'Indonesia will not join US-led coalition against IS'

webfact

Indonesia has an army?

Yes, a very large one, and the latest in fighter aircraft.

However, the non-interest in ISIS just might have something to do with the fact that Indonesia is 85% Muslim.

Can you please give a link to their fighter aircraft? I'm unaware that they have any. Sorry, I'm not making a claim, I just can't find a credible reference where they do. With the size of their military they probably do, and I'd like to know what they are. Thanks.

They do have 4 Boeing Apache helicopters.

Indonesia military are orientated to a defence posture, not external force projection. Indo currently plans to have 180 combat airfraft by 2024, but this goal is questioned based upon funding availability.

In 2011, the US agreed to sell 24 used F-16 Block 25 fighter aircraft for US $700 million. As part of the deal, the US will upgrade the fighter jets to Block 52, to include supplying 18 air-to-ground missiles and 36 captive air training missiles. The two squadrons of F-16s will join 16 Russian-made Sukhoi fighters — eight Su-27s and eight Su-30s — for the Indonesian Air Force. Another squadron of South Korean-built T-50 Golden Eagle trainer jets is scheduled to arrive in 2014.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130930/DEFREG03/309300033/Indonesia-US-Deepen-Defense-Ties-Amid-Exercises-Arms-Deals

Watching news report on Indonesia requiring female police to be virgins and subjecting them to a virginity examination that one has to read about to believe. I wondee if they have the same requirement for the army? What a bunch of little barbarian goof balls. I doubt their army has a real man in it . . ., but they have great waves so it continue to be one of my favorite places. People kinda suck, but great waves.

I think this is probably the right decision. They wouldn't add much anyway to be honest and in joining this struggle it's likely to open up another IS front in Indonesia.

Best off out of it.

My thoughts exactly, they are already dealing with a vipers nest of radicals and to go off will only exacerbate them.

The people criticising them seem to forget the bali and Jakarta bombings and they have their hands full trying to protect themselves from the radicals.

Edited by samran

Watching news report on Indonesia requiring female police to be virgins and subjecting them to a virginity examination that one has to read about to believe. I wondee if they have the same requirement for the army? What a bunch of little barbarian goof balls. I doubt their army has a real man in it . . ., but they have great waves so it continue to be one of my favorite places. People kinda suck, but great waves.

What a strange world, we, I mean THEY live in.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Indonesia has an army?

However, the non-interest in ISIS just might have something to do with the fact that Indonesia is 85% Muslim.

The Indonesian ARMY has the very latest in fighter aircraft??? I am I to understand that Indonesia does not have an Air Force? In any event you are correct about the makeup of the Indonesian population, and there are many radical islamic extremeist groups within the countrysad.png

They dont want to help , yet there hand is always out in relation to foreign aid from the Australian taxpayers ,

That should of been canned long ago.

Australia is a push over. Sad former shadow of itself.

Indonesia isn't a Cambodia where a large chunk of its budget is foreign aid receipts.

Truth be told, australian aid to Indonesia could be wound up tomorrow and the world wouldn't stop.

But, they are our closest neighbour and we have stategic interests there. Our largest embassy is there. We fund these things to protect our interests.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Indonesia has an army?

The Indonesian ARMY has the very latest in fighter aircraft??? I am I to understand that Indonesia does not have an Air Force? In any event you are correct about the makeup of the Indonesian population, and there are many radical islamic extremeist groups within the countrysad.png

Correction: The Indonesian AIR FORCE is currently taking delivery of Russian built fighters.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/indonesias-air-force-adds-more-flankers-03691/

I think this is probably the right decision. They wouldn't add much anyway to be honest and in joining this struggle it's likely to open up another IS front in Indonesia.

Best off out of it.

My thoughts exactly, they are already dealing with a vipers nest of radicals and to go off will only exacerbate them.

The people criticising them seem to forget the bali and Jakarta bombings and they have their hands full trying to protect themselves from the radicals.

Why do you think they have such a large army? It's not to protect the country from invasion. However, they moved very smartly when it came to occupying West Papua and years later, East Timor.

Yes, they do have radicals who are about as level-headed as the current ISIS mob, but remember, there are Aussies and Brits joining them as well, even though it's illegal.

Some years ago a few boatloads of radicals were sent to AMBON which is mainly Christian, and it was a real bloodbath there. The Govt. said they had nothing to do with it.

Indonesia has an army?

Yeah, I am seeing about 25 SU 27/30s and F 16s combined. Sorry, they could not fight their way out of a wet paper bag with a hole already in it.

Best off out of it.

Why do you think they have such a large army? It's not to protect the country from invasion. However, they moved very smartly when it came to occupying West Papua and years later, East Timor.

Yes, they do have radicals who are about as level-headed as the current ISIS mob, but remember, there are Aussies and Brits joining them as well, even though it's illegal.

Some years ago a few boatloads of radicals were sent to AMBON which is mainly Christian, and it was a real bloodbath there. The Govt. said they had nothing to do with it.

No doubt it is a 'complex' situation and that various elements either in the govenrment or miltary have probably played with fire courting some of these groups.

Having said that, they've executed a load of the Bali bombers and the fact that terrorists have made it to down town Jakarta probably means that they know these radicals have no compunction targeting the capital, and with it confidence in a young fragile democracy and economy.

And where money becomes involved for Jakarta's elite, it probably means that they are more likely to protect their interests and not encourage the radicals.

But they are just my thoughts.

JI (somewhat of a spent force in Indo) has already announced it's support for IS, although it is estimated to date 'only' 200+ Indonesians have actually joined IS in Syria / Iraq. As already mentioned in this topic Indo security forces have over recent years done a good job of hunting down, killings and imprisoning Islamic extremists.

Indo has recently held another successful democratic national election, so very different to Arab & Iranian dictatorships. Indonesia is a G20 member country & on current trends it is forecast will have the world’s fourth largest economy in the coming 15 - 20 years.

Some reading this topic might be interested to read a few analyses of the Indo security and military challenges & strategies e.g.

"Current consensus in Indonesia holds that the armed forces should be oriented away from internal security objectives and toward defending Indonesia’s vast territorial and maritime interests"

http://carnegieendowment.org/2014/01/24/new-regional-strategy-for-indonesia-s-next-president

http://www.aspistrategist.org.au/why-indonesia-will-side-with-the-us-despite-its-non-alignment-policy/

http://www.futuredirections.org.au/publications/indian-ocean/1677-indonesia-s-evolving-grand-strategy-foreign-powers.html

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1