Why?

weegee

dont really know, only drink 100 pipers, but then i mix it with coke, so jd would be well wasted here,lol.

100 Pipers....my god...I use that for starting fires with.

100 Pipers the whiskey they can't sell cut price in UK Supermarkets!

I have on occasion drank my fair share of Jim Beam in Thailand , and cant say I haven't noticed any real difference when drinking it in say Singapore or other places.

SP- Jim Beam:pfui!!!

my last good stuff was a bottle of Laphroig-thats the thing dreams are made off...

I will agree a good Laphroig or a Macallan hits the spot.

Macallan 18 years old, I hope the wife buys the same again this Christmas!

http://www.shop4whisky.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=68&gclid=CMKIiK-988ECFSbHtAodzDAADQ

Cripes It's just dawned on me shes getting too much house keeping!

Edited by MAJIC

They make barbeque sauce out of it. Quite yumsky. Like a sweet HP. It is not a whiskey it is bourbon.

My friend from Tennessee told me it was a dry State and he had to drive to Alabama to buy it, even though it was made in Tennessee. Is that True?

I like it because it is smooth and doesn't have the harshness that some whiskeys have. Unfortunately, that smoothness leads to drinking more of it.

I can buy it here in the bestest country in the world cheaper than whiskey or even Vodkaleeloolytaps.

Edited by Patsycat

I've tried virtually most Scotches, Bourbons and of course JD but I always come back to JW Gold.

The single malts are good but inconsistent. Small batch bourbons are good but I find them too sweet. JD is basically <deleted>.

People knock blended Scotch but when done properly I prefer it. I prefer Gold to Blue or any other JW.

There is a reason why JW is popular even though it's decried. It's consistent whether you like the taste or not.

Okay experts, then what is "gentleman jack" or "old jack" or any other name they came up with last years? I never drank that, is it worth the extra money?

And i was thinking but i think i never drank the Thai jack D. Is it not the same??

Here i sometimes drink Johnny Walker red or black label with ice and water....Jack D. i drink with only ice.

Gentleman, Old and the ridiculously priced Sinatra Select iterations of JD are fancy packaging and marketing. That's all.

If you want a real bourbon that barely needs a single cube of ice, you want Blanton's.

attachicon.gif4 for the road.jpg

One day you'll thank me for this.

(but in the meantime please don't drink ANYTHING named Johnny Walker, no matter what color the label is)

But the other Jacks that i see on the airports cost much more then the common one. I can't believe anybody would pay that much more for a box or different bottle? Also "old jack" should be more old i guess. I will check that out next time i 'm in Dubai or so.

That brand you recommend is hard to remember, i will try to find it. That horse on top might be easyier to remember.

That brand you recommend is hard to remember, i will try to find it. That horse on top might be easier to remember.

Trust me when I say that once you find it and drink it, you'll never forget it (and you will forget about all the other rubbish too)

It's not exclusive although I have yet to find it in LOS. Maison du Whisky has it in Singapore (they restocked after I bought all their stock over 3-4 years) but their markup is typically Singapore River Walk, ie. twice the price it is in the US. Best value is in Labuan where several duty-free shops have it at near-to-US prices.

I always buy Jack D on airports and to me it always tastes the same. It's the only whisky i really like but i rarely drink lately.

Oh ! naughty, naughty. Jack is definitely NOT whiskey, it's bourbon.... like chalk & cheese.

Jack is Tennessee whisky. Bourbon is bourbon whisky. (USA spelling of whiskey). It;s all whiskey.

I have on occasion drank my fair share of Jim Beam in Thailand , and cant say I haven't noticed any real difference when drinking it in say Singapore or other places.

SP- Jim Beam:pfui!!!

my last good stuff was a bottle of Laphroig-thats the thing dreams are made off...

I will agree a good Laphroig or a Macallan hits the spot.

30 year old Bunnahabhain.

I don't know how old it was, but the bottle of Glenmorangie I was given was sooooo smooth and delicious that I realised I should not get peesed on it. It was reserved for special occasions to sip, slowly, without ice or water. The bottle lasted a month.

• Like 1

just to add to the thread....

I have a Jack Daniels Thailand designer bottle, made and bottled in 1969,
which I brought over with me, when I moved here,.

What is unusual, other than the bottle and all the labels are
still in perfect condition, is that it is still full tennessee whiskey,
It has never been opened!! My mother was a collector, who didn't drink,

and bought it many decades ago.

t1_zps40fd0ca7.jpg
t_zps76a860b5.jpg

Jack or Jim? The bottle says Beam.

But a very nice looking bottle.

Yeah...have to agree...I think it's Jim not Jack. But the bottle is worth a few bob, to a collector.

I dont collect bottles, only empty them....cheesy.gif

Around 400 baht on Ebay right now.

Jack or Jim? The bottle says Beam.

But a very nice looking bottle.

