Extension Based on Thai Wife - income method

Apologies in advance for this question, as I thought I would find the answer in other posts.

I have extended my visa based on having a Thai wife for the last 10 years now. I always use the 400K baht in the bank method. However, I was thinking of changing to the income based/bank account based method instead. From what I can tell from the threads I have read, I am confusing the extension based on marriage with that based on retirement and in fact cannot do a mixture of income/bank account funding.

My money from the UK is in fact a pension, so I am not sure that would count as income anyway as according to this it would need to be from working for a company.

1. 'Letter from the applicant’s company to certify salary that the applicant receives not less than 40,000 baht per month (identifier position and salary) or 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account, these funds must have been in the account for a minimum term of 2 months.'

Thanks for your help

Correct, based upon marriage you cannot use a combinaiton of income and money in the bank.

That your income is from a pension is no problem, that is the case for many members. The British embassy will certify your income based upon your pension. They will want to see a pension statement.

You can use the income of 40k baht from a pension. You would just need a income letter from your embassy.

There is no combination of income and money in the bank for extensions based upon marriage.

Not sure where you found the write up you posted. This from immigration order 138/2557 clause 2.18.

''5. Only for Criteria (5) paragraph 1 and (6), the applicant must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook, or attach documents proving that the parents or alien husband earns an average monthly income of no less than Baht 40,000 throughout the year, such as any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving retirement pension, evidence of receiving interest from funds deposit, or evidence of having other funds issued by the relevant agency. An affidavit must also be submitted confirming the alien’s marital or parental status with a Thai national."

UbonJoe, Mario2008 thanks for the quick reply. I thought I was mixing my extensions.

Ubonjoe, I got the write up after clicking on one of the links in a post on ThaiVisa, It is obviously wrong/out of date.

Thanks again for your help

Help, I want to change my visa next March and I thought I could use a combination of money in the bank plus pension ( I took early retirement so until I'm 65 I only get 25000 pm income ). Based on the above comments does that mean I can't get a marriage visa or do I need to ensure 400k is in my bank for 2 months prior to applying ? Comments most appreciated.

You cna get a visa, bt not an extension of stay based upon 25,000 baht a month. You will indeed need to park 400,000 baht in a bankaccount in Thailand to be able to get an extension based upon marriage. (2 months before applying for the extension).

Only retirement allows the combinaiton of money in the bank and income.

Help, I want to change my visa next March and I thought I could use a combination of money in the bank plus pension ( I took early retirement so until I'm 65 I only get 25000 pm income ). Based on the above comments does that mean I can't get a marriage visa or do I need to ensure 400k is in my bank for 2 months prior to applying ? Comments most appreciated.

For extension of stay based upon marriage putting 400k baht in the bank is the only option since your income is below 40k baht.

If you are 50 or over you could use the combination method for a an extension based upon retirement. But you would need 500k baht in the bank to reach the total of 800k baht needed.

The basic UK state pension is only around 30,000 baht per month, so that on it's own wouldn't qualify.

It would require a top up from other private pensions to meet the financial requirements.

Then again, I am told provided you get a letter from the British Embassy confirming you are in receipt of a state pension, that is sufficient (even though it doesn't meet the monthly financial requirement).

Can anyone confirm that?

The basic UK state pension is only around 30,000 baht per month, so that on it's own wouldn't qualify.

It would require a top up from other private pensions to meet the financial requirements.

Then again, I am told provided you get a letter from the British Embassy confirming you are in receipt of a state pension, that is sufficient (even though it doesn't meet the monthly financial requirement).

Can anyone confirm that?

You have to meet the minimum income requirements. There is no way around it. You were told wrong.

Perhaps confusion with getting a multiple entry non-o in the UK from one of the consulates that only requires you to be on an old age pension.

ubonjoe, on 19 Nov 2014 - 16:18, said:
Faz, on 19 Nov 2014 - 16:08, said:

Can anyone confirm that?

You have to meet the minimum income requirements. There is no way around it. You were told wrong.

Perhaps confusion with getting a multiple entry non-o in the UK from one of the consulates that only requires you to be on an old age pension.

Cheers Joe. Yes, some of the old boys get totally confused with Visas and Extensions.

