German man brutally attacked in Udon Thani by 'Koh Tao copycats'

webfact

The Mrs has family not far from Ratchatani. I've been to a few New Year and SongKran parties there over the years. I stopped going about five years ago as they started to become dangerous. They were fine for years...and great fun. However, gangs of youths, sometimes from out of town, started turning up ( when bands were on stage etc). Fights would break out. About a decade ago, just a few fisticuffs. The sort of thing you might get anywhere when hundreds of people and alcohol are invloved. Then,these outbreaks of fighting became quite regular. One could say, planned. Until a gun was fired one night. Nobody died, but there was an injured leg (Thai male). After that, I stopped going, And I've heard it's got worse. To the point that security have to be brought in. I hear they have access to baseball bats and even guns if needed. The older ones just want the parties banning now, and that's a great shame.

I'm too old to go to rock festivals nowadays anyway, but before anyone says this happens in all countries I have to say this: I would not be worried for my safety at a rock festival in the west, but I would be genuinely worried for my safety at a Thai music festival.

Shame really. Here's hoping the German dude gets well soon.

The Mrs has family not far from Ratchatani. I've been to a few New Year and SongKran parties there over the years. I stopped going about five years ago as they started to become dangerous. They were fine for years...and great fun. However, gangs of youths, sometimes from out of town, started turning up ( when bands were on stage etc). Fights would break out. About a decade ago, just a few fisticuffs. The sort of thing you might get anywhere when hundreds of people and alcohol are invloved. Then,these outbreaks of fighting became quite regular. One could say, planned. Until a gun was fired one night. Nobody died, but there was an injured leg (Thai male). After that, I stopped going, And I've heard it's got worse. To the point that security have to be brought in. I hear they have access to baseball bats and even guns if needed. The older ones just want the parties banning now, and that's a great shame.

I'm too old to go to rock festivals nowadays anyway, but before anyone says this happens in all countries I have to say this: I would not be worried for my safety at a rock festival in the west, but I would be genuinely worried for my safety at a Thai music festival.

Shame really. Here's hoping the German dude gets well soon.

Songkran in Pattaya had an element of that creeping in when I decided I did not want to be part of the madness any more.

Important to keep this thread going. This should get picked up internationally, as one poster wisely stated.

There needs to be quick action to make "copycat hoe attackers" know this cannot become a trend.

It is not a trend yet....but could quickly catch on....as a dare.

Teens are quick to pick up on our worries.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 2

It still does not change the fact that what you wrote was actually not stated in the article and was factually wrong according to the quote I posted.

Yes, the current charge may well fit the crime, but I dare you to find any criminal code anywhere where any form of assault (not leading to death) is a more serious crime than attempted murder :-)

Further in criminal cases the prosecution will usually (if not always) go for the most severe charge, at least till a deal is struck.

MonkeyCountry, I will ask once again--Do you have any knowledge of Thai Criminal Law? Or are you attempting to apply the laws of your own country here in Thailand?

I am interested in facts--not in assumptions made by posters who rant and rave about how bad Thailand is.

Are the statements you have made based on knowledge of Thai Law and Precedent?

-----------

Now here are the points I made that disproved your claim the police had been incompetent:

Within hours the RTP have

-- identified the attackers,

-- arrested the attackers,

-- located the weapon used in the assault,

-- gotten statements of guilt from the attackers, and

-- are ready to pursue additional charges.

Each of these statements is true and clearly indicated in the article. In other words, your accusation failed at all levels. You cannot prove your claim of incompetence.

If you can then please do so now. Otherwise, you are offering a straw-man argument because you got called for your BS.

BTW, some posters could easily misinterpret your username as being a racist moniker against the Thai people, ie a country full of monkeys.

Thailand Penal Code

https://www.unodc.org/tldb/pdf/Thailand/THA_Pena_CodeEN.pdf

See:

• Book I Chapter 5 on Attempt
  • Book II Title X Chapter 1 on Offense Causing Death
  • Book II Title X Chapter 2 on Offenses Against the Body

Bottom Line:

• Attempted Murder carries a sentence of 10-13 years
  • Committing Grievous Bodily Harm carries a sentence of 6 months-10 years (maybe 2 yrs-10 yrs in this case)

So Attempted Murder carries a minimum sentence of 10 years, and Committing Grievous Bodily Harm carries a minimum sentence of 6 months-2 years.

