I want to stay, go out and in, not work, for 3 to 6 mths. What Visa do I apply for?

I have been reading posts here and also Thai consulate websites in Australia but am totally confused.

So I want to go to T then stay for a few mths, go to Spore or maybe Vietnam or wherever.

I am not retired and I do not want to work in Thailand. Then I plan to return to Aust in 4 or 5 mths.

Also I noticed on the application form that they want to know where I will be residing in T and by what means I will be getting there, flight no. etc. But how can I book these things with knowing first that I can get a visa. It seems a chicken or the egg thing to me.

I am currently in Aust and plan to go to Thailand mid Dec.

What visa do I apply for?

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks

Tom

• Like 1

You would a apply for a tourist visa.

It sounds like you would only need a single entry visa that would allow you to get a 60 day permit to stay on arrival that can be extended for 30 days immigration.

For your trips out of the country and back you would get a 30 day visa exempt entry by air or 15 days by land.

If you you have not gotten a ticket yet just leave the flight number blank and write a approximate date for your trip.

For an address you do a search and pick a hotel where you might stay and use that.

• Like 2

A double entry Tourist Visa will give you 6 months with extensions from Immigration and a border run in the middle.

Thank you very much.

"6 months with extensions" - does that mean I have to have it extended whilst in Thailand?

"a border run in the middle" - does that imply just 1 out/in?

Pardon my ignorance but is there not a simple visa that lasts say 1 year from a start date (as determined at time of application or similar) and allows any number of exits and entries?

Or does it just not work that way?

You would a apply for a tourist visa.

It sounds like you would only need a single entry visa that would allow you to get a 60 day permit to stay on arrival that can be extended for 30 days immigration.

For your trips out of the country and back you would get a 30 day visa exempt entry by air or 15 days by land.

If you you have not gotten a ticket yet just leave the flight number blank and write a approximate date for your trip.

For an address you do a search and pick a hotel where you might stay and use that.

Thank you for the reply.

But I am still very confused.

I got 2 replies by very experienced forum members with 2 seemingly different strategies. Or am I misunderstanding?

I suggested a single entry because it appears you plan on making trips out of the country.

If you planned on making a trip out by air (show ticket for it) within 30 days of arrival you would not even need a tourist visa. You could get a 30 day visa exempt entry. Leave for a visit to another country and return getting another 30 days.

The 30 day entries can be extended for 30 days at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

The 2 entry visa would allow you 2 entries of 60 days each. You would need to leave at the end of the entry or apply for a 30 day extension.

There is no visa that would allow you to leave and re-enter multiple times unless your are married to a Thai or 50 years old or over

50 years old or over

I am 61

You should check with the honorary consulate in Brisbane about getting a multiple entry non-o visa, It would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

The embassy or the official consulate in Sydney will not do them.

50 years old or over

I am 61

You should check with the honorary consulate in Brisbane about getting a multiple entry non-o visa, It would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

The embassy or the official consulate in Sydney will not do them.

Thank you. I will do that.

Nobody is incorrect here but what I have found is that everyone tends to add more information that is required and often confuse the issue (They do not simply answer the question you require)

No disrespect to anyone

I did a similar thing last year went to Thailand and then Cambodia

I applied for a multiple entry 3 month tourist visa

This allowed me to go to Thailand, then Cambodia and return to Thailand

Although it seems you are not doing this exactly(hence someone mentioning you only need single entry) if you wish to return to Thailand after travelling to Singapore you may do.

On your return you will be eligible for another 3 months in Thailand

Although it seems you are not doing this exactly(hence someone mentioning you only need single entry) if you wish to return to Thailand after travelling to Singapore you may do.

Not 3 months. A tourist visa allow 60 days in country. The additional 30 days must be applied to immigration office for a fee of Bt 1,900.

Thank you all again.

Can someone please direct me to the meaning of the short cuts used here. Example 'non-o' and some others that I cannot think of at the moment

Personally, I would take the tip, and deal with the Brisbane Consulate. They are a good mob there, they are fast and courteous... even if you are not from Brisbane, they are by far the easiest to deal with, and it is well worth the effort to deal with them.

A double entry Tourist Visa would do the trick for you..... Or as suggested a Multi entry non Imm O visa.... the choice is up to you. The visa types and the requirements are available on their web site.

Edited by winnerinsix

The word 'Non' in front of different visa types means 'non-immigrant', ie. you aren't seeking to live in or stay long-term in Thailand but at the same time, you are also not a Tourist (that's a TR visa). Generally speaking, you will get a single-entry TR visa unless you request a double-entry. Triple-entry TR visas are scarcer than hens teeth but not totally unknown; depends on the jurisdiction.

The O, B, OA and ED are different classifications of non-immigrant visas. O's and B's are generally for those doing 'B' (business) working and/or 'O' (other) married to a local national. OA is a retirement visa classification that isn't universally available and when it is, normally only issued by an Embassy rather than a Consulate. In some jurisdictions, the Consulate or Honorary Consulate can accept visa applications but with more restrictive practices in place, particularly for multiple-entry B's and O's, these are passed to the Embassy for ultimate approval (or otherwise). ED is the ill-starred Education visa.

paz, on 14 Nov 2014 - 10:49, said:
Dene16, on 14 Nov 2014 - 09:09, said:

Not 3 months. A tourist visa allow 60 days in country. The additional 30 days must be applied to immigration office for a fee of Bt 1,900.

Paz yes you are correct, my mistake, but it could still be done on this visa