Nine army officers killed in helicopter crash in Phayao

Lite Beer

Nine army officers killed in helicopter crash in Phayao

11-17-2014-8-46-17-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

PHAYAO: -- Nine army officers who included the deputy commander of the Third Army Region Maj-Gen Songpol Thongjin were killed when their Bell helicopter crashed into a rubber field 10 minutes after taking off from the Khunjueng army barrack in Muang district of Phayao province this evening.

The incident happened at about 5.30 p.m. when the Bell 212 helicopter with altogether nine officers , including the pilot and copilot, took off from the Khunjueng army barrack of the 17th infantry division in Muang district of Phayao province for the return to the Third Army base in Phitsanulok.

Killed were the deputy commander of the Third Army Region Maj-Gen Songpol Thongjin, Col Kitti Suwancharoen, Col Yuthapong Puenfoong, Lt-Col Wuthisak Sunranasuk, Sgt Anant Chomchiengkam, Lt-Col.Manit Surasena, the pilot, Capt Worapong Changsalak, the co-pilot, and two mechanics Sgt Sompob and Sgt Pirun.

The cause of the fatal crash was under investigation but initial report said the helicopter developed engine engine trouble and the pilot tried to land but crashed into the rubber field.

It burst in flame as it crashed into the field, witnesses said.

Soon after the helicopter lost contact with its base in the barrack, rescue officials were sent out to search and find the helicopter in the field at Ban Dok Bua village in Tambon Thawangthong in Muang district of Phayao.

The fatal helicopter was engulfed with flame while villagers and rescue officials at the scene trying to recover the bodies out.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nine-army-officers-killed-helicopter-crash-phayao

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-17

Bell 212 is a very trusted and field proven bird.

It was a variation on this same aircraft that had a hard landing two days ago--a Bell 205B, I think.

The deaths in this crash go to show how lucky the 15 passengers in the previous crash really were.

A real loss to so many families.

I hope they are performing their scheduled maintenance on these aircraft. I am guessing the Thais have their own version of the FAA to investigate.

• Like 1

PHAYAO CRASH
9 Army officers dead in chopper crash

The Nation

PHAYAO: -- All nine Army officers, including Maj-General Songphol Thongjeen, a deputy commander of the Third Army Region in the North, were killed in a helicopter crash yesterday evening in Phayao.

Two bodies fell into a deep muddy pond and an effort to retrieve them was underway last night. The crash site in Muang district had been sealed off to protect personal belongings, weapons and confidential documents that were scattered. The US-made UH-1 helicopter was returning from duty and lost contact for 10 minutes, before villagers in tambon Tha Wong Thong reported seeing it crash at 5.30pm.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/9-Army-officers-dead-in-chopper-crash-30248012.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-18

One of the mechanics on board allegedly did this. Perhaps he knew a particular thing about that airframe and Thai Army pilots.

Before take off, SM 1 Anan posted on his Facebook page at 6.35am, "It's time to fly against the chill winds again ... old helicopter, new pilot. Visibility is bad, hell's door is open."

I was perusing a list of Thailand air incidents recently - probably found it thru TV travel forum actually. There were a surprising number of military crashes, so many that I wondered how many planes they have left.

One of the mechanics on board allegedly did this. Perhaps he knew a particular thing about that airframe and Thai Army pilots.

Before take off, SM 1 Anan posted on his Facebook page at 6.35am, "It's time to fly against the chill winds again ... old helicopter, new pilot. Visibility is bad, hell's door is open."

sabotage?

Several years back an acquaintance was involved with unpacking/processing some newly arrived helicopters at Don Muang.

They needed all the shrink wrap removed, blades installed, tail gears set up & connected to the drive shaft etc...

That tail gear is set up at a 45 degree angle to the drive shaft gear & runs in an oil bath.

The local mechanics were checking the oil temperature.....Had make sure everything back there was 45 degrees ya know.

• Like 2

It was a variation on this same aircraft that had a hard landing two days ago--a Bell 205B, I think.

The deaths in this crash go to show how lucky the 15 passengers in the previous crash really were.

I hope they are performing their scheduled maintenance on these aircraft. I am guessing the Thais have their own version of the FAA to investigate.

Like i said before on a previous post,MAINTENANCE is an ugly word in Thailand.

