Recommendations for Christmas Day

pmf113b

Hide Away restaurant off Hang Dong Rd do a 3 course traditional Christmas lunch for around 400 baht.

Pleasant garden atmosphere or aircon inside and nice staff.Have web site and fb

Prices the 5 * hotels charge are obscene or maybe the staff are on double time giggle.gif

Inexpensive, but good quality holiday meals

Bake and Bite.
The Garden (across from Inter Inn Guest House, between Thapae Road and Loi Kroh road)

The Pun Pun (Gonzo's meat eater's branch on river)

These are all good for Thanksgiving and Christmas and won't break the bank

Last year the Grandview switched the Master Chef a couple of days before Christmas - we were told. It was a huge disappointment. The chef who had been there for years did a fine job, I thought - at least for a hotel... We went Christmas Eve and it was awful. Salmon was frozen, turkey sat by the rear door with the cold wind blowing on it, etc. The food was terrible. When we left, most of the food was sitting there for hours, untouched. My kid ate about 2 bites of food for 500 Baht. We have not been back since.

Last year the Grandview switched the Master Chef a couple of days before Christmas - we were told. It was a huge disappointment. The chef who had been there for years did a fine job, I thought - at least for a hotel... We went Christmas Eve and it was awful. Salmon was frozen, turkey sat by the rear door with the cold wind blowing on it, etc. The food was terrible. When we left, most of the food was sitting there for hours, untouched. My kid ate about 2 bites of food for 500 Baht. We have not been back since.

I have been there several times in the last 4 years. They never seem to be the same some times good some times not so good. Also in my opinion a limited selection. Was there for the lunch one last week and it was good.

Does anyone know if Dukes or Holiday Inn is worth going to on Christmas Day.?

Any idea on prices??

Dukes usually has a bash. As much as I like Dave and all of his restaurants, I've never gone on holidays. Can anyone really eat that much food? I'm sure it's good but it's expensive and I seldom ever stuff myself anymore at holiday meals.

When I first arrived in Thailand I looked forward to going out for Christmas and other holiday meals. Over the years prices for special occasion meals has risen at a much faster pace than other meals, and when dinners at the four and five star hotels had risen to a price beyond 1000 baht a person (mainly because they have a captive audience and not because of a jump in costs of ingredients), I took action with my feet. I self cater my own dinners. I usually cook the turkey or order a ready made one from Rimping or Central Food Hall, make a couple of accompanying dishes, then ask participants to bring a side dish, wine and/or dessert. My housekeeper comes in and serves and cleans up. We all have had a marvellous time in the past, and I am planning to do it again this year.

Cost wise you can get a large uncooked Butterball Turkey for 155 baht at Makro, or almost double that for a cooked one at the supermarkets, and the cost is a couple of hundred baht per person with lots and lots of leftovers.

• Like 1

Hi All,
Sorry to hijack the thread the thread a little. I'm also looking for a place for Christmas day in chiang mai, but i'm looking for somewhere dog friendly. I don't mind if it's pricey, just somewhere with an outdoor area that allows dogs. I'll be driving up from Bangkok for the week and she's an emotional thing so tough to leave her alone in a strange house.

Many thanks in advance,

OB

I'm also looking for a place for Christmas day in chiang mai, but i'm looking for somewhere dog friendly. I don't mind if it's pricey, just somewhere with an outdoor area that allows dogs.

The Garden is inexpensive and good and has very nice garden area. The only possible problem is there is a small house on the property that has a dog that I have heard many times, but never seen. You would have to ask the owner if it is OK to bring a dog. The phone number is: 081 88 22 840 and they are asking for reservations at least 3 days in advance.

They are charging 410 baht for Thanksgiving for roast turkey, mashed potatoes, vegetables, a choice of 3 pies apple/pumpkin/strawberry and 3 different drinks coffee/tea/fruit juice. I'm guessing that Christmas will be much the same.

It is on Thapae Road soi 5, across from the Inter Inn guest house.

Hi All,

Sorry to hijack the thread the thread a little. I'm also looking for a place for Christmas day in chiang mai, but i'm looking for somewhere dog friendly. I don't mind if it's pricey, just somewhere with an outdoor area that allows dogs. I'll be driving up from Bangkok for the week and she's an emotional thing so tough to leave her alone in a strange house.

Many thanks in advance,

OB

Yummy Pizza

Hide Away restaurant off Hang Dong Rd do a 3 course traditional Christmas lunch for around 400 baht.

Prices the 5 * hotels charge are obscene or maybe the staff are on double time giggle.gif

I fell for this one two years ago and the Xmas lunch was a poor reflection of the real thing. On normal days i like the place, the people and the food but for Christmas dinner...no thanks.