Yeah...have to agree...I think it's Jim not Jack. But the bottle is worth a few bob, to a collector.

I dont collect bottles, only empty them....cheesy.gif

I know............coffee1.gif .................but give up adding to the collection at around 2am............rolleyes.gif

Okay experts, then what is "gentleman jack" or "old jack" or any other name they came up with last years? I never drank that, is it worth the extra money?

And i was thinking but i think i never drank the Thai jack D. Is it not the same??

Here i sometimes drink Johnny Walker red or black label with ice and water....Jack D. i drink with only ice.

Gentleman, Old and the ridiculously priced Sinatra Select iterations of JD are fancy packaging and marketing. That's all.

If you want a real bourbon that barely needs a single cube of ice, you want Blanton's.

(but in the meantime please don't drink ANYTHING named Johnny Walker, no matter what color the label is)

Interesting, never tried Blanton's but looks like the real deal. I'll be keeping an eye out for it next trip to the US.

I can't find any sort of decent bourbon here in Thailand. Used to buy Wild Turkey, 101º and 8 year old, and much cheaper than JD at Carrefour a few years back! Now mai mee. Villa Mkt has (or at least used to have) Makers Mark, which I don't really care for.

If anyone knows where a good bourbon is available in Thailand (Bkk area?) please post that info here! (I like my whiskey 100º or better, and 6 y/o or better. Straight up too, no diluting it with anything!)

They've been dumbing down Jack Daniels for years now. Used to be 94º or 96º years ago, now (I think) only 80º. Sells more on its brand name recognition than for being a quality whiskey (it isn't). And off the top of my head (too lazy to look it up), only whiskeys made in Kentucky can use the name bourbon, and must meet certain distilling specs, if I'm not mistaken. JD is a sour mash, same like bourbons, but made in Tennessee so not technically bourbon. And (also IIRC) it's the county JD is distilled in that is a dry county, not the entire state.

Anyhow, just off the top of my head and I stand corrected if not 100% accurate. Cheers whiskey lovers!

Interesting, never tried Blanton's but looks like the real deal. I'll be keeping an eye out for it next trip to the US.

I can't find any sort of decent bourbon here in Thailand. Used to buy Wild Turkey, 101º and 8 year old, and much cheaper than JD at Carrefour a few years back! Now mai mee. Villa Mkt has (or at least used to have) Makers Mark, which I don't really care for.

If anyone knows where a good bourbon is available in Thailand (Bkk area?) please post that info here! (I like my whiskey 100º or better, and 6 y/o or better. Straight up too, no diluting it with anything!)

They've been dumbing down Jack Daniels for years now. Used to be 94º or 96º years ago, now (I think) only 80º. Sells more on its brand name recognition than for being a quality whiskey (it isn't). And off the top of my head (too lazy to look it up), only whiskeys made in Kentucky can use the name bourbon, and must meet certain distilling specs, if I'm not mistaken. JD is a sour mash, same like bourbons, but made in Tennessee so not technically bourbon. And (also IIRC) it's the county JD is distilled in that is a dry county, not the entire state.

Anyhow, just off the top of my head and I stand corrected if not 100% accurate. Cheers whiskey lovers!

According to Maker's Mark Master Distiller Kevin Smith, whiskey can be called bourbon no matter where in the country it's made — it just has to be made according to the rules we laid out above. So why is JD's not bourbon? Because it's filtered through maple wood charcoal before being aged in oak barrels, which is an extra step that isn't included in making bourbon.

When America gets done with it's whiskey barrels it ships to some little known spirits makers in Scotland who can only afford second hand barrels. Maker's Mark and Jim Beam send some of their barrels across the Atlantic to Scotland, where they're used to age Laphroaig single malt Scotch.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

According to Maker's Mark Master Distiller Kevin Smith, whiskey can be called bourbon no matter where in the country it's made — it just has to be made according to the rules we laid out above. So why is JD's not bourbon? Because it's filtered through maple wood charcoal before being aged in oak barrels, which is an extra step that isn't included in making bourbon.

When America gets done with it's whiskey barrels it ships to some little known spirits makers in Scotland who can only afford second hand barrels. Maker's Mark and Jim Beam send some of their barrels across the Atlantic to Scotland, where they're used to age Laphroaig single malt Scotch.

I have a technical question, seeing as they have been producing whisky in Scotland way before the US even existed, where did they get the barrels from then seeing as the US never existed ? Come Mr smarty pants :rolleyes: Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

I have a technical question, seeing as they have been producing whisky in Scotland way before the US even existed, where did they get the barrels from then seeing as the US never existed ? Come Mr smarty pants rolleyes.gif

Now I can't post a link but my grandfather told me before the USA they got them from Ireland.

