Americans among five 'criminals' arrested in Thailand

webfact

Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing something about this too...?

First and foremost - 'hooray' - to the BIB for catching foreign criminals, that's great. Lovely really, wanted foreign criminals need to be caught.

But having worked in media, including Thai media, for a long time I cannot help but get a sudden twitch of suspicion. I've always read, but not commented, ThaiVisa for years. It seems we are suddenly getting the 'Weekly Farang Bad-guys' reports, condensed in their presentation even to offer an easy to reference summary. A 'dog and pony show' for detractors.

Media on the production side has the responsibility to answer the 'why' question; Why are you reporting this? Why are you doing it now? Why have you changed the manner that you report these things? Etc...

With all the 'bad press' Thailand has been weathering recently one cannot help but wonder if the National Council for Peaceful [investment] and Orderly [tourism] has suddenly had the idea to fight back with media.

'Sure we've had some bad days with a killing or two here and there, maybe some fraud or robbery, even one or two bad cops. But look! Farangs are BAD and we are doing our job!'

So the exodus of foreign capital investment or choosing not to travel to Thailand? 'Heh, that's just silly!'

• Like 1

• 2 years later...