Can't beat doing it yourself if you want the real thing.

I'm also looking for a place for Christmas day in chiang mai, but i'm looking for somewhere dog friendly. I don't mind if it's pricey, just somewhere with an outdoor area that allows dogs.

The Garden is inexpensive and good and has very nice garden area. The only possible problem is there is a small house on the property that has a dog that I have heard many times, but never seen. You would have to ask the owner if it is OK to bring a dog. The phone number is: 081 88 22 840 and they are asking for reservations at least 3 days in advance.

They are charging 410 baht for Thanksgiving for roast turkey, mashed potatoes, vegetables, a choice of 3 pies apple/pumpkin/strawberry and 3 different drinks coffee/tea/fruit juice. I'm guessing that Christmas will be much the same.

It is on Thapae Road soi 5, across from the Inter Inn guest house.

Thanks a lot

OB

I fell for this one two years ago and the Xmas lunch was a poor reflection of the real thing. On normal days i like the place, the people and the food but for Christmas dinner...no thanks.

Can't beat doing it yourself if you want the real thing.

Really, I had the baked ham option and it was easily the best I have had in CM.Yes doing it yourself is the best option but not when you are meeting up with a load friends ,lot of work for someone and all that washing up !

Some interesting ideas! i always enjoyed Christmas Day at The Olde Bell, Chicog -certainly not gourmet fare but non nonsense grub and a fun atmosphere - which is kind of what we're looking to replicate!

Shepsel: One of the reasons I'm looking for a nice place to go is that last year i cooked Christmas Dinner for my Thai family in Hang Dong. It cost a small fortune. 1,000 B (20 Quid, 30 bucks) is hardly a rip off for a Western Christmas Dinner - as I was in the business, I can assure you that costs of ingredients have skyrocketed in the past few years, as have labour costs.

I've been to the Hideaway and they do some good quality food. I can't imagine the atmosphere on Christmas Day is up to much though.

Yummy Pizza is a definite consideration - good food, nice atmosphere and Tony really makes the effort.

Thanks for the warning on dogs, UG. That counts The Garden out.

I would plump for Archers, but Beer wants something a bit more up market (Just as well if they've sold out already!) I'll certainly be popping in to enjoy a pint or twain with Mark over the festivities thoughใ

Any news from the hotels yet?

Thanks for the warning on dogs, UG. That counts The Garden out.

I asked about the dog today. It is always kept in the house during business hours. That is why I have never seen it.

Well that's what she said but does the meat loaf taste funny?

• Like 1

I suppose its too early for many places to have drawn up plans for Christmas, but when I had The Bell I used to have my Christmas plans in place by the end of September - and I bought the Paxo stuffing, bread sauce mix, cranberry sauce and the like back from UK in the Summer! Come on guys it''s a 'nice little earner' as Arthur Daley would say!

The last time I had Christmas at Le Meridien it was 700 baht and it was great. The next year they doubled it and I decided to go down market from then on. Bake and Bite is really excellent, but just a basic turkey meal with no Maine lobster or foie gras at around 400-500 baht.

I don't really care that much for the fancy stuff anyway, although I will try it if it is there. I don't blame the people who are willing to pay for a real feast once a year, but much more than 1,000 baht per person is not worth it to me.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Le Meridien is 2,100baht Christmas Eve dinner and brunch on 25th is 1,800. Menu for both is about 4' long but if you're after Alaska king crab and foie gras these only feature on 25th.

053 253 666.

Called them up this evening, they're sending us an email because they can't put 'beverage promotions' on the net due to this country's ridiculous alcohol laws.

Amazing that in mid November The Pub, O'Malley's, The Chedi, Holiday Inn, and a dozen other places we called tonight, have no idea what they will be doing in 7 weeks time!

re

Amazing that in mid November The Pub, O'Malley's, The Chedi, Holiday Inn, and a dozen other places we called tonight, have no idea what they will be doing in 7 weeks time!

in my experience with thais ( but i do tend to be down with the bottom feeders ) most of them dont know where they will be or what they will be doing in 7 days .... never mind 7 weeks

planing for next month , year or retirement .... equals zilch :(

dave2

post-42592-0-87174700-1415983386_thumb.j

• Like 1

re

re

in my experience with thais ( but i do tend to be down with the bottom feeders ) most of them dont know where they will be or what they will be doing in 7 days .... never mind 7 weeks

planing for next month , year or retirement .... equals zilch sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

dave2

Attached Thumbnails

Yes, the Thais do not seem to be big on planning

mesquite

Edited by mesquite