I have a technical question, seeing as they have been producing whisky in Scotland way before the US even existed, where did they get the barrels from then seeing as the US never existed ? Come Mr smarty pants rolleyes.gif
Now I can't post a link but my grandfather told me before the USA they got them from Ireland.
Well if the truth be told Scotland got whiskey from Ireland ;)

But don't tell them that they get rather miffed

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

Well if the truth be told Scotland got whiskey from Ireland wink.png

But don't tell them that they get rather miffed

I was going to say that but after I told them that Laphroaig gets it's taste from 2nd hand American Whiskey barrels I thought it might push some over the edge.

I'm the last one to bring religion into the mix but I believe Monks did the teaching. smile.png

Oops....my error...I need to proof read before hitting send!!

Yes, the bottle is Jim Beam....not Jack Danials as I posted.

As Thailiketoo posted you can find _empty_ Jim Beam designer bottles for sale on the Net for 400 Baht.

But, I doubt the is another1969 Jim Beam Thailand bottle anywhere in the world like mine, which still has

the tax stamps untampered with and is still full of the it's original 8-yr old tennessee whiskey.

It's unfortunate that whikey doesn't further age once it's bottled laugh.png

Dude, thank you, if your post is indeed accurate, and I do not question the veracity of the statements you have made, you have answered something I wanted to know for a long time. How Laphroaig is made to taste as it does, I am utterly disgusted by it, but others seem to enjoy it. It just always tasted like dirt in a wooden ships bilge to me.

The connection makes total sense.... :) Quandary closed... moving onto more important nagging questions.

Dude, thank you, if your post is indeed accurate, and I do not question the veracity of the statements you have made, you have answered something I wanted to know for a long time. How Laphroaig is made to taste as it does, I am utterly disgusted by it, but others seem to enjoy it. It just always tasted like dirt in a wooden ships bilge to me.

The connection makes total sense.... smile.png Quandary closed... moving onto more important nagging questions.

Laphroaig doesn't get it's taste from American whisky barrels it gets it's taste from peat. The barley is smoked over peat fires. Barrels give whisky colour and flavour that's why sherry barrels are preferred but peat whiskey is different. The original barrels I believe came from the Spanish Armada and since Henry VIII and his daughter Elizabeth I did a good job of killing most of the Catholics and monks there weren't any monks around to make whisky.

Whisky probably came from Ireland in the form of Puccine which is basically Vodka and the Scots put it into barrels which they still get from Spain although it is possible they use American ones too.

Uncasked whisky is clear like Vodka but made from barley whereas Puccine is made from potatoes.

• Like 1

The connection makes total sense.... smile.png Quandary closed... moving onto more important nagging questions.

Laphroaig doesn't get it's taste from American whisky barrels it gets it's taste from peat. The barley is smoked over peat fires. Barrels give whisky colour and flavour that's why sherry barrels are preferred but peat whiskey is different. The original barrels I believe came from the Spanish Armada and since Henry VIII and his daughter Elizabeth I did a good job of killing most of the Catholics and monks there weren't any monks around to make whisky.

Whisky probably came from Ireland in the form of Puccine which is basically Vodka and the Scots put it into barrels which they still get from Spain although it is possible they use American ones too.

Uncasked whisky is clear like Vodka but made from barley whereas Puccine is made from potatoes.

The wide-spread use of bourbon whiskey barrels is a fairly recent occurrence – a result of the difficulty in sourcing sherry casks during the Spanish civil war in the late 1930′s.

Currently any where from 300,000 – 400,000 bourbon casks are acquired for use in the maturation of Scotch whisky – in contrast to only about 18,000 sherry casks.

Contrary to popular belief, very few whiskies are aged exclusively in bourbon barrels – most ex-bourbon aged malts are vatted with a (varying) percentage of whiskey which was aged in ex-sherry barrels.

Laphroaig, Glemorangie 10, Ardbeg 10, Glenlivet 12, are among those few “pure” ex-bourbon matured whiskies.

Of course the barrel adds flavor!

As an additive – It adds to the taste and aroma of the spirit by providing desirable elements from the cask. For example: vanillin, Oak lactone (coconut, bourbon character), toastiness, wood sugars and color.

As an agent that removes undesirable elements from new make spirit. For example: sulphur compounds and immaturity.

Oak barrels also interact with the spirit. It adds extractive wood elements from the cask and converts them to organoleptically desirable elements.

http://gobourbon.com/using-oak-barrels-to-age-whiskey/

The first confirmed written record of whisky comes from 1405 in Ireland. In the Irish Annals of Clonmacnoise in 1405 (a couple of hundred years before the Spanish Armada), the first written record of whisky attributes the death of a chieftain to "taking a surfeit of aqua vitae" at Christmas.[16] In Scotland, the first evidence of whisky production comes from an entry in the Exchequer Rolls for 1494 where malt is sent "To Friar John Cor, by order of the king, to make aquavitae", enough to make about 500 bottles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky

Edited by thailiketoo