Hello from the USA!

onvacation

I just want to say hello to all my Thai Visa friends! This website helped me tremendously when my family and I lived in Chiang Mai for 14 months. Life in Chiang Mai was fun and rough for us at the same time. It was rough because we were travelling and lived like travelers. We lived 14 months with our 4 year old twins without a car. The best thing we did in Thailand was put the kids in an international school and made a lot of good friends through the school. If I ever have a chance to travel long term again I would not hesitate to get a car it makes a huge difference when you have two kids in tow.

I just want to say that we miss Chiang Mai but very happy to be back home!

I hope you enjoy the heat and the sun there. If you need anything shipped from the USA let me know! I can help.

• Like 1

I didn't blame Thailand for anything. Thailand or any other parts of the world is just not for me to make a home. I am fine travelling for a few years, take my family on adventure but USA is my home. I have a home here, a comfortable income, a community etc. What's your problem? Yes, I probably will be back in 15 years and my Thai friends will accept me wholeheartedly because we have mutual love and respect.

I didn't blame Thailand for anything. Thailand or any other parts of the world is just not for me to make a home. I am fine travelling for a few years, take my family on adventure but USA is my home. I have a home here, a comfortable income, a community etc. What's your problem? Yes, I probably will be back in 15 years and my Thai friends will accept me wholeheartedly because we have mutual love and respect.

Read CM's post again.

• Like 1

Maybe cmhomeboy didn't mean what he said in a negative way. If he didn't, i agree with him. It's cool that you traveled, had fun but have a place where you belong and didn't get stuck here neither ended up complaining, living the bitter life.

So how did you go around with two kids without a car, i am curious?

• Like 1

ONV,

You totally mid understood HM's post....

HM was directing his remarks towards complainers about Thailand and Thais...

Are you going to issue an apology?

I am looking forward to my upcoming six-month USA stay in the great NW...

CB

Thanks for that supportive post.

I'm sure that it was just a lack of reading comprehension on the OP's part.

If he wants to apologize that's fine, I'll accept it graciously... if not, no problem. I'm an American myself and I know how we can be sometimes.

I also didn't think homeboys response was a negative one, he was saying it's great to hear a story where someone came had fun, loved the experience, made friends, has great memories and will come back int he future to visit this wonderful country.

We have been wintering here for 14 years, love everything about Thailand, we now really only come to chiang mai as we love the place so much, I come on these boards to find out all sorts of information and there are members that are really helpful and give great advise. But also there are many members that seem to moan about everything to do with Thailand, and I just wonder why they just don't bleep off. I get where homeboy is coming from, it's a very valid point.....

I also didn't think homeboys response was a negative one, he was saying it's great to hear a story where someone came had fun, loved the experience, made friends, has great memories and will come back int he future to visit this wonderful country.

We have been wintering here for 14 years, love everything about Thailand, we now really only come to chiang mai as we love the place so much, I come on these boards to find out all sorts of information and there are members that are really helpful and give great advise. But also there are many members that seem to moan about everything to do with Thailand, and I just wonder why they just don't bleep off. I get where homeboy is coming from, it's a very valid point.....

Thanks Caitlin, that's exactly what I meant, but the fact that the OP didn't understand it is no big deal.

You have a wonderful attitude and I'm sure your friends here appreciate it.

Thanks Caitlin, that's exactly what I meant, but the fact that the OP didn't understand it is no big deal.

You have a wonderful attitude and I'm sure your friends here appreciate it.

A few of our Thai friends have said that they appreciate the fact that we never look down on them. Many people say that Thais will never be true friends with foreigners but I truly feel in my heart I have made some life long friend in Thailand no matter how many miles are between us. And I'm sure there are a few of us left that haven't got anything to moan about ☺️

• Like 1

My apology. Yep, I reread your post and I want to say I am truly sorry. Enjoy the heat there as we are freezing our butt here.

You seem to have misunderstood my post. No offense or criticism was intended.

I have the greatest admiration for travellers who take an interest in, and try to learn about the places they visit.

Thanks to the members who understood this.

Edited by onvacation

First of all apology issued to cmhomeboy.

We were fortunate to be able to send our kids to an International school, met many friends there who were more than happy to take us places when they were able. Our house was 5 minute walk to the school. We had a scooty that my husband and I used a lot, when we needed a car we rented one or if it was just a short trip with the kids we took a tuk tuk. 99% of the time our Thai friends picked and dropped us off for play dates and parties. We always made sure that we shared gas expenses when we used their cars for longer trips. It's freezing here but the kids said they still prefer to live here...so it will be about 15 years until we make it to Thailand again. But I do expect my Thai friends to visit me in a few years.

Maybe cmhomeboy didn't mean what he said in a negative way. If he didn't, i agree with him. It's cool that you traveled, had fun but have a place where you belong and didn't get stuck here neither ended up complaining, living the bitter life.
So how did you go around with two kids without a car, i am curious?

My apology. Yep, I reread your post and I want to say I am truly sorry. Enjoy the heat there as we are freezing our butt here.

You seem to have misunderstood my post. No offense or criticism was intended.

I have the greatest admiration for travellers who take an interest in, and try to learn about the places they visit.

Thanks to the members who understood this.

Apology accepted... and your courtesy is appreciated.