Take your shoes off, or.................

Costas2008

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who has the money now?

Maybe her Thai boyfriend ?? Would be a nice touch on the part of

the Thai government to recover the money and give it to the family

of the deceased.....

Sorry, but the Thai government aren't usually known for their nice touches.

And they ain't gonna step in to stop all these bargirl-farang deaths. They make far too much on the bargirl tourism industry.

Shoes, worn outside, can pickup dirt, garbage, dog feces, mucous and anything else on the ground. When worn in the house, the same is tracked onto the floor.

Children are often on the floor, as well as adults when relaxing, sleeping or eating. I prefer to take my shoes off and have, both here and back in the USA.

The rule, in my house, is shoes off please.

• Like 2

The Thai thinking on this is that the feet are dirty and offensive to others. Keeping this in mind, why would the solution to the problem be to uncover/expose for all to see, smell and enjoy ? Perhaps this tradition was started by someone with an out of control foot fetish. Personally, I don't get any pleasure from the sight of others feet.

Unfortunately for my wife (and our neighbours), I moved here from south-west China, and brought a 'civilized' solution with me. They are called foot covers, and you simply take two from the tray at the front door, and slide one over each shoe - when leaving, deposit the used covers in the receptacle outside the front door. We switched from plastic covers to bio-degradable paper covers several years ago. They are very cheap and easily available on the 'net.

Can you please provide the website where the shoe covers are for sale on the net?

I am from Texas and wear boots every day. Very occasionally, I wear trainers, (sport shoes), with laces.

In my own home, I have a boot jack and house slippers. I change into house slippers when I am home. I do not require anyone else to remove their shoes when they enter my house.

I think that the feet, especially dirty and smelly feet, are an offensive sight. I don't go anywhere that would require me to remove my boots. I refuse to take my money to a shop where removing shoes is a requirement.

Walking barefoot makes me feel like a dog or a monkey. Why would someone try to embarrass me in this way?

Bare, ugly, dirty and smelly feet have no place in the presence of clean food. So, I don't put myself in that situation and I don't require others to be so embarrassed.

I was raised to remove my shoes when I enter a house no no trouble for me. wink.png

I ware clean socks and wash my feet every day so no issues with smelly

feet.

Edited by Ulic

This is not just in Thailand Costas, the same in most countries in South East Asia.

Korea and Japan as well. In Japan my girlfriend told me the shoes were symbolic of the outside world and by not wearing shoes in the house would leave the negatives from outside, outside.

I have to say that I too have wondered about the sense of taking one's shoes off when they might actually be cleaner than your feet! I see this everyday were I work. But culture is culture and that is fine and so I follow it and take my shoes off when going into someone house.

But what the hell is this but about having to take your shoes off before one enters a store! That is my question. It is a pain in the neck to do and then have to reverse the process when one comes out again... carrying whatever it was you purchased just moments before just adds to issue. Besides... what does a "No Shoes" policy have to do with selling stuff (other than maybe shoes). This I have never understood... but follow it I do nevertheless.

It is all silly.

I have to admit there are times when I refuse to take my shoes off though I cannot think of any when I go into someones house. There is a small Supermarket similar to a 7-11 near my village, there are always pairs of shoes left at the door, that is a time when I never take my shoes off.

Here is one for you. When I graduated from the Teacher Training school in Bangkok, I was looking for a school teachers job. I went to an agency office, dressed in a shirt, tie and trousers, there was a notice on the door 'Everyone must remove their shoes before entering' everyone had to sit on the step to remove their shoes, there were not even any seats there. I thought that was real stupidity. I refused to take them off, told them so and just walked back out again.

I have been in and out of offices all over Bangkok and other places, and I don't ever recall seeing anyone taking their shoes off before entering, or even shoes being left at the door.

• Like 1

This is not just in Thailand Costas, the same in most countries in South East Asia.

Yes, but I'm living in Thailand and I have to take my shoes off whenever I go in my house or other peoples houses.bah.gif

Excellent topic Costas, but I do not really mind taking my shoes off when entering someones house, although not when I am going into a place where I am giving someone business, office, shop etc.

Yes, but I'm living in Thailand and I have to take my shoes off whenever I go in my house or other peoples houses.bah.gif

Be a man, change your house rules!! biggrin.png

Yes, go on Costas, I dare you.

The Thai thinking on this is that the feet are dirty and offensive to others. Keeping this in mind, why would the solution to the problem be to uncover/expose for all to see, smell and enjoy ? Perhaps this tradition was started by someone with an out of control foot fetish. Personally, I don't get any pleasure from the sight of others feet.

Unfortunately for my wife (and our neighbours), I moved here from south-west China, and brought a 'civilized' solution with me. They are called foot covers, and you simply take two from the tray at the front door, and slide one over each shoe - when leaving, deposit the used covers in the receptacle outside the front door. We switched from plastic covers to bio-degradable paper covers several years ago. They are very cheap and easily available on the 'net.

Can you please provide the website where the shoe covers are for sale on the net?

We seldom buy them on the 'net since my wife loves to go shopping in Hong Kong at least twice a year. However I have bought them on eBay on occasion ( choose a Hong Kong supplier), and there are many other options available on Google.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=Blue+Plastic+Disposable+Shoe+Covers+Overshoes

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, but I'm living in Thailand and I have to take my shoes off whenever I go in my house or other peoples houses.bah.gif width=19 alt=bah.gif>

Surely in your own house you can do as you please? I do

Mr Toad it would be highly recommended to remove your shoes and leave them outside.I also remove my " Newly resoled Kitto Flip flops " and leave them outside.Being a farang who spends most of the day outside walking or clambering about on rocks by the beach your shoes will eventually just " Pen & Ink " ( stink ) Good Advice Mr Toad.....wai.gif x

Although, I’m not comfortable with this requirement and as David48 said “When in Rome do as the Romans do”, I always observe this part of Thai culture.

“When in Rome..."

David certainly can be relied on for a catchy turn of phrase. Sort of the Forrest Gump of TV.

Unfortunately many of our visitors from the north are not comfortable with other habits of the locals (or as you put it, "Thai culture") , most notably regular bathing with soap and the laundering of clothes.

Removing their shoes rather than dragging in the accumulated dog poop adhering to their footwear is a step in the right direction for many of our friends from northern climes, but it's only a tentative first step towards full scale Thai-like personal hygiene.

Edited by Suradit69

What's wrong with taking your shoes off when going into someone's house? I have to laugh when I go back to see family in the UK. They have lovely light coloured carpets and people are trampling all over them in their shoes. My daughter was quite inspired when she came to stay and now that she has a new house, complete with new carpet, nobody goes in with shoes on. Once I had a tradesman walk into my house with big boots and left muddy foortprints up the stairs on the carpet. I deducted the cleaning cost from their invoice. I don't feel comfortable at all with shoes on in someone's house. I think the Thais have got this right!

• Like 1

It's an old custom, required so that the dog crap isn't brought inside onto the floor where, yes, they eat. Or at least they did eat there when the custom originated, even if some of them don't now. Some still do, and find it amusing (somehow) when this farang can't do it (I'm just not bendy enough).

I find it somewhat peculiar to see otherwise impressively dressed Thais of both sexes getting around inside offices, schools, business meetings etc. with no shoes on. As another TV member suggested, some of the the feet you see are definitely not pretty.

Can somebody tell me - in parliament - on the floor of the house, do the shoes come off there?

My Thai Dentist .. it's shoes off.

No problems.

If I don't like it, I can go elsewhere.

For a minute I thought you would say

My Thai Dentist .. it's teeth off.

I would have liked to send a toothless picture of yours to Gayllips..........................

• Like 1

In the old days , they have feet washing facilities by the entrance of People of Influences' houses, so you are supposed to wash your feet before enter.

By the way , this is just my observation from watching La Korn on Television so don't know its true or not.

Some people still do this. I have had to wash my feet before going into several houses in Bangkok. Regular middle class households.

I take my shoes off when I go to someones house...

However, I stopped taking my shoes off when going to a business, such as pharmacy, hair dresser etc....

I did this as the last time I did that at a shop, some ding dong Thai walked off with my shoes... Not entirely his fault as he had the same style... however, he should have noticed they where big for him...

My Thai Dentist .. it's shoes off.

No problems.

If I don't like it, I can go elsewhere.

I was in the waiting room of my dentist two weeks ago.

It is also shoes of and footwear is provided.

In the waiting room was a young French couple, sitting with one leg crossed showing the sole of the foot

It would have been much better and cleaner for them to keep their shoes on!

• Like 1