That's a big difference.

Edited by Bleacher Bum East
  • Like 1

Tue Nov 18: why this gruesome thing is not yet on national papers e.g. BKK Post, The Nation nor on international tabloids - anything wrong with the story?

You can bet that this news will be made international, if it can be helped. Most likely, as it puts the Koh Tao murders in perspective. Now it can be demonstrated how easily a Thai can attack a farang with a hoe....it does not have to be, specifically, a burmese man. Quite controversial...and might make people take a second look.

I don't want to be a fear mongerer. It sure looks like I am. However, I worry about the light hearted, forgiving approach handed out to perpetrators. It makes it all the more dangerous, when these violent people are let loose again. It empowers them, and, in return, other gangs will emulate that.

It is not that I am saying Thailand is dangerous.... and that everyone will be in danger....

What I am saying is that, Gangs, thugs, little wanna-be murderers....will not be held accountable. If no justice is served, then these crimes will happen more and more.

Man, we are hearing way too much of this type of news coming out of Thailand lately. That country, once so astonishingly beautiful and highly sought after as a vacation/retirement place, is really becoming a dungheap.

Glad I live next door in laos.

The little rascals have way too much free time to set around drinking and planning assults on fellow man. Use them as fish bait and target practice while towed behind a speed boat over the coral reefs.

I disagree only with the last one; there has been too much coral destroyed already. Chaining them to a tree deep in the forest is much more environmentally sound and it would give them a week or so to meditate on how long they will spend in the Thai Buddhist hell.

anything more to say...!!!??

"Thailand 'one of the most dangerous tourist destinations on Earth': Expat investigation lifts lid on dark side of the Land of Smiles"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2833369/Thailand-one-dangerous-tourist-destinations-Earth-Ex-pat-investigation-lifts-lid-dark-Land-Smiles.html#ixzz3JJXUvHPO

John Stapleton's expose of Thailand Tourism is an excellent portrayal of what we all try to get across to TV members and its avid readers.

Thus, a true and sincere depiction of Thailand. Morbid curiosity has now moved on to murder in its extreme. Given that Thailand is a dangerous destination for westerners and if TAT gloss over this latest attack on this German in Udon Thani it will be ‘a selfish mockery’ proving we are indispensable in respect of lost Tourism revenue. Personally, get annoyed when Americans and so on give us statistics about their country.

We are talking about THAILAND! At least in other world destinations the Police do their absolute best to serve & protect and don’t need to bribe them for assistance in keeping them safe. The retribution for Thais committing serious crimes are pathetic, to such a degree, can easily feel free to rape/murder/scam/assault/rob or insult us at their leisure – not ours.

Subsequently, in the knowledge that doing any crime will be no hardship. Especially, under their own Thai refined discriminative taste for so-called impartial judgment, more so a mere walk in the park compared to other civilised countries justice system. They have to PROVE once and for all – AND make a Public example of these murderous clowns to show the world they MEAN – BUSINESS.

• Like 1

...Going insane. Can farangs have permission to carry guns please?

Just get a licence and you can get a gun.

and don't forget the fashion accessories...

post-74977-0-37272600-1416273730_thumb.j

maybe this attire (and attitude) will become de rigeur for long-term expats in the near future tongue.png

• Like 1

Wow, amazing! Do we know anything about the motives for this? Looks like Thailand starts to become like the US.. plenty of brutal lunetics all over the place who could kill you any minute.

The motive, according to the Thai language police statements, was that he, the German, looked at them in the wrong way.

Wow! Incredible.

A nasty and vicious attack from the sounds of this and totally unprovoked.

I really do hope the German guy does survive with his faculties and abilities intact.

These 3 need some severe punishment to prevent more copycat attacks.

Thank god it doesn't happen in the west...unprovoked attacks by young thugs on defenceless victims. Almost unheard of eh?

What's your point? Does the fact it happens elsewhere somehow diminish this cowardly, senseless racially motivated attack?

• Like 1

WRONG! I have attempted on a few occasions to obtain a gun licence only to be told that farang cannot own a gun. However, if one is that desperate get your Thai partner to obtain the licence and he/she can then legally go and buy one. Should this not be the answer you were looking for just buy one mail order from either Hong Kong or Taiwan, Thai Customs seem to let them in no problem. Then of course there are many rules and regulations concerning where and how the gun should be kept. The above information was obtained from several RTP stations within Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani provinces.

I like the sign that reads...... If you are found on my property after dark you will be found on my property in the morning.

Edited by loongdavid
  • Like 1

Just did some research and found this link about Udon Thani.

https://www.google.co.th/search?site=&source=hp&q=Deutscher+in+Thailand%27s+Udon+Thani+fast+ermordet&oq=Deutscher+in+Thailand%27s+Udon+Thani+fast+ermordet&gs_l=hp.12...6235.27722.0.29466.51.42.1.8.8.0.555.4813.6j32j5-1.39.0....0...1c.1.58.hp..25.26.2033.0.DUoQbljbZvY

Apr 1, 2011 a German guy got killed. Sorry, was Austrian)

May 9, 2012 a German guy got killed

Jul 5, 2013 a German guy got killed

Jul 10, 2013 a German got killed in Udon Thani. Just wondering why that happens every year. Hope the German guy will have a full and speedy recovery.

No...it does not happen everywhere, to the extent it happens here. Not violence against tourists...just not anywhere the same. There are deaths and violence everywhere...and especially in western "civilized countries". And you will find some reports. But not like here.

Of course you are correct.

But the Thai apologists come out each time something happens and say "but it happens elsewhere"...or "20 years and I've never seems trouble, therefore Thailand must be safe". They are trying to rationalize being here by putting up blinders, despite the obvious.

...and in isolation, they are probably correct, but it's the sheer volume of beatings, deaths, suicides, scams, robberies, misadventure and so on that make Thailand absolutely unique, especially when these crimes are against tourists. There is nowhere in the world where tourists get in so much trouble, and fewer places that do absolutely nothing about it.

Some people aren't real bright. They see what they want to see...until they get struck in the back of the head by a garden hoe for no reason.

Wake up.

Some of these apologists are, of course, just naive...perhaps settled in some family-oriented, gated community. (Shopping mall and Tesco lotus lovers). They might never have that feeling of uncertainty that the more adventurous crowd feels. Renting Jet Ski's, scooters, riding packed vans and buses and high speed at 4am, full moon parties, late night dinners and club activities, walking alone down private beaches. These are things tourists do....not so much the expats. Let us think of making it safe for tourists. It is, overall, safe for the expat/retiree. We need to get the word out, however, that many of these gangs of kids find it fun to hurt people. I used to enjoy the wild life...and still do a night out 4 times a month. But now I bring my wife (to drive and watch my back). I just don't want to be out looking for a ride, after a few beers.. Call me lucky that I can retire with only a few bumps, bruises, and cracked teeth left. It was quite a life..for 18years (living only in Asia). My balls are not hanging as low as they used to.

Forgot to add the obvious.... Many other apologists are business owners of clubs/restaurants/travel agencies, and some others are trying to sell their condos. They would not want to scare away prospective customers.

• Like 1

WRONG! I have attempted on a few occasions to obtain a gun licence only to be told that farang cannot own a gun. However, if one is that desperate get your Thai partner to obtain the licence and he/she can then legally go and buy one. Should this not be the answer you were looking for just buy one mail order from either Hong Kong or Taiwan, Thai Customs seem to let them in no problem. Then of course there are many rules and regulations concerning where and how the gun should be kept. The above information was obtained from several RTP stations within Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani provinces.

I like the sign that reads...... If you are found on my property after dark you will be found on my property in the morning.

Not strictly correct. A legitimate gun license can be issued to a farang. I know two who have one, they both have PR so maybe that makes a differance.