Why?

weegee

does any bottle of Jack Daniels, that you buy in Thailand, taste sour and is not smooth?

Now i drink my share of the stuff, and find it isnt smooth and enjoyable...

What your opinion on this fellas? do i have to fly to Singapore every time I want good stuff. I am worried about this....

• Like 1

depends what you have been drinking or eating directly before, any strong tasting stuff prior is bound to influence the JD. The trick is to keep going, after a few ( alot in your case) you wont notice what planet your on let alone the taste...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

depends what you have been drinking or eating directly before, any strong tasting stuff prior is bound to influence the JD. The trick is to keep going, after a few ( alot in your case) you wont notice what planet your on let alone the taste...thumbsup.gif

Why would you EAT....before having a drink of gods nectar?biggrin.png

• Like 1

I always buy Jack D on airports and to me it always tastes the same. It's the only whisky i really like but i rarely drink lately.

Oh ! naughty, naughty. Jack is definitely NOT whiskey, it's bourbon.... like chalk & cheese.

I always buy Jack D on airports and to me it always tastes the same. It's the only whisky i really like but i rarely drink lately.

Oh ! naughty, naughty. Jack is definitely NOT whiskey, it's bourbon.... like chalk & cheese.

call it what you like....but it's ok with me.

Like my old mate (Grumpy) he only drinks Chang....you know, that stuff usually used for degreasing engines.....smile.png

Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon (From the frequently asked questions of Jack Daniels company website)

http://www.jackdaniels.com/faqs

• Like 2

Is Jack Daniel's a bourbon?

Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon - it's a Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel's is dripped slowly - drop-by-drop - through ten feet of firmly packed charcoal (made from hard sugar maple) before going into new charred oak barrels for aging. This special process gives Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey its rare smoothness. It's this extra step - charcoal mellowing – that makes Jack Daniel's a Tennessee Whiskey.

• Like 1

call it what you like....but it's ok with me.

Like my old mate (Grumpy) he only drinks Chang....you know, that stuff usually used for degreasing engines.....smile.png

OOoooui, don't bring me into this, I have noooooooooooooo problem with you drinking kerosene, even with grass seed in it for flavour, but l ain't drinking it.......................nope......coffee1.gif

Okay experts, then what is "gentleman jack" or "old jack" or any other name they came up with last years? I never drank that, is it worth the extra money?

And i was thinking but i think i never drank the Thai jack D. Is it not the same??

Here i sometimes drink Johnny Walker red or black label with ice and water....Jack D. i drink with only ice.

Edited by namdocmai

Bland stuff at the best of times and when sullied with water, it is vaguely tolerable. I usually have a couple of bottles around the place as it is my cheap charlie tipple of choice and adequate for the proles when they drop by for an imbibe. You know the sort; they put coke in it or think it's a bourbon and say they prefer Jim Beam. Whether bought in Bangkok, Rockhampton, New Orleans or Aberdeen, it all tastes the same. Jack Daniels is the McDonalds of Tennessee whisky.

Now if weegee is being über cheap charlie and buying that stuff they call JD that comes from Cambodia...

• Like 1

Hi mate.. Do you drink it with ice? Actually that's a fairly stupid question... It's almost certain that u drink it with ice.. Nobody likes Jack warm.. Just wondering if ice may be your culprit? Hope you solve this! NOT a good problem to have, when your Jack ain't right ... Nothing is right lol..

Cheers Vladimir

Okay experts, then what is "gentleman jack" or "old jack" or any other name they came up with last years? I never drank that, is it worth the extra money?

And i was thinking but i think i never drank the Thai jack D. Is it not the same??

Here i sometimes drink Johnny Walker red or black label with ice and water....Jack D. i drink with only ice.

Gentleman, Old and the ridiculously priced Sinatra Select iterations of JD are fancy packaging and marketing. That's all.

If you want a real bourbon that barely needs a single cube of ice, you want Blanton's.

attachicon.gif4 for the road.jpg

One day you'll thank me for this.

(but in the meantime please don't drink ANYTHING named Johnny Walker, no matter what color the label is)

HI, I'M THANKING YOU NOW! YOU RECKON ITS THE GO, SO I'LL GET SOME NEXT TIME I'M AT THE GROG SHOP... THANKS FOR THE TIP.... ALWAYS NICE TO TRY SOMETHING NEW AND DIFFERENT... Cheers Vladimir

c'mon, start enjoying yerself with a good Bourbon . . you seem to be JD-tired. Bet you drunk that all your life and don't know any better, that's why it grabs you by the balls now for all it means. Overdue.

Check out some quality Bourbons , a Woodford Reserve for a change, or Knob's Creek . . while you're in the duty free

I have on occasion drank my fair share of Jim Beam in Thailand , and cant say I haven't noticed any real difference when drinking it in say Singapore or other places.

SP- Jim Beam:pfui!!!

my last good stuff was a bottle of Laphroig-thats the thing dreams are made off...

I will agree a good Laphroig or a Macallan hits the spot.

Is Jack Daniel's a bourbon?

Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon - it's a Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel's is dripped slowly - drop-by-drop - through ten feet of firmly packed charcoal (made from hard sugar maple) before going into new charred oak barrels for aging. This special process gives Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey its rare smoothness. It's this extra step - charcoal mellowing – that makes Jack Daniel's a Tennessee Whiskey.

i have been to the Lynchburg destillery, and please listen : Jack Daniels USED to be made this way. But what you seein Lynchburg, is just for the kind of us old tourists. Who believe in everything they are being told.

Don't try to explain to me how they would charcoal mellow drop by drop when they are selling 35+ millions of gallons of Jacks every year.

I have seen the dripping of drops during the guided tour, and wondered how the can process the sheer amounts of hectoliters/gallons literally "drop by drop" !!!!

(Their stocks of kegs is but very spectacular!!!)

It would take them until Christmas 2514 in the drop by drop way . . . . . just try to imagine.

That's why our guide calmly mentioned that what we see is not the "end processing and bottling" part of the whole darn thing , this part is located outside of Lynchburg . . . he gave me something to think . . .

Jack Daniels of today, is a highly industrialized, designer Whisky, tastes like a Bourbon but calls itself a Tennessee Whisky. Ever tried to drink it pure as is, on ice ? I'd dare say that 98% of all Jack's lovers & friends drink it with a Coke . . . .the flavour . . . well, do you really think that they can't imitate a "charcoal drop by drop" ??? 21st century and beyond ? When they (food chemists) can make a burrito taste like stawberry?

Edited by crazygreg44

I have on occasion drank my fair share of Jim Beam in Thailand , and cant say I haven't noticed any real difference when drinking it in say Singapore or other places.

SP- Jim Beam:pfui!!!

my last good stuff was a bottle of Laphroig-thats the thing dreams are made off...

I will agree a good Laphroig or a Macallan hits the spot.

30 year old Bunnahabhain.