Russian Woman injured in attempted armed bag snatch in South Pattaya

Lite Beer

Please...do not let this one isolated incident cause a rash of Thai bashing...everyone knows things are getting better for tourists in LOS...

Kudos to the young Russian lady for fighting off the would be Thai thug...I understand they are still looking for the boyfriend who was last seen running away from the altercation...

I don't think it was so smart to fight back but I guess it's instinct. The authorities usually say give them what they want to avoid further injury or worse.

I guess the comment about the bf was a joke, was he Thai?

Police can't be everywhere and the key part of the story was that the guy was caught.

Its true they cannot, but they can do little more than nothing.

As i type i am watching 9 police doing the road block/checks, on 3 road, which they have been doing every single day from morning to late night.

While all 9 of them are busy issuing tickets on 1 side of the road, the other side have people running red light, blocking intersections, doing illegal uturns just to name a few.

Yes the thief was caught, its great, but how many do not get caught.

Pattaya is trying boost its image and Thailand promoting itself as a safe holiday destination.

This kind of experience does not exactly help, and while for many of us living here, we realize it is not as often or as scary as it appears, for a first time tourist, its enough to scare them off and tell all their friends.

There must be more police presents patrolling the streets, NOT only issuing tickets.

There must be harsher punishments for offenders, a few hundred baht fines do not deter them from doing it again.

And the last sentence sums it up--without the deterrent of harsh punishments then there is no disincentive to keep breaking laws.

The occasional purse snatching can not be stopped. It is not possible to enforce every crime before it happens--this is true not just in Thailand but the world over. But how many times do we read about purse snatchers never being caught and how many times do we see a photo of a victim pointing at the purse snatcher after an arrest?

The fact is there is a very high arrest rate in Thailand for crimes against tourists. The police are identifying perps and there are positive ID's being made. Then the news drops the story and we never learn what the penalty or fine was and we never learn if the sentence was served or the fine paid.

This is the major part of the breakdown -- the sentencing and punishment phase. Why? I don't know. Is it because it costs alot of money to house and feed inmates? Is it that Thai culture does not feel long incarcerations are fair to the family when a wage earner is removed from the family? Is it that they have short memory spans?

BTW, if it takes 9 traffic cops to do an effective job on one side of the street then it will take 18 to do both sides.

Police can't be everywhere and the key part of the story was that the guy was caught.

Its true they cannot, but they can do little more than nothing.

As i type i am watching 9 police doing the road block/checks, on 3 road, which they have been doing every single day from morning to late night.

While all 9 of them are busy issuing tickets on 1 side of the road, the other side have people running red light, blocking intersections, doing illegal uturns just to name a few.

Yes the thief was caught, its great, but how many do not get caught.

Pattaya is trying boost its image and Thailand promoting itself as a safe holiday destination.

This kind of experience does not exactly help, and while for many of us living here, we realize it is not as often or as scary as it appears, for a first time tourist, its enough to scare them off and tell all their friends.

There must be more police presents patrolling the streets, NOT only issuing tickets.

There must be harsher punishments for offenders, a few hundred baht fines do not deter them from doing it again.

When a police force lacks training, equipment, commitment, competent leadership and a mission statement to protect and to serve, it may well display it's prowess by superficial displays such as ticketing errant drivers and checkpoints.

I've yet to see any regular patrol of my neighborhood such as is common place in many other places where a professional and well trained force exists. The pickup trucks that drive with overhead flashing lights seem to be mere eye-candy that announces that "they" are out and about.

I've yet to see any spot lights on these vehicles for checking darkened areas when on "patrol" or any static or mobile radar to catch the nuts that drive unsafely on roads that have no posted speed limits.

Community policing, accountability to the public and local control seems to be lacking in these regions. What a sad state indeed.

I don't think the courts require radar to prove that an accused speeder was speeding. In fact, it is not a requirement in the US either.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't agree.

The "key" part of the story is this was another "knife-mugging".

You are right. I doubt it would have been in the news had he got away.

For me the key part of the story is the bravery of the woman.

Secondly, that yet again in the Pratumnak area an armed bag snatch was attempted.

I also feel that there needs to be more uniformed police presence in town.

This kind of crime is happening all to frequently.

And because there is virtually no Police presence anywhere on the streets, it will go on happening again and again and again.

Regarding "police presence;" does anyone who what the excuse is for the lack of police on the streets? This extends to driving also. Why are there not police cars or motorcycles on the streets enforcing laws as they are in other countries?

I know the standard answers to these questions, but what do the police say is the reason?

• Like 1

And because there is virtually no Police presence anywhere on the streets, it will go on happening again and again and again.

Regarding "police presence;" does anyone who what the excuse is for the lack of police on the streets? This extends to driving also. Why are there not police cars or motorcycles on the streets enforcing laws as they are in other countries?

I know the standard answers to these questions, but what do the police say is the reason?

Silly question.:)

Enforcing the law does not make any money and requires some vigilance and work

And what does police say? Another silly question.

Police makes press conferences stating they combating crime and very successful

Edited by konying

Seriously? Traffic police are a money-spinner for every government. They bring in far more in fines than they cost to run.

The profit could finance the uniformed non-traffic police, and there would still be plenty left over.

You obviously don't know much about the operating costs vs the income generated from traffic fines.

If you did then you would not be making such statements because it is patently false.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/driving-citation-statistics/

I see no reason why the statistics in Thailand should not be in the same proportion as those, allowing for the difference in the cost of living.

Perhaps the fact that the average monthly salary in Thailand is approx. 10 times lower is a valid reason? Besides, the laws are different, there is a lot more corruption etc. It's not that easy to apply US statistics to Thailand.

#sarcasm ON

There is a great idea...let's have Thai police doing car chases

#sarcasm OFF

One of the worst things that happened to 'policing' in USA, was taking cops off the beat and putting them in cars, insulated from the community.