Thai editorial: Whose reform process is this?

webfact

EDITORIAL
Whose reform process is this?

The Nation

There is growing concern that the country's future is in the hands of the few; the government must open participation to ordinary citizens

BANGKOK: -- As long as the people are not allowed to voice their demands, what is the point in this country proceeding with so-called reform for a fairer society?

In the first half of November, as the National Reform Council prepared to begin its work, the military has already restricted, intervened or prevented as many as eight public forums throughout the country, according to data collected by rights group iLaw.

As the junta kicked off the reform process, a number of civil organisations began gathering to brainstorm ideas in the hope that they could participate in the formation of the national reform agenda.

Their voices represent people from all walks of life who have no representatives on the reform council. The junta exercised its power to handpick 250 persons to sit on the council. The majority come from the military, the civil service and an NGO "elite" whose knowledge of the everyday life ordinary citizens is limited. Critics charge the junta with enacting a top-down reform process that does not reflect the popular will. So far, that criticism is valid.

On November 5, the authorities sent military officers to interfere in a forum of civil networks called in the Northeast to discuss community rights and the constitution. Apparently suspicious of a political motive, the officers took down the names of all the participants. The meeting proceeded, though unevenly in an atmosphere of intimidating scrutiny.

On November 9, the military blocked a march by farmers, academics and NGO workers campaigning for land rights for poor farmers. Many of the marchers, an academic among them, were briefly detained for resisting martial law.

The group then demanded permission to submit its reform agenda to government representatives. The military screened the group and selected four of its members for a meeting with Prime Minister's Office Minister Panadda Diskul, on the condition that they did not wear their campaign T-shirts.

On November 15, an academic forum on democracy and transparency planned at Chulalongkorn University was scrapped after the military asked campus authorities to ban such activities. The organisers agreed to move the forum to Mahidol University in Nakhon Pathom but were forced to accept the presence of plainclothes officers who monitored the discussion.

On November 16, two linked events dealing with the topic of land reform were banned by security officers. When the talk show and concert "Our Land" was cancelled by military order, the organisers called a press conference to give their account of events. The press conference was also banned. Five of the organisers were summoned by police for questioning and made to sign an agreement that they would not hold any such event in the future.

Journalism has also been targeted, with the host of a news programme seeking reform proposals from citizens forced to step down because military officers found her questions "provocative".

Rather than allowing people of all classes, groups and walks of life to speak freely about reform, the junta this week launched its process of "people participation" to gather opinions and views from those "outside" the reform council.

However, the claim of popular participation, made in an effort to legitimate the junta-sponsored reform, is in reality a weak one.

The junta and its reform council are at liberty to consider only those facts, opinions and views that they want to hear. There is absolutely no guarantee that any views of ordinary citizens will reach the inner circles of decision-making then be put on the agenda for national reform.

If the junta is really serious about reform for the benefit of the people, it must relax its grip on freedom of expression and allow a greater space for public debate of the reform agenda and plans.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Whose-reform-process-is-this-30247956.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-18

• Like 1

Sounds like they are setting up a little club only for the elite and powerful who will own and dominate the ordinary person. You could see it from the day Suthep and the Mad Monk 1st stepped onto the street and started his March for domination.

No different from the recent past then. Pity still that Thaksin faltered his chance to truly serve the nation.

Edited by benalibina
  • Like 2

Sounds like they are setting up a little club only for the elite and powerful who will own and dominate the ordinary person. You could see it from the day Suthep and the Mad Monk 1st stepped onto the street and started his March for domination.

"for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap"

GALATIANS 6: 7 (KJV)

No different from the recent past then. Pity still that Thaksin faltered his chance to truly serve the nation.

At least he could be got rid of by election. Now real.change can only be achieved through a gun.

• Like 2

My God , they've grown some Balls

I hope the main article doesn't get deleted for being too subversive

Catch 22 situation . Suppressing freedom of speech appears to create a unified and contented nation, however underneath their is deep resentment, If they open the door with freedom of speech thing could very quickly get out of control. In my opinion the longer the oppression continues the greater the backlash. If the Juntas supposed main intentions are reforms followed by elections the people need to be heard.

At least he could be got rid of by election. Now real.change can only be achieved through a gun.

Hmmmm....not really see that happen. Therefore the masses are still too uneducated and desinterested in cultural, economical, political and mental progress. Years and years of indoctrination and fear will not go away easily. Not to say there wont be any turmoil on a smaller scale.