Then again I do know one old boy who is on an extension based on retirement, who lives on his state pension, no money in the bank.

He pays an agent in Pattaya 26,000 baht every year to do his extension. I don't know how they get away with it.

ubonjoe, on 19 Nov 2014 - 16:18, said:

Can anyone confirm that?

Cheers Joe. Yes, some of the old boys get totally confused with Visas and Extensions.

Then again I do know one old boy who is on an extension based on retirement, who lives on his state pension, no money in the bank.

He pays an agent in Pattaya 26,000 baht every year to do his extension. I don't know how they get away with it.

There are ads immediately below these posts offering retirement visas with no funds. Ask them how they do it.wink.png

You're required to show 400,000bt in a Thai bank account (marriage visa), I read somewhere (I'll link it if I can find it) that the 400,000 has to have come from an overseas bank and proof of transfer is required. Can anyone confirm this please.

EDITED to add link

http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/Thailand-Marriage-Visa.php

It also states in this link that a combination of savings and income can be used to reach the magic 400k (I accept this linked website info may be out of date and need changing).

Edited by thecatman

The info on that website is not out of date it is just competently wrong. There has never been a combination allowed for extensions based upon marriage.

Thanks Ubonjoe. What about having to show/prove that the 400k has been transferred from an overseas account?? Is that correct?? Anyone had any experience of this?

Another question...this time about the 40,000 a month route.

If you physically paid in 40k of your own cash, say on the 1st of the month, to your account, withdrew it over the course of the month, then 'repaid' that 40k into your bank on the 1st of the following month and continued the process for the necessary period of time...would that be suffice to qualify as regular proof of income?

thecatman, on 20 Nov 2014 - 10:19, said:

Another question...this time about the 40,000 a month route.

If you physically paid in 40k of your own cash, say on the 1st of the month, to your account, withdrew it over the course of the month, then 'repaid' that 40k into your bank on the 1st of the following month and continued the process for the necessary period of time...would that be suffice to qualify as regular proof of income?

No, the monthly proof of income must be in the form of a letter from the British Embassy.

How to obtain a pension/income letter for Thai Immigration

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

For one he's overpaying, as it can be had for 17 - 20,000. They way the do it is with a corrupt officer that overlooks the funds requirements. This practice is what possibly what caused Jomtien and other offices to be stripped of the authority for doing conversion to non-imm visa when getting an extension.

This is not quite right. Many can meet the income requirement, myself included, on state pension alone. The is a significant difference between basic state pension and state pension.

sandyf, on 22 Nov 2014 - 13:17, said:sandyf, on 22 Nov 2014 - 13:17, said:
Faz, on 19 Nov 2014 - 16:08, said:Faz, on 19 Nov 2014 - 16:08, said:

This is not quite right. Many can meet the income requirement, myself included, on state pension alone. The is a significant difference between basic state pension and state pension.

Are you from the UK sandy?

The current basic rate for a UK state pension is £113.10 per week. You may also receive an Additional State Pension as an extra amount which will be based on your NI contributions, that is if you reach Pension age before 6th April 2016.

The qualifying period of NI contributions to receive full state pension is 35 years.

I have 45 years of contributions. If I retired before 6th April 2016 (which I can't) I would receive an extra £18.45 per week in addition payments.

£113.10 + £18.45 = £131.55 total. £131.55 x 52 ~12 = £570.05 per month.

From 6th April 2016 the UK State pension scheme is changing;

You won’t be eligible for the Additional State Pension if you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016. Instead, you’ll get the new State Pension.

A man born on or after 6 April 1951, or a woman born on or after 6 April 1953 will get the new pension

The full new State Pension will be no less than £148.40 per week. (643.01 per month)

To reach the 400,000 monthly income (based on 51baht = £1) would require a monthly Income of £784.31.

Of course this is achievable by company or private pensions on top of the state pension, but not the state pension alone.

If you have additional information please advise.

Edited by Faz

Lite Beer, on 22 Nov 2014 - 14:34, said:

New retirees after April 2016.

A lot will get less than the 148.40 (around 155 after inflation) weekly amount.

Some will get more.

