poster was coming from Nimmanhaeming / Maya, so then a red city songthaew makes the most sense, as opposed to going into town to the big market area and then getting a Doi Saket bound one.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Another option would be to watch Interstellar at Maya, SF Cinema and safe the costs for the songtaew...

That's what I did on Sunday. I paid 100 B to see it at the Maya. The movie was a big yawn for me. Seeing it in Imax wouldn't have made it any better. I should have listened to the The Wall Street Journal, they rated it 40% on Metacritic..."The last thing I expected was a space adventure burdened by turgid discussions of abstruse physics, a wavering tone, visual effects of variable quality..."

Yeah it really has some snotty reviews. As much as I like Mathew M. ( and he is suppose to be excellent in this roll) , the rest of the flick sounds like a canidate for a rotten tomatoe!

to get car registered,

It's only 30 minutes to walk, why would you wait 3 hours?

3o minutes to walk when the journey in my car took hours,your a very funny man or a bit deluded. or read my post wrong,walk thought that was banned out here,i very rarely walk any were.

There are song taeows that go to San Sai and pass right by Central Festival, check it out but I think they are green ones and the total fare to San Sai is less than 20 baht.

You are not going to find one near the Maya so you will need to take a red one to the station of the green ones, 20 baht.

Yes, they are the green trucks. There are two green truck routes. The city end of the routes is Wororot Market. Both routes go by Central Festival, but then one goes out the old San Sai Road to San Sai and the other goes along the Superhighway to Mae Jo Road nd on to Mae Jo. It goes past Mee Chok junction.

Edited by Mapguy

There are song taeows that go to San Sai and pass right by Central Festival, check it out but I think they are green ones and the total fare to San Sai is less than 20 baht.

You are not going to find one near the Maya so you will need to take a red one to the station of the green ones, 20 baht.

Yes, they are the green trucks. There are two green truck routes. The city end of the routes is Wororot Market. Both routes go by Central Festival, but then one goes out the old San Sai Road to San Sai and the other goes along the Superhighway to Mae Jo Road nd on to Mae Jo. It goes past Mee Chok junction.

Exactly like it used to be. How do you happen to know this Mr Mapguy? Did you ever ride either one? Is it still less than 20 Baht to Mae Joe? I used to go 8 clicks past MJ for 17 B.

Another option would be to watch Interstellar at Maya, SF Cinema and safe the costs for the songtaew...

That's what I did on Sunday. I paid 100 B to see it at the Maya. The movie was a big yawn for me. Seeing it in Imax wouldn't have made it any better. I should have listened to the The Wall Street Journal, they rated it 40% on Metacritic..."The last thing I expected was a space adventure burdened by turgid discussions of abstruse physics, a wavering tone, visual effects of variable quality..."

Yeah it really has some snotty reviews. As much as I like Mathew M. ( and he is suppose to be excellent in this roll) , the rest of the flick sounds like a canidate for a rotten tomatoe!

The first 1.5 hours were very enjoyable.

I am the OP. 83% of the audience like "Interstellar" and the average rating is 4.3/5.0 on Rotten Tomatoes. That's pretty good. But, considering so many of you did not enjoy it, I will skip the song taew ride and see it non-IMAX at Maya.

Odd, I started this thread looking for transportation advice and it turns out I got movie-going advice : )

• Like 1

That makes sense to me. Crossing over to Maya would seem better to me since the song taew (for whatever reason) has committed to the superhighway rather than going into town.

In past song taew threads it has been suggested that price should not be discussed. But I guess Central Festival is one of those locations where you need to talk price. Feel free to to let me know if you disagree.

And yes, I am going alone and am not Thai. I want to see 'Interstellar' in IMAX thus the reason for the trip.

I see what you mean. Good strategy if you're near to the intersection anyway.

Since the driver would be committed to the superhighway at that point, arguably there's no need to negotiate a fare, especially if there are already other people in the cab.

In the above scenario, if the driver asked for more, I think ฿40 would be fair enough.

100+bht, songtaws don't generally travel the superhighway.

40bht if you go into town, 20 from Huay Keow Rd to moat, 20 from moat past bus station.

PS

As another poster stated, movie is sh_it.

