Pattaya boosts safety for tourists during high season

webfact

Pattaya boosts safety for tourists during high season

CHONBURI, 13 November 2014 (NNT) – Pattaya City is boosting safety for tourists, to address shortcomings the local tourism scene has been experiencing since the imposition of martial law and the murder of British tourists on Koh Tao.

According to Itthiphol Kunpluem ( อิทธิพล คุณปลื้ม ), mayor of Pattaya City, the number of tourists dropped early on when martial law was imposed, but has since been climbing back up. He also expects a continuous rise in tourist arrivals during the current high season, between November and March.

Mr. Itthiphol said Pattaya City has asked responsible agencies to be more stringent in providing security for tourists; this drive is receiving good cooperation from volunteers, policemen and local residents in Pattaya.

He explained that the city does not want undesirable incidents to occur and hamper the confidence of tourists, the majority of whom were from China, Russia, India and Europe.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-13 footer_n.gif

Hard to believe...

Did they not say that last year, and the year before, and the year before that...

After all the boating accidents in recent years, and all the talk of improved safety which just seem to be good intentions that never get implemented as it appears money is more impotent, it is hard to believe that increased security for tourists will actually ever be implemented.

a couple of months ago there was a move to regulate motorbike taxi fares - 25baht first 2km etc etc, has anyone actually been anywhere in Pattaya where this has been implemented in any sustained way or is it another local administration initiative that mostly got discussed but not enforced, I personally have never seen it. All MB taxi ranks were also supposed to have erected boards that displayed the fare breakdown.

The reason I bring this up here is because it could be a tourist safety issue if someone actually attempted to pay the correct fare for a 2km taxi ride, I have yet to see any MB taxi driver attempt to give me 75 baht change from a 100 baht note nor have I seen any boards displayed showing the correct price structure, only yesterday I was given 60baht change not even 70 baht never mind 75 baht, in saying that I still give them 40baht but with that I say 15baht tip and the response is amazing

Has Pattaya administration actually ever followed through with any announced initiative - I cannot think of any

• Like 1

Only one way to be safe in Pattaya.

protect oneself

+1...Safety starts with yourself being careful and not doing what you would never do at home. Being from the USA, I feel Pattaya is much safer then most US cities. Also the types of crime seems to be much lower in deadly violence.

protect oneself

+1...Safety starts with yourself being careful and not doing what you would never do at home. Being from the USA, I feel Pattaya is much safer then most US cities. Also the types of crime seems to be much lower in deadly violence.
I am also from the USA and live here. I am no longer concerned with USA safety as compared to safety here in Pattaya.

If I ever return to the USA, I will again be concerned and will forgo comparing it to Pattaya.

protect oneself

OK I'm going to correct you on your above statement and put this into perspective

I agree that there are areas of a lot of major cities throughout the world that have zones that you just don't go as a tourist or resident, most people would be well aware of these zones that are dangerous - but the big difference (as I've said many times on TVF) there are no unsafe zones in cities inThailand - the whole of Pattaya is a crime ridden dangerous zone and is under policed - the only thing you can do is decrease your odds of being a victim by staying where there are a lot of people around but that is not always possible or effective

This is a beach resort and one of the most unsafe zones is right there at the beach especially at night, there are gangs of criminals roaming pattaya and it makes no difference where you are at any given time - you can become a victim everywhere here - there are no safe zones

• Like 1

yep, the local police have responded to the call. They are so concerned for the safety of tourists that this afternoon on Suk near the Ambassador Hotel, they were pulling over all the tourists to see if they had the correct 'papers' to ride motorbikes.

Edited by taichiplanet

I'm not worried about being protected by ramped up pr blitz: I live here, so off their radar.

I did just read my renewed BUPA policy and noticed it doesn't cover "brawls". Have to ask them if it does cover "gang beatings" since so rare to do a 1 on 1.

"Pattaya City is boosting safety for tourists, to address shortcomings the local tourism scene has been experiencing since the imposition of martial law and the murder of British tourists on Koh Tao."

Not sure what the shortcomings are since the imposition of martial law. As far as I am concerned the shortcomings of

tourists safety have always been there.

Edited by petercool
edited bold type

Has Pattaya administration actually ever followed through with any announced initiative - I cannot think of any

Perhaps the removal of the overhead cables on Beach Rd, that got done.

The widening of Beach Rd got done.

Mostly it is smoke and mirrors.

well they have made some effort, they put in a police box opposite soi 13 a few weeks ago, but the problem is that the real police are too busy collecting tea money to have time to man it and so far it appears they cant find any volunteers so its sitting empty, same as the last times they tried the same thing.

It started already. They caught 2 cute Russian girls who smoked weed on the beach. But they was able to flee thumbsup.gif

I guess, tomorrow we will read the news...or not...

Edited by petercool
unapproved link deleted

smedly, on 13 Nov 2014 - 13:49, said:

a couple of months ago there was a move to regulate motorbike taxi fares - 25baht first 2km etc etc, has anyone actually been anywhere in Pattaya where this has been implemented in any sustained way or is it another local administration initiative that mostly got discussed but not enforced, I personally have never seen it. All MB taxi ranks were also supposed to have erected boards that displayed the fare breakdown.

The reason I bring this up here is because it could be a tourist safety issue if someone actually attempted to pay the correct fare for a 2km taxi ride, I have yet to see any MB taxi driver attempt to give me 75 baht change from a 100 baht note nor have I seen any boards displayed showing the correct price structure, only yesterday I was given 60baht change not even 70 baht never mind 75 baht, in saying that I still give them 40baht but with that I say 15baht tip and the response is amazing

Yes this has certainly been followed up on. There are boards everywhere. I cannot believe you have not seen them.

let the party go on till 6am, devalue your baht to 42 to the dollar, and loosen your visa b.s and oddly enough your place will become safer. Thailand is turning into a want to be upidy place were the cost aka theft, danger, always a outsider and the cost of living or visiting are just not that fun anymore, rapeing, stabbings, purse slash knife slashings, its getting a bit old, the guy last week bleeding out his ear on patong beach.

Thailand the 3rd world tropical getaway were the drinks are 7 dollars and u might get one over the head.