THAI reports a consolidated net loss of 9,117 mil Baht for the first nine months of 2014

webfact

I know its only one example, but when I was a gold member and flew back and forth so much I held several open legs, Thai stopped flying to NYC. Stopped the non-stop, but also stopped any service to NYC or East coast USA. After all the planes were always 100% full, how could you make money that way? Lost me forever, good riddance when they close.

Like most Thai government related ventures--they near always shoot themselves in the foot, self inflicted. Mai pen rai. up to them, other airlines these days must have thanked Thai for their gift of passengers

The flip side of this is that the most profitable airlines tend to offer the most absolutely horrible flying experience, with incredibly cramped seating, absolutely horrible 'customer service,' angry flight attendants, not to mention charges for carry-on bags, seat assignments, and any non-alcoholic beverage service. Do you really want Thai to emulate Spirit Air and Ryanair? JAL is the only airline in the to 10 that I would ever want to fly on. Here is a list of the 15 most profitable airlines for 2014 according to Airline Weekly:
1 Copa (Panama) 22%
2 Spirit (U.S.) 18%
3 Allegiant (U.S.) 16%
4 Republic (U.S.) 16%
5 Ryanair (Ireland) 15%
6 Alaska (U.S.) 14%
7 Japan Airlines (Japan) 12%
8 Aegean (Greece) 12%
9 Hainan Airlines (China) 12%
10 Delta (U.S.) 11%
11 easyJet (U.K) 11%
12 WestJet (Canada) 11%
13 Southwest (U.S.) 11%
14 American (U.S.) 10%
15 Air Arabia (United Arab Emirates) 10%
And here are the 15 least profitable (you may well notice that South/SE Asia is dominating this list, so it is hardly a problem unique to Thai)
1 Pakistan Int’l (Pakistan) -27%
2 SpiceJet (India) -16%
3 Jet Airways (India) -9%
4 Malaysia Airlines (Malaysia)+ -8%
5 Tigerair (Singapore) -8%
6 Thai Airways (Thailand) -7%
7 AirAsia X (Malaysia) -7%
8 Skymark (Japan) -6%
9 Garuda (Indonesia) -6%
10 Air Berlin (Germany) -6%
11 Philippine Airlines (Philippines) -4%
12 Volaris (Mexico) -3%
13 Virgin Australia (Australia) -3%
14 Kenya Airways (Kenya) -3%
15 Norwegian (Ireland) -2%
Edited by RaoulDuke

Well if it wasn't tourisms fault, then it would be the stars weren't aligned right's fault, or perhaps competitors with cheaper pricing and better product's fault, or, or, or.............. It'll never be THAI's fault with their mismanagement, over pricing, giving away freebies to mp's etc.

Maybe the Buddha didn't wish for it...?

Just looked at flights leave 7th dec.return 8 feb..Flight cheapest From heathrow,,,, Quatar,,£440,,Flight £138 Tax 302 ,All airlines are loosing money to thailand,They are just cutting there loses best they can.,Thai was £780.about £50 dearer than eva.£780 is not expencive for a direct flight,

It is if your shoved into an A340-600 with bad service and beg for drinks. Ask for a can of coke "no we only have the plastic cups" Lights out close the window blinds (dark outside) WHY.

Menu on Emirates given at your seat well before the meal, Thai come around chicken/rice or curry of sorts love surprise food.

used to get a miniature bailey's with a coffee no hab now.

Out of interest, if you did have to fly Thai, would you prefer the 747 or the Airbus?

Flew Thai first time on 747, and that plane is still operating, liked the jumbo very much and safety wise brill. Thai jumbo's have past the sell by date.

A380, modern lovely aircraft, 777er I like these last 2 Emirates operate. But I wouldn't choose like USA v European. After the dreamliners problems not sure.