Catch 22 situation . Suppressing freedom of speech appears to create a unified and contented nation, however underneath their is deep resentment, If they open the door with freedom of speech thing could very quickly get out of control. In my opinion the longer the oppression continues the greater the backlash. If the Juntas supposed main intentions are reforms followed by elections the people need to be heard.

Deep resentment.....who ?

Come now, if there wasn't any resentment or undertones Martial Law would be lifted !!

But it must be comforting to know that 93% of the population are still under Martial Law because Of the 7% !!!!

Edited by Fat Haggis
  • Like 1

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

I would assume the entities mention in the article to start with.

Reading this site I see many Farangs opposed to the Junta , now I would assume they are more opposed to the overthrowing of democracy and suppression of free speech in principle , rather than a Thai political Agenda. Now if many Farangs feel resentment then how do you image Thais feel , although we don't know as the are not allowed to voice opinion. Imagine this happening in your own country. The wrongs or rights of the coup are irrelevant, you stop freedom of speech and elections and many will resent that regardless of their political beliefs

• Like 1

Thaksin must be sitting back in his smoking jacket and slippers having a quiet chortle to himself.

This lot are doing more for his popularity than any PR or populist policy could.

All he has to do is sit back and watch as the infighting over vested interests, corruption and dirty back room deals come back to bite them.

His party and the affiliates will probably get 60% in the next election if this keeps on going.

If reform meant pushing everyone in the same direction, they are doing a great job.

• Like 2

Pretty much every person in Thailand knew what this groups 'reform' was.

Ironically the ones that did not were the self appointed 'educated' ones protesting in Bangkok.

Or perhaps many of them did know, but actually do not care as long as their corrupt Bangkok elite are in place.

Perhaps the Junta thought that actually people did not really believe all that BS about reform, only to now find that the only reason they were allowed to carry out the coup was on the proviso that reform were actually carried out.

Now its clear there is no reform agenda, the chorus of discontent is starting to grow.

Pretty much every person in Thailand knew what this groups 'reform' was.

Ironically the ones that did not were the self appointed 'educated' ones protesting in Bangkok.

Or perhaps many of them did know, but actually do not care as long as their corrupt Bangkok elite are in place.

Perhaps the Junta thought that actually people did not really believe all that BS about reform, only to now find that the only reason they were allowed to carry out the coup was on the proviso that reform were actually carried out.

Now its clear there is no reform agenda, the chorus of discontent is starting to grow.

Interesting comments I pretty much said the same thing in the thread about media restrictions to stay in place. Edited by Fat Haggis

This has been pointed out many times since the Coup in these pages, the ruling elite and the military have hijacked the agenda and it is highly unlikely that they will give ground , committees have been formed but no mention of KnogKawai the bus driver or Sumatrai the train driver sitting at these meetings, lowering the tone to the working class level would not even be thought of , heaven forbid. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Reading this site I see many Farangs opposed to the Junta , now I would assume they are more opposed to the overthrowing of democracy and suppression of free speech in principle , rather than a Thai political Agenda. Now if many Farangs feel resentment then how do you image Thais feel , although we don't know as the are not allowed to voice opinion. Imagine this happening in your own country. The wrongs or rights of the coup are irrelevant, you stop freedom of speech and elections and many will resent that regardless of their political beliefs

Hmmmm....your statement that westerners and thais feel or think similar about overthrowing democracy and suppression of free speech.....incorrect IMO.

Hmmmm....your statement that westerners and thais feel or think similar about overthrowing democracy and suppression of free speech.....incorrect IMO.

That's quite obvious as 93% would testify to ?

But without breaking forum rules would you care to elaborate ?

Fair enough mate, I'd imagine that's why I feel there is deep resentment and you don't .

Come now, if there wasn't any resentment or undertones Martial Law would be lifted !!

But it must be comforting to know that 93% of the population are still under Martial Law because Of the 7% !!!!

Quite correct.

The fact is that the minority fanatics kill innocent protestors. Minority fanatics kill innocent women and children. It is the minority fanatics who march. It is the minority fanatics who intimidate, condescend, belittle anyone that has a different view point. It is the minority fanatics that threaten to behead themselves without a second thought.

Peace loving Thai's have died because the peaceful majority did not speak up until it was too late. This can also be said in Germany, Iraq, Palestine, Syria, Somalia etc etc.

PM Prayut heard the voice of the majority and acted. He is speaking up for the silent majority lest the vocal violent minority replicate what happened in Bangkok and Trat on nearly a daily basis. History has shown it is not the majority we should fear. It is the minority.

Well done Haggis for highlighting this and thanks.