Slingbox blocked in thailand ?

liddelljohn

i have a Slingbox in UK , it used to work fine in Thailand and was able to view it recently in Dubai, Saudi .Hanoi and Singapore but now in thailand it will not connect even with 6.8mb TOT connection to my UK server which currently has 3.7mb .

heve had the unit in UK reset twice today but it will not connect at all from pattaya

is Slingbox now blocked here ????

I tried in july to connect to Slingbox, located in Norway,in Sakon Nakhon 10MB 3BB without success. Sometimes it came up just to disconnect shortly after. Hopefully this thread may get a solution to the problem

Its probably blocked in Thailand, install "extensions" / "add-ons" on your web browser. The best ones I've used are "Best Proxy Switcher" and "Zenmate".

If you have no idea how to do that, just search "best proxy switcher firefox" and click on the link to follow the directions.

Why should a Slingbox be blocked?

I guess it's running with a changing IP in private household somewhere?

It's more likely a timeout from the integrated webserver, because of the high latency.

I'am running a similar device to a slingbox in Germany:

http://www.amazon.de/PCTV-Broadway-HD-S2-Satelliten-Videorecorder/dp/B0063UT8TU

While it works great in EU, it's some times impossible to login from Thailand with FF, but works mostly with Chrome.

But no problems to login from a decent line from Singapore.

Run your sling box on port 80 or 443 at your router, then do a port redirect to the boxes real port of 5001. Then you'd just connect tot sling.box:80 and it should fire up.

Alternatively, try using the sling web player - maybe this will work.....

It's not blocked in Thailand. I've been using it every day.

Sometimes the speed is too slow, so that's annoying. But that's always been a temporary issue (while my computer is downloading updates, I think).

You can do those manually.

Hopefully you have someone that can reboot the Slingbox for you. Have used my US Slingbox for 5 years of so on TOT, 3BB, and Sophon Cable and occasionally I will have to reboot it

Since I have no one at the location to reboot it for me I use an Internet Operated Power switch, which allows me to reboot anything connected to it

If it played OK in the past, I doubt if it is a port forwarding problem unless there was power surge back at the Slingbox location that changed your port forwarding settings on your router but that is highly unusual since most routers will remember their setting even after a power outage

I tried in july to connect to Slingbox, located in Norway,in Sakon Nakhon 10MB 3BB without success. Sometimes it came up just to disconnect shortly after. Hopefully this thread may get a solution to the problem

Also a timeout like the UK guy, because of the too high latency (ping times), lost packets and too many hops (due to poor routing from TOT/3BB) to Europe.

USA (much shorter distance) has usually much better ping times (delays) and a better routing, that explains why US sited boxes tend to work properly.

Or otherwise a Hardware or configuration error.

Nothing is blocked, nonsense.

Edited by Turkleton

Its not working on chrome or FF , apparently Slingbox is not supported on IE according to Slingbox website??

it does not work with my VPN either,, It has now been reset 4 times by my dad in uk but he does not know how to reset ports etc ,, i asked my cousin to login to it using my details he is currently in Shanghai , it works for him , I tried logging into his slingbox in UK and also cannot , so must be a problem at Thai end with TOT router??? but i am getting fast downloads from my remote 4 TB server in Uk over the same connection ???

I have latest version of sling web player ,, and still nothing

i want to watch the football

Edited by liddelljohn

I would bet the port forwarding is not correct. I had this issue where anyone in the usa could connect to my fl based box but it wouldn't work in thailand. once the forwarding was correct problem solved. FYI my box is on a timer and shuts off for 20 minutes daily.

• Like 1

Looks like someone has messed with the TOT router here as cannot login the router passwords seem to have been changed ,

last time i was in the condo it worked OK ,and no one has been in here ???

may have to do a default reset and check port 5001 is activated

oh dear this is bad ,, reset the router ,, but no passwords work not even the defaults and now ,No internet or connection to router possible ,, been trying to connect to it for past hour , wont accept the wireless password anymore , the wireless connection wont respond and using direct connection by cable its lost all connection back to TOT ,

whole thing is cocked up , my wife is furious as we have lost internet ,she uses it for work.,

Iam using my true 3g phone at present to get internet

It is the router in the Slingbox location that effects the stream here in Thailand. Your router not working here in Thailand is a whole different issue

Have you tried a factory re-set ?