IF Thai got it's price structure right and used the A380 on the London route I would use them. And if they got their act together and got a slot in at Manchester all the better. Incidentally Emirates have now 6 UK destinations and acquired them way after Thai were running into Heathrow.thumbsup.gif

Of course its the Tourist industry, the fact that I'm writing this with a BA advert on the screen offering the LHR-BKK route 30% cheaper than TG has nowt to do with it (not to mention all the dirt cheap offers offered by the likes of Qatar Airways & Etihad

Cheaper, nicer and everything else you can think of to go with SQ than with Thai. Last time I flew with Thai was a couple of years ago (no choice because of dates) and they didn't even have personal entertainment and the food was nasty. Never mind SQ. MH are cheaper and better (as long as you're not flying over Ukraine) Why would anybody fly Thai if they have a choice in the matter?

Having just traveled Thai Air from Hong Kong -Bangkok return all I can say is" Never again will I use this airline."

The plane was well past it's sell by date, seats incredibly uncomfortable with leg room for a midget, and the inflight "meal" was a cardboard box of luke warm mess.

Never again!

Yes they have gone even longer downhill than before. I recently flew to Vietnam and return with TG and only got the same lousy food as on their domestic routes. Air fare around 9000 B. Beer is only served if specifically asked for.

On airasia I get a decent hot meal for 120 B. Not free but certainly better than TG.

From now on TG will be last choice on regional routes. They are usually more expensive anyway.

mate...you were on a bus with wings...stop complaining....if you can get a cheaper bus go for it. or bring your own sandwiches and beer if you need it.

In any other global company if a chairman/president running the company made such a loss due to mismanagement and or incompetence he would be expected to hand in his resignation immediately and decline his billion baht bonus, surely some of the Thai air force boys would manage to run an international company with a bottomless pit of money to spend especially with all this cheap oil sloshing about just now, get some of the old fuel hungry jets back out again and get them full of tourists grabbing the ultra-cheap tickets to boost the tourist numbers once again.

Looked at Thai last week to fly to Perth early december. Actually the 10th through to the 14th. Thai was 52,000 baht. Got a flight with Malaysia airlines with short stop over in KL for 15,000. This is why they are going broke. Bad service, bad planes and priced over the top. Get real with prices and people may use them so they can get revenue to update planes. But I am sure any profit would be eaten and not put back into equipment to improve their fleet.

I have flown to Paris, Los Angeles, Bali, SIngapore and Hong Kong over the last 12 months - each time I check online for prices - Thai is NEVER among the 5 airlines with the most competitive price. Their service is inconsistant and not worth paying 20 to 30 percent more for flying them - I could see paying more for Singapore AIr or Cathay - but TG just doesn't compare in price versus service -

With 99 planes in the fleet 9 of them more than 20 years old (http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Thai-Airways-International) and more than 80 vice directors (vice presidents?) I'm not surprised alt all. Get someone who actually can do the job instead of appointing retired generals to run the circus.

Top heavy management costs reflected in seat pricing.

Then of course we have the wives and family all using seats that could be sold to the public plus a tired cabin crew style on international flights.

Thai could learn a lot about management from the low cost airlines. Michael O Leary at Ryanair shares an open plan office with the rest of the staff in a low key building in Dublin. His airline is one of the biggest and most successful in Europe. I use the two Taiwanese airlines for London to BKK,Eva and China Airlines.

The old fashioned flag carriers are having a hard time out there in the real world.

Once a year I have to step in to the Thai HQ ,

mostly complains related to my Gold memeber ship,

last i waited there fore nearly 1 hr to be served,

for gold, platin you have 3 extra counters,

only 1 were seated, one other went for lunch,

not back after more than 1 hr,

the 3rd were never seated,

tourist class were much faster;

When you see the employess there, how speedy they walking to their lunch,

we say in my country you can double his shoes when he walking !!

the service in Business is completely down,

the bar on night flights - in business is closed down,

you have to wake up the stewart !!

Ill booked my Gold award, well done in more than 4 months in advance,

my flight request were not on high season , and not on weekend,

I couldnt get in 3 days flexible a seat on afternoon Fra BKK,

and for 3 days not any Business seat for <gold on an evening flight BKK-FRA !!

To get this benefit, you need to accumulate min 50.000 miles to get gold membershit ( sorry memebership !! )

and need 65.000,- flown status miles - that means Q class or higher, that means every return ticket FRA_BKK

about 300,- more thanm V class, so you pay more 6x300,- = 1.800,- Eur,

and than for the free gold ticket still 700,- fees and taxes, all together 2.500,-

nearly the price for a bought Business ticket,

where no hassle of which day booking, reebook or cancellation;

This is Thai AW !!!

