Prayut’s plea for farmers to stop growing second rice crops

Lite Beer

The King's ideal formula ask for 1/3 of the farming land to be used for water reserve (pond) , and I can see that is not done in most fams I visited.

Anyway, the new PM is talking and acting in very big new projects, like the new train system, etc, but it is vey clear that Thailand needs a big project in water management, no only to avoid droughts, also to avoid floodings. That will be a MEGA project, but needs to be a priority over any others.

• Like 2

How about farmers suggest getting rid of half the generals (didn't I read Thailand has more generals than the US? Bit of a drain on economy). And reduce number of police (another post said has 10's of thousands more cops than comparably populated England). Counter proposals are always fun.

Thailand has more general officers per soldier than any other country in the world. And many of the general officers do not have any assignments. They were promoted as rewards or relationships.

Patronage and cronyism. They will suck the lifeblood out of any economy. It's a sad situation when the measure of success becomes: how to make the most money while doing as little as possible.

The King's ideal formula ask for 1/3 of the farming land to be used for water reserve (pond) , and I can see that is not done in most fams I visited.

Anyway, the new PM is talking and acting in very big new projects, like the new train system, etc, but it is vey clear that Thailand needs a big project in water management, no only to avoid droughts, also to avoid floodings. That will be a MEGA project, but needs to be a priority over any others.

You know how it is with the Mega Projects,... who is the highest bidder and receives the most out of it under the table and then BUST-SCREW the piss poor people in the back with fancy nancy computer presentation which lead to nothing, but nothingness-no-action-ever-intended-taken....

in other words MEGA BS-CRAP

• Like 1

What's the title of that song again, with: 'Oh please, please, don't gro-o-ow'? The farmer, any farmer, anywhere: 'Yeah, Ok, I know how much I can get when I grow, and how much will I get from you when I don't grow!? 100% mormal and justified IMO. 'Which alternatives is your Government offering to the farmers who would not grow a second crop, Mr PM?' 'Ermmm..., I will have our spokesperson come back to you as soon as possible about your question we need first to further look into that. Next question!' 'Thank you Mr PM, thank you!'

As mentioned it is not all farmers who are or will be short of water.

Around where I am a good number of farmers get their water from quite large ponds rather then from the CP river.

At present the ponds are full, harvested paddy is full of water as are the drains around the paddy.

Today I saw a farmer pumping water out of half grown paddy into a big pond because the water level is to high in his paddy.

Others are working paddy up prior to sowing, so while a second crop will be down overall it will not be cut out completely.

What? CP is owning the rivers too!? ;-))

When anyone could start thinking about implementing the principles of His Majesty the King's sufficiency theory... There's nothing (positive) in there about greed and corruption, I guess, so, na-ah! There is not a single 'but' in the sentence: 'We all love and respect His Majesty the King', the Thais speak out daily, A LOT of 'buts' though when it comes to their daily life, ...and IMHO a lot of 'butts' to be kicked, hard, when anything is ever to 'change'!

This is very quaint and takes no account of the fact that irrigation systems have been built in many bits or Thailand.

Sounds to me they need to build more dams to safe guard against situations like this.

Could you imagine if in your home country, your elected leader said the same to the farmers?

I wonder if such a call has anything to do with the rice stockpile the Government is holding. If it is, a call like this sounds unsympathetic to the needs of farmers to put food on their own tables. The Government wants to look good at their expense.

Sounds to me they need to build more dams to safe guard against situations like this.

Could you imagine if in your home country, your elected leader said the same to the farmers?

I wonder if such a call has anything to do with the rice stockpile the Government is holding. If it is, a call like this sounds unsympathetic to the needs of farmers to put food on their own tables. The Government wants to look good at their expense.

In Australia, the elected leader wouldn't need to say it. The farmers would decide by themselves that there wouldn't be enough water to grow a second crop.

Just what Thailand needs more rice, but the farmers will go

ahead and try to grow more,if it dies through lack of water,

they will go crying to the Government looking for compensation.

and most likely get it !

regards Worgeordie

mister 500 million baht is going to tell the poor dirt farmers they cannot try to earn some money

thailand... you must love it

If the poor farmers don't realise that they will lose more money by planting a failed rice crop, then maybe they should be dirt farmers.

For those saying that there is enough water where they are, then there shouldn't be a problem planting a crop. The General was probably only referring to farmers using water from the main irrigation dams.

Ayutthaya the water is lower than usual but still plenty of it

Why don't they do the same as the EU. Remember they paid the farmer for NOT breeding pigs (x amount for each pig) So a clever farmer from the UK wrote and said OK I shall not breed 10,000 pigs.

MOST (farmers) are self supporting they grow it to feed themselves so the PM was not referring to them in general. He was asking the bigger guys with mega land.