Taking Thai language classes a total waste of time and money.

flyingsaucersarereal

Ok so here's my thing I have lived here in Thailand for 4 years and I see many Farang that take Thai language classes.

They study for many years and I seem to know far more then them with no formal training at all.

Sure they might be able to write Thai a little better but when it comes down to actual speaking to the locals there Thai language skills are pathetic.

I am not a genius with languages I just find that self study and talking with the locals is far more effective then shelling out loads of money to learn Thai.

This is not only with Thai language lessons I taught myself to play the guitar and piano with no formal training and see others paying lots of money to music teachers with minimal results.

I guess you can get a visa out of it but other than that just teach yourself its better than paying loads of money to learn nothing.

How is it possible that some people can study Thai for 5 years or more and know so little?

Edited by flyingsaucersarereal

I dont think he is boasting. What he is saying i also feel is quite true. I know many who have attended years of coaching and can read and write but cannot communicate. On the other hand there are others who have never attended a class but learnt very well from talking to others and then learning the alphabets.

I speak, read and write Thai.

Never went to a language school.

But we are all different. Some maybe good at languages, while others may be good at numbers. So, learn Thai takes different time and efforts depending on each of us.

However, if most of the people "studying" Thai in this country don't put much effort in their studies, it is because they "go to school" only to get a visa.

Personally I also think that going to school to learn Thai is a waste of money. But some people need a teacher because they don't have the discipline to learn by themselves.

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

Will I agree with op I have been trying to lean thai for the last 5 years have been to thai school back home in Australia and it was good to start there and now I lean by my self and I thing I am ok when it comes to talking thai I can read very little and wright the same very little but it did help going to thai school off and on for the last 4 years .

My thai is very clear as I am told by thai people but I talk Greek very good and that has help talk thai clear as Greeks talk with there Tongue like thais .

The difference between you and those stupid farangs is that when they speak others understand, while when you speak, you the only one who understandsthumbsup.gif

+

And when they speak it sounds like an educated Thai, even if the skills aren't perfect. While learning it on the go it sounds like the taxi driver, homemaid, market women or bar girl.....

Putting that aside out esteem OP would not have a clue about any tones , ie people have no clue if he wants spicy or a duck, nor does he know when it's an "r" or "l"

I bet you think you also sing great in the shower, eh op!

Sure, some folks pick up languages as they go, but many people need the incentive and also may not have the self-discipline to see it through on their tod. I've met taught and self-taught Thai speakers, some great, others crud, but suggesting classes are a total waste of time is a bit puerile, no? I think to get it on the nose, one would need to be around a well-spoken Thai national, learning to read & write first, only then bolstered by talking to people on the street. Get the grammar and correct basics in place first, then supplement with trashy, slang street speak to cover all occasions. It is possible you have progressed to the latter first. giggle.gif

• Like 1

The difference between you and those stupid farangs is that when they speak others understand, while when you speak, you the only one who understandsthumbsup.gif

not even close Jr.

In your opinion?

I know many Farang that have taken Thai lessons for the same length of time that I have been staying in Thailand. I speak better than them that is a fact! I am not perfect with everything but do know more than most.

Totally immersing yourself in the language is the best way to learn.

Don't hang out in tourist areas where the locals can speak English go somewhere were no English is spoken it will force you to learn Thai.

I find that many Farang go to Thai school then go out and speak English to the locals in Bangkok or Pattaya.

Force yourself to speak Thai in almost every situation.

I am just turned off by the way schools spend too much time on writing the same way music teachers spend too much time with reading music it is not necessary to speak or to play a instrument.

The Beatles couldn't read music and turned out to be a pretty decent band.

• Like 1

Hang on, are you saying if you don't take Thai language class, no one will understand??

Surely you don't mean that cause that would be ridiculous.

Hang on, are you saying if you don't take Thai language class, no one will understand??

You can learn by taking lessons but also from self study. I feel that taking lessons is like having a personal trainer for weight lifting.

You don't need a personal trainer to get in shape but more for motivation lazy people take lessons because they are not able to be self motivated.

+

And when they speak it sounds like an educated Thai, even if the skills aren't perfect. While learning it on the go it sounds like the taxi driver, homemaid, market women or bar girl.....

Putting that aside out esteem OP would not have a clue about any tones , ie people have no clue if he wants spicy or a duck, nor does he know when it's an "r" or "l"

See that's also a bit ridiculous.

My Thai is pretty average but even I can order duck spicy or not.

And to compare some who have jobs you consider as uneducated is really below the belt.

not even close Jr.
In your opinion?

I know many Farang that have taken Thai lessons for the same length of time that I have been staying in Thailand. I speak better than them that is a fact! I am not perfect with everything but do know more than most.

Again in your opinion?

+

See that's also a bit ridiculous.

My Thai is pretty average but even I can order duck spicy or not.

And to compare some who have jobs you consider as uneducated is really below the belt.

Ha ha, now it's pretty clear how good your thai is.

Duck and spicy is the same word in thai , only different tones

Edited by konying

Considering your other post, you have your answer

I would not say that taking Thai classes is a waste of time, but it is quite expensive and a lot of learning you have to do for yourself anyway.

I started to learn Thai 4 month ago. My strategy is:

1. I learn vocabularies with ANKI (available for Windows, Android and IPhone)

Even if you take classes you have to learn vocabularies by yourself.

I don’t learn the tone rules because they are very complicated and even most Thais don’t know them. I try to remember the tones together with the word. In most cases the meaning of the word will be understandable from the context.

1. I learn the Thai letters by the internet and exercise reading every day.

A teacher cannot help you with this. You need to learn and exercise by yourself.

1. I study the grammar from different websites and online books. There is not plenty of grammar in Thai and a lot grammar is without clear rules. You need to get a feeling for the language. This you can only archive by reading, and talking every day. Of cause a teacher can help you with this, but if you are living in Thailand you have everywhere native Thai speakers around you and you can talk with them. Try to find some good educated person that wants talk with you or wants a language exchange. You can ask this person if you have some questions too.

I also copied many sample sentences to ANKI and exercise them.

1. Try to listen Thai radio and TV
  2. Read street and company signs

Everybody must find his own way. It is possible to learn Thai without a school if you are living in Thailand. Thai is quite difficult and it will take me probably more 2 years to speak reasonable Thai. It also depends on your age and discipline.

• Like 1

So spicy in Thai is prik.

Duck is bet.

How are they the same word but different tones?

So spicy in Thai is prik.

Duck is bet.

How are they the same word but different tones?

เผ็ด is spicy

เป็ด is duck.

If you can read Thai you will see why they are different tones.

Was in a bar once and some guy couldnt understand why the girl wanted to know where to send the elephant to, the guy was trying to order two beer chang, to him he thought song chang was how to order.