2 Years ago 3 fell inside 2 weeks and investigations was done but as per normal the results was never made public. At that time there was an article about the state of the countries choppers. About half of the choppers were not airworthy and they were using spareparts from broken ones to fix the ones that were in better shape. Approximately the same amount they wasted on the BT 2000 was needed to fix all the choppers. But this same army can afford 1400 generals, a blip that keeps on falling and an aircraft carrier without aircraft. If they cant run an army only a devine intervention can save this country now.

• Like 1

Variation is a Bell 205A...a Bell 212 has two Pratt & Whitney (Canadian made) and are reliable..if either engine develops a problem the "governor" will allow the other engine to develop more power at standard sharing with both engines at 100%.

Problem in a crash investigation a number of facts must be establish.... helicopter must have at lease 300 ft for a safe auto-rotation, while taking off forward airspeed is important as below 300 ft one must have forward speed in event of engine failure. With a Twin engine, thou safe, the payload will determine how fast the auto-rotation to ground will be...with a load and without load.

Human Training Factor also plays in the formula of safety...pilot confident in auto-rotations...how current is his Proficiency...oh yes FAA...if Thai's follow their own investigation...well first of all not trained..only FAA trained personal will investigate the crash..along with Bell Helicopter Representatives from Texas...maintenance records will have to be translated...suspect these helicopters have many many hours...I have been approached on out of house consulting for these A/C...no pay just consulting. The fleet will be grounded till a full investigation occurs... the Bell 412's will continue to fly same engines but has a full articulated head with 4 blades with much more advanced design for safety and quieter... Rotor Ron..

post-27018-0-54049300-1416278353_thumb.j

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal. Again.
  • Like 2

Stop assuming. After all the other crashes I would say maintenance has been upgraded.

Several years back an acquaintance was involved with unpacking/processing some newly arrived helicopters at Don Muang.

They needed all the shrink wrap removed, blades installed, tail gears set up & connected to the drive shaft etc...

That tail gear is set up at a 45 degree angle to the drive shaft gear & runs in an oil bath.

The local mechanics were checking the oil temperature.....Had make sure everything back there was 45 degrees ya know.

OK------sorry but what are you trying to tell us,------"ya know"---- no I don't

What an amazingly poetic post....if sadly prophetic

Edited by dick turpin

2 Years ago 3 fell inside 2 weeks and investigations was done but as per normal the results was never made public. At that time there was an article about the state of the countries choppers. About half of the choppers were not airworthy and they were using spareparts from broken ones to fix the ones that were in better shape. Approximately the same amount they wasted on the BT 2000 was needed to fix all the choppers. But this same army can afford 1400 generals, a blip that keeps on falling and an aircraft carrier without aircraft. If they cant run an army only a devine intervention can save this country now.

they have blamed a magnetic fault and the bad forest spirits, which live in that part of kaeng krachan national park. That's what my wife has told me at that time. The thai population has bought this explanation as absolutely sensible

• Like 1

OK------sorry but what are you trying to tell us,------"ya know"---- no I don't

here:

"45 degree angle to the drive shaft gear & runs in an oil bath.

The local mechanics were checking the oil temperature.....Had make sure everything back there was 45 degrees"

the mechanic couldn't read/understand english

Stop assuming. After all the other crashes I would say maintenance has been upgraded.

YOU WOULD SAY ????????????????-------I would say a great and intelligent reply !

As has been said already the Bell 212 is a tough machine.

It also has 2 engines, so theres a bit more to it than "engine problems".

Don't trust those things....

Use to talk with a helo mechanic who's company ran mercy flight fleets.....he always said there were two types of helocopters the ones that have crashed & and the ones that haven't crashed yet......

RIP

• Like 1

Not much space to maneuver to in a rubber tree field, especially if the leaves are still on. Army helicopters daily fly over my place on their way south from the base in Hat Yai, so there must be capable mechanics and pilots. Accidents can happen everywhere.

They crash motorbikes, buses and cars on a regular basis. They can't park cars. They can't taxi planes on runways. They crash planes. They can't maintain planes (or anything really), can't maintain helicopters.... I see a trend starting to form. Thais and any form of transport are a bad mix. Even walking and using escalators are a struggle.

• Like 2