• Like 1

In any other global company if a chairman/president running the company made such a loss due to mismanagement and or incompetence he would be expected to hand in his resignation immediately and decline his billion baht bonus, surely some of the Thai air force boys would manage to run an international company with a bottomless pit of money to spend especially with all this cheap oil sloshing about just now, get some of the old fuel hungry jets back out again and get them full of tourists grabbing the ultra-cheap tickets to boost the tourist numbers once again.

the last one resigned end last year,

it took them a few months to nnominate a new one !

It must not be a sucessfull manager ,

It must be a THAI !!! thats the problem !!

Do you want too be e CEO in a company with 5.000 ? ( 10.000 ) employes,

not skilled, not loyal, not will to work,

and not possible to fire any single of them ??

It is also symptonmatic of wealth disparity, when all your wealth is spread among so few. I know very few Thais that can afford to fly Thai Airways.

My missus only flies Thai Airways if she is forced to (for the government to reimburse some of her flights she has to fly THAI). She says she hates flying with them as she is treat like a second class citizen. Westerners get instant attention and the Thais have to wait and are apparently treat differently based on the tone of skin and how they are dressed.

This is totally not tthe truth !!

FRA-BKK is always a mix of foreigners and Thai,

and i fly this route 5 times a year !!

Thais are equal or better served than foreigners !

Sometimes they forget ask you for the coffe, if in front seat a thai with whom they always like to chat !!

And Thais usually pay less than farongs !!!

= Farang fault again!!! hooray we did it for the umpteenth year in a row!! Keep foreigners out and most importantly have Thai only management as only Thais can run an airline in Thailand they have the expertise and deep knowledge required for a "Thai only" business. So if its a Thai only business then you can attribute your losses only to yourself. I cannot even remember the last time I flew with TG but what I know for sure is I will never fly with them ever again.

Edited by kinmaew

With 99 planes in the fleet 9 of them more than 20 years old (http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Thai-Airways-International) and more than 80 vice directors (vice presidents?) I'm not surprised alt all. Get someone who actually can do the job instead of appointing retired generals to run the circus.

Then of course we have the wives and family all using seats that could be sold to the public plus a tired cabin crew style on international flights.

Thai could learn a lot about management from the low cost airlines. Michael O Leary at Ryanair shares an open plan office with the rest of the staff in a low key building in Dublin. His airline is one of the biggest and most successful in Europe. I use the two Taiwanese airlines for London to BKK,Eva and China Airlines.

The old fashioned flag carriers are having a hard time out there in the real world.

Would you want to fly long haul on RyanAir?

He would probably make you pedal to save money.....

Having just traveled Thai Air from Hong Kong -Bangkok return all I can say is" Never again will I use this airline."

The plane was well past it's sell by date, seats incredibly uncomfortable with leg room for a midget, and the inflight "meal" was a cardboard box of luke warm mess.

Never again!

THAI make a big show of using a 380 on the HK route. Just imagine most people's disappointment when they get loaded onto an ancient 330 without even a TV seatback.......

9,117 million baht

2,864 million baht

1,097 million baht

1,086 million baht

6,182 million baht

Is there something wrong with using the word "billion" ?

They don't like decimals?

There are (or rather were) 2 definitions for 'billion' so best to avoid confusion where money is involved I think. I agree that these days it is defined to be 10^9

Edited by jacko45k

Never again!

I tried out the brand-spanking new Thai A380 on the BKK-HKG route on a promotion fare and found the seats tiight for space plus the food was terrible. With Cathay Pacific and Emirates flying this route there is absolutely zero reason to have to use Thai any more at least in economy class.

I can't comment on the in-flight service of Thai as I've never wanted to pay more than double the Jetstar price MLB-BKK.....but the financial situation, I can comment on that....woeful!

It's some form of insanity to allow the same people to do the same thing over and over again without someone putting a stop to it.

We are flying to Australia , and Thai came in the cheapest .For 2 of us we got a return ticket for 52000 baht. This was cheaper than Jet star and Qantas. With Jet star you have to think about all the extra's they put on .Qantas only flies to Sydney then you have to get a domestic flight to Melbourne

A very one off price, Do you or wifey work for Thai. I think you are one of two posters that are happy---fine stick with them.

