Stirling exchange problems

jimbob333

My family paid there first visit here last week to see me in Bangkok,My sister had problems changing her money from UK Stirling to Thai Baht,at a bank in central rama 9 and an exchange centre,why you ask?some of the money had writing on,(ie when shops write counted numbers on a top note) and if the note wasn't in perfect atm condition they refused to cash it,is this the norm?any advice where she can change the remainder of her money?

Cheers

I've had money refused for having a small hole in it due to a staple. These money changers can be very picky when it comes to the condition of the bills. When I would come over here with money, I'd sit with the cashier at the bank in the US and hand pick out the bills I wanted.

• Like 1

I have never had such a problem and always use one of the super rich/mega rich/grand rich near big C. If notes are rejected due to a small staple hole I find that strange as Super rich..... always staple to the money they recieve with a copy of their reciept

I have never had such a problem and always use one of the super rich/mega rich/grand rich near big C. If notes are rejected due to a small staple hole I find that strange as Super rich..... always staple to the money they recieve with a copy of their reciept

Now THIS is undeniably the best advice EVER.... considering there are 21 Big C branches in Bangkok ALONE and maybe 78 others in the rest of the country.

Fair point. I meant big c opposite central world in central bangkok.

Now THIS is undeniably the best advice EVER.... considering there are 21 Big C branches in Bangkok ALONE and maybe 78 others in the rest of the country.

I have had this problem on a number of occasions, Its seems to be the Norm In Thailand. One bank would not change some fifty pound notes because they had writing on them, The girl behind the counter in the Bank changed the clean ones for me, i went through them and gave most back and said i could not except them < she asked why, i said they have writing on and they have defaced the the kings money. she gave me a dirty look and had to go through a lot of Thai paper money to find clean ones. Now i take clean Fifty pound notes and go to the Chinese money changers, In Bangkok. they always give you a higher rate than any Bank.

I had the same problem years ago. Since then I too ask the UK bank teller to give me clean notes.

Not an obvious problem to many first time visitors here and something worth noting for those coming here on holiday.