Honey baked ham at home

ezzra

Why would it be different to bake it in Thailand? I suppose as with other foods such as bacon the whole style could vary by country.

In the US honey baked ham is actually basted with a sauce that is 2/3 brown sugar and 1/3 honey. The sauce is cooked in a sauce pan until the sugar melts.

The ham is roasted to 1/2 way done to open pores before the glaze is added. It takes about 20 minutes per 1/2 kilo of ham to finish, but a meat thermometer is the way to go. It's done at 160 F - 71 C. Baking temp is 350 F - 180 C.

When the ham is about 1/2 way cooked, baste with sauce and then keep basting again about every 20 minutes and you have it.

• Like 2

You could always cheat and get Sloane's to ship one to you @ B700/kg On that same vein he has roasting joints @ B350/kg and I know he ships all over Thailand as we've just seen a photo of a 5kg Porchetta in Nakhon Nowhere on Facebook :)

Sorry if this seems like an advert but I'm just getting my Christmas shopping lists together. Bunter's and Sloane's make up nearly all my meat order (bar the goose from Foodland).

• Like 1

Where do you get this huge piece of pork hock that you need to start with? all the how to do

sites show that you need to start with a smoked ready pork hock as large as 5-7 pounder,

can a hone baked ham be made with any other type of pork cuts like loin or shoulder?

you can give gourmet meats a ring here in korat.

smoked ham on the bone,or sliced or a whole leg bone less all at 428bht.a kilo.

tel.no.o44-007-639 or 087-9593931

make up a glaze honey and mustard score the ham and let it rest a few days.

Bake ham 30 minutes per pound. So if you have a 5 pound ham, that's 2 1/2 hours at about 350 F.

How you cook it gives you variations that are all tasty.

1. Basic ham just put water in the roaster about 1/3 to 1/2 of the ham and bake covered uncover the last 1/2 hour or so.

2. Honey ham is about the same with the water and a cup or more of honey.

3. Honey Orange ham is about equal honey and orange juice. I use a couple frozen concentrate.

4. Honey Apricot has the same as above with apricot jelly or jam. Your choice of fruit is your own.

5. Honey Honey or other fruit pulled ham....Fantastic! Cook at 350 F for about 3 hours then 10 hours at about 200F. Add water as needed. Cook until it falls apart then let cool and pick it apart by hand. Let the meat soak up the juice. Sandwiches, Empanadas, with rice and any other way you want to eat it.

Always cook the ham with the bone. Bone has flavor and can be used to make excorcist soup (split pea soup) I always add a package of split yello mung beans a couple carrots and onion cut very fine. Add the big pieces of fat for more flavor and give it to the dog after the soup is done.

The bone is also good for any other kind of soup. After the bone is mostly used give that to the dog as well.

I normally make my own ham, bacon, sausages etc at home and I don't have a "proper oven" just a cranky fan assisted oven that I bought several years ago at Makro..

What I do is get my wife to ask the pork lady at the local market for the cuts I want and they will turn up after she calls her supplier. The reason for that is out in rural Thailand the loclas buy the cheaper cuts of pork so that is what the pork lady carries normally.

If it is of any help to you I have attached drawings of pigs and a couple of recipes which may help as well.

post-5614-0-40484600-1416204563_thumb.jp post-5614-0-25821300-1416204591_thumb.jp

pork cuts v05.doc

Honey and mustard roast gammon v01.doc

Honey Mustard Glazed Smoked Gammon.doc

Draftvader,

Can you supply Sloanes email, or phone number? I've searched google and just found articles regarding their company.

Many thanks,

You could always cheat and get Sloane's to ship one to you @ B700/kg On that same vein he has roasting joints @ B350/kg and I know he ships all over Thailand as we've just seen a photo of a 5kg Porchetta in Nakhon Nowhere on Facebook smile.png

Sorry if this seems like an advert but I'm just getting my Christmas shopping lists together. Bunter's and Sloane's make up nearly all my meat order (bar the goose from Foodland).