German man brutally attacked in Udon Thani by 'Koh Tao copycats'

webfact

Just did some research and found this link about Udon Thani.

https://www.google.co.th/search?site=&source=hp&q=Deutscher+in+Thailand%27s+Udon+Thani+fast+ermordet&oq=Deutscher+in+Thailand%27s+Udon+Thani+fast+ermordet&gs_l=hp.12...6235.27722.0.29466.51.42.1.8.8.0.555.4813.6j32j5-1.39.0....0...1c.1.58.hp..25.26.2033.0.DUoQbljbZvY

Apr 1, 2011 a German guy got killed. Sorry, was Austrian)

May 9, 2012 a German guy got killed

Jul 5, 2013 a German guy got killed

Jul 10, 2013 a German got killed in Udon Thani. Just wondering why that happens every year. Hope the German guy will have a full and speedy recovery.

Udon Thani is a small city, can't imagine there are many Germans there.

There was another incident like this a couple of years ago where a farang father with a Thai wife and kids was hacked to death by teens with machetes in Surin province I believe, a case of random, unprovoked violence.

My city in America is considered dangerous and is 5-6 times the size of Udon Thani. 50 people are killed there every year almost all being people who know each other or gang violence. Random, unprovoked violence like this is almost unheard of. Yet in small Isaan cities it happens to the small farang community every year.

Thai authorities really have a problem now, they proberly just let killers go free, now we have same crime, these kids, and their friends are going to expect just a little smack on the back of their hands, and told not to do that again. A sign of how things will go, will be what the PM has to say about this crime, he is going to have to pick his words very carefully, not like last time. I for one am waiting to see it in english. There will be stay or go for a lot of people hanging on what he says.

And in other news, Sky reports today that Philip Spence has been locked up for 18 years in London. Earlier this year he entered the hotel room of three Emirati tourists in central London with intention to rob. he took with him a claw hammer and beat all three women around the head.

One was left with 5% brain function. Another lost part of her brain and an eye. The lives of alll three women were reportedly only saved by the very rapid intervention and expertise of medics form a nearby hospital.

Officers attending the scene described it as horrendous and the worst they had ever seen.

Form your own views as to whether you want to leave this country and return home.

• Like 2

Who breeds these people/animals? Throw them to the rats forever to show the youth of today this is NOT "This action is a typical case of youthful recklessness"

​If this becomes typical behavior we are shafted.

Even if this man survives and recovers he will never feel the same I'm sure he will be looking over his shoulder in fear for the rest of his life.

There are stories of bodies turning up daily and attacks like this one will destroy Thailand as a tourist destination.

Make an example quickly!

Good post. But please don't insult animals in characterizing these cretins. There's not a single species on this planet (other than some of us, apparently) that kills for sport or entertainment.

"There's not a single species on this planet (other than some of us, apparently) that kills for sport or entertainment."

Have you never seen a domestic cat, playing with a mouse before munching into it? Or killer whales tossing their captives around for ages .... They also have some fun before killing.

post-101696-0-46794700-1416281017_thumb.

post-101696-0-46462500-1416281039_thumb.

post-101696-0-97188300-1416281057_thumb.

According to the news they put out....it is "Reckless Behavior:".... for 18 year old men to run to to the park with a hoe and smash farangs on the head, in the hopes that they die...and they win a bet.

When I grew up, reckless behavior was grabbing the back bumper of a truck/car, on an icy road in wintertime, and getting a free ride. But we were 12.... not 18.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 2

I see the Mirror website is now carrying this story. Hopefully the other national newspapers will report this and the international attention will ensure that hefty sentences are handed out. How anyone can do this as a dare is truly beyond me.

Is there someone living in Udon who would be willing to go to the hospital and check up on this poor fellow? Just wondering if he is getting the support he needs by any friends/family? Have they been notified? Seems to me, being unconscious, he could really use some kind in an advocate.

Seems that there're plenty of TVF members living in Udon. Does the guy's family know what happened? According to another source he had been a teacher.

Any update would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a member of DHV/Bangkok, which is an organisation that helps German people in Thailand.

Will send them an email now.

Just sent them an email, awaiting their answer immediately.

P.S. Is anybody living/ staying near the hospital to find out how he's doing. At least a 50 % chance leaves hope....could happen to any of us.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

...Going insane. Can farangs have permission to carry guns please?

Just get a licence and you can get a gun.

WRONG! I have attempted on a few occasions to obtain a gun licence only to be told that farang cannot own a gun. However, if one is that desperate get your Thai partner to obtain the licence and he/she can then legally go and buy one. Should this not be the answer you were looking for just buy one mail order from either Hong Kong or Taiwan, Thai Customs seem to let them in no problem. Then of course there are many rules and regulations concerning where and how the gun should be kept. The above information was obtained from several RTP stations within Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani provinces.

I like the sign that reads...... If you are found on my property after dark you will be found on my property in the morning.

