Can Thailand Tourism Rebound After Political Unrest?

webfact

Can Thailand Tourism Rebound After Political Unrest?
JAMES RUGGIA

THAILAND: -- With the demonstrations over in Thailand and the news cycle focused elsewhere, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is priming the tourism pump on several fronts. The Thai tourism juggernaut had surpassed 24 million arrivals in 2013 making it one of the UNWTO’s top 10 destinations.

Optimists were predicting 28 million arrivals. Then came the demonstrations and the subsequent suspension of democratically elected government. This year, international tourist arrivals to Thailand between January and August reached 15.7 million.

Tourism in the kingdom remains off track and the TAT is involved on several fronts trying to get it back on track by highlighting new destinations, new promotions and stimulating new niches.

On the promotional front a new TV ad campaign is running through November with smarTours in Los Angeles and Friendly Planet in New York. The 30 second commercials (78 in LA and 80 in NY on CBS and NBC) are designed to drive visitors to both the operators and a dedicated website (www.Na.TourismThailand.org).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsxA_ntIfpo

Culture, people and Thai life-style are being used to “paint a vivid picture of Thailand as a truly special place where travelers can experience first-hand our culture, beauty and, of course, the Thai people themselves,” said Srimala Waraphaskul, director of TAT’s New York office.”

Full story: http://www.travelpulse.com/news/destinations/can-thailand-tourism-rebound-after-political-unrest.html

-- TRAVEL PULSE 2014-11-11

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not only the state of emergency, now which westerner likes to be in a resort full of rude russians? I can't name any.

Also the scams should stop, the police has to be changed, the baht is too high, prices are too high, double pricing has to stop, number of roadaccidents has to decline, boats have to be more safe, slavery has to be stopped, poisoned food has to be stopped, farang wear bikini's thumbsup.gif , corruption has to be stopped.

Also there are many more holiday country's on the world who are cheaper and better.

And yet some of us choose to call this place home dispute all the negatives. With that said some of us have to base ourselves here for work. and would much prefer to be in our home country in a heart beat.

Anyway enough of this. I have to exchange some AUS$ with a nice man than said he would give me a great exchange rate so I can buy a seedless watermelon for 200 baht at the shops that I will ride my motorbike too without a helmet along the freeway. Of course if the police pull me over I will pay a 100 baht bribe and continue on my merry way.

Paradise!

Cya.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 2

The usual nonsense post by the Thai haters, high season is underway in Chiang Mai the little cafe I go to was packed yesterday by two different tour groups coming thru Chiang Mai, usually just locals and a few individual tourist. The walking traffic of tourist has also increased and the long stay hotel I stay at is full. It is filled by the folks who have been coming for years and who stay up to 3 months for the winter season and the short term stayers of a few weeks or days.

My obsevations are not scientific but based on my own experience from living in this neighborhood for 5 years, the shop owners are all happy with the uptick in visitors and business. Sorry to disappoint the haters but it does appear Thailand is doing ok or at least our neigborhood is.

Edited by moe666

From what I can see, Thailand is moving more and more towards discriminating against farang for anything except spending their money. I assume the intention is to encourage them to just come here on holiday then get out.

If they are not careful, they will p!ss off their regular visitors who might try somewhere else nearby and realise the government is much more friendly. However knowing the Thai logic and ability to plan ahead, they won't worry about that until the damage is done.

I honestly think that the only reason they want to stop scams is because of the bad image they have created. Other than that they are quite happy with them because the benefits go up the chain.

• Like 1

The usual nonsense post by the Thai haters, high season is underway in Chiang Mai the little cafe I go to was packed yesterday by two different tour groups coming thru Chiang Mai, usually just locals and a few individual tourist. The walking traffic of tourist has also increased and the long stay hotel I stay at is full. It is filled by the folks who have been coming for years and who stay up to 3 months for the winter season and the short term stayers of a few weeks or days.

My obsevations are not scientific but based on my own experience from living in this neighborhood for 5 years, the shop owners are all happy with the uptick in visitors and business. Sorry to disappoint the haters but it does appear Thailand is doing ok or at least our neigborhood is.

hugely parochial and unobservant opinions largely based on personal prejudice rather than any reasoned thought?

• Like 1

When will TAT ever understand tourists?

The drop in tourism is not based solely on the political situation. That is what made people examine Thailand more closely prior to planning a trip here.

Until the Thais offer real smiles instead of smiles for the money spent and until the police stop being gangsters and until Thailand offers cleaner,and safer travel destinations without exhorbant price increases for foreigners then tourism will slide even more.

They could also clean up the garbage and rats and stop dumping sewage into the Bay. Thailand really shows that it's 3rd world.

More like turd world

• Like 1

Some day in the near future Thailand will gain a negative reputation on the European caprid market, The Thai government will replace this cow milk with chinese caprids and it will be the end of it.

Governments in Asia would rather do without us big egos big mouths, heads full of tv crap; goverments in Europe would rather see us stay home on welfare and watch tv... And vote accordingly...

Expat quality of life in Thailand has been on tue decline for the past 10 years, and dropping.

And in a few years from now it will be about impossible to live in another country. Well all have to plug in our tv sets in an appartment somewhere and wait for life to stop.

It is not only the state of emergency, now which westerner likes to be in a resort full of rude russians? I can't name any.

Also the scams should stop, the police has to be changed, the baht is too high, prices are too high, double pricing has to stop, number of roadaccidents has to decline, boats have to be more safe, slavery has to be stopped, poisoned food has to be stopped, farang wear bikini's thumbsup.gif , corruption has to be stopped.

Also there are many more holiday country's on the world who are cheaper and better.

And yet some of us choose to call this place home dispute all the negatives. With that said some of us have to base ourselves here for work. and would much prefer to be in our home country in a heart beat.

Anyway enough of this. I have to exchange some AUS$ with a nice man than said he would give me a great exchange rate so I can buy a seedless watermelon for 200 baht at the shops that I will ride my motorbike too without a helmet along the freeway. Of course if the police pull me over I will pay a 100 baht bribe and continue on my merry way.

Paradise!

Cya.

carry on like that and your head may resemble a water melon, a smashed one

• Like 1

When will TAT ever understand tourists?

The drop in tourism is not based solely on the political situation. That is what made people examine Thailand more closely prior to planning a trip here.

Until the Thais offer real smiles instead of smiles for the money spent and until the police stop being gangsters and until Thailand offers cleaner,and safer travel destinations without exhorbant price increases for foreigners then tourism will slide even more.

They could also clean up the garbage and rats and stop dumping sewage into the Bay. Thailand really shows that it's 3rd world.

More like turd world

Are you Irish ?

• Like 1

TAT is involved on several fronts trying to get it back on track by highlighting new destinations, Vietnam, Laos Myanmar, & Cambodia just to help them out a bit people who want to visit Asia don’t necessarily need to come to Thailand for a safe secure with a trusted police force if you have a problem you can turn to for help not for police getting a share of the scammers windfall, people do read Trip Advisor prior to booking a hotel in a resort and read about other people’s experience good and bad looks like more bad experiences mean less tourists going into the danger zones the goose is almost completely cooked now and most of the cashed in golden eggs spent. Tourists choosing with their feet now and its bye bye Thailand.