A Horrific accident in Khon Kaen

Costas2008

Yesterday a horrific accident occurred in the Khon Kaen, Nong Rear District.

An ambulance, from Sri Nakharin hospital, Khon Kaen, after they left a patient at Phu Weang district hospital were returning to Sri Nakharin when they collided with a truck.

Apparently, the ambulance tried to overtake a lorry but the truck was coming the other way so they hit each other.

The driver of the ambulance died and the accompanying nurse has been injured.

Haven’t seen that reported on TVF, but if it has you are free to lock this thread.

post-71107-0-85966800-1416031186_thumb.j

post-71107-0-80168000-1416031216_thumb.j

post-71107-0-63267800-1416031248_thumb.j

Id avoid these "so called" ambulances at all cost if you can.......told the Wife if Im ill take me in the car, dont worry about the blood n guts on the upholstery!

Overtaking in Thailand is always the complete opposite of how I was taught and once they do overtake they do so with minimal acceleration and take forever.

When I speak with my parents I tell them I see accidents like this every time I drive BKK to Pranburi, accidents you rarely see in the UK, accidents with cars demolished, upside down, head ons, lack of attention.

Our local copper tells me they have had 50 fatalities at the U Turn opposite our road in 10 years..............one of Thailands many U turn spots, an awful road design if ever I saw one.

do you pay him for these opportunities??

what makes this head-on as compared to the hundreds of others in thailand so noteworthy?

Off the top of my head I'd guess the ambulance driver had been to the scene of many traffic accidents and had carried the victims to hospital.

That he doesn't seem to have learnt to drive responsibly, after seeing so much carnage on Thai roads, is particularly noteworthy.

I opened this thread to show people the dangers these ambulance people go through in their effort to save other people lives.

Also to make aware others to try and allow the ambulances to go through traffic, something I don't see often in Thailand.

They are risking their lives all day in this mad driving country to save another persons life.

Yet still driving in the way they know kills..............thats the mystifying part?

what makes this head-on as compared to the hundreds of others in thailand so noteworthy?

Off the top of my head I'd guess the ambulance driver had been to the scene of many traffic accidents and had carried the victims to hospital.

That he doesn't seem to have learnt to drive responsibly, after seeing so much carnage on Thai roads, is particularly noteworthy.

I opened this thread to show people the dangers these ambulance people go through in their effort to save other people lives.

Also to make aware others to try and allow the ambulances to go through traffic, something I don't see often in Thailand.

They are risking their lives all day in this mad driving country to save another persons life.

According to your post, patient was dropped off at hospital and the ambulance was empty, ie no patients. So, why the rush ? I am sorry but these kinds of ambulances drive like dicks and do not go through driver training. This is not the first time this has happened nor the last. Thankfully the nurse is ok and Darwinism removed this guy before he killed someone. Sorry. wai.gif

• Like 2

Praiseworthy intentions, but surely you know by now that anything of this sort will be just one more opportunity for Thai bashing. Accidents never occur anywhere else in the world ... or so some people think. Whoever was at fault, the loss of life of the driver of the "so called ambulance" is a sad thing and somewhere a son, brother, father is being mourned.

Praiseworthy intentions, but surely you know by now that anything of this sort will be just one more opportunity for Thai bashing. Accidents never occur anywhere else in the world ... or so some people think. Whoever was at fault, the loss of life of the driver of the "so called ambulance" is a sad thing and somewhere a son, brother, father is being mourned.

You're right, this pure Thai bashing, deadly accidents happen all over the world.

In my home country there was even a first page article a few days ago that some strict measures had to be taken to prevent the 521 deadly accident on the highway..............between 2009 and 2013.

Any idea about the Thai figures ?

Edited by Anthony5
  • Like 1

Id avoid these "so called" ambulances at all cost if you can.......told the Wife if Im ill take me in the car, dont worry about the blood n guts on the upholstery!

Overtaking in Thailand is always the complete opposite of how I was taught and once they do overtake they do so with minimal acceleration and take forever.

When I speak with my parents I tell them I see accidents like this every time I drive BKK to Pranburi, accidents you rarely see in the UK, accidents with cars demolished, upside down, head ons, lack of attention.

Our local copper tells me they have had 50 fatalities at the U Turn opposite our road in 10 years..............one of Thailands many U turn spots, an awful road design if ever I saw one.

Yes it has to be said that these u turns fast lane to fast lane probably take many lives per day in thailand. they are the cheapest option i guess and life is cheap here,

Often i begin to think its all part of a population control program.

We need a MUCH bigger YAWN icon....................."ostrich" comes to mind

Yes it has to be said that these u turns fast lane to fast lane probably take many lives per day in thailand. they are the cheapest option i guess and life is cheap here,

Often i begin to think its all part of a population control program.

And to compound the stupid design they also should stagger the left and right lane u turns, instead the left and right is combined with both blocking each others visibility of that fast lane................combined then again with the "me first" folk who drive past the queuing people waiting to U Turn to get to the front = disaster....................but as Suratwit said accidents happen everywhere right......just accidents.....no cause.......they just happen...............well glad weve sorted that out then.

Here is what I was taught about overtaking.

1. Only overtake if you can envisage the whole manouevre, to the end point, before you start and this mental picture contains no unknowns, such as blind curves, dips in the road or side turnings.

2. If point 1 is satisfied, aim to complete the overtaking manouevre as quickly as possible without compromising safety.

In Thailand, most drivers do the opposite of both points 1 & 2 as kannot astutely pointed out.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

You're right, this pure Thai bashing, deadly accidents happen all over the world.

In my home country there was even a first page article a few days ago that some strict measures had to be taken to prevent the 521 deadly accident on the highway..............between 2009 and 2013.

Any idea about the Thai figures ?

My Thai Police neighbour refers to New Year & Songkran as "population reduction exercises". The amount of accidents and road fatalities in those periods alone is staggering. So lets keep those gormless comments about accidents in other countries out of this.

Edited by phutoie2