" PS As another poster stated, movie is sh_it."

thanks i thought that just based on reading the reviews

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

I am the OP. 83% of the audience like "Interstellar" and the average rating is 4.3/5.0 on Rotten Tomatoes. That's pretty good. But, considering so many of you did not enjoy it, I will skip the song taew ride and see it non-IMAX at Maya.

Odd, I started this thread looking for transportation advice and it turns out I got movie-going advice : )

The quantum physics in that movie will probably be easier to decipher than Chiang Mai's public transportation system.

to get car registered,

Well, keep in mind that Central Festival is also on the route for out-of-town yellow Songthaews to Doi Saket and back. (And San Sai / Mae Jo too I think). So that's another affordable option to get there and back for under 20 baht.

(The original poster was coming from Nimmanhaeming / Maya, so then a red city songthaew makes the most sense, as opposed to going into town to the big market area and then getting a Doi Saket bound one.)

Yes. See another post. They are the green trucks that begin at Wararot.

Being a big fan of Star Trek: Deep Space 9 I already know all about wormholes. But something tells me I am going to be a bit disappointed with this film. Nevertheless, I am going to give it a try.

In my opinion being a big fan of star trek and deep space 9 you are going to be hugely disappointed. Not even close.

Edit

I Max could not have helped it any. It was not a movie that 3 D would help out with either.

Edited by northernjohn

The quantum physics in that movie will probably be easier to decipher than Chiang Mai's public transportation system.

What do movies have to do with anything on this thread ?

Here is a warning! If you are like so many members, I suspect, of the Chiang Mai Expats CLub, then you will not appreciate what I have to say.

I disagree that public transportation in Chiang Mai is bad. The song taew system is very effective and efficient for transportation. And I will add a little about other aspects of transportation available to all. How many have explored the bus system that serves the area? Do you even know what those buses look like and where to catch one in the city? If you argue about 10 bhat here and 20 bhat there just to get around the central city, then you haven't looked at all.

Otherwise, get a tuk tuk, book a tuk tuk. Get a taxi, book a taxi. Many will give you a card to give you service, even at 4AM. (But don't complain if you get charged a little extra at that hour!)

It is true that you have to learn some song taew routes that start in (and return to) the city, but the route termini only are generally posted. Do a search! And you have to ride to find if you are well served or not en route. You do not have to learn every route. Common sense is simply to go to Wararot Market (for a starter) to begin to learn. At any rate, learn to ride the routes that serve where you live and generally want to go. (And, yes, learning some elementary Thai helps a lot!) This is NOT London, or Sydney, or New York, et cetera, where --- anyway --- you can get limo service for a one-trip price that would make a song taew driver rich for a month!)

Red trucks will also take you to other major terminals of trucks (of various colors) in the city. Otherwise, of course, basically (but not exclusively) song taew serve muang (basically the central city) very well (except for the diesel fumes which are noxious!).

If you enjoy living in Chiang Mai, just go exploring. It is VERY inexpensive, and you will go to some interesting places and meet interesting people --- if you smile! Just pay your 20 bhat and smile! If you care to spend a bit more, you can go all the way to Fang or to San Patong, but that could make a long (even very long) day!

Otherwise, I would say about such discussions that appear on TV Chiang Mai about 20 bhat here or 40 bhat there that a different perspective is needed by some people. If you do not have enough cash to live without worrying about that difference, you really should learn how Thais who have meager resources get around. That is cheap to do and the experience is a lot more life-fulfilling than paying a fee to an internet provider and posting on ThaiVisa.

Edited by Mapguy

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That makes sense to me. Crossing over to Maya would seem better to me since the song taew (for whatever reason) has committed to the superhighway rather than going into town.

In past song taew threads it has been suggested that price should not be discussed. But I guess Central Festival is one of those locations where you need to talk price. Feel free to to let me know if you disagree.

And yes, I am going alone and am not Thai. I want to see 'Interstellar' in IMAX thus the reason for the trip.

Since the driver would be committed to the superhighway at that point, arguably there's no need to negotiate a fare, especially if there are already other people in the cab.

In the above scenario, if the driver asked for more, I think ฿40 would be fair enough.