It aint an exact science.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-2634215/Why-millions-WONT-155-new-state-pension-theyre-expecting.html

Agreed.

I don't know of anyone though who currently gets a UK state pension of £784.31 per month regardless of their contributions, to meet the 400,000 baht monthly income.

• Like 1

Faz, on 22 Nov 2014 - 15:49, said:
Lite Beer, on 22 Nov 2014 - 14:34, said:Lite Beer, on 22 Nov 2014 - 14:34, said:

New retirees after April 2016.

A lot will get less than the 148.40 (around 155 after inflation) weekly amount.

Some will get more.

It aint an exact science.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-2634215/Why-millions-WONT-155-new-state-pension-theyre-expecting.html

Agreed.

I don't know of anyone though who currently gets a UK state pension of £784.31 per month regardless of their contributions, to meet the 400,000 baht monthly income.

That should read 40,000......sorry

Can anyone confirm that?

This can only be obtained from outside Thailand. You just have to provide proof you receive state pension and you get a 12 month visa based on retirement but you must leave Thailand every 90 days and you cannot renew this visa in Thailand, you must return home.

Jaggg88, on 24 Nov 2014 - 07:25, said:

Can anyone confirm that?

This can only be obtained from outside Thailand. You just have to provide proof you receive state pension and you get a 12 month visa based on retirement but you must leave Thailand every 90 days and you cannot renew this visa in Thailand, you must return home.

Sorry Jag, I don't understand your post.

The topic is about extension of stay based on marriage and the monthly income method of proving funds.

My question has already been answered...............No!

The UK state pension alone does not meet the requirements of proof of funds for an extension based on marriage.

I think you are referring to the 'O' or O-A' Visa obtained in the UK

sandyf, on 22 Nov 2014 - 13:17, said:sandyf, on 22 Nov 2014 - 13:17, said:
Faz, on 19 Nov 2014 - 16:08, said:Faz, on 19 Nov 2014 - 16:08, said:

Are you from the UK sandy?

The current basic rate for a UK state pension is £113.10 per week. You may also receive an Additional State Pension as an extra amount which will be based on your NI contributions, that is if you reach Pension age before 6th April 2016.

The qualifying period of NI contributions to receive full state pension is 35 years.

I have 45 years of contributions. If I retired before 6th April 2016 (which I can't) I would receive an extra £18.45 per week in addition payments.

£113.10 + £18.45 = £131.55 total. £131.55 x 52 ~12 = £570.05 per month.

From 6th April 2016 the UK State pension scheme is changing;

You won’t be eligible for the Additional State Pension if you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016. Instead, you’ll get the new State Pension.

A man born on or after 6 April 1951, or a woman born on or after 6 April 1953 will get the new pension

The full new State Pension will be no less than £148.40 per week. (643.01 per month)

To reach the 400,000 monthly income (based on 51baht = £1) would require a monthly Income of £784.31.

Of course this is achievable by company or private pensions on top of the state pension, but not the state pension alone.

If you have additional information please advise.

Yes I am from the UK. Your previous post was in the present tense and now you appear to be mixing old and new.

I had 44 years contributions and was by no means a high earner and my state pension which started just over 2 years ago is 192 pounds per week. When I did my marriage extension in July that was sufficient to meet the income requirement. There will be many pensioners out there with more state pension than I have.

If you are looking to what will happen when it changes then you really need a crystal ball. They have stated it will be no less than £148.40 so there is the possibility of it being higher but reality says that is unlikely.

The real question mark revolves around the additional state pension which is particularly important to people in your age group. In your early years there was no options, younger people have had the benefit of some option.

Over the years the additional state pension has taken various forms which has created a significant headache for the government and the pain killers are no longer working, hence the reforms. I have seen conflicting articles on the future of the additional pension and it is extremely unclear if it will be immediate termination on all additional pension or not.

Think about this. Two men with full working lives are due to retire mid 2016. When the option to opt out of SERPS became available, one took it and one didn't. When mid 2016 arrives, both will get the basic state pension but one will also have the private pension created from the SERPS contributions. Maybe the government will try and steal the private pension, but I doubt it.

Personally I think that they will come out with a formula to run down the additional pension over a period of time.