To do a factory reset you must insert a small pointed object like a pen or bent paper clip into the very small hole in the back of the router, hold it in for at least 10 seconds and then reset your user name and password. You should find that information on the box that your router came in from TOT (at least that is where my information is located for my TP-Link router issued by TOT)

What port forwarding is here in Thailand has absolutely no effect on your Slingbox located in the UK. If you won't believe me, maybe you will believe the folks who make it:

Your home network is like a small community. Normally, the entrances (the ports) to your home network are closed to anything from the Internet that tries to get through on your home network. These entrances are kept closed by the guard (your router's firewall).

When you enable port forwarding (sometimes called port mapping), your router opens one of these entrances only to those that have the proper "key." In this case, the SlingPlayer wants to enter. To make sure that the entrance is open only to the right people and to limit their access, SlingPlayer forwards the unique Slingbox ID, along with your Slingbox password. When this forwarded information gets to your router, it opens the entrance (the port).

In other words, it is a specific connection between specific devices using a specific port.

That's port forwarding in a nutshell!

Important thing to remember: It is only necessary to set up port forwarding on the router on your home network. There is no need to make any changes on the away-from-home network you're using to watch your TV (such as the network at a hotel, at work, at a coffee shop, etc.) If you have port forwarding set up correctly on your router at home, you should be good to go.

Source:

http://support.slingbox.com/sitecore/content/Support/KB/KB-2000026?sc_lang=en-US

Here is another web site that has many tips and tricks about The Slingbox, as well as other "place shifting devices"

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/

What port forwarding is here in Thailand has absolutely no effect on your Slingbox located in the UK. If you won't believe me, maybe you will believe the folks who make it:

Your home network is like a small community. Normally, the entrances (the ports) to your home network are closed to anything from the Internet that tries to get through on your home network. These entrances are kept closed by the guard (your router's firewall).

When you enable port forwarding (sometimes called port mapping), your router opens one of these entrances only to those that have the proper "key." In this case, the SlingPlayer wants to enter. To make sure that the entrance is open only to the right people and to limit their access, SlingPlayer forwards the unique Slingbox ID, along with your Slingbox password. When this forwarded information gets to your router, it opens the entrance (the port).

In other words, it is a specific connection between specific devices using a specific port.

That's port forwarding in a nutshell!

Important thing to remember: It is only necessary to set up port forwarding on the router on your home network. There is no need to make any changes on the away-from-home network you're using to watch your TV (such as the network at a hotel, at work, at a coffee shop, etc.) If you have port forwarding set up correctly on your router at home, you should be good to go.

Source:

http://support.slingbox.com/sitecore/content/Support/KB/KB-2000026?sc_lang=en-US

Here is another web site that has many tips and tricks about The Slingbox, as well as other "place shifting devices"

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/

Although that is basically correct you should not need to mess with the ports on the receiving end. I actually block the 5001 tcp port on the receive. This in turn forces you're box to work in udp/snatt as opposed to tcp which i have found necessary in thailand to eliminate stuttering and disconnects.

i tried logging in from a fast internet cafe and still same problem ....

port 5001 is activated in UK end I set it up months ago ,,,,my cousin is able to login to my slingbox from china again okay today , but all i get in pattaya is ''not connected signal or no internet'' even though i am logged in to slingplayer UK ..

I think its time to give up on this useless machine ,,i hve spent enough time on it . its only making me angry now ,,i can log into my remote 4 Tb data server on same UK network . has to be a Slingbox issue ...

this morning I called TOT and asked them to reset and check my ADSL line

10 minutes later HEY PRESTO I can connect to my Slingbox in UK

Dunno what the problem was ,, but now after 2 weeks all is working fine ?????

problem was here but what ???

Now watching UK TV with good bandwidth

this morning I called TOT and asked them to reset and check my ADSL line

10 minutes later HEY PRESTO I can connect to my Slingbox in UK

Dunno what the problem was ,, but now after 2 weeks all is working fine ?????

problem was here but what ???

Now watching UK TV with good bandwidth

• Like 1

i tried logging in from a fast internet cafe and still same problem ....

port 5001 is activated in UK end I set it up months ago ,,,,my cousin is able to login to my slingbox from china again okay today , but all i get in pattaya is ''not connected signal or no internet'' even though i am logged in to slingplayer UK ..

I think its time to give up on this useless machine ,,i hve spent enough time on it . its only making me angry now ,,i can log into my remote 4 Tb data server on same UK network . has to be a Slingbox issue ...

If you want to confirm that (and dismiss a local issue) I don't mind giving you guest access to my Slingbox to see if that works? PM me if it's do-able.

• Like 1