Good heavens.. I don't even know where to start in sight of this mountain of cluelessness, trolling, nastyness and misinformation.

The most sensible information actually came from the OP.. go figure.

* Yes if I was already at Rincome intersection I would cross over to Maya precisely for the reason that the OP stated: the vehicle will already have committed to the Superhighway and be more inclined to just keep going to Festival. (Just not any Songthaews waiting at Maya of course; get a passing one.)

* How much.. driver may ask for a bit more but most definitely not 100 Baht. I can see 30 or 40 if the driver brings it up. If not then I might in this case just confirm it's 20 because it's an unusual route. For more typical routes around town I would not confirm the price as that invites a discussion on price where none is needed. In this case though I might stick two fingers in the air and suggest 20, but will readily agree to 30 or 40.

Last Saturday I took a red songthaew to Thapae Gate all the way from the Outer Ring. Confirmed 20 baht with the driver, who asked for 30, which was fine by me and in the end didn't bother with change for the 40 baht I handed him.

The higher amounts in the 150-200 baht range happen very late at night, or for truly far/unusual routes. For example I paid 200 baht at 2am going from nearish to Thapae Gate to a bit past the Outer Ring. (Wanted to experiment with being driven home as opposed to driving after a few too many drinks, also given the general holiday traffic. 200 is still a bit high; in Bangkok a meter taxi for the same distance (counting the distance double as in Chiang Mai there is no chance of getting a ride back into town) the fare would be 133 baht.

If I'm included among those you consider "clueless" I'll call attention to the fact that I told her the same thing you did--before you did--that 40 baht would be more than enough, if she was asked for more at all. Once, that is, she clarified where she was getting picked up from.

Edited by aTomsLife

It seems a lot of people are paying more than necessary and don't even know it.

Paying more than necessary is how drivers could be conditioned to ask for more.

Everyone knows if they're paying more than 20 baht they're paying more than the locals do.

But when it's 30+ in the shade and you've already been refused by three drivers for trying to pay the local fare, the extra dollar or two starts to seem inconsequential.

• Like 1

Everyone knows if they're paying more than 20 baht they're paying more than the locals do.

But when it's 30+ in the shade and you've already been refused by three drivers for trying to pay the local fare, the extra dollar or two starts to seem inconsequential.

10 baht is not even close to a dollar much less two.wai.gif

10 baht is not even close to a dollar much less two.wai.gif

Read it again.

"30+" refers to the temperature.

Why would I mean 30+ (baht) in the shade? blink.png

Edited by aTomsLife

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good heavens.. I don't even know where to start in sight of this mountain of cluelessness, trolling, nastyness and misinformation.

The most sensible information actually came from the OP.. go figure.

* Yes if I was already at Rincome intersection I would cross over to Maya precisely for the reason that the OP stated: the vehicle will already have committed to the Superhighway and be more inclined to just keep going to Festival. (Just not any Songthaews waiting at Maya of course; get a passing one.)

* How much.. driver may ask for a bit more but most definitely not 100 Baht. I can see 30 or 40 if the driver brings it up. If not then I might in this case just confirm it's 20 because it's an unusual route. For more typical routes around town I would not confirm the price as that invites a discussion on price where none is needed. In this case though I might stick two fingers in the air and suggest 20, but will readily agree to 30 or 40.

Last Saturday I took a red songthaew to Thapae Gate all the way from the Outer Ring. Confirmed 20 baht with the driver, who asked for 30, which was fine by me and in the end didn't bother with change for the 40 baht I handed him.

The higher amounts in the 150-200 baht range happen very late at night, or for truly far/unusual routes. For example I paid 200 baht at 2am going from nearish to Thapae Gate to a bit past the Outer Ring. (Wanted to experiment with being driven home as opposed to driving after a few too many drinks, also given the general holiday traffic. 200 is still a bit high; in Bangkok a meter taxi for the same distance (counting the distance double as in Chiang Mai there is no chance of getting a ride back into town) the fare would be 133 baht.

If I'm included among those you consider "clueless" I'll call attention to the fact that I told her the same thing you did--before you did--that 40 baht would be more than enough, if she was asked for more at all. Once, that is, she clarified where she was getting picked up from.

Duly noted! :thumbsup: