German man brutally attacked in Udon Thani by 'Koh Tao copycats'

webfact

After seeing the German and his friends, the three teenagers reportedly dared each other to imitate the murder of two British backpackers on the southern island of Koh Tao ...

Makes one wonder if this incident ever would have taken place, if some Thai cop hadn't publicly posted the photos of Hannah.

(Of course, that cop was never disciplined, nor did his superiors even condemn his actions.)

• Like 1

Why do Thais hate foreigners so much that they want to kill them?

The local village girls come home from Pattaya with money that they could never earn in normal work & only talk & boast about their "falang boyfriends"? That could piss some young guys off. "It's not fair. These guys have money to have something we cannot get!!!"

Just flying a kite? Anyone ever heard or seen attitudes like this? It does seem possible to me. Relationship opportunities distorted by falang money! I am seriously trying to look for a grievance that could make young punks this really violently anti falang. There has to be something boiling. Surely these guys were not just drinking & one says "Let's go & kill someone for kicks"

Nope. The local village working girls in Pattaya nearly all have Thai boyfriends. So the more money their girlfriends make by going with farangs, the better time the Thai guy will have out drinking with their friends after she turns her money over to him. So cannot imagine why they would be bitter regarding farangs.....

Do not know, where you have your statistics from, but, oppose your opinion "The local village working girls in Pattaya nearly all have Thai boyfriends."

Some have, but =nearly all=? not what I witnessed living in Isaan deepest countryside, in Chayaphum and Udon Thani province since 1998. rolleyes.gif

Maybe it is the translation but the police passing it off as a 'typical case of youthful recklessness ' when the victim only has a 50 percent chance of survival seems a bit of an understatement.

Yeah ... boys will be boys, you know.

The last time I checked South Africa came top of the table for gun murders followed by Columbia then Thailand.

Maybe you looked at a wrong stat. If you used Nation master, forget it, they have crazy, completely wrong numbers, which do not add up at all. Forget Nation master, its wrong and outdated to!

There is no THAILAND, in the list of Wikipedia for =homicide firearm related death rate=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

BUT, is in =intentional homicide rate= = 5 per 100.000 inhabitants, about same as the USA (4,7)

= 3.300 per year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Conclusion, even if all Thai homicides would be related to a firearm,

it brings Thailand not in a bad top position.

Edited by ALFREDO

Why do Thais hate foreigners so much that they want to kill them?

The local village girls come home from Pattaya with money that they could never earn in normal work & only talk & boast about their "falang boyfriends"? That could piss some young guys off. "It's not fair. These guys have money to have something we cannot get!!!"

Just flying a kite? Anyone ever heard or seen attitudes like this? It does seem possible to me. Relationship opportunities distorted by falang money! I am seriously trying to look for a grievance that could make young punks this really violently anti falang. There has to be something boiling. Surely these guys were not just drinking & one says "Let's go & kill someone for kicks"

Nope. The local village working girls in Pattaya nearly all have Thai boyfriends. So the more money their girlfriends make by going with farangs, the better time the Thai guy will have out drinking with their friends after she turns her money over to him. So cannot imagine why they would be bitter regarding farangs.....

Do not know, where you have your statistics from, but, oppose your opinion "The local village working girls in Pattaya nearly all have Thai boyfriends."

Some have, but =nearly all=? not what I witnessed living in Isaan deepest countryside, in Chayaphum and Udon Thani province since 1998. rolleyes.gif

Well I certainly appreciate your fairly mild rebuke of " opposing " my opinion. I

have spent 14 years in Thailand, have traveled to every province by motorcycle,

and have logged time in countless bars talking to mamasans and bar girls.

My best guess is about 70 to 80 percent have Thai boyfriends. Hard to back

that up with numbers as there is no registration process for that fact.

And yes Chayaphum is pretty much the deepest countryside. I spent one quiet night

there. Very rare to ever find a girl from there working in a bar. Looked like a pretty

successful farm area so maybe no need. Udon Thani on the other hand is pretty

raucous... :-)

So I still maintain that crimes like this one are just a function of violence and stupidity,

rather than some attempt to strike back at farangs because they are grabbing all

the women.........

The last time I checked South Africa came top of the table for gun murders followed by Columbia then Thailand.

Maybe you looked at a wrong stat. If you used Nation master, forget it, they have crazy, completely wrong numbers, which do not add up at all. Forget Nation master, its wrong and outdated to!

There is no THAILAND, in the list of Wikipedia for =homicide firearm related death rate=

BUT, is in =intentional homicide rate= = 5 per 100.000 inhabitants, about same as the USA (4,7)

= 3.300 per year

"There is no THAILAND, in the list of Wikipedia for =homicide firearm related death rate=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate"

Because someone edited out Thailand......Any Wiki post can be edited, so do not bet your

life on any information there. Or do you believe that Thailand has a lower gun homicide rate

than Switzerland and thus does not even make the top 75 countries ? :-)

• Like 1

In the London we get many rich Americans and well off Arabs who use their riches to get girls but we do not try to kill them. We take the attitude that there are plenty more fish in the sea.I still dont know why Thais hate foreigners so much that they want to kill them. Its a mystery to me.

And yes Chayaphum is pretty much the deepest countryside. I spent one quiet night

there. Very rare to ever find a girl from there working in a bar. Looked like a pretty

successful farm area so maybe no need. Udon Thani on the other hand is pretty

raucous... :-)

We should not get our TV colleagues, bored with our technicality.

But have to write, maybe, I have more insight.tongue.png

My 2 long time relationships, including children, house, car, ect. many years even overlapping,

one from a laid back village 60 km north from Chayaphum city and one - still my GF, 85 km east, from Udon Thani city are both from Patong's red light.

(So had also been some shorter lived relationships, with a girl each, from Mukdahan, Chiang Rai and Korat, which I was also for some time visiting in their home province and to, laid back small villages,

even brought two of them for holiday to Europe or Malaysia)

Sisters from the women, all together 4, worked also in Soi Bangla, or Bangkok, Soi Cowboy.

I lived and I live here since 1998, including long stints in Patong and I got to see, witness

and hear many stories,

from Sex workers in the Bars and when they visited their small home village,

often with the new Falang boyfriend of the season.wink.png

Still oppose your stated percentage of girls, women who have a Thai Bf waiting at home, your numbers, are, in my eyes by far, exaggerated.

Also, I do not believe Chayaphum has a better farmland than Udon Thani, at least not where I lived

and live and that should be a reason, that there are less Chayphum girls "working".

Yes, many "working girls and boys" are from Udon Thani, but there are also a lot from other Isaan provinces and Chayaphum. (Chayaphum, has also less inhabitants)

My village in the Chayaphum countryside and the village in the Udon countryside, has about the same size and a similar sized group of girls work in the southern red light centers, no difference. smile.png

• Like 1

= 3.300 per year

"There is no THAILAND, in the list of Wikipedia for =homicide firearm related death rate=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate"

Because someone edited out Thailand......Any Wiki post can be edited, so do not bet your

life on any information there. Or do you believe that Thailand has a lower gun homicide rate

than Switzerland and thus does not even make the top 75 countries ? :-)

No the WIKIPEDIA list writes on top

"This is an incomplete list of 75 Countries and Dependencies, which may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness. You can help by expanding it with reliably sourced entries."

It could be, that Thailand does not distinguish, between homicide and homicide with a firearm in their stats, nothing more and nothing less.

By the way, Thailand 5 homicides p. 100.000 inhabitants, Switzerland 0,6 homicides per 100.000

and from these are 0,52 homicides with a firearm. + 3,15 suicides with a firearm.

785 comments and growing...

I *really* hope the German press picks the story of the attack up.

Best wishes to that young man, probably scarred for life :(

anything more to say...!!!??

"Thailand 'one of the most dangerous tourist destinations on Earth': Expat investigation lifts lid on dark side of the Land of Smiles"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2833369/Thailand-one-dangerous-tourist-destinations-Earth-Ex-pat-investigation-lifts-lid-dark-Land-Smiles.html#ixzz3JJXUvHPO

A post has been removed.

As much as we like articles from papers like The Telegraph, that particular article unfortunately includes a paragraph that breaks the very important Thai Visa forum rule number one!

Forum rule 1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

We have to keep removing the posts that link this particular article, not because of the article subject matter, just because of that one line in it.

It's quite serious.

Thanks

No doubt the perpetrators though they would go free just like the actual criminals on Kao Tao.

They look like adults. But because they were drinking and said sorry , they will go unpunished. Just a slight transgression. Boys will be boys.

Anywhere else it would be a premeditated cold blooded horrible murder. Fit for the the most harshest of punishment possible, under law.

We need to know more about the background of this tragic incident.

Did the young German know his attackers? Is he working in Thailand or just a tourist on a short visit ? Yes. most probably the Thai teens were high on drugs and booze , but still would like to know if the German just was sitting in the park and was suddenly attacked without any earlier confrontations.

I feel safe in Thailand after 5 years here , never felt any danger, except getting to close to drunk farangs.

Anyway the police did a good job catching the boys .

Edited by balo

We need to know more about the background of this tragic incident.

Did the young German know his attackers? Is he working in Thailand or just a tourist on a short visit ? Yes. most probably the Thai teens were high on drugs and booze , but still would like to know if the German just was sitting in the park and was suddenly attacked without any earlier confrontations.

I feel safe in Thailand after 5 years here , never felt any danger, except getting to close to drunk farangs.

Anyway the police did a good job catching the boys .

The provided information to the police...their story is in the article. They went out, bought a hoe, carried it to the park, and dared each other to kill a farang with it. That is pretty damming self-incrimination.

It would be interesting to hear the German man give his explanation, except he is almost dead. The two other Thai people with him, probably already gave statements....

Perhaps the German man attacked them first? I really doubt it. If they were enemies, or had some kind of family dispute, would this make it ok ...to be attacked with a hoe in a park????

Looks like random violence...but I am open to more info. Easy to say something never happened to us...so that everything is perfectly normal. I was a victim of a rough robbery attempt, while walking back to my hotel, in Bangkok. Two men grabbed me, shoved me around to a small alley, and put their hands in my pocket. I grabbed each hand and yelled....choui douai. (I could have easily overpowered them, but just held them by their wrists). A gun or a knife would have been the end of it. for me. No...you can be a victim here. ..many victims will tell you, but some are not alive.

Edited by slipperylobster