Make that 3. Me and the missus just flew to Brisbane return. Bt56000 all up. Was the only direct flight available and was cheaper than all the other airlines. Plane half empty so plenty of room to stretch the legs. Good friendly service with reasonably good food and plenty of refreshments. Will stick with them.

Edited by MickGC

I can turn Thai airways around inside one year Where it will show a profit. But I'm a farang and can't be hired to do this for them. But here is 3 Major areas to start.

1.Fire all management

2. Retrain all the crew to better serve the customers.

3. No more free flights for elite's Period No pay no fly.

Once this is done the free loaders gone moral will go up, then airline could then offer bonuses for suggestions on cost savings from employee's, move saved equals more to raise wages to industry standard.

Cool website. Over the last 2 years over 1/2 of new planes have been leased. 12 out of 20. Plus 3 more 777's that are on order. Last leasing was done during fiasco of 1997.

Would you want to fly long haul on RyanAir?

He would probably make you pedal to save money.....

Brilliant prices good run business NO frills here, A-B only.

Long haul is not it's business. BUT if it was your holiday money would be spent on toilet visits.

We are flying to Australia , and Thai came in the cheapest .For 2 of us we got a return ticket for 52000 baht. This was cheaper than Jet star and Qantas. With Jet star you have to think about all the extra's they put on .Qantas only flies to Sydney then you have to get a domestic flight to Melbourne

A very one off price, Do you or wifey work for Thai. I think you are one of two posters that are happy---fine stick with them.

Make that 3. Me and the missus just flew to Brisbane return. Bt56000 all up. Was the only direct flight available and was cheaper than all the other airlines. Plane half empty so plenty of room to stretch the legs. Good friendly service with reasonably good food and plenty of refreshments. Will stick with them.

HERE IS YOUR ANSWER having said all that-------plane half empty.??? if it was cheap and good service, why has it a problem filling the aircraft ???

Never again!

Yes they have gone even longer downhill than before. I recently flew to Vietnam and return with TG and only got the same lousy food as on their domestic routes. Air fare around 9000 B. Beer is only served if specifically asked for.

On airasia I get a decent hot meal for 120 B. Not free but certainly better than TG.

From now on TG will be last choice on regional routes. They are usually more expensive anyway.

mate...you were on a bus with wings...stop complaining....if you can get a cheaper bus go for it. or bring your own sandwiches and beer if you need it.

I am not your mate!

It is also symptonmatic of wealth disparity, when all your wealth is spread among so few. I know very few Thais that can afford to fly Thai Airways.

My missus only flies Thai Airways if she is forced to (for the government to reimburse some of her flights she has to fly THAI). She says she hates flying with them as she is treat like a second class citizen. Westerners get instant attention and the Thais have to wait and are apparently treat differently based on the tone of skin and how they are dressed.

This is totally not tthe truth !!

FRA-BKK is always a mix of foreigners and Thai,

and i fly this route 5 times a year !!

Thais are equal or better served than foreigners !

Sometimes they forget ask you for the coffe, if in front seat a thai with whom they always like to chat !!

And Thais usually pay less than farongs !!!

Can only state what I've been told. All farrang here seem to be in agreement so I thought I would add what a Thai person thought too. Net end result is she doesn't like them either.

Are there any Thai's on here willing to give their thoughts too? Or anyone else's wife travel with them and gave an opinion?

9,117 million baht

2,864 million baht

1,097 million baht

1,086 million baht

6,182 million baht

Is there something wrong with using the word "billion" ?

1 billion = 1 million million. The word billion is derived from "bi" (2) and "million". Just as plants can be bi-annual so are numbers. The term billion, not understood by Americans, was incorrectly applied by them to "thousand million" and a lot of the world has accepted it so as to avoid international confusion. It is still incorrect. Thais are very correct with their numbering referring, as they do, to lahn lahn (million million) etc.

So yes, in this instance there is something wrong with using the word billion.

In any case this is probably a translation from Thai language which has no "billion".

Edited by hugh2121