Not strictly correct. A legitimate gun license can be issued to a farang. I know two who have one, they both have PR so maybe that makes a differance.

I agree, it's not what you know but who. However, having just checked again with the BIB they assure me that only a Thai national can obtain a firearms licence and must be able to produce a Thai ID card. Having said that perhaps you could say where the two you mentioned obtained their licences?

Is there someone living in Udon who would be willing to go to the hospital and check up on this poor fellow? Just wondering if he is getting the support he needs by any friends/family? Have they been notified? Seems to me, being unconscious, he could really use some kind in an advocate.

Seems that there're plenty of TVF members living in Udon. Does the guy's family know what happened? According to another source he had been a teacher.

Any update would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a member of DHV/Bangkok, which is an organisation that helps German people in Thailand.

Thanks for pointing this out. I am going there on Sunday, but there must be somebody in the area right now. Also German consulate/embassy should give a call, and raise hell. Seems 5 other Thai men were just released from Koh Samui Jail...awaiting charges for murdering a German. Whats up? A little pressure might do good

• Like 1

Just spoke to a woman of DHF in Bangkok, they were not aware, I sent them a link, they'll inform the German embassy immediately, as they do have better connections to them.

I don't believe in a god, but hope that the guy'll get all needed help and survives.

Does anybody know if the German guy was married, or had a girl friend, colleagues, friends, etc?

It can take some time until the German embassy reacts. Any information will be deeply appreciated and forwarded to DHV in Bangkok.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

The little rascals have way too much free time to set around drinking and planning assults on fellow man. Use them as fish bait and target practice while towed behind a speed boat over the coral reefs.

Don't you realise that you are assuming guilt of these guys after all that happened with the investigation on Koh Tao? Why couldn't they be innocent, possibly like the other two? You have fallen into a deep trap with your comments.

Thai authorities really have a problem now, they proberly just let killers go free, now we have same crime, these kids, and their friends are going to expect just a little smack on the back of their hands, and told not to do that again. A sign of how things will go, will be what the PM has to say about this crime, he is going to have to pick his words very carefully, not like last time. I for one am waiting to see it in english. There will be stay or go for a lot of people hanging on what he says.

This is totally wrong and shows you have no knowledge of these two cases and/or how Thai criminal cases go forward or stall.

The attackers in Udon are teenage hoodlums without connections. They will have the book thrown at them and be locked up for a long time.

The attackers in Koh Tao (allegedly) were connected to, working for, or members of local political families worth millions of dollars and with connections to top levels of police, army and politics.

Ever get the hint that maybe the Thais just don,t want you here any more for numerous reasons. After what i have seen from the behavior of many both men and women i can understand why. The Thais will do just fine without your money. They did long before you ever set foot here.

A man has been brutally attacked and is fighting for his life.

But please, keep posting, so other members have a clear picture of what kind of person you are.

JJ has some point that some of the tourists behave very badly, but i think you can find about the same percentage of morons in any nationality, including Thais.

For what i see, most of the tourists behave well, often they smile more than Thais, while supporting them.

If expats start to leave in droves, tourists will get the hint, and criminality in Thailand will rise.

Then we will see people like JJ locked in his fortress , in fear to go out.

I hope the German guy makes a recovery, but god knows if and how he will make it,

The Japanese are complaining like hell that Thai tourists are noisy and rude, since they got an avalanche of them now they don't need tourist visas for a 2 week visit. They speak loudly on mobile phones in trains and other designated quiet places, take their own food and drinks into restaurants etc but they are not being raped and bludgeoned to death for it.

Good point. If tourists were killed because they were obnoxious, then Chinese tourists

in Thailand would be dying like flies..... :-)

...is it hatred, stupidity, wickedness? Maybe a combination.

It's racism pure and simple, it's always been there in Thailand, nothing new.

We're just starting to talk about it, that's all.

I don't believe the Thai people are any more racist than any other country, but there is a minority everywhere.

Strangely, there used to be a joke about the definition of a racist, which actually has some unfortunate truth.

A racist is someone who spends half of his/her life condemning those of other colours and then spends the other half trying to look like them.

This stems from the days of racism about black people by a minority of white people who lambasted black immigrants and then spent their holiday time sunbathing to turn brown. It can easily apply the other way. Look at all the 'whitening' products on sale in this country and other parts of the world.

No conclusions from me, just a sad thought.

If you think that thais are not more racist than any other country it is because you dont understand what is being said around you, or that you have never lived anywhere else.

Thailand is surely the country where racism is the most institionalised in the world... After Israel maybe...

• Like 1

And in other news, Sky reports today that Philip Spence has been locked up for 18 years in London. Earlier this year he entered the hotel room of three Emirati tourists in central London with intention to rob. he took with him a claw hammer and beat all three women around the head.

One was left with 5% brain function. Another lost part of her brain and an eye. The lives of alll three women were reportedly only saved by the very rapid intervention and expertise of medics form a nearby hospital.

Officers attending the scene described it as horrendous and the worst they had ever seen.

Form your own views as to whether you want to leave this country and return home.

How does that make what happened here any better?

Yes there are hate crimes everywhere.

Do the culprits always get 18 years?

Edited by Bluespunk

...is it hatred, stupidity, wickedness? Maybe a combination.

It's racism pure and simple, it's always been there in Thailand, nothing new.

We're just starting to talk about it, that's all.

Racism? Yeah I love being called a good looking white and rich foreigner!

Wake up baby, what you hear and what is meant are not on the same cultural platform and dont originate from the same set of motivation... But live your dream as long as you have cash, that is your purpose here after all.

The little rascals have way too much free time to set around drinking and planning assults on fellow man. Use them as fish bait and target practice while towed behind a speed boat over the coral reefs.

Don't you realise that you are assuming guilt of these guys after all that happened with the investigation on Koh Tao? Why couldn't they be innocent, possibly like the other two? You have fallen into a deep trap with your comments.

Have you read the full report? Here is the link. Source: http://www.khaosoden...wsid=1416208877

Edited by stephen terry

The last time I checked South Africa came top of the table for gun murders followed by Columbia then Thailand.

Maybe you looked at a wrong stat. If you used Nation master, forget it, they have crazy, completely wrong numbers, which do not add up at all. Forget Nation master, its wrong and outdated to!

There is no THAILAND, in the list of Wikipedia for =homicide firearm related death rate=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

BUT, is in =intentional homicide rate= = 5 per 100.000 inhabitants, about same as the USA (4,7)

= 3.300 per year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Conclusion, even if all Thai homicides would be related to a firearm,

it brings Thailand not in a bad top position.

Where is Thailand in the global ranking of death by head smashed in by hoe or other heavy or sharp object that happened to be lying around? Pretty high I should think.

• Like 1

The difference "might be" LOCKED UP FOR 18 years

• Like 1

I feel very safe here in Cambodia.

Cambodia is much more authentic and most Cambodians are much more straightforward than Thais. I am not sure how safer it is though... One thing is sure is that the behaviour of some of Thailands travellers could bring to violence much faster than it would in Thailand. Jai yen yen is not on the safety list here.

Just get a licence and you can get a gun.

WRONG! I have attempted on a few occasions to obtain a gun licence only to be told that farang cannot own a gun. However, if one is that desperate get your Thai partner to obtain the licence and he/she can then legally go and buy one. Should this not be the answer you were looking for just buy one mail order from either Hong Kong or Taiwan, Thai Customs seem to let them in no problem. Then of course there are many rules and regulations concerning where and how the gun should be kept. The above information was obtained from several RTP stations within Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani provinces.

I like the sign that reads...... If you are found on my property after dark you will be found on my property in the morning.

Not strictly correct. A legitimate gun license can be issued to a farang. I know two who have one, they both have PR so maybe that makes a differance.

I agree, it's not what you know but who. However, having just checked again with the BIB they assure me that only a Thai national can obtain a firearms licence and must be able to produce a Thai ID card. Having said that perhaps you could say where the two you mentioned obtained their licences?

Both live just south of Pattaya. Did you perform the lip moving check with the BIB to acertain they were speaking the truth?

Ever get the hint that maybe the Thais just don,t want you here any more for numerous reasons. After what i have seen from the behavior of many both men and women i can understand why. The Thais will do just fine without your money. They did long before you ever set foot here.

A man has been brutally attacked and is fighting for his life.

But please, keep posting, so other members have a clear picture of what kind of person you are.

JJ has some point that some of the tourists behave very badly, but i think you can find about the same percentage of morons in any nationality, including Thais.

For what i see, most of the tourists behave well, often they smile more than Thais, while supporting them.

If expats start to leave in droves, tourists will get the hint, and criminality in Thailand will rise.

Then we will see people like JJ locked in his fortress , in fear to go out.

I hope the German guy makes a recovery, but god knows if and how he will make it,

The Japanese are complaining like hell that Thai tourists are noisy and rude, since they got an avalanche of them now they don't need tourist visas for a 2 week visit. They speak loudly on mobile phones in trains and other designated quiet places, take their own food and drinks into restaurants etc but they are not being raped and bludgeoned to death for it.

And id say the Japanese are spot on.....problem is these days even on Thai Visa thats regarded as bashing and out will come the rosy mob

Edited by kannot

Thanks for pointing this out. I am going there on Sunday, but there must be somebody in the area right now. Also German consulate/embassy should give a call, and raise hell. Seems 5 other Thai men were just released from Koh Samui Jail...awaiting charges for murdering a German. Whats up? A little pressure might do good

DHV Bangkok are informed, they got in touch with the embassy, still waiting for an answer. Not sure yet, if anybody of this organisation can check on him now.

Would be great if any expats/ tourists would check on the victim, not even sure yet if his relatives are informed yet. Really scary that such things happen in Isaan.

Please go to this hospital when you live there and post what's going on. Would do the same for you. Cheers-wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan