German man brutally attacked in Udon Thani by 'Koh Tao copycats'

webfact

Is there someone living in Udon who would be willing to go to the hospital and check up on this poor fellow? Just wondering if he is getting the support he needs by any friends/family? Have they been notified? Seems to me, being unconscious, he could really use some kind in an advocate.

Seems that there're plenty of TVF members living in Udon. Does the guy's family know what happened? According to another source he had been a teacher.

Any update would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a member of DHV/Bangkok, which is an organisation that helps German people in Thailand.

Will send them an email now.

Thanks for pointing this out. I am going there on Sunday, but there must be somebody in the area right now. Also German consulate/embassy should give a call, and raise hell. Seems 5 other Thai men were just released from Koh Samui Jail...awaiting charges for murdering a German. Whats up? A little pressure might do good

A tiny ray of hope that justice would be served has got extinguished. The case against these thugs was conclusive, (witnesses, murder weapon) including a confession. Same prosecutor who is hell-bound on indicting the B2 on a conspiracy to murder charge with less evidence.

I'm still wondering if any Thai person has ever been convicted of murdering a non-Thai? If the answer is negative, then what hope has his German guy's relatives got (if he doesn't live) or if he hopefully does and recovers, attempted murder charge?

Edited by stephen terry
  • Like 1

Thai authorities really have a problem now, they proberly just let killers go free, now we have same crime, these kids, and their friends are going to expect just a little smack on the back of their hands, and told not to do that again. A sign of how things will go, will be what the PM has to say about this crime, he is going to have to pick his words very carefully, not like last time. I for one am waiting to see it in english. There will be stay or go for a lot of people hanging on what he says.

This is totally wrong and shows you have no knowledge of these two cases and/or how Thai criminal cases go forward or stall.

The attackers in Udon are teenage hoodlums without connections. They will have the book thrown at them and be locked up for a long time.

The attackers in Koh Tao (allegedly) were connected to, working for, or members of local political families worth millions of dollars and with connections to top levels of police, army and politics.

I wouldn't bank on it, Briggsy. Thai on Thai, yes, but not when the victim is a farang and the perps are Thai. I'd bet the under 18 will be set free, and the others walk after spending 84 days in the slammer - or if it goes to court, then a non-sentence.

I would only be too grateful to hear of just one case where a Thai has been convicted of murdering a non-Thai.

...is it hatred, stupidity, wickedness? Maybe a combination.

This happens all over the world, and seems to be getting worse.Nothing thainess about this, there are total scumbags about,who knows if drugs, alcohol had something to do with it, but vthey didnt attack the german because they hate non thais, i am sure about that.

There are so many farang in Udon Thani I can understand why the local youth don't like them. most are beer-guzzling elderlies with young country women. These 'wairoon' have no chance to find a decent girlfriend.

What a load of BS. I suppose an unprovoked attack with a hoe and with the intent to murder is because local youth don't like farang and want a decent g/f? Particularly as the young German was sitting with two Thai male friends.

Read the full report before making comments like these. The motivation is quite clear. Copy the Koh Tao murders. A drunken dare. Source: http://www.khaosoden...wsid=1416208877

I hope and pray for a full and speedy recovery for the German man, what has happened to Thailand in the past few years such a violent hate filled dangerous place to holiday or live in now, and the Thais are wondering where all the tourists have gone I think most have gone to ICU or A/E shocking this is becoming the main read in TVF now all about the various attacks on foreigners.

There are so many farang in Udon Thani I can understand why the local youth don't like them. most are beer-guzzling elderlies with young country women. These 'wairoon' have no chance to find a decent girlfriend.

What a load of BS. I suppose an unprovoked attack with a hoe and with the intent to murder is because local youth don't like farang and want a decent g/f? Particularly as the young German was sitting with two Thai male friends.

Read the full report before making comments like these. The motivation is quite clear. Copy the Koh Tao murders. A drunken dare. Source: http://www.khaosoden...wsid=1416208877

When you have been living in Isarn for 28 years like myself I might care what you say about the attitudes of locals to farang.

How long have you lived here that you are such an expert?.

Thai authorities really have a problem now, they proberly just let killers go free, now we have same crime, these kids, and their friends are going to expect just a little smack on the back of their hands, and told not to do that again. A sign of how things will go, will be what the PM has to say about this crime, he is going to have to pick his words very carefully, not like last time. I for one am waiting to see it in english. There will be stay or go for a lot of people hanging on what he says.

This is totally wrong and shows you have no knowledge of these two cases and/or how Thai criminal cases go forward or stall.

The attackers in Udon are teenage hoodlums without connections. They will have the book thrown at them and be locked up for a long time.

The attackers in Koh Tao (allegedly) were connected to, working for, or members of local political families worth millions of dollars and with connections to top levels of police, army and politics.

I wouldn't bank on it, Briggsy. Thai on Thai, yes, but not when the victim is a farang and the perps are Thai. I'd bet the under 18 will be set free, and the others walk after spending 84 days in the slammer - or if it goes to court, then a non-sentence.

I would only be too grateful to hear of just one case where a Thai has been convicted of murdering a non-Thai.

The Thai justice system can be unpredictable, but bearing in mind, this group has been in trouble with the police previously and bearing in mind they have been paraded in front of the press already, I would expect heavy sentences.

For the under 18, though, he may receive a much lighter sentence.

If it were a fairer court system, then their individual roles in the attack would be considered along with many other factors, but here it will just be age and family connections, if there are any, and if the German Embassy apply pressure, then that will affect the sentence as foreign governments carry some weight in the Thai view of importance.

• Like 1

The Thai justice system can be unpredictable, but bearing in mind, this group has been in trouble with the police previously and bearing in mind they have been paraded in front of the press already, I would expect heavy sentences.

If it were a fairer court system, then their individual roles in the attack would be considered along with many other factors, but here it will just be age and family connections, if there are any, and if the German Embassy apply pressure, then that will affect the sentence as foreign governments carry some weight in the Thai view of importance.

I'm on your side, but unless there is a whole sea change in the whole judicial system's attitude towards punishing Thais for crimes against non-Thais, I doubt we will see any justice happening. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

When you have been living in Isarn for 28 years like myself I might care what you say about the attitudes of locals to farang.

How long have you lived here that you are such an expert?.

I understand where you're coming from, but not liking farangs is a long, long way from this brutal and unprovoked attack. If you can't see that, then your 28 years there counts for nothing. As to the G/F, do you think any decent girl would hook up with a local thug?

• Like 1

Well at least the cops aren't blaming the Burmese or Cambodians.

Bang goes another 10k tourist arrivals.

10000 tourist arrivals? Really?? I think our perceptions get very distorted with TV as a news source. I just did a Google news search, and this story is only being picked up in the Thai media so far. Granted, it's still hot off the press. Let's see what happens over the next couple of days, but I wouldn't be surprised if it makes barely a ripple in the international media. Hard to compete with ISIS, ebola, and the Ukraine.

This story is running like crazy around all my friends and contacts on facebook. It is presumably quite big on German news.

I find this type of daylight random attack to be genuinely terrifying. I am very glad I have left. If it means one can't walk around because as a farang you are a target, what is the point in Thailand. Plenty of places with sunshine that are safer than that.

• Like 1

I'm on your side, but unless there is a whole sea change in the whole judicial system's attitude towards punishing Thais for crimes against non-Thais, I doubt we will see any justice happening. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

Non-Thais, particularly tourists, will, by definition, have no link to any patron in Thailand while a Thai is far more likely to. Since convicting and sentencing in Thai courts is extremely heavily influenced by considerations of relative social importance of the parties involved, then, again by both definition and design, Thais will tend to be treated more lightly when committing crimes against foreigners as the Thai will likely have important Thai people vouching for him. The system is deliberately designed to protect wealthy, powerful Thais from other Thais and all Thais against foreigners. The concept of all being equal before the law would be considered ludicrous.

However these teenagers will get a heavy sentence for the reasons I put in earlier posts.

This is very upsetting...particularly to my wife and I. We spent many mornings in that park...just before sunrise. In the 3 years that we lived there, we went every day, and saw nothing like this. There was a gruesome murder of a bar owner by his own staff, at his house...but not random violence at the park.

Police and military are helpless against this kind of violence.

I know it sounds bad....because it is.

Police and military are helpless ineffectual against this kind of violence.

There, fixed that for ya thumbsup.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

dont worry guys, i heard national safe tourism day in Thailand will be declared soon....

Good to hear we will be safe in Thailand one day a year :-)

Non-Thais, particularly tourists, will, by definition, have no link to any patron in Thailand while a Thai is far more likely to. Since convicting and sentencing in Thai courts is extremely heavily influenced by considerations of relative social importance of the parties involved, then, again by both definition and design, Thais will tend to be treated more lightly when committing crimes against foreigners as the Thai will likely have important Thai people vouching for him. The system is deliberately designed to protect wealthy, powerful Thais from other Thais and all Thais against foreigners. The concept of all being equal before the law would be considered ludicrous.

However these teenagers will get a heavy sentence for the reasons I put in earlier posts.

Perhaps 'more likely', but very far from actually having one.

Wrong. Social importance means s0d all, unless one is seriously cashed up, and then it wouldn't even get as far as Court.

Wrong again. Foreigners tend not to have the patience to deal with the circus that is the 'judiciary' here. Thais can wait forever if there's a couple of baht at the end of it. To which many marrying 'long con's' can testify.

"I find this type of daylight random attack to be genuinely terrifying. I am very glad I have left. If it means one can't walk around because as a farang you are a target, what is the point in Thailand. Plenty of places with sunshine that are safer than that".

I think it about time a few folk stated just using the names of the towns where these things are happening. To lump all of Thailand into this problem and to tar it with the same brush is both wrong and stupid. If things get out of hand in any of the better known tourist hot spots then leave. I for one will be staying put right here in my little bit of Isaan backwoods paradise where the crime rate is NIL.

This story is running like crazy around all my friends and contacts on facebook. It is presumably quite big on German news.

I find this type of daylight random attack to be genuinely terrifying. I am very glad I have left. If it means one can't walk around because as a farang you are a target, what is the point in Thailand. Plenty of places with sunshine that are safer than that.

Good. Keep posting everything wrong here on social media. They can't censor that. The entire country's on FB. Remember when they recently thought that'd been closed down? Why, even the govt officials and plods were hopping mad w00t.gif

"I find this type of daylight random attack to be genuinely terrifying. I am very glad I have left. If it means one can't walk around because as a farang you are a target, what is the point in Thailand. Plenty of places with sunshine that are safer than that".

I think it about time a few folk stated just using the names of the towns where these things are happening. To lump all of Thailand into this problem and to tar it with the same brush is both wrong and stupid. If things get out of hand in any of the better known tourist hot spots then leave. I for one will be staying put right here in my little bit of Isaan backwoods paradise where the crime rate is NIL.

Um, look at the OP. UDON THANI blink.png

• Like 1

"This action is a typical case of youthful recklessness," Pol.Col. Surin

NO!! This was attempted murder , they admitted they wanted to copy the Koh Tao murders. Probably because they thought they could get away with it too.

Being drunk is not an excuse for violence

But this case just goes to prove Thai people do, do this sort of thing. Which raises more doubts about Koh Tao ....If that is possible.

Edited by johncat1

It's hard to remember more than a few of the constant stream of murders and brutal assaults on foreigners in Thailand. The old ones fade from memory and the latest ones steal the attention.

A few that come to mind from 2014 include the couple on Koh Tao, the American found in a coma with head injuries on a beach in or near Phuket, another American murdered outside the Nana Hotel in Bangkok and this latest attack on the German in Udon Thani.

But I am there have been many others, all of the above were just in the last few months. If read of many more minor assaults, I'm just listing the death or close to death cases.

The headline does read

German man brutally attacked in Udon Thani by 'Koh Tao copycats'

Which to my way of thinking indicates the attack was in UDON THANI which if you are not sure where that is it is in the heart of Isaan, where obviously the crime rate is not nil

The headline reads " Attacked in Udon Thani " Which if you are not sure where that is It is in the heart of Isaan where obviously the crime rate is not nil.

The headline reads " Attacked in Udon Thani " Which if you are not sure where that is It is in the heart of Isaan where obviously the crime rate is not nil.

And my little bit of paradise is probably what the young German was thinking as he waited for the sun to rise on yet another crime-free day.

Any news of the condition of the victim?

The Thai friends he was with - were they hurt? I thought I read that one had a broken arm? Was he attacked or was he defending the victim?

What we do know is that the German man worked as a teacher in Udon , and he went to the park together with his 2 Thai friends. But I feel there is more to this story , was it a random attack ?

Edited by balo

Your quiet little bit of issan? You obviously missed the Brit shot by hitmen hired by his missus in Banphai a couple of years ago.

Face it. There are now problems large and small for foreigners pretty much everywhere now.