Are Thai Steam website purchases region locked?

damole

I once bought a copy of Portal 2 in India, a retail DVD box which came with a Steam key. I installed it on my Steam account but it will only play when I am in India as described on the box. I haven't successfully tried using a VPN yet.

I have now created a Thai Paypal account so I can buy games at THB prices on the Thai Steam website but I'm wondering if they will only play in Thailand.

Anybody else bought games here and played them elsewhere?

--damole

some of the games are only playable in certain countries in south east asia

some of them are only able to be activated in such countries

and to add on top of that, some of them are doing both

as far as buying games on the steam storefront, I am not the best person to ask cause.. well.. it's FAR cheaper to trade, I haven't bought anything on the storefront for years now

but. you can lookup on steamdb (google it).

as an example, my Wolfenstein - The New Order game is the south east asia one

steamdb.info/sub/41640/

it contains the following info:

This item is only purchasable in HK,CN,KR,TW,MY,BN,TH,PH,MO,SG,ID.

This item can not be run in Germany, Austria.

Cross region trading and gifting is disabled for this item.

means you can only be purchased/activated it in these countries. but will work fine anywhere in the world.

however, something like Call of Duty Advanced Warfare has this for the RU version

steamdb.info/sub/52608/

This item is only purchasable in Russian Federation, Belarus, Ukraine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Republic of, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan.

This item can only be run in Russian Federation, Belarus, Ukraine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Republic of, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan.

can only be purchased in those countries and would only work in those countries

using VPN for steam activations/launching is against their rules. account could be banned. people still do it tho, i'd rather not risk a ban myself.

I just bumped into a Steam/PayPal/Thailand issue. Apparently, Steam will not accept a PayPal payment from Thailand unless the funds are already in the account vs. PayPal being auto-funded by a credit-card.

They accepted a PP payment from the same account before, but not now.

For me, not worth jumping through hoops for a payment of less than Bt 100.

Thanks kekalot for your details reply. I also created a support ticket on Steam, and the reply said it should be clear on the product page as you have shown.

I just bought Toybox Turbos from the Thai Steam Website for 315Bt, £11.99 on the UK site. I didn't have any funds in my Thai Paypal account and I received an SMS immediately telling me the money has been debited from my Kasikorn Shopping card.

After reading the post by 'damole' >> same result.

"Your purchase has not been completed. Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company.
Note that in some cases, your credit card company may put a 'hold' on funds in your account, but you will not be charged. After correcting any errors in the information displayed below, please try your purchase again."
But the message came from Steam, not from Paypal. I did check the "I'm in Thailand" box. Maybe that the reason.
I have a BKK Bank Platinum CC (not a debit card) with a significant limit that I'm not even close to exceeding ..
And, just used PayPal to pay for a domain rennewal.