Thai PBS replaces programme host Nattaya after NCPO's tough stance

Lite Beer

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There is nothing wrong with your television. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are now in control of the transmission. We control the horizontal and the vertical. We can deluge you with a thousand channels, or expand one single image to crystal clarity and beyond. We can shape your vision to anything our imagination can conceive. For the next hour, we will control all that you see and hear."

• Like 2

Way to go dear general. That pesky presentator didn't get the message and tricked innocent and above all happy Thais with questons intended to provoke negative remarks about the junta. We cannot have that, as according to the polls 93% of Thais are happy.

We cannot have people with opposing views being put on televison for all to see, it would do serious damage to your propaganda <deleted>.

May I suggest sending the pesky presentator to your indoctrination camp so she can learn how to be happy ?

• Like 2

Freedom of speech is one thing but I think laws should be put in place to insure responsible journalism as well. Having anyone in the media spewing blatant lies to skew the facts in the hopes of furthering someones agenda should not be tolerated. These people should be responsible for what they say. I remember back in the 70's in North America, there were laws in place like this. Where are they now? There does not seem to be any responsibility in journalism anymore. Who do you trust???

well it is obvious that if the show is critical of the process and the current situation rather than encouraging or offering productive ideas about the reform process then it has no place on any media, we have had enough of divisive factions and propaganda running loose on Thai TV - there is a reform process that is moving forward - lets stick to the program like it or not

The show asked questions and responses were given honestly by citizens. What you put forth is nothing short of allowing only one voice. Been there before, haven't we? And in several countries it continues. I continue to hope for better got the Thai people but am mindful of their past. Thailand has also been through this many times. Listen to only those who agree or are afraid and you sow the seeds of your own distruction. Has to be a middle way between " do what we say" and open fighting in the streets. I was hopeful but the way things are going...well, Thailand has done this before.

well it is obvious that if the show is critical of the process and the current situation rather than encouraging or offering productive ideas about the reform process then it has no place on any media, we have had enough of divisive factions and propaganda running loose on Thai TV - there is a reform process that is moving forward - lets stick to the program like it or not

Yeah, criticism can't be tolerated. Look what televised criticism and protest did to the last government. Better to stick to a program of martial law and censorship.

• Like 1

Freedom of speech is one thing but I think laws should be put in place to insure responsible journalism as well. Having anyone in the media spewing blatant lies to skew the facts in the hopes of furthering someones agenda should not be tolerated. These people should be responsible for what they say. I remember back in the 70's in North America, there were laws in place like this. Where are they now? There does not seem to be any responsibility in journalism anymore. Who do you trust???

I also am very unhappy with media these days. In chasing advertising revenue based on viewership, it appears the sensationalist, often misleading headlines cause undue agitation. I support free speech but, as a U.S. Supreme Court Justice pointed out, there are responsible restrictions on this and other " rights".

" .... activists criticising the coup in response to provocative questions."

Did you people not bother to read that part ?.

And are you not able to comprehend that Prayuth is trying to achieve reconciliation which will be impossible with red-shirt's trying to stick a knife in anywhere they can ?.

If Pheu-Thai had even tried for reconciliation Thailand would not be in this mess. They (and you) deserve everything which happened.

What kind of reconciliation would have satisfied Suthap and his followers other than total capitulation?

It's also worth noting that in countries with a free press and freedom of speech (not Thailand), provocative questions are a routine part of journalism and criticism of the government is permitted.

As far as Prayuth's attempts to achieve reconciliation using all the usual forms of repression, not everyone is as enthusiastic about it as you are.

• Like 2

I think you lost a lot more that just "3 days" on your "whiskey diet", like it or not.

There is no "e" in Real whisky......blink.png

• Like 2

Reap what you sow - and certain people said it would be different this time, just give it time.

Just how much time do you need, before it finally sinks in?.........................................coffee1.gif

Well the PTP had 3 years and always wanted more time.

Also under the PTP all the Red shirt radio and TV stations were pumping out propaganda at full power including the hundreds of them without a licence to broadcast and they weren't shut down but that of course was because they were supporting the Red Shirts line.

Paycheck has been sent to you already. Thanks. Best regards. Junta

Excellent response.Still one has to wonder at the interesting suggestion from this genius that Thai TV is now somehow free of propaganda when it is awash with nauseating tonnages of it.

Sadly, it looks like there will be no real reforms any time soon. But this is the army's last chance of getting it right. They don't have much support in the north, and support in the south is eroding. Support among young urbanites will also erode fast, if they can't keep their promises or show proof of real progress.

• Like 1

I think you lost a lot more that just "3 days" on your "whiskey diet", like it or not.

There is no "e" in Real whisky......blink.png

Can be spelled either way--- http://www.thekitchn.com/whiskey-vs-whisky-whats-the-di-100476

To see blatant lies in the media, one does not have to look any further than the daily "understanding" propaganda news stories. So is lying ok as long as they are the "right" lies?

• Like 2

Sadly, it looks like there will be no real reforms any time soon. But this is the army's last chance of getting it right. They don't have much support in the north, and support in the south is eroding. Support among young urbanites will also erode fast, if they can't keep their promises or show proof of real progress.

You are right - They have no support in the North, Northeast and the 3 Deep South provinces. Whatever they will do will be only for the support of the Bangkok elite and the influential figures from the tourist ghettos/provinces.

No reforms will come up. In 6 months their has been no meaningful reforms and he wants to give back power to the people in 13 months.

Their will be no elections in the next 2-3 years. Thai coup leaders are known to plunder the country and I don't think this general is any different then the other 19 generals that have run this country. THAI Airways is a typical example how it has been plundered by the army.

• Like 2

"The decision to replace her came after a group of military officers requested that the show be pulled off the air, citing an order from their "bosses" in the NCPO." Anybody still have doubts on whether this a country under a style of leadership beginning with a 'D'? and I do not mean democracy....

Edited by Alwyn
  • Like 1

Censorship of the press. A sign of the times and it does not bode well for the future.

even under the last so called democratically elected/purchased government there was no censorship deficit. active(influence), passive, or self censorship or that related to defamation suits.

You know I never believed the coup hype which seemingly cracked down on extreme redshirt activists temporarily.

I think people who temporarily supported such action will think twice, whether it was too early to give our dear Interim PM the credits... ' cause there will always be consequences In disguise, such as these censorship of opinion just now....

The point here is, it nothing more than populist policy's in disguise vs populist policy of the opposition party in disguise, whoever controls the media controls the masses. Therefore neither party will ever give a damn about the good for the people of thailand, neither freedom of opinion, nor thinking different evolving.

They manipulate their followers, and screw them backstabbing over, amazing thainocracy

Edited by MaxLee

'......It came after Nattaya hosted the programme in Songkhla, with villagers and activists criticising the coup in response to provocative questions."

Uncanny isn't it , only 7% of Thais unhappy with the Junta and Thai PBS manage to find them, in Songklah of all places

• Like 2

" .... activists criticising the coup in response to provocative questions."

Did you people not bother to read that part ?.

And are you not able to comprehend that Prayuth is trying to achieve reconciliation which will be impossible with red-shirt's trying to stick a knife in anywhere they can ?.

If Pheu-Thai had even tried for reconciliation Thailand would not be in this mess. They (and you) deserve everything which happened.

I'm not sure you're being serious. If you are, then I can only assume that you have a learning or mental disability, so I shall refrain from getting into an argument with you.

• Like 1