Longterm residents and the VAT refund for tourists - no problem

I've had to drag my 15" Macbook Pro along on this trip to Seoul/Tokyo, but it was a novelty to have a Thai hand me money that wasnt simply change from a transaction. From memory, the MBP cost me around 67K baht and my refund was 3750 baht - for some, it will seem like a pittance but I'll take what I can get.

FWIW, they did look at the stamps in my passport but there was no questioning - my current extension of stay expires in Sep 2015 and I have a multi re-entry permit till then : pretty obvious that I'm not a 'tourist' in the strict sense of the word, but if the objective is to get foreigners spending money in selected businesses then I'd say Apple Thailand would have no objections whatsoever. I've spent a lot more on audio over the last 6 months but obviously it needs to be something you can bring with you - they check the item(s) before you check your baggage, and as with anything in Thailand my experience may not be the same as yours - in this instance, it all worked out. Something to consider the next time you're eyeing off a shiny new electro-toy or similar.

• Like 2

I'm currently on a multiple entry tourist visa (3 entries and I'll probably stay for around 7 months), my thai gf and I have moved into a little town house style place and have been purchasing a lot of stuff for said place also we went halfs on a second hand moped, I've kept receipts for everything I've purchased hoping that I could claim the tax back at the airport, I am right in saying it's only things I can physically show them at the airport that I can claim for? I've never claimed for the tax before but have seen it every time I've travelled so thought I'd give it a go this year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Apple store made me fill in the form when I bought the MBP - Sony dont even ask you if you want to apply for the VAT Refund unless you specifically ask them before they do the invoice. The Apple salesman had to enter a bunch of info into their system to indicate that it would be subject to a VAT refund and the printed invoice was attached to my application form - hope this helps.

Thanks for posting! I recently asked a similar question about VAT refunds. I'm on a multi entry Non-O and was told "no chance" by forum members. Although I understand that experiences can vary from day to day, it looks like this wasn't a one off deal because you made multiple claims. Based on what you've said, I'm going to make a claim upon exit.

Love it bought real deal Rolex They asked to see so showed them got my vat back and was back the next day. My Thai friend bought one split vat with him. On second one guy asked me didn't you just buy I said yes but got robbed In Hong Kong.

Yup you have made a real killing after paying a ridiculously overpriced price in the first place. Way cheaper to have got it elsewhere in Asia in the first place.

Edited by JeremyBowskill
  • Like 1

I'm currently on a multiple entry tourist visa (3 entries and I'll probably stay for around 7 months), my thai gf and I have moved into a little town house style place and have been purchasing a lot of stuff for said place also we went halfs on a second hand moped, I've kept receipts for everything I've purchased hoping that I could claim the tax back at the airport, I am right in saying it's only things I can physically show them at the airport that I can claim for? I've never claimed for the tax before but have seen it every time I've travelled so thought I'd give it a go this year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The receipts by themselves get you nothing. You need the vat claim for filled in when you purchase items with a total value of at least ฿2,000 at one time.

I must have slipped through the cracks,retirement extension.Looking looking woman at The Don,and her face lit up when i hit the good service button.Missus couldnt work out where all my charm come from.Why she give you big smile???

• 1 month later...

I bought an iphone 6 from True in Silom and forgot to ask for a VAT refund. I phoned and they told me I could get one the next day but now True tell me they do not do VAT refunds. However I went to the Apple shop two floors above and they do. So please beware!!!!!

I purchased my MB Pro from iStudio and payed a couple hundred USD over what I would have paid in the USA. The tax refund was enough to cover that at 7500 baht.

Works like a champ.. decent beer money on the way out.

Kurt

Yes your right. You have to physically have and show them the item/items at the airport. Before the six months with a tax vat form from purchese.

I'm getting 1,789 Baht back for my Iphone 6.

. I'm only getting 1,200 baht back for my iPhone 6 paid 25,900 for it was 25,500 but all sold out the only shop who had any left stuck an extra 400 baht on them

You buy an expensive watch, pay VAT, reclaim VAT, leave Thailand with the watch. Fine. You exported a watch. You come back with that watch, do not declare the import, do not pay import tax. That is smuggling. I think you only discovered a way of committing a low risk crime. Next, a Thai asks you to buy expensive jewellery for him in your name. You do the trip, hand over the items, take your cut of the "savings" and so on. Get my point?

• Like 1

You buy an expensive watch, pay VAT, reclaim VAT, leave Thailand with the watch. Fine. You exported a watch. You come back with that watch, do not declare the import, do not pay import tax. That is smuggling. I think you only discovered a way of committing a low risk crime. Next, a Thai asks you to buy expensive jewellery for him in your name. You do the trip, hand over the items, take your cut of the "savings" and so on. Get my point?

Yes. Foolish at best. Criminal on all levels. needy