Australian re-united with lost wallet thanks to honest Pattaya residents

webfact

Australian re-united with lost wallet thanks to honest Pattaya residents

australia-4.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 43 year old Australian Fitness Instructor, breathed a sigh of relief on Monday after his lost wallet was found by two honest Thai Residents who, with the help of Pattaya Police, were able to present the wallet and its contents back to its rightful owner.

Khun Pimonrat aged 31 went to eat with her Boyfriend on Sunday Night opposite the Avenue Complex on Pattaya Second Road and noticed the wallet on the floor. She picked it up and found it was full of cash, totaling 20,500 Baht. Inside was an Australian Driving License in the name of Mr. Michael J Thornton.

On Monday she took the wallet to Pattaya Police Station who determined Mr. Thornton had already been to the station to report the item as missing.

Later on in the day Mr. Thornton, who has lived and worked in Pattaya for 13 years, was tracked down to his apartment in Soi 8 off Pattaya Second Road and the wallet and its contents were returned to him.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/154531/australian-re-united-with-lost-wallet-thanks-to-honest-pattaya-residents/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-11-11

Lately there have been too many acts of honesty by Thai people returning lost money and articles

to foreigners, so much so that I keep asking my self if Thai people actually developing some kind

of civic duties and Self-consciousness all of a sudden...

Lately there have been too many acts of honesty by Thai people returning lost money and articles

to foreigners, so much so that I keep asking my self if Thai people actually developing some kind

Even in Pattaya, some of the tourists are honest and would return a found wallet, Thais included of course.

This resident got lucky!

Yeah, bangkok taxi drivers, thai police, jet ski operators, Koh Tao village headman ... they're all so honest !!

I just think it's the way they are ....... wai2.gif

• Like 1

I keep asking my self if Thai people actually developing some kind

No, you're just learning of it.

But if you're going to lose something, you'll improve your chances of getting it back if you do it somewhere with slightly more traditional Thai values than Pattaya.

can never understand why, males carry wallets around full of money and cards, (is it a "macho") thing ? i know it is in the u.k. to "flash" your wallet to show off your cash, i just have a small zip up purse, that is zipped inside my trousers, with just enough money for that days or night entertainment, not rocket science, or maybe it is, and this guy lives here, so no excuse, as being a 2 week millionaire, one might expect this.

can never understand why, males carry wallets around full of money and cards, (is it a "macho") thing ? i know it is in the u.k. to "flash" your wallet to show off your cash, i just have a small zip up purse, that is zipped inside my trousers, with just enough money for that days or night entertainment, not rocket science, or maybe it is, and this guy lives here, so no excuse, as being a 2 week millionaire, one might expect this.

This is always good news, when honest folk hand over lost valuables to the police. I hope they received a reward.

I lost my wallet about three years ago in Bangkok. It had cash in it, plus other important personal items. But the biggest problem was the credit cards from three different banks. Cancelling those cards (late at night) was a nightmare. Getting lost card phone numbers was a real task. And who can remember account numbers even if you get hold of the bank. So now I only carry one card (Bangkok Bank) for a low value account, my medical insurance card, a card given to me from Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok and only enough cash for that day (certainly helps you keep to a budget if you want to).

But what I also did was make up two laminated cards (the size of credit cards), one with local and international emergency phone numbers for my banks, and the other my account numbers. I also have a simlar card with a copy of my ID page and retirement visa, from my passport. A copy of these cards, all my other credit cards and additional cash is left in my safe in my apartment. A certain peace of mind.

Why is this news?

Yes it's nice to hear such stories however I think "Why is this news?" is the perfect question.

My answer would be "Perception Management"

In the last 4 weeks we've had the Russian couple in the baht bus, the English bloke in the taxi, the Philippines' couple (? - leaving 2 mill in a taxi) and now the Aussie guy.

There seems to be a pattern of releasing one of these stories per week. I predicted it would be an American this week - so I was wrong.

I do not doubt the honesty of the lady at all, good for her. But, why is it news?. Well a regular diet of such stories will eventually have an effect on the reader.

One thing I do despair about though is the belief that any honest act should be financially rewarded at a set rate, of perhaps 10%. Sure, give a reward according to how you feel, but I simply cannot accept that honesty has it's price.

I remember about two years ago lending my car to a friend for two days as his had been in an accident and I didn't need mine specifically.

My Thai wife asked me 'how much is he paying you'. When I said nothing I could see she simply could not understand 'doing a favour' for nothing. She, in all other respects is very understanding etc.

Anyway, once again - good for the Aussie and the honest lady.