Security at the bank

My house is secure with quality bars, big dogs and heavy safe but reading Thai Visa one hears a lot about bank ATM scams. I have 5 different Thai bank accounts with different banks and became worried a bit so I SMS's all the accounts yesterday. Now I get a call (SMS) anytime an international deposit (my pension) is made any withdrawals over 500 baht are made or anything purchased. I did all this over the phone except for my direct deposit (pension) account which I did in person because that account does not have an ATM card. I filled out one form and that was it.

The cost is 10 or 20 baht per month and the service was activated in a few minutes of my application.

I feel better. I'm in control of my accounts and it was so easy and cheap.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing, I'll do the same.

If the ATM card is used, does the SMS alert give any details of the location it was 'used'.

Good question. I don't know. I haven't got one yet except for balance and to inform me that the service was started.

I really should do this myself. Was this with for internet linked accounts or just a simple savings account?

Simple savings accounts not internet and one direct deposit (pension) account. Phone for the savings accounts and in person for the direct deposit account (though not at the bank I opened the account (branch))

• Like 1

You really can't beat 10 baht a month to keep an account secure. To repeat there were three account choices. 1. International deposit notification. 2 Withdrawal notification and 3. Charges (spending) at a store notice. I believe they are 10 baht each.

If the scammers get you it's only for one withdrawal then close the account.

Edited by thailiketoo

re

If the ATM card is used, does the SMS alert give any details of the location it was 'used'.

no it doesnt !

ive checked all my tmb accounts ktb . krungsri and bangkok bank accounts and the sms message from all of them says how much moneys moved but not the location

theres a different number inside every sms message so im sure if you phoned the bank they could tell you where it went from :)

i checked two accounts that ive used at an atm machine in the last week and neither of the sms messages that arrived while i was still stood in front of the atm tell you where it went from either ... just the amount !

dave2

post-42592-0-92187900-1415706807_thumb.p

re

re

no it doesnt !

ive checked all my tmb accounts ktb . krungsri and bangkok bank accounts and the sms message from all of them says how much moneys moved but not the location

theres a different number inside every sms message so im sure if you phoned the bank they could tell you where it went from smile.png.pagespeed.ce.S_2hMPZPhC.png

i checked two accounts that ive used at an atm machine in the last week and neither of the sms messages that arrived while i was still stood in front of the atm tell you where it went from either ... just the amount !

dave2

Attached Thumbnails

Same her it gives only the amount

mesquite

Thanks for sharing, I'll do the same.

Good question. I don't know. I haven't got one yet except for balance and to inform me that the service was started.

The SMS from Siam Commercial only says via ATM, no location.

You really can't beat 10 baht a month to keep an account secure. To repeat there were three account choices. 1. International deposit notification. 2 Withdrawal notification and 3. Charges (spending) at a store notice. I believe they are 10 baht each.

Totally agree it's a useful service.

Would disagree a little that you can't beat it :) - I get an sms when my credit card is used, when money is withdrawn from my accounts, plus the balance is sms d to me each morning - all free of charge :) Also get an sms if any suspicious charge to my credit card alerting me that it is suspicious and to press certain buttons or contact call centre to accept/reject.

Cheers

Fletch :)

Totally agree it's a useful service.

Would disagree a little that you can't beat it smile.png - I get an sms when my credit card is used, when money is withdrawn from my accounts, plus the balance is sms d to me each morning - all free of charge smile.png Also get an sms if any suspicious charge to my credit card alerting me that it is suspicious and to press certain buttons or contact call centre to accept/reject.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

I never use my cards to make a purchase. I always withdraw money inside of a bank. The service lets me know when money is withdrawn or purchases are made. You can beat me once but as soon as I'm notified of a withdrawal or purchase I stop the card. How would you beat that?